The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shame cousins don't marry anymore. Then Willam could marry either Zara or Beatrice and give us a Queen who "knows the ropes".

I personally would like to see Prince William marry Princess Madeline of Sweden and Prince Harry marry Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco.

RubyPrincess168 said:
I personally would like to see Prince William marry Princess Madeline of Sweden and Prince Harry marry Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco.

Of course if Harry made that match he would be out of the line of succession due to the fact that she is Roman Catholic.

Unless Charlotte converted to the Anglican Church prior to the marriage.

BeatrixFan said:
Thats just what I wanted Mapple - thankyou!

Queen Anne-Marie of Greece is 219th and King Constantine is 420th - that could cause an argument.....:p
Sorry Beatix Fan your incorrect about King Constantine Of Hellens (Greece) is not 420th but 406th line to the British throne.

It was my understanding that the British royals cannot keep their place in the line of succession if they marry anyone who has been Catholic (even if the Catholic converts).

Has any king/queen been succeeded by a grandchild?

For example, if Prince Charles passes away before becoming king, does Prince William become #1 in the line of succesion?(thus becoming king upon the passing of the Queen)

Why isn't Princess Anne #4 in the line of succession?

Why isn't Princess Anne #4 in the line of succession?
Is it only because she's a woman?

Thanks!

It is because her brothers are ahead of her in line to the throne and they all have children, who in turn steps into the line directly after their respective fathers. Thus, for every child that Charles, Andrew and Edward have Anne slips down the line a notch. There is also a thread under British Royals about the line of succession.

Last edited:
KathyMoore said:

For example, if Prince Charles passes away before becoming king, does Prince William become #1 in the line of succesion?(thus becoming king upon the passing of the Queen)

Yes and yes.

King Carl Gustav in Sweden succeeded his grandfather because his father died when he was only a small child.

grevinnan said:
It is because her brothers are ahead of her in line to the throne and they all have children, who in turn steps into the line directly after their respective fathers. Thus, for every child that Charles, Andrew and Edward have Anne slips down the line a notch. There is also a thread under Brittish Royals about the line of succession.

It's every male child, I believe.

Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Edward

I believe is how it goes.

Sister Morphine said:
It's every male child, I believe.
Actually, I believe it is
Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Beatrice
Eugenie
Edward
Louise
Anne

Last edited by a moderator:

In Britain, Richard II and George III both succeeded their grandfathers, since their fathers (Edward the Black Prince and Frederick Prince of Wales)predeceased their own fathers (Edward III and George II).

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
You forgot Andrew's daughter's & Edward's daughter on that list.
Isn't it the males before the females?

Last edited by a moderator:
iowabelle said:
It was my understanding that the British royals cannot keep their place in the line of succession if they marry anyone who has been Catholic (even if the Catholic converts).
If the Catholic converts, they keep their place in line. At the time of the wedding, the spouse can't be Catholic. If they were Catholic before the wedding and convert to something else (the arrangement proposed for Marie Christine), or if they convert to Catholic after the wedding (The Duchess of Kent), it has no impact on succession status.

Sister Morphine said:

It's the males before the females in a given lineage. Prince Charles and his sons precede Andrew and his daughters, who precede Edward and his daughter, who precede Anne and her son and daughter. If Andrew or Edward were to have a son, that son would precede his sisters but not his female cousins born to older brothers.

If Andrew had a son, he would precede Beatrice and Eugenie. If Edward had a son, he would precede Louise but would not precede Beatrice and Eugenie.

Sister Morphine said:

Yes- in a way. If Andrew & Sarah had had a son who was born in lets say 1995 he would be before Beatrice & Eugenie. Andrew's kids take precedence over Edward, just like Edward's daughter takes precedence over Anne. Anne's kids are ahead of Princess Margaret's kids.
Here is the line of Succession to the British Throne:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Succession_to_the_British_Throne
Males come before females in their branches of the family.

I was incorrect it is diffucult to see what place a person is in a line of to a throne of over more than 800 people. King constantine Of Hellens (Greece) is 408 in line to the british throne.

Number crunching

Next Star said:
I was incorrect it is diffucult to see what place a person is in a line of to a throne of over more than 800 people. King constantine Of Hellens (Greece) is 408 in line to the british throne.
There's no point getting too caught up in someone's exact position in the Line of Succession once we move out of the extended Royal Family because births and deaths (and marriage to Roman Catholics, conversion to Catholicism etc) mean the ranking constantly changes.

Could we keep the discussion to the British Line of Succession please.
Some posts concerning succession issues in other countries have been removed.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Myself and a few others have successfully added all of the skipped people in line for the throne, so I think it's fully up-to-date at this point, unless there are some mistaken omissions somewhere.

hi jux asking wat happen if wiliam become prince of wales but he do not have son only daughter but harry has a son..will william daughter be the future queen or harry son will be the future king?

rain_oh said:
hi jux asking wat happen if wiliam become prince of wales but he do not have son only daughter but harry has a son..will william daughter be the future queen or harry son will be the future king?

If William had only girls they would still be ahead of Harry's kids- even if Harry had all boys. Now if William had (lets say) 2 girls & then 10yrs later he had a son. The son would then be ahead of his sisters.

Last edited:
kelly9480 said:
If the Catholic converts, they keep their place in line. At the time of the wedding, the spouse can't be Catholic. If they were Catholic before the wedding and convert to something else (the arrangement proposed for Marie Christine), or if they convert to Catholic after the wedding (The Duchess of Kent), it has no impact on succession status.

Where's branchg when you need him/her?

I'm pretty sure that a British royal can't marry a Catholic, even one who converts, and remain in the Line of Succession. (This struck me as pretty unfair.) I think the theory is, once a Papist, always a Papist.

In the consititution of Britain it does not that a person would lose his or her place upon their spouse becoming catholic but it does state that he or she would lose their place in the line of succession upon marrying a catholic or becoming catholic.

That's right. The Act of Settlement says that it's actually at the time of the marriage. If their children etc go on to convert, they do lose their places in succession, i.e - Nicholas Windsor.

The reason I'm stuck on this is that I was playing "What if..." I'm Catholic, and it startled me to see that, even if I "made the sacrifice" and converted, my husband would lose his spot in the Line of Succession. (And it seems pretty unfair that only Catholics are singled out in this way. If Gabriella Windsor marries her BF, is she going to lose her spot in the Line of Succession? -- I'm assuming her BF is not a Christian. -- I don't think so.)

I think the framers of the Act of Succession were concerned that a Catholic might make a subterfuge of a conversion... and then raise the children to be Catholic. I'm not sure that Queen Henrietta Maria was required to convert to the Church of England (my guess is NO, although I don't know for sure), but it is undeniable that her background as a French Catholic princess strongly influenced the later actions of her sons, Charles II and James II... bringing on the Glorious Revolution and the effective end of the House of Stuart in England.

Last edited:
I don't know if this question has been asked as there are 268 other post in this thread but...is Caroline of Monaco Catholic? If so, doesn't Ernst August loose his place in the line of succession? Or am I totally missing something? Somebody, anybody please enlighten me.

kerry said:
I don't know if this question has been asked as there are 268 other post in this thread but...is Caroline of Monaco Catholic? If so, doesn't Ernst August loose his place in the line of succession? Or am I totally missing something? Somebody, anybody please enlighten me.

Yes, she is Catholic... so I would assume he has already lost his place. His children by his first wife are keeping their spots. (I think that Princess Alexandra is being raised as a Protestant, but I am not 100% sure on that.)

iowabelle said:
Yes, she is Catholic... so I would assume he has already lost his place. His children by his first wife are keeping their spots. (I think that Princess Alexandra is being raised as a Protestant, but I am not 100% sure on that.)
He gave up his place the day he married Caroline. I know he had to tell the Queen he was getting married (& even get permission I think).
According to Wikipedia's page on Alexandra of Hanover, she is in line to the British throne (after her brothers- ErnstAugust's sons from his 1st marriag).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom