Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering about this., At what point in History was the Support and Popularity of The British Monarch at it lowest ever? Was it in the late 1860s-1870s during Victoria Reign that the Popularity of the Monarchy was at it lowest ever?

Tricky question because views will vary from the time of absolute monarchy, through changes to the parliamentary democracy to constitutional monarchy.

I think one of the all time lows was during the last 30 years of George III's reign when the King was mad; lost America; Prince Regent and all of his brothers were ridiculed and despised and people worried about about the future of the monarchy. They were thought debauched with many children born out of wedlock (different times). Victoria was seen as a breath of fresh air in when she came to the throne.

Of course the Catholic majority at the time of the Reformation were not pro-Henry VIII.

I would argue that support for the monarchy may have been at an all-time low at the end of the reign of Charles I.

I think you might be right about George III, I never thought about that. Also from what I read Britons were pretty fed up with his sons as well (extravagance lifestyles, High Debt, Infidelities, etc) Victoria was really a breath fresh air compared to her uncles and the end of her Grandfather Reign. She was Very popular unlike her uncles. I read George III was popular but then eventually became pretty unpopular

I would argue that support for the monarchy may have been at an all-time low at the end of the reign of Charles I.

That is true! Charles I is the only Monarch to cause the Monarchy to be abolished.

I would have to agree Ish - 1640s which resulted in the overthrow and execution of the monarch.

Next the late 1860s-early 1870s when Victoria was absent and Albert Edward was involved in the divorce scandal.

Then the late period of George III - his sons not married and rather dissolute but that was offset by the victory against Napoleon and although George himself wasn't in charge by that time Prinny was rather popular as a result and a royal wedding and expected heir to boot.

The week after Diana's death was the lowest in the 20th C I think with real threats to the safety of the family that week.

I would agree that the end of the reign of Charles I would have to have been the lowest point simply because opinion can be measured after a fashion. Any other period it's difficult to say because methods of measuring public opinion have changed so much and I dare say the class/es of people whose opinions would be considered would also have changed over the years. We have a much better idea of the popularity of the family or individuals now simply because of the sophistication of opinion polls and the steps taken to try to make them truly representative (if they wish to be seen as a reputable poll).

On the subject of the Hanovers though, when I was a child I had a book on the Kings and Queens of the UK and to illustrate the unpopularity of the Georges it repeated a (supposedly) popular rhyme that did the rounds of the time.

I sing in praise of Georges four
For providence could stand no more.
Some say that far the worst
of all was George the First.
But yet by some tis reckoned
worse still was George the Second.
And what mortal ever heard
any good of George the Third.
When George the Fourth from earth descended
Thank God the line of Georges ended.

How reliable the book/quote was I have no idea.

Would now be a good time to have a referendum on whether to keep the monarchy or not?

While Liz is on the throne the outcome would likely be a majority yes vote, but if Charles in king when a referendum is held, the monarchy may be less popular.

No - there will never be a referendum on this subject within the next 50 years IMO.

No - there will never be a referendum on this subject within the next 50 years IMO.

The popularity of the monarchy will no doubt drop when the Queen has passed, I was thinking a referendum now (with an almost guaranteed high yes vote) would help silence any criticism of the institution in the coming years.

Would now be a good time to have a referendum on whether to keep the monarchy or not?

While Liz is on the throne the outcome would likely be a majority yes vote, but if Charles in king when a referendum is held, the monarchy may be less popular.
No there is no need for it. The monarchy is a safe as houses. Oh by the way her name is not Liz it's Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. :cool:

The popularity of the monarchy will no doubt drop when the Queen has passed, I was thinking a referendum now (with an almost guaranteed high yes vote) would help silence any criticism of the institution in the coming years.
Do you have a time machine?

Why would we have an referendum on an issue that is not seriously questioned by any large group of people. Even at its best republicanism never polled at over 25%. Now a referendum on the EU, thats is a whole different issue and the outcome uncertain.

Last edited:
I think you might be right about George III, I never thought about that. Also from what I read Britons were pretty fed up with his sons as well (extravagance lifestyles, High Debt, Infidelities, etc) Victoria was really a breath fresh air compared to her uncles and the end of her Grandfather Reign. She was Very popular unlike her uncles. I read George III was popular but then eventually became pretty unpopular

Sorry, to be rude. Have you ever read a history book? I teach this subject, have never heard such a banal comment.

Sorry, to be rude. Have you ever read a history book? I teach this subject, have never heard such a banal comment.

Yes I have read history books, I have watched documentaries and have read/researched historical websites and I have seen Users on here say the same thing in the past as well, It well known. So what is Your Problem? Get the Bias US History book out of your ***
Obviously no one had a problem with what I said or they would have said something. Again why are you here? I use to like you but now my opinion of you is changing everyday.

Last edited:
You speak of George III, as if he were a mythical figure of greatness. There were problems, you don't seem to acknowledge. Many had to do with his government, as he was often not well, another problem. It was your Pollyanna attitude, as if you never knew anything about the history, that disturbed me. As I have studied all over the world, I do not keep a biased U.S. History book in my mind. I can see all facets. Actually, Old George had some wonderful qualities, better than some of the royals, today. And if you do not wish anyone to comment on your posts, say so.

You speak of George III, as if he were a mythical figure of greatness. There were problems, you don't seem to acknowledge. Many had to do with his government, as he was often not well, another problem. It was your Pollyanna attitude, as if you never knew anything about the history, that disturbed me. As I have studied all over the world, I do not keep a biased U.S. History book in my mind. I can see all facets. Actually, Old George had some wonderful qualities, better than some of the royals, today. And if you do not wish anyone to comment on your posts, say so.

Where did I say that George III was a mythical Figure? I never said that! He Wes not a mythical Figure! You are twisting my Words again, He was popular at one point but became unpopular in the last 20 years so. I know he had lot of problems. It wasn't later until he became unwell. I have read enough books, Watched enough documentaries and studied enough about George III to know enough about him. I also read a lot about George III on here also. He was not perfect and he had his bad and Good qualities like any other Monarch even the ones who are considered the Best! I never said he was the best monarch ever, in fact I wouldn't put him In The top ten.

I did not say that I did not people's to reply to my comments. Where did I say that? I never said that anywhere! I said that no one replied to my comments so most must have agreed or knew what I was saying. You Obviously never read the last 13 posts (before you started whining or whatever) or so otherwise you would have gotten it as I never said any if the things you claim.

Last edited:

I agree. It will be interesting to see what the popularity levels are when "Liz" (didn't know you guys called her that) is no longer Queen. I also wonder what the Camilla factor will be?

Nationwide referendums are extremely rare in Britain. Only two have happened, and both were about specific constitutional changes. If a government isn't planning to abolish the monarchy, it would see little reason to hold a referendum on a hypothetical.

Last edited:
Despite what you may read in the press support for the monarchy as an institution is running very high in the UK and even at its lowest ebb support was still clearly in favour.

I think it's mostly Harry's youth and visibility that make him so popular. If we're speaking of young people, I think that's even more important. Why being in an attack helicopter would "endear" anyone to anybody, I can't imagine. Such courage can be admired, but endearing? Really?

Young people probably like the fact that he makes getting drunk and behaving stupidly fashionable and acceptable - so they follow his lead and think it is ok.

Were there any YOUNG royals who were not popular in their day?

Celebrity factor IMO. What counts is when they are no longer young. Let's look at the figures for Charles and Camilla and those of that generation instead.

Anyone have them?

Young people probably like the fact that he makes getting drunk and behaving stupidly fashionable and acceptable - so they follow his lead and think it is ok.

Since I work among young people, I think this is closer to the truth. I have no proof, but I think this is what has "endeared" him to younger people on more than one continent. He also has goofed up enough to aid most young people in their cause of explaining their own gaffes.

Were there any YOUNG royals who were not popular in their day?
On Australian television news this week a "reporter" in London was surmising that Prince Charles will take the regnal name of George VII and Prince George will therefore become George VIII. His excited conclusion was that we "could have two King Georges in a row!"

If he was told there were once "four King Georges in a row" he would have fallen off his chair. More significantly, the absence of a William V between George 7 and George 8 confirms that Prince William is now old hat. Under the current criteria of royal heirs being selected solely on their youth appeal, magazine cover sales and number of Twitter followers, Facebook friends and YouTube hits, it's obvious Wills has been bumped and replaced by the younger, cuter and more appealing son.

Just goes to show that the "it" factor doesn't last as long as it used to. :D

If we go back - Elizabeth was the world's darling in the 40s and 50s and less so in the 60s while in the 70s, 80s and 90s she was 'old and boring' and Charles was the darling, although he fell off his perch in the late 80s and 90s due to the War of the Wales but now the Queen is back as the grand lady of the family while Charles is the 'old and boring' with young William and even younger George to take the appeal.

Go back to the period of WWI and it was Edward VIII who was the world's darling while his father was seen as 'old and boring' but in the early 30s George V was loved and admired as the grandfatherly figure.

It is normal - love the young, despise the middle-aged and revere the elderly. Charles will come into his own again as he continues to age - in 20 years there will be fears for the future of the monarchy under William and Kate and then George will make them grandparents and if Charles is still with us as the patriarch of the family he will be revered and George will be the young one with calls to 'jump William for George'.

Good News for the Royal Family: Confidence in the British Monarch at all time High.

Confidence in British monarchy at all-time high, poll shows - Telegraph

"Three quarters of people believe that the newborn Prince George will one day accede to the throne to which he is third in line, the ComRes survey for The Sunday Telegraph found.
Just 9 per cent of those questioned think that he will not become king because Britain will have become a republic — whereas a poll in 2011 found that a quarter of people expected a republic to emerge within 50 years.
Even among 18 to 24-year-olds, the age group most likely to hold republican views, today’s poll shows a solid 69 per cent believe that Prince George will one day become king.
The poll suggests that the majority of the country sees no benefit in republicanism, with some two thirds of those polled (66 per cent) thinking that Britain is better off as a monarchy.
Only 17 per cent wanted a republic instead.'

42% of voters think the throne should pass to Prince Charles while 38% think it should go to Prince William

Obviously Polls will always fluctuate depending a lot of things but The Monarchy has been on a High (Support, approval, etc.) for the last Two Years something it probably haven't seen since the 1980s.

A couple months ago I asked when he Monarchy was at it lowest approval/popularity but now at what point in History has the monarchy has the Monarchy been the most popular? with the most support and approval? I was thinking end of World war 2 but If not that would be up there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom