The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

It would pass to the next eligible child of the heir who was disqualified for marrying a Catholic, regardless of gender, if they were baptized and raised in union with The Church of England. They do not lose their succession rights unless they were Catholic as well.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

Assuming of course we remember the male heir still has precedence over females.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

What if a monarch marries a catholic? he/she renounces to the throne?

We should try to make a list like that from the Denmark's sucesion line, I know only Margrethe & Family, Benedikte and their cousin have the rights but it would still be fun
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Nobility

But there wouldn't be a problem if the person they married converted would it? What is exactly the law in Holland?I thought it was similar, but Maxima didn't convert.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
What if a monarch marries a catholic? he/she renounces to the throne?
If the British Monarch marries a Roman Catholic the Act of Settlement states he or she forfeits their rights to the Crown. I guess once the clergyman said "I now pronounce you man and wife" the Monarch would have effectively abdicated and the next in line to the throne automatically becomes King or Queen. However, the Monarch requires the consent of the Government/Parliament to marry, so there would be quite a few hurdles before it reached the stage of a wedding.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
But there wouldn't be a problem if the person they married converted would it? What is exactly the law in Holland?I thought it was similar, but Maxima didn't convert.
Correct. There would be no problem if the person converted to the Protestant faith prior to marriage.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

There also wouldn't be a problem, apparently, if a Protestant spouse converted to Catholicism after the marriage. The Act talks about marrying a Catholic, not being married to one.

I have a feeling that if she'd thought it would get Charles kicked out of the line of succession, the Princess of Wales might have converted. It sounds as though she was interested in the Catholic faith, especially with her mother having converted, and she was also interested in Charles not becoming King once they were separated. Of course, the Queen would have immediately demanded a divorce, but still.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM

There was rumours of Diana converting when the Duchess of Kent did. The press badgered Cardinal Hume for weeks asking if Diana was going to convert.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireweaver
no, your kids stay in line as long as they're raised protestant
The British Royal Family are Anglicans not Protestants.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Keep in mind the marriage of an heir to the throne requires the consent of the Queen and Parliament. It is highly unlikely William would be allowed to marry anyone who is not Anglican (i.e. a Muslim) or willing to convert to the Church of England prior to marriage. So, in practice, the Act of Settlement can be used in a number of ways to ensure union with the Church.

The Church of England remains within the temporal power of the Crown and anyone close to the succession must marry someone in communion with it.
HRH Prince William is allowed to marry a girl from another religion except a Muslim and a Roman Catholic.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM

There's no muslim ban although in the present climate, I'm not sure it would go down well. The only faith that has an explicit ban is the Roman Catholic faith but effectively, all other Christian denominations are banned too because the Sovereign must be in communion with the Anglican church.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
The British Royal Family are Anglicans not Protestants.
The Anglican Church falls under the auspices of Protestantism. There are two branches of Christianity: Catholicism and Protestantism. Anglicans, Methodists, and Episcopalians are examples of Protestant Churches. I used to get so confused on this all the time so I just wanted to help others clarify.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Well, that's right Lady Marmalade but the Royal Family are Anglicans because they are in communion with the Church of England which although Protestant, is not the same as other Protestant denominations. In Britain, they'd be described as worshipping in High Church which is almost like a seperate branch of the Anglican church although not officially.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
There's no muslim ban although in the present climate, I'm not sure it would go down well. The only faith that has an explicit ban is the Roman Catholic faith but effectively, all other Christian denominations are banned too because the Sovereign must be in communion with the Anglican church.
A few years ago after the death of Diana an official at Buckingham Palace on condition of annoynmity has confirmed that The Queen has issued a decree banning members' of her family from marrying a Muslim.They are allowed to marry a person from another denomination of Christianity except a Roman Catholic as long as any child produced are brought up as an Anglican.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Hypothetically, I wonder what would happen if one converted to the Protestant faith (from Catholicism) to marry a member of the Brit. Royal Family & they would raise the kids in the CofE, but then a few years later, went back to Catholicism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
There also wouldn't be a problem, apparently, if a Protestant spouse converted to Catholicism after the marriage. The Act talks about marrying a Catholic, not being married to one.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
The Anglican Church falls under the auspices of Protestantism. There are two branches of Christianity: Catholicism and Protestantism. Anglicans, Methodists, and Episcopalians are examples of Protestant Churches. I used to get so confused on this all the time so I just wanted to help others clarify.
While most of us of the Christian faith in the Western world (and former colonies like us) know of only these two divisions, there is another branch i.e. the Eastern Orthodox churches e.g. Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox. I only became aware of this line when the Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt was established in my country.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
A few years ago after the death of Diana an official at Buckingham Palace on condition of annoynmity has confirmed that The Queen has issued a decree banning members' of her family from marrying a Muslim.They are allowed to marry a person from another denomination of Christianity except a Roman Catholic as long as any child produced are brought up as an Anglican.
I very much doubt the Queen has "issued a decree banning members of her family from marrying a Muslim". Sounds like nonsense to me. Is there a reliable source for this?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Nobility

It would be shameful for a royal to marry a Muslim and then convert.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It would be shameful for a royal to marry a Muslim and then convert.
"Shameful" for who? How? Why?
Rather than making these pronouncements as statements of fact, it would be better to give reasons for such opinions, and preferably based on something of substance.
The relevance of this to the Line of Succession would be also be welcome.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Nobility

Royal families need to represent and reflect their country. Spain is Catholic, Britain is largely Protestant. Culturally these countries reflect this fact in official ceremonies,etc, (which should, of course, not have anything to do with the individial subject's personal religion).

If something works, there is no point in rushing to change it for political correctness.

There is no law that would stop William marrying a Muslim, Hindu or Jew. But if it was likely to cause a constitutional crisis the girl would probably be asked to convert, or the Queen would refuse to give permission in line with the Royal Marriages Act.

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession