The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Master Albert Windsor is a member of the RCC as far as I Know

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

He's too young to be a member of any church. I think you have to be confirmed in the Catholic church before you count as a Catholic, at least for the purposes of the Act of Settlement.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
He's too young to be a member of any church. I think you have to be confirmed in the Catholic church before you count as a Catholic, at least for the purposes of the Act of Settlement.

My understanding is that if baptised as a Roman Catholic then you are barred by the Act of Settlement.

Although the child may later reject Roman Catholicism they are RC from baptism.

This is why many of the Kent decendents have been baptised Anglican and then raised as RC so that they can make up their own minds about their religion and their place in the Order of Succession.

The Act does specify communion not confirmation and many RC take their first communion at about 7 years of age.

The RC church regards baptism as the time when a person enters the church.

Based on those ideas it seems to me that any child baptised a Roman Catholic would be barred from the line of succession.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Considering that both her elder siblings have converted and she's still a pre-teen (if I remember right), I have a feeling her conversion is just a matter of time.
But times are fast changing at the moment for Catholics - due to the current discussion about the Pius-brotherhood and the Holocaust-denial of one of them a lot of Catholics at the moment are leaving the Roman church - so maybe she is not converting. But you're right - we'll see.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is the Ferran Exemption
Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

The Ferran Exemption? I don't understand what you're asking, Royal Fan.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
The Ferran Exemption? I don't understand what you're asking, Royal Fan.

Under the Royal Marriage Act descendents of princesses who marry into foreign royal houses are exempt from the RMA.

As Princess Alexandra of Denmark (Queen Alexandra, wife of Edward VII) was the descendent of such a princess the Farran Exemption argues that the RMA doesn't apply to her descendents and thus many of the people who apply to the Queen for permission don't need to do so. These people would be all those descendents of Edward VII, including the present Queen, her sister's children, and the Gloucesters, Kents and Harewoods (along with the descendents of The Princess Royal, Princess Louise).
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
My understanding is that if baptised as a Roman Catholic then you are barred by the Act of Settlement.

Although the child may later reject Roman Catholicism they are RC from baptism.

This is why many of the Kent decendents have been baptised Anglican and then raised as RC so that they can make up their own minds about their religion and their place in the Order of Succession.

The Act does specify communion not confirmation and many RC take their first communion at about 7 years of age.

The RC church regards baptism as the time when a person enters the church.

Based on those ideas it seems to me that any child baptised a Roman Catholic would be barred from the line of succession.
I wonder if that could be challenged legally. I mean, infant baptism occurs before a person is able to give informed consent, which means that someone else is making the decision on behalf of the child that he/she will be excluded from the line of succession. It just seems strange to me that someone can be regarded as "a Papist" when they're a few weeks old. Mind you, a lot of stuff pertaining to religion seems strange to me, so I don't know why I'm surprised.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Changes to the line of succession

Gordon Brown and Buckingham Palace have discussed plans to change the rules of succession to the throne, including giving royal women equal rights.

BBC NEWS | UK | PM and Palace 'discussed reform'

Revolution at the palace as Brown plans to give female Royals equal succession rights

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-rights.html
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Changes to the line of succession

In line with PM Brown's proposed changes to the Line of Succession, how great would these changes be.
Would they involve female heiresses such as Beatrice inherit their fathers dukedoms, additionally would members excluded by the Catholic ban, such as Prince Michael and Lord St. Andrews be entitled to reclaim their claim on the throne.

It is quite an interesting topic.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Well, I don't know a lot of the details. Just taking a wild stab, I'd think that the changes in the succession part would begin with William and Harry on both counts, not retroactive to put Anne ahead of Andrew or Edward.

With regard to the reinstatment of those excluded by the Catholic ban - anyone's guess.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Revolution at the palace as Brown plans to give female Royals equal succession rights

Revolution at the palace as Brown plans to give female Royals equal succession rights | Mail Online[/quote]
i think its an excellent idea and one that not even the most reactionary of traditionalists could object to. If it helps make the monarchy a more inclusive institution that can only be a good thing.
its wll be great to see 'queen Anne " as the next UK queen
Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is early days. Details of what the legislation may cover or include are not known at this stage, but it wouldbe interesting to see how they deal with the issue of the Established church.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

yes I would imagine the Government would only make provisions as far down as Princess Alexandra or the Earl of Harewood,
in reality it will only affect William and Harry

in fact Alex would overtake would overtake Lord Frederick in line of succession, it seems that Freddie and Ella will suffer the most in partial demotion.

With their promotion would you see Peter and Zara being awarded noble titles if they requested

royal.gov.uk only lists the first 40 anyway
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
Well, I don't know a lot of the details. Just taking a wild stab, I'd think that the changes in the succession part would begin with William and Harry on both counts, not retroactive to put Anne ahead of Andrew or Edward.

With regard to the reinstatment of those excluded by the Catholic ban - anyone's guess.
I tend to agree with you. I do not think that the succession line will undergo drastic changes. It is unlikely for the new law to re-instate Prince Michael and Lord St.Andrews. The new succession line may promote Princess Anne's children. At the same time, chances of them ascending the throne are slight.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHDukeFelician View Post
yes I would imagine the Government would only make provisions as far down as Princess Alexandra or the Earl of Harewood,
in reality it will only affect William and Harry

in fact Alex would overtake would overtake Lord Frederick in line of succession, it seems that Freddie and Ella will suffer the most in partial demotion.
From the interview with a government minister I saw this morning, there would be no alteration to the line of succession at all, it would start with William's children.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Courtier

I think the newspapers are confused then. They all seem to think that the whole line of succession will then be shuffled.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Is that anything new? The Telegraph article has attempted accuracy[quote]If this were changed retrospectively, the Princess Royal would move ahead of her younger brother the Duke of York in the line of succession.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...uccession.html
--------------------------
It's been blocked -

A backbench bid to end the discrimination in succession rules against women and Roman Catholics was blocked today, with Justice Secretary Straw saying a bill, introduced by Liberal Democrat Evan Harris, was not the 'appropriate vehicle' for change of this scale

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-overhaul.html

The reports seem to be getting hysterical or at the very least fanciful.
Quote:
Repeal of the Act might even call into question the right of the Queen to be monarch.

The remnants of the Stuart dynasty now living in southern Germany might feel they had a better claim to the throne
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Nobility

I'd like if the british adopted full line succession law.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with those who say that this change, should it be implemented, will start with William and Harry's kids. I think at this stage of the game, it would be ridiculous to make it retroactive as Elizabeth and Philip's first born wasn't a girl. Had Anne been born before Charles, I could understand some desire to make it start with the Queen's children.

As for barring Catholics from inheriting the throne or marrying into the royal family (and thus keeping their place in the line of succession), it just smacks of bigotry and it's about time it was done away with. Who can truly say whether a Catholic will rule better than an Anglican? Is there some unfounded fear that a Catholic monarch will put England under the heel of Rome, as was thought waaaaaay back in Tudor times?

I applaud them for at least discussing it; I never thought it would get this far.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession