The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Myself and a few others have successfully added all of the skipped people in line for the throne, so I think it's fully up-to-date at this point, unless there are some mistaken omissions somewhere.

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM

hi jux asking wat happen if wiliam become prince of wales but he do not have son only daughter but harry has a son..will william daughter be the future queen or harry son will be the future king?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_oh
hi jux asking wat happen if wiliam become prince of wales but he do not have son only daughter but harry has a son..will william daughter be the future queen or harry son will be the future king?
If William had only girls they would still be ahead of Harry's kids- even if Harry had all boys. Now if William had (lets say) 2 girls & then 10yrs later he had a son. The son would then be ahead of his sisters.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
If the Catholic converts, they keep their place in line. At the time of the wedding, the spouse can't be Catholic. If they were Catholic before the wedding and convert to something else (the arrangement proposed for Marie Christine), or if they convert to Catholic after the wedding (The Duchess of Kent), it has no impact on succession status.
Where's branchg when you need him/her?

I'm pretty sure that a British royal can't marry a Catholic, even one who converts, and remain in the Line of Succession. (This struck me as pretty unfair.) I think the theory is, once a Papist, always a Papist.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Courtier

In the consititution of Britain it does not that a person would lose his or her place upon their spouse becoming catholic but it does state that he or she would lose their place in the line of succession upon marrying a catholic or becoming catholic.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 PM

That's right. The Act of Settlement says that it's actually at the time of the marriage. If their children etc go on to convert, they do lose their places in succession, i.e - Nicholas Windsor.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

The reason I'm stuck on this is that I was playing "What if..." I'm Catholic, and it startled me to see that, even if I "made the sacrifice" and converted, my husband would lose his spot in the Line of Succession. (And it seems pretty unfair that only Catholics are singled out in this way. If Gabriella Windsor marries her BF, is she going to lose her spot in the Line of Succession? -- I'm assuming her BF is not a Christian. -- I don't think so.)

I think the framers of the Act of Succession were concerned that a Catholic might make a subterfuge of a conversion... and then raise the children to be Catholic. I'm not sure that Queen Henrietta Maria was required to convert to the Church of England (my guess is NO, although I don't know for sure), but it is undeniable that her background as a French Catholic princess strongly influenced the later actions of her sons, Charles II and James II... bringing on the Glorious Revolution and the effective end of the House of Stuart in England.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I don't know if this question has been asked as there are 268 other post in this thread but...is Caroline of Monaco Catholic? If so, doesn't Ernst August loose his place in the line of succession? Or am I totally missing something? Somebody, anybody please enlighten me.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
I don't know if this question has been asked as there are 268 other post in this thread but...is Caroline of Monaco Catholic? If so, doesn't Ernst August loose his place in the line of succession? Or am I totally missing something? Somebody, anybody please enlighten me.
Yes, she is Catholic... so I would assume he has already lost his place. His children by his first wife are keeping their spots. (I think that Princess Alexandra is being raised as a Protestant, but I am not 100% sure on that.)
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Yes, she is Catholic... so I would assume he has already lost his place. His children by his first wife are keeping their spots. (I think that Princess Alexandra is being raised as a Protestant, but I am not 100% sure on that.)
He gave up his place the day he married Caroline. I know he had to tell the Queen he was getting married (& even get permission I think).
According to Wikipedia's page on Alexandra of Hanover, she is in line to the British throne (after her brothers- ErnstAugust's sons from his 1st marriag).

Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Iowabelle and Lady Jennifer. I thought I already knew but wanted to know from the experts to be sure.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Iowabelle for the PM on the line of succession. I tried to PM you back but it didn't go through to you.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:47 AM
Courtier

I think it was mentioned on the wikipedia talk page, that as long as you aren't Catholic, you can be in line. So that means any other religious denomination, as far as I know, Muslim, Jewish, Buddist, etc, even atheist, as long as you aren't Catholic.

However, I think to actually be able to assume the throne, you have to in communion with the Church of England. So, for example, let's say that King Bob of the UK has two daughters, Jane and Jill, and a son, John. His elder daughter Jane, married a Jewish man, and converted, and their two sons are raised Jewish. They are still in line for the throne. Prince John decides for whatever reason, to not marry or have children, so upon the death of King Bob, his sister Jane becomes heiress presumptive, and her children become next in line for the throne. After John's death, in order for Jane to become queen, or in the event that she dies before him, her eldest son, would have to convert to the Church of England to actually become the monarch. I hope that made sense!
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange
...to actually be able to assume the throne, you have to in communion with the Church of England.
Here's the relevant part from the Act of Settlement:
That whosoever shall hereafter come to the possession of this Crown, shall join in communion with the Church of England, as by law established;

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that a British royal can't marry a Catholic, even one who converts, and remain in the Line of Succession.
If the spouse has converted prior to the marriage then he/she is not Catholic, and the disqualification provisions of the Act of Settlement don't apply.

Another sidelight is that once disqualified from the Succession there is no going back. So, for example, if Prince Michael of Kent or the Prince of Hanover (as widowers or divorcees) marry a Protestant, they remain ineligible because they had previously married a Roman Catholic.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The reason I'm stuck on this is that I was playing "What if..." I'm Catholic, and it startled me to see that, even if I "made the sacrifice" and converted, my husband would lose his spot in the Line of Succession. (And it seems pretty unfair that only Catholics are singled out in this way. If Gabriella Windsor marries her BF, is she going to lose her spot in the Line of Succession? -- I'm assuming her BF is not a Christian. -- I don't think so.)

I think the framers of the Act of Succession were concerned that a Catholic might make a subterfuge of a conversion... and then raise the children to be Catholic. I'm not sure that Queen Henrietta Maria was required to convert to the Church of England (my guess is NO, although I don't know for sure), but it is undeniable that her background as a French Catholic princess strongly influenced the later actions of her sons, Charles II and James II... bringing on the Glorious Revolution and the effective end of the House of Stuart in England.
Henrietta Maria wasn't required to convert because when she married there was no such law in place.

The Act of Settlement came many years later - after the deposition of her younger son and the succession of her granddaughter.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

Yes, chrissy57, I understand the chronology that resulted in the Act of Succession (I was a grad student in Tudor/Stuart history), but my profs never really clarified the procedure for a Catholic French princess marrying into the Stuarts while they sat on the thrones of Scotland and England. My assumption is that the Stuart heirs would have been expected to be raised as Protestants, and rule as Protestants, no matter what their mother's religion was. (And I guess the French royals would have objected to placing their daughter's soul in peril by requiring her to convert to Protestantism.) And in the normal course of events a queen would have had little day-to-day contact with her children, and her ability to influence their religious leanings would have been limited by the people who actually raised the royal children.

But the turmoil that resulted in the death of Charles I and the exile of the royal family had the unintended result of making the mother's influence over the sons stronger, with Charles II being a Catholic in all but name until his death and James II always professing Catholicism.

And Warren, I disagree with you about the disqualification by marriage with a "former" Catholic. "Once a Catholic..." I think you have to remember the fear of contagion from the Catholics that the English had.

But I don't mind a little debate on the issue -- who else in my life is going to tolerate me talking about this?! (But we really need to come up with a definitive answer -- the Duke of York is still available and in my age range!)
Old 09-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I see - ulterior motives at work.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Courtier

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II were not Queen and if she was still a princess where would she be if she were in the line of Succession?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II were not Queen and if she was still a princess where would she be if she were in the line of Succession?
HM Queen Elizabeth II would be in the line of succession if HM is not The Queen and still a princess and if and only if HM is not married to a Roman Catholic as HM is a princess through the male line.If HM marries a Roman Catholic,she as well as any kids that she bear would automatically be struck off the line of succession.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
Depends on the circumstances by which you envisage her being a princess and not a queen. If Edward VIII hadn't abdicated, she'd be Queen now anyway since Edward was childless. If he'd had children, or if George VI had had sons, her position in the line of succession would depend on how many offspring those hypothetical royals might have had.

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession