Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry isn't at all irrelevant, especially to the younger generation. He's very popular. Margaret and Andrew aren't comparable examples of 'irrelevance' to him as the Queen had four children who undertook royal duties, pushing Margaret to the background. Andrew was one of four, not one of two siblings, as Harry is.

With a new slim line monarchy and the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh gone, the new royal family would consist of the King and Queen, both elderly, and William and Kate (Prince and Princess of Wales) undertaking many hundreds of royal engagements a year each, even with obligations pared to the bone.

I can't see Charles or William insisting on Harry quitting royal life (at least while George and sibling are under 25) if only for strictly practical reasons! It would be interesting to see William and Kate, with a young family) undertaking 500 or more engagements a year each.

Harry has already said that he wants a full career in the army - that means 25 years - or around another 15 - 20 years before he retires - so he won't be a full time royal until then by which time he will be totally in Andrew's position.

Andrew was 2nd in line to the throne until he was over 22. Harry has never been that high in the line of succession and very soon will be down to 4th - the position Andrew had from 1984 until 2013. Harry is already in his 30s and has another 20 or so years in the army ahead of him if he gets his way and is any good in his job and thus will get promotions at certain levels.

He will be increasingly irrelevant - just as Margaret - again 2nd in line for many years before being pushed down by the Queen's children - and again Andrew became.

Margaret and Andrew were also extremely popular with the younger generation but they were replaced in the nation's affections as the new generation of direct line became more visible and more to the fore.

I think William and Kate should be doing around 200 - 300 engagements now and up it to 500 - 700 within 5 years rather than hiding out while allowing the elderly royals - those over retirement age, including Charles and Camilla, to start to take it easy.

Support for the Monarchy in the UK

Margaret and Andrew were not irrelevant at times either. Margaret was super popular as a young woman in the 50s and 60s. The same with Andrew as the dashing handsome Falklands hero of the early 80s but they both got pushed to side as the next generation came up. The same thing will probably happen to Harry. 25 years from now, people will be focusing on George and his siblings.

Harry is 4th in line now moving to 5th when the baby comes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
As far as reducing the working royals. Who would make that decision ? Could it just happen by the Queen (or King ) wanting to do it or it something the government would decide and would have to be voted on.
I'm talking of a major change that would cause a lot of charities to be without a royal patron etc

As far as reducing the working royals. Who would make that decision ? Could it just happen by the Queen (or King ) wanting to do it or it something the government would decide and would have to be voted on.
I'm talking of a major change that would cause a lot of charities to be without a royal patron etc

It's the monarch. It is he / she who covers the expenses of the members of the royal family.

Thank you. Well then it really doesn't matter what the poll says.

From Opinium Research

In a major snub for the senior royal, only 25% said they preferred him to be the next monarch compared with 53% for popular Wills.

The poll also found more than half of Brits believe getting rid of the Royal Family would be bad for the nation, with 64% wanting the monarchy to stay.

William, 33, also came out on top of the most popular royals, with 44%, ahead of his brother Prince Harry, his granny the Queen and his wife Kate.
Read more: The English people have spoken: We want Will as King | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star

^^^ Which is about par for the course. The poll is weighted and there is a margin of error.

Nothing really surprising. William has always been popular and for most of his adult life opinion polls have showed people would prefer him as their next king.

Its not a popularity contest though

Last edited:
^^^ Which is about par for the course. The poll is weighted and there is a margin of error.

Nothing really surprising. William has always been popular and for most of his adult life opinion polls have showed people would prefer him as their next king.

Its not a popularity contest though

Polls are polls, they can say one thing, and the next year the other.

Give us Chas & Camilla Exclusive Sun poll reveals majority now want Charles and his wife on the throne

The Sun

Again, the British Monarchy is not a Miss UK beauty pageant ; so these polls are quite nonsense.

The Daily Star has a miniscule readership for a 'red top'.. [although 'reading' is hardly necessary for people who take it, since it is mostly pictures].

Nothing it produces has an influence or relevance to the wider public.

From Opinium Research

After 63 years and seven months on the throne, her popularity remains steadfast, with 71 per cent of British adults satisfied with how she conducts her duties, an opinion poll found yesterday.

The 89-year-old monarch, who is due to overtake Queen Victoria as the longest reigning monarch on Wednesday, heads an institution that most Britons think plays a valuable role, according to the poll by Opinium Research.

William, 33, is the Royal Family’s most popular member with 44 per cent backing, compared with 39 per cent for Prince Harry and 37 per cent for the Queen.

Kate, 33, is next in popularity with 32 per cent support and Prince Andrew’s daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie, were the least popular.

James Endersby, managing director of Opinium Research, said: “The Queen has always put her duty as ruler first, which probably explains why the majority of the British public have such positive feelings towards her.”
Read more: Queen has support from three quarters of nation as she becomes longest serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express

William and Katherine are the most popular because they are young (ish) good looking (ish) and have a cute young family.In 20 years time when he is in his 50s William will probably be the least popular member of the family while George and Charlotte will be the most popular. This is what happens in the cult of the young.

Well, only begin at the top of this forum page, #13, and read down: then it is "We Want Wills!", then it is "We what Charles and Camilla!" and now again "Three quarters supports the Queen!". Three total different outcomes, three total different polls.

The latest UK General Elections are enough that pollsters, all of them separately and combined, can have it wrong, very wrong... So I congratulate Her Majesty with the fact that the Good Lord has given her a long life -that is actually what it is- and for the rest take all of these polls as they are: paper-fill.

“However it is interesting to note there is a need for the Royal Family to take a more modern outlook, which is indicated in the support for William, who represents a more relatable generation of royals” - James Endersby, from Opinium Research

Some of the more interesting things to come out of the poll.

Many people want to see future generations of the Royal Family try to connect more with the public.

A total of 42 per cent think the sovereign needs to be more progressive. More than half (56 per cent) consider the monarchy to be an elitist institution and a quarter (26 per cent) say the next monarch should be much younger.

More than twice as many people (53 per cent) think Prince William should be the next monarch than those who opt for Prince Charles (25 per cent).
Queen has support from three quarters of nation as she becomes longest serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express

Her Majesty has an Edwardian Court that maybe beginning to show some signs of being out of touch. Although the Queen herself is still immensely popular.

I think Charles will implement many changes when he is king. He is quite modern in his own way although many still see him as being more tied to the Queen's generation than to William and Harry's.

I think its natural that after so many decades of one monarch people are looking to the future and what it will bring.

Last edited:
HMQs Court isn't remotely Edwardian !

No levees, no presentation at Court, no Court dress, and a vastly slimmed down Household.

Queen of Queens . . . and of the Kings too | The Sunday Times
ON THE eve of becoming the country’s longest-reigning monarch, the Queen has also been voted the greatest, ahead of Elizabeth I and Victoria.

A YouGov poll for The Sunday Times has given her a resounding lead, at 27%, more than the combined score of the Virgin Queen, on 13%, and Victoria, the Queen’s great-great-grandmother, on 12%.

This poll really doesn't surprise me much as the people who participated in the poll were voting for their real live flesh and blood and beloved monarch who most likely is the only monarch they really "know" outside of the history books.

Each one of the three Queen Regnants put their own special marks and meanings to their own eras. Speaks volumes for the British monarchy though if you ask me. :flowers:

Queen Set To Become Longest-Serving Monarch
The results from Sky Data found that 70% of people think Britain should remain a monarchy forever, with 61% saying they did not think the monarchy was a waste of money.

Some 58% also said they trusted the Queen more than most politicians. Some 1,117 Sky customers were questioned with data weighted to match the profile of the UK population.

HMQs Court isn't remotely Edwardian !

No levees, no presentation at Court, no Court dress, and a vastly slimmed down Household.

I was struck by this reference to "Edwardian Court" because the I think the royal household is vastly different now to what it would have been in the Edwardian era.

Another phrase that is often used is that the Monarchy is an "elitist institution". In a technical sense, yes of-course it could be deemed to be elitist because the role of being the monarch is not open to everyone (and how many other institutions exist like that!?).
However, in real terms, the monarch and the institution exists for the benefit of the nation and the country as a whole rather than for itself. And where there exists something that is of national importance, such as the human personification and symbol of the State and the representative of the nation, you want it to be the very best it can possibly be!

On the matter of connecting with the people, it is difficult to see how this can be achieved more so than it is already doing. I guess it relates to personality, visibility etc.

Sky News @SkyNews
The monarchy remains as popular as ever, according to a Sky poll #longestreign

A comprehensive majority of Britons have been in favour of retaining the monarchy whenever it has been polled, although it has grown even more popular in recent years following the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

And almost 75% of Britons now say the monarchy is integral to British culture.

Sky's political analyst Harry Carr said: "Even following her notorious 'annus horribilis' and her fraught relationship with Princess Diana, the Queen herself and the monarchy in general have remained ever popular.

"As we look back in history in celebrating the Queen's landmark as Britain's longest-serving monarch, these findings show the overwhelming popularity of retaining the monarchy not only now, but in perpetuity.

"And with a popular new generation of royals coming to the fore in Princes William and Harry, the monarchy does appear to be in safe hands."
Read more: Sky Data: Most Britons Want To Retain Monarchy

Last edited:
In, no doubt the interest of balance, The BBC interviewed a member of I believe ' Republic ' today.

Monarchy popular as ever ahead of Queen’s 90th Birthday celebrations

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...ead-of-Queens-90th-Birthday-celebrations.aspx

I have seen most polls on the monarchy and this is one of the highest I've seen. And finally a poll from Ipsos MORI - the first since 2013. I'm surprised that the numbers are so high, especially after the sex stories about Andrew, Nazi pictures in the Sun, EU thing in the Sun, William/Kate hate in the media etc.

The Monarchy remains as popular as ever, and opposition to the Queen retiring has risen substantially since the turn of the century, a survey by Ipsos MORI for King's College London has found ahead of the Queen’s 90th birthday on Thursday (21 April).

The telephone survey of 1,001 British adults finds support for keeping the Monarchy remains at the same high level as in the past (76% favour Britain remaining a Monarchy compared to 17% preferring a republic). Three-quarters of the public (75%) say they think the Monarchy has an important role to play in the future of Britain, a slight increase since polls conducted at the end of the 20th century, when the figure was between 67% and 70%.
Monarchy/Republic:
Would you favour Britain becoming a republic or remaining a monarchy?

2016: Monarchy: 76% Republic: 17% Dont Know: 7% - one of the best polls I've seen.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2016:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...s-Monarchy-v-Republic-19932013.aspx?view=wide

King/Queen or elected President:
Do you think Britain should continue to have a King or Queen as our head of state, or should we have an elected President?

2016: King or Queen: 86% Elected president: 12% Don't know 2% - the highest number I've seen on the royal family.

Future of the Monarchy:
Q Do you think the monarchy does or does not have an important role to play in the future of Britain?

2016 Does: 75% Does Not: 20% Don't know: 4% - the highest number I've seen.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Role of the Monarchy in Britain's Future 1998-2000:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...he-Monarchy-in-Britains-Future.aspx?view=wide

Abdication:
Most of the public do not think the Queen should retire, even though she turns 90 this year. Of those who were asked simply whether they thought the Queen should abdicate at some stage or should remain Queen as long as possible, only one in five (21%) thought she should ever give up the throne, while more than two-thirds (70%) thought she should remain Queen. Support for the idea of her stepping down has fallen substantially since the question was asked in 2001 when a third, 34%, said she should do so.
Do you think that the Queen should abdicate at some stage, or should she remain Queen as long as possible?

2016: Remain Queen: 70% Abdicate: 21% Don't know: 9% - the highest number I've seen for the Queen to remain on the throne.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Should the Queen abdicate at some stage 1981-2001:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...e-Queen-abdicate-at-some-stage.aspx?view=wide

Support for the Queen retiring is a little higher when some reasons why she might do so are put forward. Half of the participants were asked a different question, which reminded them that the Queen is 90, that Prince Charles has waited longer than any other heir to the throne in British history, and that other European monarchs have recently retired when they reached old age. With this prompting, one in three (32%) said they thought the Queen should retire at some stage, although almost twice as many, 61%, said she should remain Queen for life.

If people had known the facts - then I think even more people would say she should remain monarch for life.

See this post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ession-to-the-throne-5254-10.html#post1851254

Charles God/Bad King:
Three Britons in five (60%) think that Prince Charles will make a good king when he does come to the throne, while 22% think he will make a bad king; 18% said they didn’t know. The public’s view of Prince Charles has improved significantly since ten years ago, when only 52% thought he would make a good king and 28% a bad one. However, he still falls short of the levels of approval that he achieved at the start of the 1990s, before the public break-up of his marriage to Diana, Princess of Wales. In June 1991, 82% said that they thought that Prince Charles would make a good king, and just 5% that he would make a bad one.
Do you think that Prince Charles will make a good king or a bad king when he comes to the throne in future?

2016: God King 60% Bad King 22% Don't know 18% - Good numbers for Charles and up from 2006.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Prince Charles as King1991-2006:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...-Trends-Prince-Charles-as-King.aspx?view=wide

Roger Mortimore, Professor of Public Opinion in the Institute of Contemporary British History at King’s, said:
“The Queen is our longest ever reigning Monarch, and the public are clear that they want her reign to continue. She has succeeded in keeping the institution popular, and most people now think the Monarchy will still have an important role in Britain’s future. Moreover, the public are increasingly confident that Prince Charles will make a good king when the time comes. The outlook for the Monarchy looks bright.”

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with the Queen 1992-2012

No new polls, but these figures are very high even in the 1990s:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...ds-Satisfaction-with-the-Queen.aspx?view=wide

Last edited:
It's to be expected. In events as big as this you really see a strong amount of unity amongst the English. I'm not strictly a royalist, but I tend to worry that if the monarchy ended there wouldn't be that one element that the English could gravitate towards that represented the whole nation instead of any one particular party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom