Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
How is he overstepping his bonds? All the links you posted detail private correspondence, private conversations and private pieces of advice Prince Charles gave, taking into consideration the welfare of his country and people, as he sees it.

As the Prince of Wales he is not constitutionally bound not to "meddle". Now, when he becomes Monarch, he will be bound to remain neutral, and I'm sure he knows it. But until that day, he presumably has the same right to free speech as any other human being.

:previous:
How is he overstepping his bonds? All the links you posted detail private correspondence, private conversations and private pieces of advice Prince Charles gave, taking into consideration the welfare of his country and people, as he sees it.

As the Prince of Wales he is not constitutionally bound not to "meddle". Now, when he becomes Monarch, he will be bound to remain neutral, and I'm sure he knows it. But until that day, he presumably has the same right to free speech as any other human being.

I think he has raised some eyebrows, but I do agree that I prefer to assume that when he becomes monarch, he will remain neutral. He's not a dumb man. And most of his meddling has done quite a bit of good.

I'd rather a Prince of Wales meddle for the common good than one who behaved like Edward VII and VIII.

The press loves to have a good kick at Charles, even when he has had more of a positive impact on this nation that any other royal in the last 100 years.

As Artemisia says, there is no constitutional requirement for the Prince of Wales not to put his views to politicians. There is no constitutional blueprint for the role of Prince of Wales at all. Charles has essentially made it up as he's gone along, but to admirable effect.

When Charles visited Tottenham last summer after the riots and took it upon himself to try and help the people involved, you could say he's getting involved in the political sphere and he should leave it alone. At the heart of the riots were issues of poverty, family breakdown, unemployment, crime, drugs, gang culture among other things. All of these issues are overtly political; these are the issues that MPs argue about in the House of Commons. So, should Charles not touch it? Should he just turn to those people who lost everything and say, this is not my problem? I'm not allowed to help? I'm sure the people of Tottenham would've loved that.

With Charles, everything he does is a result of his passion and deep concern for the people of this country and the Commonwealth. He's decided to stick his head above the parapet and actually try to use his position to really make a difference. He knew he'd take a kicking from certain quarters for trying to do more than simply cut ribbons and shake hands. As long as he stays out of party politics, I'm personally quite happy for him to continue to do so. Charles will have plans in place for what happens when he inherits, to ensure that his charities' work continues.

do any of you think when Charles is king people will like him

do any of you think when Charles is king people will like him

I think so. I think they already do - in spite of the really odd press he gets. I think so many people have been touched in a positive way by his work that the press will begin to reflect the reality rather than the flawed narrative.

In fact, I think in the future, Charles will be so respected, and seen as so unique (in a good way) as a monarch, that William may suffer in comparison. He will have a lot to live up to to fill his father's shoes IMO.

sorry but i don't think you know what you're talking about its not "rumor" its fact . numerous papers detailing through the freedom of information act his meddling in politics even Channel 4 documentary on YouTube detailing his attempts at influencing policy called the "meddling prince"

It's not fact because nobody can actually prove that Prince Charles has meddling in anything. A channel 4 documentary means nothing, they're just repeating the news stories that appear every year when the press have nothing to write.

i dont care how much good Charles's charities do. what concerns me as someone who supports the monarchy and the Commonwealth that he is overstepping his bounds. and that it will continue when he becomes king and could hurt the monarchy and damage its popularity even create a political crisis

Well you're worrying about the wrong things then, Charles' work he's done and doing for charities far outweighs any rumours you listen to. He's an excellent man, a wonderful Prince and will make a fine King when he gets the chance. Can you give me one solid reason where or when he has overstepped his "bounds" and perhaps what exactly are his bounds?

You cannot predict what will happen when Charles becomes King, but if his meddling has gone on for 60 years and we have had no political crisis and the monarchy has not fallen nor has its popularity dropped, and it seems that some good has come out of this rumoured meddling. What's the issue?

Charles would never do anything to harm or hurt his country, so if this meddling actually exists it's for the good of the country.

Seeing as how over stepping his bounds have come up, I would also like to know what these bounds are? I believe the RF in the UK are prohibited from voting but does that mean they can not address issues they support? Has Charles publicly stated I support one politician over another? What are the written rules to what non-monarch on the BRF are allowed to do?

Seeing as how over stepping his bounds have come up, I would also like to know what these bounds are? I believe the RF in the UK are prohibited from voting but does that mean they can not address issues they support? Has Charles publicly stated I support one politician over another? What are the written rules to what non-monarch on the BRF are allowed to do?

As far as I know only the monarch himself cannot vote, all other members of the Royal family could but don't do it as they feel they should be above politics. But if Beatrice of York decided to become a politician she could even become prime minister. Charles as well, as long as he is not the king. As for taking sides and influence politicians - of course he should do so! As long as he doesn't try to get others to do something against the law, it is okay. IMHO, of course. But to give input on upcoming laws should be the right of any citizen of a democracy, prince or no prince. Later, as king, Charles will have other opportunities to advise "his" government. But for now, it is absolutely correct to make good on his rights as a citizen.

One should not forget that the "Royal peerages" were created to give the Royal family personal influence in the House of Lords at a time when the House of Lords actually ruled.

One of the joys of an unwritten or uncodified constitution is that it's incredibly flexible and vague. There is no document or statute that details the constitutional role or responsibility of the Prince of Wales. The only royal with a responsibility to remain apolitical is the monarch.

However, the royal family generally as a whole try not to be party political, and very rarely take on issues with an overt political overtone. The Prince of Wales has chosen to dedicate his life to using the 'convening power' of his position as he puts it to try and tackle the big issues of the day which are political. He doesn't support one political party over another, however.

So he is well known for writing regularly to ministers to give his opinion on matters about which he is passionate and has experience of through his charities. The democratically elected ministers are under no obligation to act on Charles correspondence. They can read Charles's letter and bin it if they want to.

If we're going to be strict about this, we need to acknowledge that everything is political. If you're going to ban Charles from touching anything even vaguely political, he won't be able to do anything. In working to try and counteract the problem of climate change, he is dealing with a political issue. It just so happens that his opinion on it is the 'accepted' wisdom on this issue, so no one says anything about it.

We also need to acknowledge that the Queen is not entirely apolitical. We know that she lobbies on behalf of the armed forces via her regular meetings with the PM and other ministers. She has spoken out, quite subtly, against the break up of the Union.

So long as Charles in not party political, I think he's safe enough. When he's King his ability to try and affect the sort of change he wants to see will be curtailed, but I think he knows that and will amend his behaviour accordingly.

I agree! :flowers:

Better a POW who cares about real issues, and who has the ability to carve out a role for himself than Edward VII and VIII.

As for Charles' popularity as King, he will never be as popular as his mother, but this does not mean people will not support the monarchy in general in Britain, esp. with popularity for Will and Kate who follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be support as long as people see sense in the monarchy. My guess is that if it goes one day, it will be the last monarchy of all to go.

People respect QEII because she has been around for such a long time, more than a lifetime, most people dont know any different. With Charles, it will be different. Society has moved on, people will see a difference for the better or worse between Charles & QEII and while his mother was never really questioned, Charles will be. Its a result of open society who doesnt take anything for god given.

From Charles onwards, people will look for the benefit. If people feel that he and his successors do a good job they will stay, if they dont, they will be abolished eventually. My guess is that with the Brits it will take another century or two until they do go because the institution will fit less and less into the modern idea of society & leadership, other countries will see their monarchy go in our lifetime already.

There is no question for me that Charles, William & William's offspring will reign.

I'm currently watching a programme on ITV called Prince Charles: The Restoration Prince. Anyone who's ever had the slightest doubt about Charles needs to watch it. The man is an inspiration.

Edward VII was denied the opportunities Charles has been given on the orders of his mother. He did actually carve out a role for himself and did what he could to raise issues with the governments of the day - e.g. he served on the housing commission that made a report to parliament to improve the housing of the very poor but when the subsequent bill reached the House of Lords he was advised that he couldn't vote on it because that would be seen as the royal family trying to influence the government - he knew that if he voted for the bill it would pass but if he didn't it would fail but he followed the advice, didn't vote and the bill failed. He was very upset.

He would have loved to have had the support of his monarch to serve his nation more during his waiting years. The Queen we have today learnt from the mistake her great-grandmother made and gave her son the leeway to get involved in a range of activities. Victoria would have preferred Bertie to basically live at home and never do anything but he did quite a lot of good and would have liked to do more.

As King he did a lot of good as well - particularly promoting the military to be prepared for war, and his wife was involved in organising army nurses, along with his foreign affair achievements of setting up the situation whereby the Entente Cordiale could be negotiated - not that he was involved in the negotiations but he made it possible. He was far more in tune with the needs of his people than people often think as King.

Yes he lived the life of a rich man but he also wanted to help the poor - but unlike Charles didn't really get the opportunities because first both his parents and then just his mother denied him those chances e.g. he wanted to serve in the army but no he could only spend about 12 weeks doing training - Charles served fully in the navy.

Edward VIII - is a different person - he had the opportunities denied his grandfather but he chose to waste them in many ways.

Yes I think Edward VII tends to be disregarded as the fat man who loved his luxery and because of his short reign. And honestly how could anyone compete with his mothers image. George V and VI were 'fortunate' in that they had a war to prove themselves patriotically. And by that time QV reign was a distant memory. Charles will have the same problem, a short reign after a popular and long serving Queen. However he has already made a name for himself. A good one in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
British satisfaction with the Queen is at record high after Jubilee as 90 per cent think she's doing her job well

The Queen is enjoying record levels of public approval following her Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Nine out of ten Britons are happy with the way she is doing her job, a survey shows. This is the highest rating she has received since 1992, when the question was first asked, according to the latest Ipsos Mori poll. The Queen’s leadership means the Monarchy itself has also retained support, with 77 per cent favouring Britain remaining a monarchy and only 15 per cent preferring a republic. Prince Charles is also enjoying his highest ever satisfaction ratings with eight in ten (78 per cent) satisfied with the way he is doing his job as Prince of Wales.

I know not a single politician in history who ever enjoyed approval rating of 90%.
In fact, since the support of Monarch in general is just below 80%, it would mean that most of the republicans feel Her Majesty is doing her job well.

Great to see the overwhelming majority (nearly 80%) supports Prince Charles as well; he most certainly deserves it. What with his approval rating and his son's, the future of the British Monarch appears to be quite safe.

Last edited:
Certainly no elected politician could get near those approval ratings.

I'm sure lots of dictators could've produced 'surveys' showing 100% public approval.

The approval of the monarchy is geniune.

British satisfaction with the Queen is at record high after Jubilee as 90 per cent think she's doing her job well

I know not a single politician in history who ever enjoyed approval rating of 90%.
In fact, since the support of Monarch in general is just below 80%, it would mean that most of the republicans feel Her Majesty is doing her job well.

Great to see the overwhelming majority (nearly 80%) supports Prince Charles as well; he most certainly deserves it. What with his approval rating and his son's, the future of the British Monarch appears to be quite safe.

Bush Jr.'s approval rating a month after 9/11 was 92%:
The Washington Post - Behind the Numbers

Several presidents have reached over 80%. Even Nixon, the most reviled US President of all time, had (at one point) an approval of 67%.

Generally high approval ratings occur after major events, in this case, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Not that it isn't warranted, but this poll is no more reputable or accurate than any other poll...

90% approval is, to me, entirely in line with what I have experienced personally in terms of the public's feelings towards the Queen. People talk about her being respected and admired, which she undoubtedly is; but I think people underestimate the extent to which she is truly loved.

Much more significant in these numbers is the approval for Charles. This is very encouraging for those of us who want the monarchy to succeed well into the 21st Century.

I'm watching the England vs Brazil match being played at the moment, and during the entire match I've heard God Save the Queen sung, a good 5 or 6 times with rapturous applause to follow.

I'm surprised, I know it's football but it makes me smile.

Go to an Ashes Test in Australia and you will hear it regularly as well from the Barmy Army towards the Aussies with one major word difference - not God Save 'OUR' Queen but God Save 'YOUR' Queen.

Not sure exactly where to put this:

New poll reveals two thirds of Brits think the Queen does a wonderful job but 80 per cent would like to see more of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

75 per cent say the Queen is doing a brilliant job of leading the country
Two thirds say she should consider lightening her load but not retire
The extra help should come from the Duke of Cambridge say 80 per cent
One in 10 look to the royals for guidance in morals and manners

Read more: New poll reveals two thirds of Brits think the Queen does a wonderful job but 80 per cent would like to see more of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | Mail Online

There's a reason I call myself "DEMOCRATNMONOCOLE". I am fascinated by the Royal Family and the Queen and particularly how so many people seem to revere them. With respect, I'm especially fascinated by how sycophants like The Telegraph hold such reverence for the Royal Family that they can apparently do no wrong, especially the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Remember thirty years that people were saying the same thing of Charles and Diana. The dashing naval "hero" (actual heroes do things, not wear uniforms and fly unauthorized helicopter flights past Birkhall House {look it up}) and his "Fairy Tale" princess bride. The real Forces member at the time was the Prince Andrew, as now it's Prince Harry. But alas as usual, the older brother gets 90% of the attention. Read as well what was said of the Prince of Wales: "He entertained lavishly and lived a life of dissipation". That was said of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward, shortly before he became King after his mother, Queen Victoria had reigned for sixty-three years. So is said now of the Prince of Wales, with Clarence House, Highgrove, Birkhall, etc.
I am both a Democrat and an avid monarchist. However I find this untoward worship unhealthly. Their "job" is to wave to crowds, tour schools and hospitals, cut ribbons and review military parades. For that, they live a nearly unmatched life of privilege and luxury, not because they worked their tails off for thirty years, not because they invested right but merely because they were born to it (with the exception of Catherine, who despite giving the apperance of being a very bright young woman with her 2:1 Honours degree from St. Andrews, seems to have had no true ambition but wait for William to marry her). Before she became pregnant and suffered from morning sickness, for which I have sympathy for her (particularly the dreadfulness of the nurse's suicide that followed), what did she do on a day-to-day basis? For most days, the Court Circular listed her as performing no "royal duties" at all. What did she do? Have lunch with her mother and sister? Shop on Regent Street? Read at the Anglesey cottage. Catch a football match on TV. Are ANY of you seriously going to try to tell me with a straight face that this is a strenuous life for a healthly 31-year-old university-educated person? If so please learn the difference between fantasy and reality. The only one of the Royal Family that really is worth value for money is Her Majesty. She has to reguarly meet with the Prime Minister, other Secretaries of State, read and sign paperwork from every Cabinet department every day and carry out her own schedule of making small talk with business owners or actors or politicians. What did the Duchess do a few weeks ago? Sing songs around a camp fire with the Scouts? Are you SERIOUSLY going to tell me that that's serious work? If so, please grow up. Also keep in mind that I am an American and we did fight two wars to be free of this nonsense (though as a historian I am quite aware that King George III was only following ministerial advice in prosecuting the war, thank you VERY much).

" I am both a Democrat and an avid monarchist"

"Also keep in mind that I am an American and we did fight two wars to be free of this nonsense "

these appear to be contradictory statements. In what way are you a monarchist? Nothing you have written supports that view.

You shouldn't get confused between the facts and what papers write, especially papers such as the Daily Mail.

Catherine is not a full-time working royal. This was made clear when they got married. Her Majesty The Queen agreed and approves of this approach. And there is no cause to condemn any woman who decides that supporting her husband is her job. Many women do it - making a home and raising children are their job. If they can afford it - why not?

But she does undertake royal duties and these will increase over time. As agreed with HMQ.

If you want to just have a rant and criticise, then is a separate thread for that.

Last edited:
There's a reason I call myself "DEMOCRATNMONOCOLE". I am fascinated by the Royal Family and the Queen and particularly how so many people seem to revere them. With respect, I'm especially fascinated by how sycophants like The Telegraph hold such reverence for the Royal Family that they can apparently do no wrong, especially the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Remember thirty years that people were saying the same thing of Charles and Diana. The dashing naval "hero" (actual heroes do things, not wear uniforms and fly unauthorized helicopter flights past Birkhall House {look it up}) and his "Fairy Tale" princess bride. The real Forces member at the time was the Prince Andrew, as now it's Prince Harry. But alas as usual, the older brother gets 90% of the attention. Read as well what was said of the Prince of Wales: "He entertained lavishly and lived a life of dissipation". That was said of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward, shortly before he became King after his mother, Queen Victoria had reigned for sixty-three years. So is said now of the Prince of Wales, with Clarence House, Highgrove, Birkhall, etc.

I do not see either Charles or Camilla living a life of "dissipation". Charles may have access as Prince of Wales to a lot of "lavishness" and several residences but if you look deeper into these places, you'll notice that a lot of official functions and royal engagements are hosted at Clarence House with either the Prince of Wales or the Duchess of Cornwall (or both) hosting. Actually his Highgrove property is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall but over the years, Charles has put a lot of work into his gardens and landscaping and from that grew his interests in sustainable farming and healthy eating. Hence was born the Duchy Originals. Does Charles profit from it? Not at all.

"We donate our profits to The Prince’s Charities Foundation, which was founded by HRH The Prince of Wales in 1979. The Prince established the Foundation to enable him to help support a variety of charitable causes and projects." The history of Duchy Originals, its commitment to charity and our producers

I am both a Democrat and an avid monarchist. However I find this untoward worship unhealthly. Their "job" is to wave to crowds, tour schools and hospitals, cut ribbons and review military parades.

TBH, when I first came to TRF, if asked, I would have stated that this is also what I perceived the "job" of the BRF to be. Following what they do day to day, their interests and involvement with different organizations, their accomplishments and what they hope to accomplish, I have to say that what I thought was wrong. Charles is the hardest working royal in the family with Anne a close second behind him. There is so much information on these forums of the differences they are making and trying to make that over time I think we do get a clearer picture of how invaluable to the people the work that the BRF does is to the people.

Hang around a bit. Read what these people actually do with their lives. Ask questions. There's a lot of learning to be had here. My latest was reading about the different ceremonial rituals that go with the State Opening of Parliament. I never realized that they searched the cellar of the Palace of Westminster or that a member of the House of Commons was held "hostage" at Buckingham Palace until the Queen returned. :D

All of this makes me realize even more why the Queen will never even consider abdication and that should it be deemed necessary, Charles is more than ready to step in as Regent.

I would be delighted to explain the apparent contradiction. First of all they are and that is the entire point of calling myself democratNmonocole (I wanted to write and but they wouldn't let me). When I mean democrat I mean Democrat as in the Democratic Party of the United States. Monocole because as I wrote, I became fascinated by the Royal Family (starting with King George VI) about seven years ago. I was having stomach problems which have since become chronic and read the Wikipedia article on His late Majesty. I found that he was like me a shy, stammering chronically ill young man. This led to my reading more and more about the Royal Family. While I'm not sure if I can prove my level of knowledge to your satisification, I am very sure that I know more about the modern British Royal Family than 9 out of 10 people on an American street corner (I can assure you as well this is not conceit). I gnash my teeth every time I hear an American anchor call the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge "Prince William and Kate Middleton". Catherine no longer is Kate Middleton. She is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, or Catherine Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor (according to all evidence). I intially became fascinated because I was trying to figure out how these people (who in their habits, education, intellect, etc. are very ordinary) have become so adultered by the masses that every appearance of them, for no matter what reason, was chronicled in minute detail. I also discovered that Her Most Gracious Majesty (which is her formal style) is theorized to have the same Briggs-Myers personality type as I (Guardian-Inspector). Interestingly according to her admission her favorite (and first) American President, Harry Truman (and a favorite of mine as well) also shares this same personality type with Her Majesty and I. Over the years I have collected and read books, articles, etc. and since the Royal Wedding, my admiration for the Queen has only deepened. It is very interesting to me that the admittingly republican argument that I may have made in my previous entry is so vehmently attacked on this forum (not unexpected I might add--it's the ROYAL Forum for a good reason). Yet of the circles I'm in, in the United States, this argument is treated as fact. I'm the only member of my family to get up before 5:30 the morning of the Royal Wedding. At the supposedly Diamond Jubliee celebration I attended this summer, the Queen and the idea of royalty was mocked and derided to such a degree that I left early, deeply upset and angered. (I was perhaps most angered that only I stopped what I was doing and stood to attention at the playing of the National Anthem). You have no idea the amount of derision I get from family members and friends for following and studying the royals as much as I do (which I will admit is principally for relaxation and guilty pleasure, such as others would read Danielle Steel novels). As for William and Catherine, I have no admiration for them because they have yet to actually do much and prove that they are up to being senior royals (their tours of Canada and the Far East aside). I loathe Diana, Princess of Wales for having insisted that her children be treated normally because I believe this has given William a complex of being able to use his royal status when it suits him and ditch it when it does not. He claims he wants to be treated like any other Search and Rescue pilot, yet no other Search and Rescue pilot has armed police guarding them around the clock. No other Search and Rescue pilot is allowed to take the liberties he is. No other Search and Rescue pilot can go to Keningston Palace or ring up the Queen for tea. He's doing (and allowed to be doing) what I call pretending to be normal and it irritates me to no end. He's not normal and never can be. He's His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge, son of the Prince of Wales, grandson of Her Majesty the Queen. He's 30 years old. The Queen was reigning for nearly five years by that age. To me he's acted like he's had Peter Pan syndrome, not wanting to grow up. And frankly despite what people say about the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen wanting to still be very active and involved, they are 91 and 86. My 90 year-old grandmother spends most nights in front of the television, not carrying out 3 or 4 engagements a day. To me, since the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are adults and have by my view, had three or four years after university to muck around doing as they please, it's time for them to become full-time royals. According to what I've read in multiple sources, there are MORE organizations wanting royal patronage, not less, there are MORE requests for royal visits, not less, 80% of the public want to see much more of both the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, yet there are fewer royals to go around. The Duke of Kent carries out far more engagements than either of them and he's just had a stroke. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester carry out more engagements than either of them combined. Princess Alexandra the Honourable Lady Oglivy carries out more engagements than either of them. Yet none of these people have a small legion of police protection officers (I know the Protection Squad say there is no threat, but with the advent of the Internet, ANY relative of the Queen's unfortunately can be at grave risk). If you only read the papers, there would seem to be no other royals BUT the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and yet they actually aren't doing much in the way of engagements, which according to the Queen Mother was how royals earn their keep because they can't earn a living. Even more disconcerting to me is how much attention Pippa Middleton gets, when she's only a relative of a minor member of the Royal Family (yet she evidently warranted public police protection on more than one occasion which I'm not sure she is entitled to by law).
Well anyway I hope you have a clearer idea of why I hold the admittedly contradictory views that I do.
Best regards,
DemocratnMonocole

Perhaps the mods could move this tangent to a more suitable thread? We're getting off the subject of the Queen and would she abdicate. :)

Osipi I am very much aware of all the royals do. Most Americans are not and deride them for it. I know Clarence House belongs to the country (on an unrelated note, of the Prince of Wales' homes, he actually technically only owns Highgrove, as Birkhall, though considered "private" is actually part of Balmoral, and Llwynywermod and Tamarissk are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, not the Prince of Wales himself). I know the Prince of Wales is the hardest working royal, though the Princess Royal's Wikipedia page (and the Duke of Edinburgh's actually) say that she is the hardest working royal (I've tried to alter them several times but some WikiNazi keeps coming along, undoing it and protecting the page). I know the amount of work that the Earl and Countess of Wessex do that is unnoticed. The Duchess of Cambridge steps out to get her hair done and there's a five-minute piece on "TODAY". The Earl and Countess of Wessex successfully started the Commonwealth tour for the Diamond Jubliee (and had a likely exhausting time) and the papers say nothing because they barely know the Earl and Countess exist (which Edward and Sophie actually prefer when it suits them). But it's not like they are policemen or firefighters or school teachers. One of my favorite quotes of the Duke of Edinburgh (because it shows what a cantankerous sod and amusing old boy he is), is when he was touring a factory with the Queen and said "Well it doesn't look as though much work goes on in this factory", which had been closed so he could ceremonially open it! It's making small talk, meeting people around the country and Commonwealth, touring rest homes, schools, universities, reviewing military parades, writing letters, attending dinners, theater openings, etc. Any one can do this. It doesn't require special talent that only the Duke of Edinburgh or the Duchess of Cambridge has to pull a cord to unveil a plaque. If you believe that, I sincerely hope you get a grip. I would carry out three engagements a day, six days a week, for forty-eight weeks if I was in their position. Why? Because listening to someone drone on and on really isn't hard. And being given millions of pounds of taxpayer money is.

Catherine no longer is Kate Middleton. She is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, or Catherine Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor (according to all evidence).

That is something you will have to put up with, forever, or until she becomes Queen Catherine. Camilla is still Camilla Parker Bowles, Diana will always be Princess Diana and Sophie is often referred to as simply Sophie Rhys Jones. The press don't understand the titles and how they work.

To me, since the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are adults and have by my view, had three or four years after university to muck around doing as they please, it's time for them to become full-time royals.

You do realise that to come out with the grades that both Catherine and William did, there was little time to muck around. Even if their chosen degrees were in "easy" subjects.

Princess Alexandra the Honourable Lady Oglivy carries out more engagements than either of them.

As of the 26th March according to the calculations done by another member in this thread. Princess Alexandra has done no engagements this year.

Even more disconcerting to me is how much attention Pippa Middleton gets, when she's only a relative of a minor member of the Royal Family (yet she evidently warranted public police protection on more than one occasion which I'm not sure she is entitled to by law).

She's the sister of the future Queen, a woman who is featured in the newspaper and magazines every single day. She is wife to the second in line to the throne, Catherine is not a minor member of the royal family. Could you please give us a source which confirms that she was given public police protection on more than one occasion?

Catherine and William deserves as much time as they can together, before being plunged in a life of service to a job a wouldn't wish on the devil. I personally believe they should have stayed out of the limelight entirely, or become full time royals from the wedding. The inbetween doesn't satisfy anyone. However they have made their choice, both are now classed as part time royals, and whilst 80% of the people who answered this poll want to see more of them, doesn't mean we're going do when there's no real need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom