The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

The scots are fighters and stand for there cause. I have always liked that about them. But the law is that the soverign goes with the largest number from the monarchys of Scotland, England, and Great Britian.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

That does not make any sense....to go with the largest numbers..please elaborate.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Damn Scots. Always need keeping in check
Don't worry with a million English living in Scotland, they are diluting the blood!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry Lady M. Im really sick and my mind is scattered everywhere. That was poorly written. The Law is that the monarchs go with the largest number from previous soverigns of England, Scotland, and Great Britian. So lets say that there was a King James X of Scotland but the last King James of England was King James V. If James were to be King after Elizabeth II he would be King James XI of Great Britian. Do you get my point. The larger number takes precedent in Great Britian.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That does not make any sense....to go with the largest numbers..please elaborate
There was a Queen Elizabeth of England and none of Scotland. So they use the largest numeber (1) and Elizabeth uses II even though there never was an Elizabeth I in Scotland

I'll try a hypothetical example. If Scotland had an Queen Oppie V and England had an Queen Oppie II, the next Queen Oppie of the Untied Kingdom would be Queen Oppie VI since Scotland has the highest number.

ETA : Sorry PrinceJohnny I posted at the same time as you :)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

But the Scots still call her Queen Elizabeth I, I have read and heard.

Just trying to be really clear.

Thank you, Prince Jonnhy and Oppie, for your clarifications. :)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is simply Queen Elizabeth to most scots. And the II is avoided on mailboxes in Scotland to. It just has a QE on it . Officaly she is QEII in scotland. I have also heard goverment officals in scotland refere to her as Elizabeth, Queen of Scots. The scots also started a quarrel of whether to use Her Majesty. They wanted to use the scots version and say Her Grace. If they had gotten their way she would be Her Grace Elizabeth, Queen of Scots
Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Why Her Grace?

That style only precedes a non-royal duke and duchess......
Old 11-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Nobility

In Scotland, it was a proper way to address their monarch; just like it was in pre-Henry VIII England, I think.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
Anytime Lady M. I have always been fasinated with Scotland. I love Monarch of the Glen. I have always wanted to buy a house in the Highlands or move to one of the cities. Africa and Scotland/Ireland are my dream places.
I know..I love that show! We get it on BBC America. :)

So can someone explain the current Stuart claim to the throne? I read somewhere there is a Scot who has his own website and makes his claim that he should be king of Great Britain, etc.

These are the gray areas which always confuse me..... :)
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
I know..I love that show! We get it on BBC America. :)

So can someone explain the current Stuart claim to the throne? I read somewhere there is a Scot who has his own website and makes his claim that he should be king of Great Britain, etc.

These are the gray areas which always confuse me..... :)
Hmm. I don't know about him, but the current 'legitimate' "Stuart" claimant would be the Duke of Bavaria. Maybe you already know that. In any case, I posted on this topic somewhere on this forum a few months ago, although I can't recall where. IMO, the few Stuart supporters are quacks living in a fantasy land. QE II is the legitimate Queen of the UK, since she is recognized as such by the Briitish people, which is all that matters. But I digress. In any case, if you want to know more about the Bavarian 'claim', visit the link below. The site is owned by an ardent Jacobite, and I think you'll learn more than you've ever wanted to on the subject ;-) http://www.jacobite.ca/
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Courtier

The Stuart and the guy with a website must be two different people.

This is the irony that I love, one of the heirs to the Stuart claim (the present person then goes to his brother then to her) is Sophie who is married to the Herditary Prince of Liechtenstein.

ETA I am always posting at the same time as someone else

I looked at the website the Stuart claim is The Duke then to his brother Max then to Sophie then to her son Joesph. So Joesph will be the prince of Liechtenstein and the Jacobite Pretender to the Untied Kingdom throne. I love the irony. Although I don't think any of them (the Duke Max and Sophie) have ever claimed to be.

There is also an Australian guy who has a claim because Edward III (I think) was illegitmate. He said he doesn't want it.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Sean. I knew you could help shed some light on this, and by the way, welcome to thread again after being gone a while. :)

Okay, now is there anyone else, other than the current Duke of Bavaria, and the current legitimate list of succession, who has tried in the past few years to make a legitimate claim?

The reason I ask, is I would like to explore any other men and women's claims out there whose lineage, could be linked as a direct heir to the throne. And if the circumstances were different, could make a legal claim if they wanted to.

We already listed the five dukedoms who would have a claim had their descendents been born into wedlock to either the current king or heir to the throne at the time.

Just trying to seek out all the other claims and proclamations..
Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Royal Highness

From Wikipedia:

Jacobite Claimants to the Thrones of England, Scotland, (France), and Ireland
Since Henry's death, none of the Jacobite heirs has actually claimed the throne. They are as follows (given with their Jacobite regnal titles):1Mary III/II and Mary IV/III were numbered in such a way because some Jacobites regard Elizabeth I of England as illegitimate, and therefore consider Mary Queen of Scots to have been the rightful Queen of England from the death of Mary I
Old 11-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

I thought I would post the list to the present day Duke of Bavaria so those not as familiar will understand why he has the claim.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ironically, both the Queen and Prince Philip were quite friendly with Albert, Duke of Bavaria, whom they met in the 1960's through Princess George of Hanover. After the Queen made her first state visit to Germany, the Duke was invited privately to Balmoral a few times with Princess George in the summer.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Honestly, there have been numerous quacks and imposters that have popped up over the years, none that anyone took seriously, I don't think. The most noteable was "Prince Michael of Albany". Sorry I can't help more.
That is the one I was referring to who has that website, "Prince Michael", thank you for clearing that up.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Doesn't he call himself King Michael of Scotland? Or does he stick with a lesser title?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.royalhouseofstewart.org.uk/

Here is his link to his site.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

So he's just sticking with the modest title "HRH Prince Michael of Albany." I hope the Queen isn't losing any sleep....

Tags
act of settlement, catholicism, line of succession, succession