The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Serene Highness

That's rather cool actually!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Majesty

Today’s the 90th birthday of Countess Mountbatten of Burma - a cousin of Prince Philip & daughter of Lord Mountbatten pic.twitter.com/9uaSKJGmbt

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 AM

5DN Art..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita laguna View Post
ola, i dont know if im suppose to post it here, so if its not, im sorry,....im new with these forum things hahaha and i dont know.... anyway...does anyone knows anything about the mountbatens???
lady penny mountbatten and lord montbatten???
Alexandra and Nicholas knatchbull???
Im in love with Nicholas Knatchbull, hahahaha, but we dont get to know much about them...:( thats sad, coz hes so gorgeusand alex too...
Anyway if somebody knows anything about the familly especially about Nick, that would be great, wher can i get news from them , or pics...
coz its so hard to find anything about them, so i´d be very happy :)
Anyway, see ya guys, sorry bout the long posting, and sorry about the bad english, see ya!!!
I came across this on ebay..might be of interest? now Nick Knatchbull goes by the artist name of 5DN..could be a collectable piece of art sometime soon and well worth investing in..I believe he's selling it personally...Abstract colourful original 80cm x 80cm digital art print in beautiful frame 5DN | eBay
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Royal Highness

By the age of fifteen, George Mountbatten (future Marquess of Milford Haven) was designing and constructing his own working models of steam engines.
In The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

Lord Mountbatten invited all the crowned heads of Europe to make sure his daughter, Lady Pamela's wedding was as colorful and splendid as a royal wedding, prompting the press to describe him as "almost royal."

The choice of sending a young Prince Philip to attend Cheam School was made by his guardian George Milford Haven.
On March 18, 1947, two days before they left for India, Louis and Edwina Mountbatten hosted a farewell reception for seven hundred guests at the Royal Automobile Club on Pall Mall.
In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote:

Norton and Penny Romsey, Mountbatten's grandson and his wife, were against Diana from the beginning. They thought that she was in love with the idea of being Princess of Wales, rather than with the Prince himself.
In Prince Philip, Philip Eade wrote:

The queen and Princess Elizabeth also viewed (Lord Louis) Mountbatten with suspicion, thinking him a little too inclined to take advantage of the fact that he was a cousin of the king. The king also, while ostensibly fond of Mountbatten, was said by (Sir Alan) Lascelles to be 'under no illusions whatever about dear cousin Dickie!'
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

May I be honest with all of you? I am going to catch grief..lol....but what else is new?

I have always found them to be a bit..arrogant. NOT this generation, but Dickie and his two daughters and Louise his sister.. Just reading about them, their interviews, and some snarky comments made by them over the years. Like this desperate need to prove royal status.

And let's be honest, poor Edwina had to use her fortune VERY generously to support almost every Battenberg..including Princess Anna. I sometimes wonder what they all would have done if not for Edwina's fortune.

NOW, I know Both Dickie and Louise were good people, kind, supportive, etc..but his two daughters recently with their books shocked me by their comments regarding members of the royal family..
Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

When Prince Charles met his mother and his father for lunch at Broadlands to discuss Lord Louis Mountbatten's funeral arrangements, Charles said he did not think he could get through the service without breaking down.
It was sad for Prince Louis of Battenberg to relinquish his princely title.
His Battenberg name was German.
He was born in Germany.
Prince Louis was loyal to the British Crown.
He did Anglicize Battenberg to Mountbatten.
Lord Mountbatten's daughter Pamela married on January 13, 1960.
The bride's entrance into Romsey Abbey was heralded by trumpets playing "O Perfect Love".
The bridesmaids' coronets were of hyacinth petals.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Commoner

Lord Ivar Mountbatten (son of the 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven) and Maddison Brudenell (great-granddaughter of Earl Mountbatten) attended the Dockers Flannels for Heroes event.

Dockers Flannels for Heroes drinks reception - Tatler
Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

Interestingly enough, Battenberg was a really minor German principality, so becoming a British lord was a good deal for him. It was funny though that his daughter Louise almost wasn't allowed to marry a Swedish prince, until it was agreed that she was a princess after all.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Interestingly enough, Battenberg was a really minor German principality, so becoming a British lord was a good deal for him. It was funny though that his daughter Louise almost wasn't allowed to marry a Swedish prince, until it was agreed that she was a princess after all.

Both Prince Louis and his wife Princess Viktoria had a very down to earth outlook on the whole name and title changing business.
Prince Louis wrote in his son George's (whom he stayed with in the period around the transition of names and titles) guest book that he "Arrived Prince Jekyll, Departed Lord Hyde" and Princess Viktoria found her new title of Marchioness so common sounding that she said she'd rather have stayed Mrs Mountbatten.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Did Victoria keep in touch with her sister Princess Irene of Prussia?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Courtier

History Rewind: Lord Mountbatten killed by IRA bomb
Quote:
On 27th August 1979 Her Majesty The Queen’s cousin, Lord Mountbatten, was tragically killed by an IRA bomb blast whilst on his boat in Ireland.
It wasn’t just Mountbatten who perished on the boat; one of his twin grandson’s, Nicholas, and a local boat boy, Paul Maxwell, also died as a result of the bomb explosion.

Lord Mountbatten and his family were on their traditional summer holiday at their castle in County Sligo, north-west Ireland. On this particular day they were on board Mountbatten’s boat, Shadow V, which had set off from fishing village Mullaghmore. The bomb was detonated at around 11:30am and, according to witnesses, the boat was ‘blown to smithereens’ and all seven occupants were hurled in to the water.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
It was sad for Prince Louis of Battenberg to relinquish his princely title.
His Battenberg name was German.
He was born in Germany.
Prince Louis was loyal to the British Crown.
He did Anglicize Battenberg to Mountbatten.
I read somewhere,I think it's on Alexander Palace Board,that Louis and his daughters Patricia and Pamella once traveled to Germany and during one of the visits,they signed the guest book as Prinz/Prinzessin von Battenberg...

Of course they were loyal to the British Crown,but I think this shows how they felt inside about the whole thing...
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 AM
Nobility

Here are a few photos I took of Lord Mountbatten's home on Ireland's "Wild Atlantic Way".

They're right with that name as the wind coming up from the sea was a battle to stand up in, so if the house looks like it is leaning in my photos, it isn't.

I just couldn't hold the camera still in the, shall we say, "bracing" conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9608.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	292693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9621.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	292694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9632.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	292695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9634.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	292696  

Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a little more information on Classiebawn Castle at Mullaghmore in County Sligo.

Classiebawn Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Administrator

what beautiful pictures Sun Lion. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the info An Ard Ri.....i didn't realize the property was no longer in the family.

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten