The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Well, I think, he knows how the rest of the world lives as he lives alone in London, not financed by his parents... As far as I know.
I think the article pointed out that he still had access to money --- I would assume some type of trust. I wonder if his parents could petition the courts to withhold payments from the trust to him -- thereby, denying him money with which to finance his habit.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I think the article pointed out that he still had access to money --- I would assume some type of trust. I wonder if his parents could petition the courts to withhold payments from the trust to him -- thereby, denying him money with which to finance his habit.
Allright, I deleted my fiances-quote as I'm not sure about it. But I think he knows "real live". Maybe he can't manage the balancing act between normal and working daylife and the life of his family... I'm not sure, but it makes me a bit sad. He really needs help IMO. But he also really needs to WANT to become clean.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
If he has access to money then it's a controlled allowance. His father has changed his will that Nicholas doesn't inherit the family home Broadlands and the money that goes with it. He did this when Nicholas' drug problems began years back. Nicholas will inherit the title (he's currently Lord Romsey, his father is now Lord Brabourne and in line for the Montbatten title when his mother dies) but not the estate or money.

The Duke of Malborough did the same when his oldest son the Marquis of Blandford was a drug addict in the 1980s, he's since cleaned up his act and the 2 are close again, and Jamie Blandford works on the Blemheim estate.

I think this story is sad, as the last article I read about Nicholas was that his last stint in rehab had worked for him and he had been clean for a number of months. The family have sent him to rehab several times and have cut him off as well, it seems it hasn't worked.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator

It is a tragedy there is not doubt about it. But as previously mentioned....Nicholas has to want to get well. Trying to stay drug free is an ever day struggle...you don't just wake up one day clean.

Also, as previously mentioned the money aspect is a problem...as it before it seems like money wasn't a problem therefore he could get continual access to drugs.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles's godson on crack: Nicholas Knatchbull, heir to Mountbatten's £100m fortune, found in squalid crack den | Mail Online
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Oh well. Up to Nicholas I 'spose.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh no, poor Nicky
A lost soul, I'd endeavour to say. It's incredibly unfortunate that his life (when faced with immense opportunity and a good deal of wealth) has taken the path it has, but he is accountable for it's direction, as is everyone for the decisions we make. He chose to abuse the substance once and the rest is history. Once an addict always an addict. Sad, but true.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The Telegraph, 9. August 2009:

Killer of Lord Mountbatten enjoys freedom, 30 years on from IRA murder - Telegraph
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the link, Dierna. The Nicholas Knatchbull we've been discussing on the thread was named for the Nicholas Knatchbull who was murdered at age 14 on that boat, along with Lord Mountbatten, the Dowager Lady Brabourne, and Paul Maxwell. He would have been the second Nicholas's uncle.

This family surely has had more than its fair share of tragedy by now...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

You're welcome, Ella Kay You're right with everything. In two weeks it is the 30th anniversary of the assasination of Lord Mountbatten, Nicholas Knatchbull, Dowager Lady Brabourne and Paul Maxwell. It must be terrible for Lady Patricia Mountbatten if she has read or heard the news about her grandson Nicholas in this weeks...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I found this interview-video of Patricia Countess Mountbatten of Burma. Its not very current, 2002 it was taken, but I found it quite interesting because I never heard her for such a "long" time on a stretch:

INA Boutique
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I wasn't quite sure where to put this article. It's about Lord Mountbatten's assassination, but it put me in mind of the controversy about the protection that the Duke of York wants to continue for his daughters. Prince Andrew would have been about 19 years old when Mountbatten was murdered. Who could blame a father from wanting the best protection for his daughters?Mountbatten ‘a marked man for 20 years’ - Times Online
Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Few people have known such appalling family tragedy as Countess Mountbatten. She tells Elizabeth Grice how she used the experience to help others
On the calm, fine Bank Holiday Monday morning of August 27, 1979, the Mountbattens' old green fishing boat, Shadow V, was making its last lobster-pot excursion of the summer holidays.

Countess Mountbatten: 'I cried every morning for six months' - Telegraph

Thirty years after the IRA murdered Earl Mountbatten, his grandson Timothy Knatchbull yesterday told of finally finding peace and forgiveness.
Mr Knatchbull was just 14 when the Provisionals blew up his family's boat. He narrowly survived but his twin brother Nicholas was among the four killed.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

BBC World Service - News - Mountbatten's death: 30 years on
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

You're a better person than I am, Timothy Knatchbull.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

His story is heart-breaking yet fascinating. What an interesting, interesting man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
You're a better person than I am, Timothy Knatchbull.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Courtier

Read more: Why I've finally forgiven the IRA: Thirty years on, Mountbatten's grandson speaks | Mail Online
[/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Skydragon thank you so much. I feel guilty because I doubt very much that I could be so forgiving.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

Wow... I salute her and her family... What a strong sense of faith to have..compassion...and love. And how wonderful to talk about grief, a child's death, to not bottle it up inside...
Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

The story about Cate Blanchett playing Countess [Edwina] Mountbatten of Burma in an upcoming film "Indian Summer" has been moved to the Royal Library.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/6189639/Lord-Mountbattens-great-nephew-is-Deputy-Lieutenant-of-Devon.html

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten