The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
HM Queen Elizabeth II would be in the line of succession if HM is not The Queen and still a princess and if and only if HM is not married to a Roman Catholic as HM is a princess through the male line.If HM marries a Roman Catholic,she as well as any kids that she bear would automatically be struck off the line of succession.
The children aren't barred so long as they are raised Protestant.

E.g. Prince and Princess Micheal of Kent's children are in the line of succession but he lost his place when he married her. The same with Ernst of Hannover - he lost his place but, I believe that his daughter by Caroline is being raised Protestant and as a result she is in the line of succession, as, of course, are his older children.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
The children aren't barred so long as they are raised Protestant.

E.g. Prince and Princess Micheal of Kent's children are in the line of succession but he lost his place when he married her. The same with Ernst of Hannover - he lost his place but, I believe that his daughter by Caroline is being raised Protestant and as a result she is in the line of succession, as, of course, are his older children.
Both your situation involves two royal princes who married a Roman Catholic not royal princesses.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
Both your situation involves two royal princes who married a Roman Catholic not royal princesses.
Yes, Chrissy57's real-life example involved two princes, but it makes no difference whether they are princes or princesses, dukes or duchesses or misters or misses. The Act of Settlement is concerned with maintaining the Protestant succession, not with gender or titles.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Commoner

Catholic/Monarch question? THX in ADVANCE

Noob question here, half embarrased to ask, but what [instrument] keeps a single/unwed king from marrying a catholic? I would think the king can do what he pleases.... not to say that this would not bring up a basket of complications. Was this an option for Edward VIII? See plenty of posts about being removed from the LOS for marrying a catholic, but what if you are already king?

Want the text from the instrument or document, please no personal/private spectulation, I know it is silly for the head of a church to have an interfaith marriage, etc.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Courtier

The law that prevents the King or anyone else in the line of sucession from marrying a catholic is an Act of Parliament. The King can not disobey it.

But this is one of those things were it is a 300(?) year old law. What happens could turn out to be anyone's guess.

Also it depends if the wife is willing to convert before marriage. The wording is a little vague on that one.

Here is the article on the Act of Settlement at the very bottom there is a link to the actually Act (although I included the article because the Act is a little hard to read) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_Settlement_1701

Oh and by the way, since you used the word Noob I think you are totally awesome
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Commoner

Rules of Succession

Other Western European monarchies are either undergoing or have undergone the switch to full-lineal primogenture. I know there have been several female monarchs including the latest one (which is interesting that they have been among the longest ruling in the Great Britian line of rulers). Does anyone know if Great Britian has had any discussion on this at all? While I don't really have any problems with whose in line now, I feel like that GB has this reputation for a being a modern country and should come in line the modern world. Thanks to the Semi-Salic Law, women have been able to rule, but I feel that this is just a lighter form of discrimation. So let's talk about it!
Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Serene Highness

Britain has male primogeniture, meaning males in the same generation and their subsequent lines have preference over females, i.e. Charles, Andrew, Edward and their descendents before Anne's. Semi-salic law is, basically, when females are allowed to inherit only if all male heirs have been wiped out.

I doubt there will be much discussion about changing succession laws in the near future unless Prince William's first child is a girl. For now, both Charles and William are the eldest children, so unless both of them and Harry were to die before QE 2, having absolute vs. male primogeniture would not make a difference. A lot of governments don't try to change successions law until need be because they are part of the constitution, and it takes a lot of time and work to amend. Plus, you have to account for situtations in Norway and Spain where the current heir is male but not the eldest, etc. Denmark was ready to change the law IF Mary and Frederick's first child had been a girl, but he wasn't, they've scrapped plans for now. With Spain, they're trying to decide whether to change the law when Felipe becomes king so he doesn't get booted. Norway had to add an extra clause "For those born before the year 1971, Article 6 of the Constitution as it was passed on 18 November 1905 shall, however, apply. For those born before the year 1990 it shall nevertheless be the case that a male shall take precedence over a female. " So Haakon got to keep his position of heir apparent.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Norway had to add an extra clause "For those born before the year 1971, Article 6 of the Constitution as it was passed on 18 November 1905 shall, however, apply. For those born before the year 1990 it shall nevertheless be the case that a male shall take precedence over a female. " So Haakon got to keep his position of heir apparent.
Good points. I feel like if Norway could specify the rule then the other countries should be able to as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Nobility

What if... an interesting article

This might not be the correct thread, but it was the closest I could find, so I hope it's ok

I've translated this article from www.aftenposten.no And I found it rather interesting, in a what if... sort of way.

Heir to throne wanted

Are you heir to the English throne? If so, you should quickly report it, believes an organisation that is looking for Harold Godwinsons decendants in ads in Norwegian, German, Australian and US press.

External links
Les mer om Harold Godwinson her
(Aftenposten is not responisble for the contenst of external web sites)

Heir to the English throne, that is – and that doesn’t exist any longer, since England has been in a union with Scotland since 1603, and thus is called the British throne. Though, you won’t have any chance of chucking Queen Elizabeth and family out of Buckingham Palace.

“Can you trace your family three back to 1066? Perhaps your ancestors could have a claim in the English throne"; it says in the ads the reknown heritage organisation English Heritage has put in.

1066 was the year the Norman duke Wilhelm the Conqueror invaded England, conquered and killed Harold Godwinson at the battle of Hastings and took the English throne. Harolds son and heir Aetheling later accepted Wilhelm as king.

If Wilhelm had lost at Hastings or later, England could have been a different country than today. The English would probably have seen Danes and Norwegians as their closest friends and allies, believes researcher Nick Barratt at English Heritage.
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1596383.ece

Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

There is currently dispute as to whether ot not the law actually prevents the monarch him or herself from marrying a Roman Catholic. One of the prevailing views is that no person shall accede to the throne who has married or is a Roman Catholic, but the law does not govern post-accession marriages. In something I read about Edward VIII, it said that the Prime Minister tricked him into asking for constitutionally-binding advice that he did not have to seek in order to marry, as it was not technically necessary for the King himself to need permission to marry.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
There is currently dispute as to whether ot not the law actually prevents the monarch him or herself from marrying a Roman Catholic. One of the prevailing views is that no person shall accede to the throne who has married or is a Roman Catholic, but the law does not govern post-accession marriages. In something I read about Edward VIII, it said that the Prime Minister tricked him into asking for constitutionally-binding advice that he did not have to seek in order to marry, as it was not technically necessary for the King himself to need permission to marry.
Very convenient loophole if a monarch so chooses to take it!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Depends on the circumstances by which you envisage her being a princess and not a queen. If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated, she'd be Queen now anyway since Edward was childless. If he'd had children, or if George VI had had sons, her position in the line of succession would depend on how many offspring those hypothetical royals might have had.
I thought about that. After all the acrimony over the Abdication, if it hadn't happened, Elizabeth II still would have ascended the throne. So Edward VIII wouldn't have saved his niece much except she would have ascended the throne when she was in her forties after her eldest children were grown.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
There is currently dispute as to whether ot not the law actually prevents the monarch him or herself from marrying a Roman Catholic. One of the prevailing views is that no person shall accede to the throne who has married or is a Roman Catholic, but the law does not govern post-accession marriages.
Here are the relevant parts of the Act of Settlement:

...that all and every person and persons that then were, or afterwards should be reconciled to, or shall hold communion with the see or Church of Rome, or should profess the popish religion, or marry a papist, should be excluded, and are by that Act made for ever incapable to inherit, possess, or enjoy the Crown and government of this realm, ... or to have, use, or exercise any regal power, authority, or jurisdiction within the same: and in all and every such case and cases the people of these realms shall be and are thereby absolved of their allegiance.

II. Provided always, and be it hereby enacted, that all and every person and persons, who shall or may take or inherit the said Crown, by virtue of the limitation of this present act, and is, are or shall be reconciled to, or shall hold communion with, the See or Church of Rome, or shall profess the popish religion, or shall marry a papist, shall be subject to such incapacities [ie no longer have the right of succession to the Crown.]

No doubt a smart lawyer might try to argue otherwise, but the Act of Settlement seems pretty clear. When it comes to the interpretation of Acts of Parliament, the intent of the original legislators may also be taken into account.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 AM

Popish religion could refer to some branches of Eastern Orthodoxy. It's a good job they got that See or Church of Rome stuff in.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonder if theyll ever allow Roman Catholics on the Throne (and Correct me if i am Mistaken but wasnt Charles the First POW To Marry Legally in a Civil Ceremony)
Old 03-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think it would become allowed fairly quickly if William or his heir would want to marry a Catholic or convert. The popular sentiment just doesn't exist anymore to deny someone the throne. It also doesn't exist to change it unless it becomes necessary.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Archbishop of Canterbury seems to be in discussions these days with the Catholic church on the subject of bringing the Church of England back under the umbrella of the Catholic church. If that ever happens, we'd have to scrap the "no Catholic" provision under the Act of Settlement - we'd probably end up with a "Catholics only" succession.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Courtier

If a Catholic marries someone in the line of succession and later converts to the Church of England (but before any children are born), does the person they marry still lose the succession or is it restored?
Obviously if they convert before children are born (and raised presumably in the COE), the children are still eligible/in line.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
If a Catholic marries someone in the line of succession and later converts to the Church of England (but before any children are born), does the person they marry still lose the succession or is it restored?
Obviously if they convert before children are born (and raised presumably in the COE), the children are still eligible/in line.
It's subject to debate, but the opinion is that once out of the Line of Succession, there can be no restoration.

Any children of such a marriage retain succession rights unless they are raised as Roman Catholics or convert; eg the children of Prince Michael of Kent are in line because they are not Roman Catholic, although their father became ineligible upon marriage.

The question regarding young Roman Catholic children is at what stage are they deemed to "profess the Popish religion", at which time the Act of Settlement comes into play.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Courtier

So for example (famous words around here!)

Say Lord Nicholas Windsor (who was raised Protestant and therefore in the line of succession until his Catholic conversion) decides to revert to Church of England (I know, unlikely given his recent Catholic marriage), he would very much not be "restored" to his place in the succession line.

But as he is "out", if after his theoretical reconversion, he raises his children as Protestants, would they be in the line of succession?

Princess Michael was married as a Catholic but raised her children Protestant (though at least one of her sons and a couple grandchildren have since converted to Catholicism) so they were in line until they were old enough to take themselves out. Lord Nicholas is very likely to raise his children Catholic as he cares little for their "place" but the Kents had a different idea--one I'm trying to determine as more legally sound given the Royal restrictions.

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession