The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Yes, he is a generation older than the current King, but he is not a step-uncle.

Look at it like this, you have an aunt, your mom's sister, who marries a man with his own children, you are then sort a step- first cousin to them. When they have children of their own, you are then a step-second cousin...in no way are you an uncle or aunt...unless it is honorary.. :)
I think relationships through marriage are not as important as blood relationships. What's more important now is that Prince Phillip and King Carl XVI Gustav are third cousins. Prince Phillip descends from The Princess Alice, the second daughter of QV, while the Swedish King from The Prince Leopold the Duke of Albany, the youngest son of QV. The only current European monarch with Battenberg blood (since Queen Louise did not bear the King Gustav VI Adolf any surviving children) is King Juan Carlos I of Spain. His paternal grandmother Queen Victoria Eugenia was a Battenberg.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
PDV says her grandfather was the maternal uncle of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (from the Peerage website we learn that her father is George Ivar Louis Mountbatten, 4th Marquess of Milford Haven, so PDV is wrong here because actually her grandfather would have been Prince Philip's first cousin)
Here's one way of showing the relationship:

Prince Louis of Battenberg, Marquess of Milford Haven > George > David > George, 4th Marquess > Lady Tatiana
Prince Louis of Battenberg, Marquess of Milford Haven > Alice > Philip of Greece, Duke of Edinburgh

Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Here's one way of showing the relationship:

Prince Louis of Battenberg, Marquess of Milford Haven > George > David > George, 4th Marquess > Lady Tatiana
Prince Louis of Battenberg, Marquess of Milford Haven > Alice > Philip of Greece, Duke of Edinburgh
Exactly. What is the other way of showing the relationship?

Tatiana's grandfather, David (3rd Marquess) would be Philip's first cousin. I can't see any other relationship.
............ Unless PDV meant her great-grandfather (2nd Marquess) who was Philip's maternal uncle....... I might have mistranslated great-grandfather as grandfather but I will have to look at it again to know for sure.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly. What is the other way of showing the relationship?
In a family tree format I can't reproduce here.

Quote:
I might have mistranslated great-grandfather as grandfather but I will have to look at it again to know for sure.
It doesn't matter about PdV. It has served its purpose in raising the Battenberg/Mountbatten topic once again.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM

^ The Mountbatten/Battenberg topic is a good one to raise from time to time.

Morgaine, in post 6, attached this fascinating picture from 1894. Can we have a full ID on the photo please? I can ID Nicky and Alix, but not the others with any sense of certainty.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinulord View Post
What's more important now is that Prince Phillip and King Carl XVI Gustav are third cousins. Prince Phillip descends from The Princess Alice, the second daughter of QV, while the Swedish King from The Prince Leopold the Duke of Albany, the youngest son of QV.
They are also 3rd cousins through another of Queen Victoria's sons, Prince Arthur the Duke of Connaught whose daughter married King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
^ The Mountbatten/Battenberg topic is a good one to raise from time to time.

Morgaine, in post 6, attached this fascinating picture from 1894. Can we have a full ID on the photo please? I can ID Nicky and Alix, but not the others with any sense of certainty.

Starting at the top, left to right... Czar Nicholas, Czarina Alexandra, Princess Alice (later the 1st Marchioness of Milford Haven), Grand Duke Ernie (her brother).

Second Row: Princess Irene, the famous and illustrious beauty, Princess Ella (Grand Duchess Serge of Russia), not sure who the lady is on her right, and then Grand Duke Serge of Russia. He was murdered in the early 1900's.

If I have the two women on either side of Ella wrong..please correct me!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Princess Alice (later the 1st Marchioness of Milford Haven
Princess Victoria was 1st Marchioness of Milford Haven.

Quote:
not sure who the lady is on her right
Victoria Melita, wife of the Grand Duke (Ernie)
Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you.. I meant Victoria. And thank you...I could not for the life of me, remember his wife's name.. :-)
Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 AM

^ Thanks, Lady M!

Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich, brother of Nicky, was Governor-General of Moscow and was assasinated in February 1905 by a Social Revolutionary (that is, a member of the SR party). As he rode through the Kremlin gates, a SR threw a nitroglycerine bomb at him, and it landed in his lap!

Was royal house was Princess Ella, his wife, from? In Russia she was known as the Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna and was apparently very popular in Russia. She was widely loved and admired for her gentle nature. She was one of the first on the scene and was so traumatized by the scene of her husband's body,literally blown to bits, with his shattered flesh scattered in the street. She retired from public life and founded a convent.

Source: W. Bruce Lincoln's book, The Romanovs: Autocrats of All the Russias, pg. 651
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Was royal house was Princess Ella, his wife, from? In Russia she was known as the Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna and was apparently very popular in Russia.
She is another Hesse-Darmstadt. Grand Duke Ludwig IV and Princess Alice (of GB) had, among others:

• Ernst Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and bei Rhine (who married Victoria Melita of Edinburgh);
• Victoria, Princess of Battenberg and Marchioness of Milford Haven;
• Elisabeth (Ella), married Grand Duke Serge of Russia;
• Irene, Princess Henry of Prussia;
• Alix, Czarina of Russia
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 AM

^ Thank you so much for the quick answers. I did think she must be from a Hesse house. So this makes her an aunt, or great-aunt to Lord (Louis) Mountbatten. ??
Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Here's the Hesse-Darmstadt descent:

Grand Duke Ludwig II > Alexander > Louis of Battenberg > Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma
and
Grand Duke Ludwig II > Karl > Ludwig IV > Victoria > Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma

Lord Mountbatten's Aunt Ella:
Grand Duke Ludwig II > Karl > Ludwig IV > Elisabeth, Grand Duchess Serge
Old 12-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
^ Thank you so much for the quick answers. I did think she must be from a Hesse house. So this makes her an aunt, or great-aunt to Lord (Louis) Mountbatten. ??
GD Ella would be Lord Louis' aunt, since his mother Princess Victoria of Hesse (later Marchioness of Milford-Haven) and GD Ella were sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
They are also 3rd cousins through another of Queen Victoria's sons, Prince Arthur the Duke of Connaught whose daughter married King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden.
Thanks for that. Forgot about the Duke of Connaught.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Tatiana Mountbatten will be on The Hills (MTV)...you can see a bit of her in the preview...

The Hills (Season 3): Preview | Video | The Hills (Season 3) | Preview | MTV
Old 02-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think I only see American girls and a french guy who is hitting on them, no British accent spotted yet, so who is Tatiana?

The Telegraph has an interview with Countess Mountbatten of Burma:

Quote:
Countess Mountbatten: 'I cried every morning for six months'

Last Updated: 12:02am GMT 20/02/2008

Few people have known such appalling family tragedy as Countess Mountbatten. She tells Elizabeth Grice how she used the experience to help others
On the calm, fine Bank Holiday Monday morning of August 27, 1979, the Mountbattens' old green fishing boat, Shadow V, was making its last lobster-pot excursion of the summer holidays.

As it puttered into Donegal Bay with three generations of the family and a local boy on board, 50lb of gelignite concealed under its floorboards was detonated from the shore by the IRA.
The wooden boat was blown into the air and came down as splinters. Two adults died, two young boys were killed and three other people were left fighting for their lives.
"My own memory," says Patricia, Countess Mountbatten of Burma, "is of a vision of a ball exploding upwards and then of 'coming to' in the sea and wondering if I would be able to reach the surface before I passed out.
I have very vague memories, now and again, of floating among the wood and debris, being pulled into a small rubber dinghy before totally losing consciousness for days." In her lucid intervals, unable to open her eyes, or speak, or even weep, she began to realise that a monstrous swathe had been cut through her family.
Read the entire article here.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Tatiana Mountbatten will be on The Hills (MTV)...you can see a bit of her in the preview...

The Hills (Season 3): Preview | Video | The Hills (Season 3) | Preview | MTV
Wow.. I find it said that an aristocrat would lower herself to be on such trashy tv show filled with little whores and little druggies, who think they are so high society. Maybe she can show them who the REAL DEAL is. If she were my daughter, I would not let her be present in the company of such trash.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Tatiana has been out there a lot more lately...I didn't even recognize her until I saw her last name Mountbatten in a recent editorial she did for Tatler. This Crillon Ball put her on the map and obviously scored her a spot on The Hills since they have 2 shows focusing on the Ball...

That show is really big with girls in her age group.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:20 PM

I like the idea of Tatiana being open to something rather than looking down on it. It's a mark of good character when you refrain from categorizing anyone as trash, even if you believe it to be true. Talking trash about anyone, no matter if that are commonly so categorized, is simply not classy.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Tatiana was featured a little last night...they showed her photoshoot with LC helping out and stuff like that.

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten