The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Ahh, so it may arise again when William marries and his wife is expecting.

If it hasn't already been changed by then it most certainly will be looked at at that time - whether they change it may very well await the outcome of the first pregnancy - if a son then leave it another generation.

The government do seem to try to avoid passing legislation about the royals and I think the royals like it like that as any legislation could lead to debates about the royal family in general rather than the specific issue at hand.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Why did the British royal houses favor the Lutheran royal houses so much?

I've been wondering about something. I know that you (to this day!) can't inherit the British crown, if you're a Roman-Catholic, or even if you're married to a Roman-Catholic. So far so good, even though I don't understand why those laws haven't been changed by now. But isn't the Church of England "a bridge church" between the Roman-Catholic church and the Protestant churches? So why did the the British royal house only make marriage alliances with the Lutheran royal houses in northern Germany, Denmark and Sweden, if the Church of England is just as close to the Catholic church as to the Lutheran churches? Why did they never think of the many Catholic royal houses all over Europe? All of these Lutheran future queens of England had to join the Church of England, so couldn't a Catholic princess had done the same thing? Or is the Church of England really that much closer to the Lutherdom than to Roman-Catholicism? (I know it's considered as one of the Protestant churches, but like I said earlier, it's also called "a bridge church".) Do you have any thoughts about this?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My first reaction to this question and I think probably the biggest reason of all to exclude the Roman Catholics is the Pope. Back then the Pope along with bishops and such carried a lot of political clout.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
why did the the British royal house only make marriage alliances with the Lutheran royal houses in northern Germany, Denmark and Sweden?
Under the Act of Settlement any person who marries a Roman Catholic automatically loses their place in the Line of Succession. Thus royal brides were sought from the Protestant Houses of Germany and Scandinavia who happened to be/are largely Lutheran or Evangelical. Other brides came from Russia and Greece (Orthodox).

A prospective bride who was Roman Catholic could convert to C of E prior to the wedding (as Autumn Phillips did) but such examples are very rare.
It is claimed the Duke of Clarence was engaged to Princess Hélčne d'Orléans who was said to have offered to defy her father (the French Pretender) and the Pope by renouncing Roman Catholicism and by joining the Church of England. However, it came to nothing.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

So I assume the answer to my question is, that the C of E still is closer to the Lutheran churches than to the Roman-Catholic church, even though it's been called "a bridge church". It was interesting to hear about Autumn Philips and Hélčne d'Orléans though.

But it's also interesting, that the Russian tsar family, which was Orthodox, also favored the Lutheran royal houses, when it came to marriage alliances.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is and was simple that catholic most of the time would not change their religion for a marriage but protestants di so it was easier for the Romaniovs to look for birdes in the porotestant houses. Although there was on marriager when Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna married Archduke Joseph.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Most of times Catholic Church didn't allow Catholic to marry Protestants or Orthodoxes or Anglicans unless they converted to the Catholic Church, or unless they raised the children as Catholic.
The last example coming to my mind is the marriage in 1948 of King Michael of Romania, Orthodox, to the Catholic Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parma; the Pope forbade her to marry him, because he stated that he would remain Orthodox and their children would raise as Orthodox (Romania's most followed religion). They could marry in a Catholic ceremony only in 1966.

The problem about the marriage of the Duke of Clarence and Princess Helene of Orleans was this one, they wanted to marry but the Pope (and the Count of Paris) forbade Helene to convert; and if I remember correctly, she was also considered as a possible bride for Tsarevic Nicholas of Russia, but this idea was soon left because of the religion problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Serene Highness

Okay. Thank you for the information. That was really interesting.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Roman Catholic will not become king after monarchy reforms are abandoned | Mail Online

I didn't know where to put this, but it does have something to do with the church.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM

What is the heir to the throne became a Muslim?

The 1701 Act of Settlement bars Catholics, or anyone married to one, from becoming King or Queen. But what if the heir was Muslim or the heir married a muslim and raised a Muslim child? Does the act make mention of other faiths the future head of the Church of England is forbidden to marry? If not and a Muslim became monarch, what would happen to their role as Head of the Church of England?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Majesty

The monarch must be a protestant who is in communion with the Anglican Communion according to the Act of Settlement. That is actually specified along with the ban on being married to a Roman Catholic or being a Roman Catholic. Thus the monarch can't be any religion except Christian but also they can't profess the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity. Their spouse can be a Muslim however.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Royal Highness

The English/British monarch as Head of the Church of England and defender of that particular faith cannot be a Catholic. This is the law and is reasonable, especially when bearing in mind that the Pope, as head of the Catholic faith, cannot be anything other than a Catholic - nor for that matter be a woman! As such, I cannot fathom out why any Catholic should feel it unfair that a Catholic could never become the monarch of Great Britain.

It seems that practically every religion has it's leaders who in my opinion should at least practice the religion they are the leader of!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Hypothetical Succession Question

Hi...been a lurker for about a year and have learned so much from all of you. Thank you!

I have been wondering about a hypothetical question, What if the Queen and Prince Phillip's children had all been female? How would succession be determined?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just like in the case of Her Majesty, The eldest daughter would have ascended the throne.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Would new letters patent need to be issued to grant titles since these children would be descendants from the female line?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe that certain Letters Patent were created for the present Queen's children. I'll have to check.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Probably the oldest daughter. I'm not an expert on succession laws but I would think that this would be the case. If the daughter didn't have any children, then it would go to the second daughter, etc. This would be the case if Queen Elizabeth had all sons.

If the eldest daughter only had female children and the second daughter had two sons, who would they succeed her? It would be interesting to see what the answer to this would be. A legal document would have to be written to address this.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post

If the eldest daughter only had female children and the second daughter had two sons, who would they succeed her? It would be interesting to see what the answer to this would be. A legal document would have to be written to address this.
With Male primogenture, the eldest of the two sons would succed the eldest daughter.
Just like now Anne is elder than both Andrew and Edward yet she is last on the succesion list.

Say if Queen Elizabeth only had 4 girls, the eldest say Anne.
If Anne had 4 girls, the eldest would be her heir, until any son came along. If her younger sister had a son, he would become the heir. If Anne wanted to have her daughter succed her, she have to change it succesion to equal primogenture.
It is not eldest child in the UK, but Eldest Son.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Probably the oldest daughter. I'm not an expert on succession laws but I would think that this would be the case. If the daughter didn't have any children, then it would go to the second daughter, etc. This would be the case if Queen Elizabeth had all sons.

I'm not sure why a legal document would need to be written to address this issue. In this case, the eldest daughter would be the successor (heir presumptive?) and if she only had daughters, the eldest would succeed her. It wouldn't be the second daughter's sons. Like you, I'm not a real authority here, so I'd be interested to hear more, too.

Edit: I'm thinking of a scenario like if QEII had had only daughters but Princess Margaret only sons, the eldest daughter of QEII would be the heir presumptive, not the son of Margaret.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

If the eldest daughter had female children then her children would control the throne.

Elizabeth has Anne (and no Charles, Andrew or Edward or their heirs) and or a Alexandra (or more daughters). Then Anne becomes Queen. Anne has two children (Peter and Zara). Peter becomes King, his heirs, then Zara and her heirs.

If Anne had two daughters (say a Zara and a Phillipa), then eldest daughter Zara only had daughters but they are still ahead of the younger daughter Phillipa and her successors. So if Anne's younger daughter Phillipa had a son, he would be behind his mother the Queen, Aunt Zara, her daughters (and their kids) but he would jump ahead of any of his sisters.

Think of Queen Mary II and Anne. They both died without surviving heirs. The throne went to the heirs of the Electress Sophia, who was the eldest daughter of the eldest daughter of James I of England. So the House of Stuart:

James I > Charles I > Charles II > James II > Mary II > Anne II end of the House of Stuart because Anne has no living heirs

James I was the father of Charles I and Elizabeth who was the mother of Sophia, whose son became George I and so started the House of Hanover

I hope I got the names and placement right but that is the general idea. Its important to note that just because you have sons (you don't jump head of people). Thus the current Edward, Duke of Kent or the late Prince William of Gloucester did not jump ahead of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret when they were born.

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession