Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

BBC - Hampshire - Lord Mountbatten at Broadlands

Nice and interesting footage.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that was interesting to see, particularly the part about him punching Queen Victoria in the nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The shocking love triangle between Lord Mountbatten, his wife and the founder of modern India | Mail Online
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't find this article about the Mountbattens and Nehru particularly shocking. It's pretty much a well-known story. But I do find the Mountbattens' conduct of their marriage shocking since I'm a rather conventional soul. But the Mountbattens seem to have enjoyed rather unconventional marital situations (another example, Nadia Milford Haven and her husband, the second Marquess, aka George Mountbatten, who helped raise Prince Philip).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Administrator

The Lady Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru relationship has been common knowledge for decades, as have the details of Lord and Lady M's dalliances.
I've no idea why it's now suddenly become a revelation.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Courtier

I think it would be more correct to say that the 'affair' has been a common knowledge for Royal Watchers and those who are interested in History. To most people, especially those outside the UK, it is hardly a well-known fact: while most people know about Nehru and some have heard about Lord Mountbatten (mostly, because of his tragic death), few know or care about details of their private lives.

As for why the 'revelation' has been made now, slow news day + rumours of upcoming movie might have prompted DM editors to come up with something.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

I guess it's only a matter of time before someone rediscovers - shock, horror, gasp! - Lord and Lady Milford Haven's lifestyle, interests and, shall I say, 'collectables'.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

This story wasn't shocking for me too, nothing new for royal watchers. I think it could have something to do with the upcoming movie about the Mountbattens that the Daily Mail rehashes that issue again. It is said that Cate Blanchett will play Edwina in this movie, but I have no serious information about it.

Btw, here's a video in which Lady Pamela Hicks is talking about her mother Edwina's and Nehru's relationship:

'Nehru, Edwina united in souls, not bodies': IBNLive.com > Videos
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

The Lady Mountbatten and Jawaharlal Nehru relationship has been common knowledge for decades, as have the details of Lord and Lady M's dalliances.
I've no idea why it's now suddenly become a revelation.
Was it a slow day?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

What do you believe - was Mountbatten gay or just bisexual? He doesn't seemed to have much interest in woman, but I believe he was a great gentleman to them!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
What do you believe - was Mountbatten gay or just bisexual? He doesn't seemed to have much interest in woman, but I believe he was a great gentleman to them!
I think he was one of those men who thinks of women as people, not possessions, and isn't possessive and jealous.

I'm reading "Indian Summer" at present. The author writes at one point, "The fact that Mountbatten was not threatened by gay men does not automatically imply that he himself was gay; it could be taken to signify the opposite. His reaction on being told that one of his servants was gay was characteristically unflusterd. 'Of course,' he replied, 'All the best valets are.' The conclusion drawn by most of those who knew him was that, while he enjoyed flirtation with everyone, Dickie was not terribly interested in actually having sex with anyone."
Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Gentry

Yes, but Mountbatten also said he and Edwina spent their whole married lives in and out of other people's beds. He had a long-term mistress who was even photographed on vacation with Edwina and Patricia! I don't have access to my Mountbatten books at the moment, but he got around albeit probably not as much as Edwina or his sil did!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Yes, but Mountbatten also said he and Edwina spent their whole married lives in and out of other people's beds. He had a long-term mistress who was even photographed on vacation with Edwina and Patricia! I don't have access to my Mountbatten books at the moment, but he got around albeit probably not as much as Edwina or his sil did!
I don't remember Edwina "getting around" much. Just some well-publicized, long-term affairs. Then again, I read her bio. a good decade ago and Warren knows what tricks my brain plays on the aged. . . .
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

In the end there are so many rumours and stories about Lord Louis Mountbattens sexuality, it goes from a flirt with his cousin David, the Prince of Wales, to rumours that he was pedophile (I hope and believe, this is not true).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think he was one of those men who thinks of women as people, not possessions, and isn't possessive and jealous.
Its my supposition as well and he really seemed to behave like a prime example for a gentleman.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Mountbatten said that? Are there any sources? I never read something like that and can't hardly imagine it. Edwina began first with the affairs and I remember one letter, Dickie wrote her about how upset he was, at the same time he promised her in a letter that he would try to be nice and polite to her boyfriend because he loved her and saw her as his best friend in life, who he didn't want to lose.
The woman you mentioned was Yola Letellier and as far as I know Edwina was jelous as hell of her, but theres indeed a picture of them together in vacation and they seem to have a good time together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pimu/2127783607/ (Edwina, Patrica & Yola)
Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think Edwina got around "quite a bit." Gloria Vanderbilt's mother for example.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

That's my opinion too. It is said that she also had an affair with her sister in law, George's wife Nada. She lived a life of her own, she did great journeys to egypt or through the South Seas - all alone. She surely wasn't the typical housewife and mother.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I read a biography about the Mountbatten men (Prince Louis, Lord Louis, and Prince Philip) that was extemely discreet. However, reading between the lines, it seems that Lady Mountbatten had a "wild" time during their honeymoon in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
That's my opinion too. It is said that she also had an affair with her sister in law, George's wife Nada. She lived a life of her own, she did great journeys to egypt or through the South Seas - all alone. She surely wasn't the typical housewife and mother.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Edwina Mountbatten was a fascinating woman and her talents and abilities amaze me. I've just read a part in Indian Summer relating to events in early September 1947, just after partition, when absolutely horrible things were occurring throughout the subcontinent. Dickie was busying himself organising Government House, particularly the map room which was fitted out with lots of charts, graphs and telephones. He had his staff stay up for 2 nights getting all the little flags into the correct places to represent the Punjab boundary. He devoted much of his own time to issues such as whether visitors ought to come through a special entrance and be given a special pass.

While Dickie was still "fiddling with his map room", Edwina was getting things done. She established and chaired the United Council for Relief and Welfare. "It was a swift, effective and hands-on attempt to deal with the reality of the situation. Edwina co-ordinated fifteen separate relief organizations, two government ministries and one Mahatma into a single targeted team with clear instructions and purpose. She began touring the worst areas of trouble, mobilizing volunteers and personally directing the Red Cross effort to improve water, sanitation and medical supplies". When she was out in the field she would stop her car to help wounded people and take bodies to morgues.

Edwina was a born leader; she instinctively knew how to manage people well and make things happen. She was the sort of woman who, if she'd been born 70 or so years later, would have been Prime Minister or or holder of some other equally significant, or perhaps more significant, position.

I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple. I believe they cared deeply for each other even if their private lives were a little unconventional.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. The work that Edwina did in helping the Allied prisoners in South East Asia at the end of WWII was remarkable. She and the Red Cross were in the prison camps before the Allied troops, for example. Lord Mountbatten was supposed to have never been the same after her death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Edwina was a born leader; she instinctively knew how to manage people well and make things happen. She was the sort of woman who, if she'd been born 70 or so years later, would have been Prime Minister or or holder of some other equally significant, or perhaps more significant, position.

I find them both extremely interesting as individuals, and they made a remarkable couple. I believe they cared deeply for each other even if their private lives were a little unconventional.

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten