The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Wealthy peer, who grew up jealous of Prince Charles and wary of the Duke of Edinburgh, starts new life with Caribbean beauty
Read more: Wealthy peer, who grew up jealous of Prince Charles and wary of the Duke of Edinburgh, starts new life with Caribbean beauty | Mail Online

Quote:
Loved-up in the Bahamas: First pictures of Lord Brabourne and designer friend comforting him after split
Read more: Loved-up in the Bahamas: First pictures of Lord Brabourne and designer friend comforting him after split | Mail Online

Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I must say that overall I am a bit disappointed in Lord Brabourne.

Now I know I don't know all of the facts, he and his wife could have just drifted apart through years, they have certainly had a lot of tragedy to deal with the loss of their daughters and their son's addiction as well as the aftermath of his grandfather and brother's death....but to leave your wife to maintain YOUR ancestral home and deal with your sons addiction (cause let's face it he can't do much in the Bahamas) while you are living your life on a sunny island without any responsiblities is pretty selfish IMO.

And I again I don't know all the facts, but generally it just doesn't look good.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, I think it's a sad story. I just don't know if I'm disappointed in Lord Brabourne. To me it seems as if he wasn't selfish enough for years. I know some facts (which we wouldn't be allowed to discuss here) and if they're true, then I think he had to go. If he hadn't sense of responsibility he would have gone earlier, IMO. It can't be an easy decision to leave everything behind. The pressure of expectations might also have been too hard for him all his life, who knows... Good luck to him.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Well as I said, I am not familiar with all the facts but from the outside looking in (again not knowing said facts) it looks like the marriage broke down and he is not in England. He is walking the beaches of the Bahamas She is dealing with the homes and the kids in England.

In this electronic day in age he can surely stay in touch with both but it isn't the same IMO. And yes, he has a lot to live up to, many do and some don't do it well. But I would feel the same if this was an average joe who left the country and left his wife to deal with the house and kids while he was walking the beach.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Courtier

The kids are not an issue: they are both almost 30 and until now Lord Brabourne couldn't improve in any way his son condition.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Studies have shown that adult children have a problems adjusting to their parent's divorce. But I don't think they should stay together for the children's sake.

And who is to say he can't do anything to help his son's condition. Don't get me wrong, only can Nicholas reach rock bottom before he decides to get better. But that doesn't mean he can't assist his son in any way. And he can do that a lot better in England than the Bahamas.

I would imagine that his decision to leave England might place a higher burden on his daughters. As the eldest of four, I can tell you that while I don't meddle in my sister's lives...I definitely like to feel that I need to watch over them. And I feel bad when I can't make their lives better or assist them in solving a problem. Or just being there for emotional support. Trying to live your life, being there for your mother and brother..........thats a lot.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lord Brabourne may enjoy himself forever in the Bahamas or he may find that the old adage "the grass is always greener on the other side" is solid truth. He's young enough to come around, make up with his wife, etc. I know he'll have a good time, at least for a while. As for Lady Brabourne, she'll do alright (maybe even better.)
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mountbatten marriage curse strikes again: Lord Ivar and Lady Penelope split after 16 years | Mail Online

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, the great-nephew of Earl Mountbatten of Burma – Prince Charles’s favourite uncle, who was murdered by the IRA – is separating from Lady Penelope, his wife of 16 years.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

So Lord Brabourne packs up and moves to the Bahamas to be with the woman he loves. Ok, that's fine, but get a divorce. I'm not prim and proper by all means, but but moving away and setting up house with another woman while married, but "living separate lives" is rot. Obviously, their marriage has not been good for quite a while, so end the marriage. A divorce can't be any harder on adult children than playing house with another partner while still married to your children's mother.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Gentry

Norton's seperation

I'm guessing the financial details and the skeleton's in both closets will keep them married. Personally, I laughed when they said he was jealous of Prince Charles! Somehow, I think that's just made up. For all we know he could just be on the island doing his own thing because he no longer wants the stress of being a "Mountbatten"......as for Lord Ivar--I think that divorce is a big "who cares". He's a friend of Prince Edward. No one ever seems terribly interested in Edward--only his wife! Maybe it's the same with Ivar!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Intrigue as Lord Brabourne returns to Britain from the Bahamas

Quote:
Lord Brabourne, the grandson of Earl Mountbatten, has provoked intrigue by returning to Britain two months after he reportedly embarked on a new life in the Caribbean.
Read more: Intrigue as Lord Brabourne returns to Britain from the Bahamas - Telegraph
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Wow...I wonder if he is just back to handle some business or back for good.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Lord Nicholas Knatchbull

And so,that's interesting to me,has the Honorable Nicholas Knatchbull recovered from drug addiction?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I 've always thought he was deeply in love with his wife Penelope,but the things change.I think if their son overcomes drug problems it could change their lives.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Lady Brabourne to be High Steward of Romsey

Quote:
LADY Brabourne has taken up the ceremonial role of Romsey’s High Steward after her husband, who now spends most of his time in the Caribbean, retired from the position.
Lady Brabourne to be High Steward of Romsey (From This is Hampshire)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update.

So he is retiring and she has taken on the responsiblilty of his old position and running the family enterprise. Interesting. I am sure there is more to the story...but he isn't coming out too well with what I have read. And it is the British tabloids so I will take the info with a grain of salt but still.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Charles's 100m godson and the dreadlocked girl who'll marry him... and be the next Lady Brabourne | Mail Online
Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think they should desinherit him,it would be better that the title will pass to his sister and her descendants,as he may fall down again and this girl seems dubious.Of course(it's my opinion) she doesn't love at all him,she just likes the idea of becoming a lady and take some precious things.It wasn't the first case,I do think he should try to be himself and change his life ,then choose the future wife,even though I am glad to see him healthier(I think it's temporary).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I think they should desinherit him,it would be better that the title will pass to his sister and her descendants,as he may fall down again and this girl seems dubious.Of course(it's my opinion) she doesn't love at all him,she just likes the idea of becoming a lady and take some precious things.It wasn't the first case,I do think he should try to be himself and change his life ,then choose the future wife,even though I am glad to see him healthier(I think it's temporary).

They can't disinherit him from the title as that is not possible.

The LPs don't allow for his sisters to inherit but it would pass to the sons of younger daughter of Lord Mountbatten and if no sons from sons then it becomes extinct.

The title could only pass to the daughters of Lord Mountbatten but after that they follow the usual male inheritance laws.

They can put everything into a trust so that he can only access the interest on the trust and can't actually touch the estate or anything belonging to the estate.

Why do you think it is temporary?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Surprising news to me. I'm a bit shocked about the picture, Nicky doesn't look healthy or that happy to me. And they know each other only for 6 months? I seriously wish them both all the best (and especially that Nick overcomes his drug addiction), but I have an odd feeling...

Tags
battenberg, lord brabourne, mountbatten, patricia mountbatten