Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Golden Jubilee was the real test. Everyone was predicting that no one would turn up but they did. I remember last year when everyone feared William wedding would be hijacked by republicans along the route. :ROFLMAO:

In Jubilee year, royal popularity rating hits 15-year high... which must rankle with the republican paper behind poll
The monarch’s popularity is at its highest for at least 15 years, a poll has found, with affection for the Windsors rising following the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding last year, and ahead of the Jubilee. Sixty-nine per cent believe the country would be worse off without the Royal Family. Only 22 per cent think the opposite, that Britain would be better off without them. The 47-point margin between the two positions is the biggest recorded on any of the 12 occasions pollsters ICM have asked the question since 1997. The results are somewhat ironic given that the poll was commissioned by the traditionally pro-republican Guardian newspaper.

I don't think the BRF are going anywhere. Mind you, when Diana died 15 years ago, I thought they were on their way out, and I thought that the only thing that saved them at the time was the idea that Diana's son would one day sit on the throne.

The support for the monarchy will be even higher when Kate and Will have their first child. That will be huge.

Of course there are those who will never forgive Charles for the past, or Camilla, but I think the fact that there was not much outrage when they married speaks volumes. I think to the average person, life goes on, and I don't think the average person posts on The Daily Mail. AT LEAST I HOPE NOT!!!! :bang::bang:

I remember the vitriol that was being spewed about the Queen and the entire Royal Family after Diana's death. There was basically public hysteria, and frankly, I was wondering if there would be a lynch mob storming Buckingham Palace, or at least assembling in front of it. I was only sixteen, and naively believed what was being said, because I never heard anything different. Now, I see the respect and the love that the public has towards Her Majesty and feel that the monarchy will be around for a while (maybe not for ages and ages, because things change, but at least for the next century or so, it's safe). There will always be people who don't like the idea of a monarchy and will post nasty comments about how these people are parasites, etc., but at the end of the day, these 'parasites' do a great deal of charity work that won't be done otherwise, and like it or not, they do generate tourism. The biggest factor though (at least to me) is tradition, and the monarchy represents that to a tee. It's part of what Great Britain is, and letting it go would be a disaster. The Queen represents this particular nation, and when it's time to stand up for the said nation, people go and fight willingly under the slogan of 'God Save the Queen!'. I have yet to see a country with a republican form of government generate this kind of love towards their president/head of government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I think this is support; although minor.
A tea room in Stanhope, England plays the national anthem every day at 3pm. When three customers did not stand up, they were thrown out.
The tea room only opens to coincide with the Jubilee and will close in August but business has been booming since the 'incident'. The room is decked out in memorabilia and it's a true show of support.

I think it's no coincidence that the most popular show in Britain these days is Downton Abbey. Reading other message boards, I think the British posters are waxing nostalgic over a simpler era, and trying to recapture something, whether that something is elusive or definable. I think this is evident in incidents like the tea room just mentioned.

I have watched some of the Jublilee events on BBC America. I think they are wonderful. I think that the Queen and DOE are thoroughly enjoying themselves, and so are the public. I think that the same can be said of the Royal Wedding. I think that the public is responding with a sense of immense pride.

I love the Queen, on so many levels, and I am glad to see this kind of support for her. She deserves it.;)

You can all take this for whatever you think it's worth.

For the first time the monarchy has been given what would best be described in corporate finance circles as a market capitalisation value by Brand Finance, a brand valuation consultancy firm. It estimates the value of the monarchy to be £44.5 billion.

The Queen gets a £44bn valuation for family 'Firm’ - Telegraph

You can all take this for whatever you think it's worth.

For the first time the monarchy has been given what would best be described in corporate finance circles as a market capitalisation value by Brand Finance, a brand valuation consultancy firm. It estimates the value of the monarchy to be £44.5 billion.

The Queen gets a £44bn valuation for family 'Firm’ - Telegraph

The article is wrong on many levels, but interesting at the same time.
As far as I understand, they have calculated only the "official value" (Crown Jewels + tourist income), but no mention of royal residences (Crown Estates and private), private jewellery and art collections (both pretty much priceless), and other factors. My guess would be a bit above £44.5 billion.

A tea room in Stanhope, England plays the national anthem every day at 3pm. When three customers did not stand up, they were thrown out.
The tea room only opens to coincide with the Jubilee and will close in August but business has been booming since the 'incident'. The room is decked out in memorabilia and it's a true show of support.
Thanks for sharing! However trivial the support may be, it does show the general mood. And good for throwing out the customers who didn't stand up for national anthem; it was disrespectful, and would have been in any country.

Prince Charles Britain's favourite King
Prince Charles tops king list
Give us Chas & Camilla
Calls for the British crown to skip heir-apparent Prince Charles in favour of his son Prince William have lost traction, with a poll showing for the first time in more than a decade that most people in the UK support the planned course of succession. Survey results published by British tabloid The Sun show Charles is the UK's number one choice to take over from his mother as monarch, supported by his wife Camilla as queen. More than the 1000 polled were asked about their preference for the future sovereign and 51% supported Charles' crowning ahead of 40% who favoured William and nine per cent who indicated either "Don't know" or "Indifferent".
I, for one, am really glad for these results.

Last edited:
It's about freakin time! Charles deserves so much more respect than he is given. He is so intelligent that I would willingly take a college course that he was teaching.

It's about freakin time! Charles deserves so much more respect than he is given. He is so intelligent that I would willingly take a college course that he was teaching.

Really, what course? He is, certainly, not stupid, but, by no stretch of the imagination is he any kind of genius. He could teach farming, to some extent, but I don't think he gets into the real part that farmers have to. Please, don't mention architetcure, as he is an armchair quarterback and dispised in many architectural circles.

I like Charles myself, and admire his efforts with sustainable farming. I think he'll make a good king. Life goes on, and he has raised two fine sons.

Really, what course? He is, certainly, not stupid, but, by no stretch of the imagination is he any kind of genius. He could teach farming, to some extent, but I don't think he gets into the real part that farmers have to. Please, don't mention architetcure, as he is an armchair quarterback and dispised in many architectural circles.

Not so. The man is extremely intelligent, well spoken and insightful, with a fairly in-depth and comprehensive life experience in many areas. I'm not sure what your definition of genius is, but Charles has proved to be a cutting-edge thinker, able to synthesize varying points of view and implement advanced ideas in all his business ventures. He is a wealthy man in his own right because of his savvy, because of his intelligence. Anyone having anything to do with any of his Prince's Trust initiatives quickly respects Charles' foresight and diligence.

As for architecture - he is despised (if he is) by those who found their money-making plans stymied. His points regarding a community having a right to have input rather than just monied interests making the decisions was a courageous stand to take - and needed to be said. He's far from an armchair quarterback as his Poundbury - and other planned communities - in the Duchy of Cornwall illustrate.

Charles is an individual that the more you learn about him the more you respect him. He is a man who has really done something with his life - when because of his position he could have easily have had a far less rigorous private life of work.

I agree with XeniaCasaraghi - I have thought that Charles (and Camilla) would be fascinating dinner partners for an afternoon and I would definitely come to any seminar he would teach - especially one that would expand on his book 'Harmony'. In fact, is there any reason that Charles could not teach at - say - Cambridge - as the heir, or even as the King? That would be cutting edge!

Last edited:
Well thanx for all that info Tyger, I know the general broader scope of his work and intelligence but not so much the details. I just know when he speaks I can't help to listen and some of his ideas were crazy back in the day but make sense now.

Thanks for sharing! However trivial the support may be, it does show the general mood. And good for throwing out the customers who didn't stand up for national anthem; it was disrespectful, and would have been in any country.

I would hope that they sue - why - because they have the right to express their opinion and being told to leave because they won't stand up for a piece of music is silly.

They could, for all we know, be Jehovah's Witnesses in which case they are being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs - JW's don't acknowledge any national anthem and don't stand for any - here are excused from attending any school function, compulsory for all other students, at which the national anthem is played.

Well thanx for all that info Tyger, I know the general broader scope of his work and intelligence but not so much the details. I just know when he speaks I can't help to listen and some of his ideas were crazy back in the day but make sense now.

His ideas were cutting edge - not crazy. He was very much part of his generation - bringing different perspectives on food, food production, what we eat and how we eat it, conservation and intentional communities - trends begun several decades ago by a whole raft of young people - of which Charles was a part, albeit not 'consciously' or deliberately - that have changed the culture.

For some reason - though its likely rooted in entrenched economic interests antagonistic to changing things in ways that will cost them their profit margin - the British press always found Charles an easy mark. I've wondered about that. Was it because he was Royalty and was 'suppose to be' thick-as-a-plank?

What's unique about Charles is that he is far more substantially in the forward movement of the culture than the superficial eye would have it. Not many Royals are that.

so basically 49% of people from that poll wanted someone other then Charles to become king when the queen dies that's not a great vote of confidence.

i personally am worried for the monarchy and its support when the Queen dies. Charles from many accounts is a meddler esp on the political side. its all fine and well for him to do it now. but its not going to fly when if he becomes king

from many accounts is a meddler esp on the political side

Could you give details? I am not aware that Charles has ever 'meddled' politically, regardless of what the Daily Mail tries to insinuate.

doric44 said:
so basically 49% of people from that poll wanted someone other then Charles to become king when the queen dies that's not a great vote of confidence.

i personally am worried for the monarchy and its support when the Queen dies. Charles from many accounts is a meddler esp on the political side. its all fine and well for him to do it now. but its not going to fly when if he becomes king

I have read many times that the Prince is aware that once he becomes King he will be curtailed in expressing an opinion by his constitutional position.

Charles is too intelligent not to recognise the difference between what he is able to do and say as Prince of Wales and what he will be able to do as king.

Could you give details? I am not aware that Charles has ever 'meddled' politically, regardless of what the Daily Mail tries to insinuate.

I know that I have read that he does write countless letters and attempts to contact political figures on issues with which he feels strongly. Not sure where I read it, but the Daily Mail is not generally on my reading list....;)

I'm with you on Charles and Camilla - they would make great dinner party guests. Charles has been much aligned, but I think he's made great contributions and will make a great king.

VictoriaB said:
I have read many times that the Prince is aware that once he becomes King he will be curtailed in expressing an opinion by his constitutional position.

Charles is too intelligent not to recognise the difference between what he is able to do and say as Prince of Wales and what he will be able to do as king.

He has been meddling for years and he is in his 60s and set in his ways. when he becomes king I highly doubt he will stop "suggesting things" to ministers in government.
which is could very easily cause a crisis and damage the support and popularity of the monarchy

This is a lovely gesture, and shows a great deal of patriotism. As for those who refused to stand up for the national anthem, I'm in agreement with the owner; if you don't want to respect the nation, please get out. This tea room appears to be all about patriotism and support for the monarchy, and the national anthem is not named 'God Save the Queen' for the heck of it.

Hear, hear! I'm glad to see the Prince of Wales get the respect and recognition he deserves. He's a very intelligent man, who has ideas that at one point were ahead of the times, but are now proving to be quite effective. With the help of The Prince's Trust, people that would not have been able to achieve their goals are able to do so. It takes a man with a very big heart and a ton of compassion (not to mention determination and self-awareness) to go down this path, even when the majority of the public choose to mock him.

You and me both. He appears to be a very cultured, and intelligent individual, who is a big supporter of the arts. I heard him recite a poem by Robert Burns (the link was posted by The British Monarchy page on facebook in January), and I was impressed with his ability to read poetry. The man definitely knows how to deliver speeches (and believe me, reading poetry is one of the hardest things)

Not so. The man is extremely intelligent, well spoken and insightful, with a fairly in-depth and comprehensive life experience in many areas. I'm not sure what your definition of genius is, but Charles has proved to be a cutting-edge thinker, able to synthesize varying points of view and implement advanced ideas in all his business ventures. He is a wealthy man in his own right because of his savvy, because of his intelligence. Anyone having anything to do with any of his Prince's Trust initiatives quickly respects Charles' foresight and diligence.

As for architecture - he is despised (if he is) by those who found their money-making plans stymied. His points regarding a community having a right to have input rather than just monied interests making the decisions was a courageous stand to take - and needed to be said. He's far from an armchair quarterback as his Poundbury - and other planned communities - in the Duchy of Cornwall illustrate.

Charles is an individual that the more you learn about him the more you respect him. He is a man who has really done something with his life - when because of his position he could have easily have had a far less rigorous private life of work.

I agree with XeniaCasaraghi - I have thought that Charles (and Camilla) would be fascinating dinner partners for an afternoon and I would definitely come to any seminar he would teach - especially one that would expand on his book 'Harmony'. In fact, is there any reason that Charles could not teach at - say - Cambridge - as the heir, or even as the King? That would be cutting edge!

Tyger, thank you so much for giving such details on His Highness's work and ideas. He'd be one heck of a professor and dinner host (his wife as well, though I'd like to see her teach a reading class to little ones, since she's so passionate about literacy). I think a dinner or tea with both of them would be a treat for anyone who enjoys intelligent conversation.

doric44 said:
He has been meddling for years and he is in his 60s and set in his ways. when he becomes king I highly doubt he will stop "suggesting things" to ministers in government.
which is could very easily cause a crisis and damage the support and popularity of the monarchy

Well we'll have to see what happens when he does become King because regardless of opinion polls, provided Charles outlives the Queen he will become King. Personally, I can't see any reason why he won't make a very good one nor Camilla a very good Queen Consort.

I suspect the majority of those who don't want him to become King are basing their opinions less on any perceived meddling and more on other factors.

None of this so called meddling can actually be proven and most articles on the subject come out of the Daily Mail where sources speak to sources who in the end have no connection to royalty and just want to be paid for their fifteen minutes in the a newspaper.

I don't see how this "rumour" could lead the monarchy into crisis and damage support, because according to you he's been doing it for 60 years and the approval ratings have gone up.

Personally, when Charles becomes king, I hope his influence and meddling continue ever more forcefully - goodness knows the people of this country need someone at a high level with some common sense.

Whatever anyone thinks of Charles personally, he has improved the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions of his fellow countrymen and women. The Prince's Trust alone has been hugely successful in helping disadvantaged young people get into employment, education or training. He's probably the most accomplished Prince of Wales ever.

Whatever anyone thinks of Charles personally, he has improved the lives of hundreds of thousands if not millions of his fellow countrymen and women. The Prince's Trust alone has been hugely successful in helping disadvantaged young people get into employment, education or training. He's probably the most accomplished Prince of Wales ever.
Amen to that.

Isn't the Prince's Trust one of the most successful charities in the United Kingdom? And if I'm not mistaken, Prince Charles donates quite a large chunk of his income (and I mean private income) to charities every year. He has done a great deal and I fully agree that Prince Charles is quite possibly the most accomplished Prince of Wales in history; in fact, he more or less re-defined the position.

It is a very successful charity. It's for this reason that some of the accusations of Charles's 'interference' in the political sphere have come up. The PT is doing what the state pretty much fails to do. It has a much higher success rate in terms of getting unemployed young people, or people who have been in trouble with the law, into a job or on a training course which helps them get a job, or helping them set up in business etc. etc. Charles keeps in contact with the relevant ministers because he feels that the PT could help the government tackle this problem if they work together.

He believes that the lessons the PT has learned could be used by the relevant state bodies to tackle this enormous problem in a much more effective and efficient way. The difficulty is that the government machine is so cumbersome that any and every change takes such a long time. Also, in the middle of it all the minister involved will get into some scandal or another and lose their job and the whole process has to start again.

Charles's charities raise well over £100 million for charity every year. The overall group of Charles's charities - The Prince's Charities - is the biggest of its kind in the UK.

Thanks for the information. :)
I feel that Prince Charles is right; if his charity succeeds where official government plans do not, then surely it's a common sense for them to learn a lesson or two?

Edit- Looks like the Government may actually benefit from The Prince's Trust example after all. Today, David Cameron visited the Prince's Trust headquarters, talking to the staff and those who have benefited from the Trust. The visit was part of the government's launch of StartUp loans initiative and publication of Lord Young's report on enterprise. Under the new scheme, people aged between 18 and 24, who show that they have a strong business plan, will be able to gain loans worth on average 2,500 GBP.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of this so called meddling can actually be proven and most articles on the subject come out of the Daily Mail where sources speak to sources who in the end have no connection to royalty and just want to be paid for their fifteen minutes in the a newspaper.

I don't see how this "rumour" could lead the monarchy into crisis and damage support, because according to you he's been doing it for 60 years and the approval ratings have gone up.

sorry but i don't think you know what you're talking about its not "rumor" its fact . numerous papers detailing through the freedom of information act his meddling in politics even Channel 4 documentary on YouTube detailing his attempts at influencing policy called the "meddling prince" The Meddling prince: part 1/5 - YouTube

Prince Charles faces fresh meddling claim over letters to ministers | UK news | The Guardian
Prince Charles's 'meddling': a royal right, or a privilege too far? | UK news | The Guardian
Prince Charles accused of ‘meddling in government affairs’ - Telegraph
Prince Charles accused of meddling after summoning 7 senior Ministers to Clarence House in 10 months | Mail Online

i dont care how much good Charles's charities do. what concerns me as someone who supports the monarchy and the Commonwealth that he is overstepping his bounds. and that it will continue when he becomes king and could hurt the monarchy and damage its popularity even create a political crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom