The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a few photos I took of Lord Mountbatten's home on Ireland's "Wild Atlantic Way".

They're right with that name as the wind coming up from the sea was a battle to stand up in, so if the house looks like it is leaning in my photos, it isn't.

I just couldn't hold the camera still in the, shall we say, "bracing" conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_9608.jpg
    IMG_9608.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_9621.jpg
    IMG_9621.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_9632.jpg
    IMG_9632.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_9634.jpg
    IMG_9634.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 285
what beautiful pictures Sun Lion. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the info An Ard Ri.....i didn't realize the property was no longer in the family.

What a fascinating story! I'm afraid I knew next to nothing about Philip's family, but it was really interesting to read this article about his mother.

I stumbled across an excellent documentary about Lord Mountbatten's death and it's aftermath over at YouTube the other day. On the iPad, so unable to link, but it's called Mountbatten : Death of a Royal for those interested.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

From Warren's Collection...

"The man in command"
Author: Margot Pitkin
Source: The Daily Telegraph
Published: June 23, 2000

"Lord Louis gonged out in poor taste"
Author: Francis James
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Published: January 13, 1990

Last edited:
In Israel Princess Alice is recognised at the official Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem as one of the “Righteous Among The Nations”.
Quite the honour

Princess Alice was a very interesting person, very brave. She remained in occupied Athens during the whole war, although the rest of the Greek royal family flew to Egypt. She helped a lot of people. I'm glad she received this honour.

Princess Alice was a very interesting person, very brave. She remained in occupied Athens during the whole war, although the rest of the Greek royal family flew to Egypt. She helped a lot of people. I'm glad she received this honour.

Princess Nicholas of Greece also remained in Athens during the war. :flowers:

She was an amazing woman. Among four royals (Helen of Romania, Elizabeth of Belgium and a Romanian ambassador Prince Constantine) to be granted such an honor to be recognized as a righteous among nations. As well as a hero of the holocaust by the British government.

I remember this quote by her son which sums her up so well

I suspect that it never occurred to her that her action was in any way special. She was a person with a deep religious faith, and she would have considered it to be a perfectly natural human reaction to fellow beings in distress

The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Camilla attend the wedding.

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are there as well.

Charles gives Lady Alexandra away due to ill health on the part of Lord Brabourne.

https://twitter.com/majestymagazine/status/746674487022747648

https://twitter.com/regaleyes/status/746687317960695808
"Many memories no doubt today for HM & the DofE- it's 70 yrs ago at Romsey Abbey that the Press 1st became aware of the Royal romance."

A real royal wedding;
Queen arrives at 'society wedding of the year' between Mountbatten heiress Alexandra Knatchbull and her entrepreneur fiancé as the Prince of Wales prepares to give the bride away | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Queen Sofia, princess Anne, princess Alexandra, Prince Hassan bin Talal of Jordan and his wife Princess Sarvath al-Hassan of Jordan attend the wedding also.
Can't find Camilla's photos.

Last edited:
Lord Louis Mountbatten, was born on this day in 1900.

Last edited:
Can't find Camilla's photos.

She didn't attend.

Alexandra has one brother Nicholas so DM have just chosen to make up things now.

Among the family members enjoying the big day were Alexandra's brother Nicholas, who has previously battled heroin and crack addiction, her two sisters and her wheelchair-bound grandmother Countess Mountbatten.

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Why the Prince of Wales to walk her down the aisle and not her father? [/FONT][/FONT]

Officially down to ill health, but it probably has something to do with her fathers years long affair.

Last edited:
Thanks Lumutqueen!!! I did know that!!

She didn't attend.

Alexandra has one brother Nicholas so DM have just chosen to make up things now.

Officially down to ill health, but it probably has something to do with her fathers years long affair.

Yeah, likely due to not wanting him walking his daughter to the alter to make a sacred vow having broke his. I mean he's there at the wedding for crying out loud, lol.

Then again, Charles also broke his vow. So it really didn't make that much sense.

Last edited:
I was surprise for the greek presence!! I did know that they have so good relationship!!

Back
Top Bottom