The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a list that would meet this on my computer at home. I can share it later if you like.

Yes, please do share. Either post on here or send it privately to me. The list that has already previously been posted in this thread a while ago only shows what the list of the order of succession would have been in 1714 had the Act of Settlement actually not passed but i really would like to know what the list of the order of succession would have been in 1701 the day before The Act of Settlement passed as though there was never an Act of Settlement.

The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession

Yes, please do share. Either post on here or send it privately to me. The list that has already previously been posted in this thread a while ago only shows what the list of the order of succession would have been in 1714 had the Act of Settlement actually not passed but i really would like to know what the list of the order of succession would have been in 1701 the day before The Act of Settlement passed as though there was never an Act of Settlement.

I posted it above. It the same. As I said it would have been the Line of Succession had The Acts of Settlement not taken place.

Last edited:
The 1714 Line of Succession to the British Throne if the Acts of Settlement had not taken place Including Catholics and Jacobite:

James I and VI, King of England and scotland (d. 1625)
Charles I, King of England and Scotland (d. 1649)
James II and VII, King of England & Scotland (d. 1701)

Anne's half-brother and first in line to the throne, James Francis Edward Stuart
1: James Francis Edward Stuart (1688–1766): Claimant from 1701 in opposition to heir designate George I Louis, Elector of Hanover.
Henrietta of England (d. 1670)

Very interesting. Thanks for posting

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted it above. It the same. As I said it would have been the Line of Succession had The Acts of Settlement not taken place.

The list you posted includes those people born after The Act of Settlement had taken place in 1701. What i really require is a list of the people in the line of succession that were alive in 1701 on the day before The Act of Settlement had taken place. I do not require the details of anyone who was born between 1701 and 1714 as they were not born prior to The Act of Settlement.

Thanks anyway.

The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession

The list you posted includes those people born after The Act of Settlement had taken place in 1701. What i really require is a list of the people in the line of succession that were alive in 1701 on the day before The Act of Settlement had taken place. I do not require the details of anyone who was born between 1701 and 1714 as they were not born prior to The Act of Settlement.

Thanks anyway.

Again I just posted it above. This is the 1701 line of Succession. This list does not include anyone born after 1701

Last edited:
Again I just posted it above. This is the 1701 line of Succession. This list does not include anyone born after 1701

The list you posted in comment *930 in response to my comment #928 does indeed include people born after 1701 which the following are from the list you give in comment #930 which i show below:

5: Louis, Duke of Anjou, future King Louis XV of France (1710–1774)
6: Louis, Prince of Asturias, future King Louis of Spain (1707–1724)
7: Infante Philip of Spain (1712–1719)
8: Infante Ferdinand of Spain, future King Ferdinand VI of Spain (1713–1759)
15: Louise Élisabeth d'Orléans (1709–1742)
17: Prince Leopold Clement of Lorraine (1707–1723)
18: Prince Francis Stephen of Lorraine, future Holy Roman Emperor (1708–1765)
19: Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine (1712–1780)
20: Princess Elisabeth Therese of Lorraine (1711–1741)
21: Princess Anne Charlotte of Lorraine (1714–1773)
23: Princess Dorothea of Salm (1702–1751)
24: Princess Elisabeth of Salm (1704–1739)
25: Princess Christine of Salm (1707–1775)
30: Louis, Count of Clermont (1709–1771)
35: Henriette Louise de Bourbon, mlle de Vermandois (1703–1772)
36: Élisabeth Alexandrine de Bourbon, mlle de Gex (1705–1765)
44: Louise Françoise de Bourbon, mlle du Maine (1707–1743)
51: Enrichetta d'Este (1702–1777)
58: Frederick Louis of Hanover, future prince of Wales (1707–1751)
59: Anne of Hanover (1709–1759)
60: Amelia of Hanover (1711–1786)
61: Caroline of Hanover (1713–1757)
63: Frederick of Prussia, future king of Prussia (1712–1786)
64: Wilhelmine of Prussia (1709–1758)

Perhaps you forget to check the list to see who was only alive in 1701 before you posted the list in response to me, an oversight which can happen so not a problem. I am only interested in knowing who was alive before 12th June 1701 (the day that The Act of Settlement passed).

I think George, Prince of Hanover the future King George was about 42nd in line the actual moment before The Act of Settlement passed on 12th June 1701 and i would like a list of those 42 or so people if possible.

Many thanks.

You obviously not listening or reading so it not wort it.

I am sorry that you feel that I am not listening or reading. I asked quite clearly who was in the line of succession in the year of 1701 before The Act of Settlement passed in 1701 and you responded by posting "The 1714 Line of Succession to the British Throne if the Acts of Settlement had not taken place Including Catholics and Jacobite:". I am only interested in knowing who was both alive and in line in the actual year of 1701 and not the year of 1714.

Princess Louisa Maria sister of James, the Old Pretender was born in 1692 and she was alive in 1701 so would i be correct to say that she would have been 2nd in line in 1701 before The Act of Settlement passed on 12th June 1701? You are not showing her on your list because your list is for the year 1714 and she would not be included in your list as she died in 1712. I am trying to compile a list of those people in line who was living in the actual year of 1701. Anyone who died after 1701 or was born after 1701 would not appear on the list that i am compiling as i want to show who was actually standing in line on the 12th June 1701.

If you can provide a list of people who were both alive and in line in the actual year of 1701 and not 1714 then i would be most grateful for a list of those in line in the actual year of 1701 and not after this year but if not then i thank you for your interest that you have shown and i will look elsewhere to help compile my list.

Many thanks.

A list of the legitimate-line descendants of James I who where alive at some point in 1701:

1. Anne of Great Britain
2. James II
3. James Francis Edward Stuart
4. Louisa Maria Theresa Stuart
5. Anne Marie d’Orleans
6. Victor Amadeus, Prince of Piedmont
7. Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia
8. Marie Adelaide of Savoy
9. Marie Luisa of Savoy
10. Karl Moritz, Prince of the Palatinate
11. Elizabeth Charlotte, Princess of the Palatinate
12. Philippe II, Duke of Orleans
13. Marie Louise Elisabeth of Orleans
14. Louise Adelaide of Orleans
15. Charlotte Aglae of Orleans
16. Elizabeth Charlotte of Orleans
17. Elisabeth Charlotte of Lorraine
18. Louise Christine of Lorraine
19. Charles Louis Schomberg, Marquess of Harwich
20. Lady Frederica Susanna Schomberg
21. Lady Maria Schomberg
22. Louise of the Palatinate
23. Amalie Elisabeth of the Palatinate
24. Anne Henriette of Bavaria
25. Louis, Prince of Conde
26. Louis Henri, Duke of Bourbon
27. Charles, Count of Charolais
28. Marie Anne Eleanore of Bourbon
29. Louise Elisabeth of Bourbon
30. Louise Anne of Bourbon
31. Marie Anne of Bourbon
32. Marie Therese of Bourbon
33. Louis Armand II, Prince of Conti
34. Marie Anne of Bourbon
35. Louise Adelaide of Bourbon
36. Louise Benedicte of Bourbon
37. Louis Auguste, Prince of Dombes
38. Louis Charles, Count of Eu
39. Marie Anne of Bourbon
40. Benedicta Henrietta of the Palatinate
41. Duchess Charlotte of Brunswick-Luneburg
42. Francesco III d’Este, Duke of Modena
43. Gian Frederico d’Este
44. Benedetta Maria Ernesta d’Este
45. Amalia Giuseppina d’Este
46. Henrietta Maria of Brunswick-Luneburg
47. Wilhelmine Amalia of Brunswick-Luneburg
48. Archduke Leopold Joseph of Austria
49. Archduchess Maria Josepha of Austria
50. Archduchess Maria Amalia of Austria
51. Louise Hollandine, Princess of the Palatinate
52. Sophia of the Palatinate
53. George Louis, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg
54. George Augustus of Brunswick-Luneburg
55. Sophia Dorothea of Hanover
56. Maximilian William of Brunswick-Luneburg
57. Ernest Augustus of Brunswick-Luneburg
58. Sophia Charlotte of Hanover
59. Frederick William I of Prussia

Now, I did include several people who died in 1701 (such as James II himself, who died in September of 1701), as well as some who were born in 1701, so the list isn't going to be a perfect "these are the 59 descendants of James I who were alive on 12 June 1701 when the Act of Succession came into effect".

A list of the legitimate-line descendants of James I who where alive at some point in 1701:

1. Anne of Great Britain
2. James II
3. James Francis Edward Stuart....

This is very similar to the one provided. Thank for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very similar to the one provided. Thank for sharing.

I didn't go through your list too much (I wasn't going to provide one at all after I saw you'd done so as I figured it was accurate, and only did so because there seemed to be some issue of whether it was a 1701 or a 1714 list and just figured it wouldn't hurt to go "this is the 1701 list).

There isn't a huge difference between 1701 and 1714. A few people died, a few people were born. In both, George I is roughly the 60th person in a succession without barring Catholics (and considerably further down if we don't bar all those illegitimate lines). The only really big differences between 1701 and 1714 were that Anne, James, and Sophie all died in between the passing of the act and the ascension of George I.

1. Anne of Great Britain
2. James II
3. James Francis Edward Stuart
4. Louisa Maria Theresa Stuart
5. Anne Marie d’Orleans

Thank you so much for posting your list. It is very much appreciated however I do feel that I may have jumped ahead of myself.

I have been reading the Bill of Rights of 1689 and according to this it vested the crown onto Mary and William jointly and then after their decease to the heirs of the body of her Majesty i.e. Mary and for default of such issue to her Royal Highness the Princess Anne of Denmark and the heirs of the body of his said Majesty i.e. William. There is no mention (to what I can see) of what happens to the crown should it happen when the heirs of the body of William should become extinct.

Does heirs of the body in this instance only mean that it can only be passed onto to a descendant and only the descendants of those 3 people named in the Bill of Rights or does it also mean that it can also be passed onto in addition to a cousin etc. of those 3 named?

If the heirs of the body in this instance means it can only be passed onto a descendant and only the descendants of those 3 named and not onto anyone else i.e. cousin etc. of the 3 named then all those people listed as being alive in 1701 with the exception of Anne were already excluded from being in line in 1701 even if The Act of Settlement had never passed being as they were already excluded since the Bill of Rights passed in 1689 should it be that heirs of the body in this instance means that it can only be passed onto a descendant and only the descendants of those named in the Bill of Rights and not passed onto anyone else i.e. cousin etc.

The Bill of Rights in 1689 and The Act of Settlement in 1701 must have been a headache for those in establishing them and I sure am glad that I was not one of those people dealing with organising them.

Many thanks for the help.

The intention when passing the Bill of Rights was that one of Mary, Anne and William would have a legitimate descendant to inherit the throne.

By 1701 it was clear that that wasn't going to happen and so they had to create Plan B - taking the line of succession back to another protestant claimant - Sophia of Hanover.

It wasn't so much a headache as a two stage process. Had Mary, Anne or William had a legitimate descendant than the other descendants of the early Stuarts would have been barred by legislation.

All that happened in 1701 was readdressing that issue and again barring anyone who isn't now a descendant of Sophia of Hannover - regardless of any claim going further back in time.

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom