The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple.
Welcome to the club, Roslyn, I definately agree with you. Mountbatten himself admired Edwinas bravery and I'm sure that he was deeply in love with her. Their marriage had a big crisis in the early stage, but it is said that the became more and more close in their last years, when they both were matured. Mountbatten said especially in the last years of Edwinas live they were happier than ever.

And its true, I think he never was the same after her death. He never remarried though he had offers. I read this story that there was a european princess who was madly in love with him and he admitted that he felt caressed by it, but he didn't seriously care about it because no woman could be compared to Edwina in his eyes. The name of the princess was never mentioned.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Aristocracy

Hi Iowabelle,

I never heard that Edwina had an affair with Gloria Vanderbilt, Sr.
I have heard that Nada and GV,Sr. did, but not Edwina....

But then, I don't know everything and with that group - who knows what transpired!!

Larry

Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think I got Nada and Edwina confused. But maybe it's wishful thinking on my part!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I think I got Nada and Edwina confused. But maybe it's wishful thinking on my part!
Easy way to find out is to find a bio. on "Little Gloria." There were rumors about Gloria Morgan, her mother, but I didn't think she was a lesbian. And I don't think Edwina was either.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Royal Highness

I think there was a book on Gloria V., which went into great detail on Nada and Gloria M.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think there was a book on Gloria V., which went into great detail on Nada and Gloria M.
I think the Nada and Gloria M relationship was detailed in the book Little Gloria Happy at last, which detailed the custody battle between Gloria Vanderbilt Senior And Gertrude Whitney.

I don't believe that Nada had an relationship with Edwina. At least I have never read of such a thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

That's the book, Zonk. And yes, you were right, no relationship between Nada and Edwina. (Help, I've been Warrened again!)
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
(Help, I've been Warrened again!)
It's not so bad IB. I've been Warrened lots of times. You get used to it after a while. . . .

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

No Nada & Edwina? Oh, how I hate german Wikipedia, you really can't trust these sources.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
It's not so bad IB. I've been Warrened lots of times. You get used to it after a while. . . .

I wouldn't so much mind if he weren't right...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wouldn't so much mind if he weren't right...
(Him being right is kind of like Chevy Chase: He's Warren and we're NOT! )

Getting back on subject. . . . wasn't Edwina instrumental with the Red Cross?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Philip Ziegler's book "Mountbatten" there is a whole chapter devoted to Edwina's indiscretions early in the marriage and details about the various persons she was supposed to have been linked with.
Russo I cannot find any reference that Edwina was involved with the Red Cross.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

I don't recall reading that Edwina was involved in the Red Cross as well.
Perhaps we are thinking of Wallis during WWII, she was active in the Red Cross in the Bahamas.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Edwina Mountbatten was " Superintendent in Chief St John Ambulance Brigade, and Chairman of St John and Red Cross Services Hospitals Welfare Department." Here is a link to a picture of her meeting with some people in Japan.

Lady Edwina Mountbatten (second from left) sits in a hospital lounge room in Japan and meets with a group of Red Cross officials. Lady Mountbatten is visiting hospitals and other medical ...

I think that it was under the auspices of the Red Cross that she went into the prison camps at the end of the war and began to prepare the prisoners for evacuation. I could be wrong in that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I don't recall reading that Edwina was involved in the Red Cross as well.
Perhaps we are thinking of Wallis during WWII, she was active in the Red Cross in the Bahamas.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info Mermaid1962.

It looks the German Wikipedia isn't the only thing that is off. No information regarding the American Red Cross is mentioned in the English site as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Heir Apparent

You're welcome, Zonk. It's not very often that I get to provide a moderator, much less a super-moderator with new information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Thanks for the info Mermaid1962.

It looks the German Wikipedia isn't the only thing that is off. No information regarding the American Red Cross is mentioned in the English site as well.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Edwina Mountbatten was " Superintendent in Chief St John Ambulance Brigade, and Chairman of St John and Red Cross Services Hospitals Welfare Department." Here is a link to a picture of her meeting with some people in Japan.

Lady Edwina Mountbatten (second from left) sits in a hospital lounge room in Japan and meets with a group of Red Cross officials. Lady Mountbatten is visiting hospitals and other medical ...

I think that it was under the auspices of the Red Cross that she went into the prison camps at the end of the war and began to prepare the prisoners for evacuation. I could be wrong in that, though.
Ah! That's what I was thinking of. No worries, Odette, this was, after all, over a decade since I read the bio. on Edwina so Russo's mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, not to mention she's getting older. . . .
Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well Mermaid saved the day for all of us.
She must be younger and sharper and willing to keep us well informed.
Thank you Mermaid..Don't worry Russo Odette is older than you and she has a lot of blonde moments...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm exactly between 45 and 50. I had read a three-generation biography of the Mountbatten men within the last year (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip), which is how I remembered. Even so, I googled for the information just so I'd be sure that I remembered the material correctly.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm exactly between 45 and 50. I had read a three-generation biography of the Mountbatten men within the last year (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip), which is how I remembered. Even so, I googled for the information just so I'd be sure that I remembered the material correctly.
Perhaps you can share the names of the books and the authors?
I like reading about the family and that would be a good way to add to the facts I have in my mind about them.
We will not touch on the subject of age. Still good wine and good cheese are getting better with age...That is my motto these days...

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten