The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryr0249 View Post

As Americans, we are guaranteed the right to be monarchists, anarchists, communists or anything else in that these words mean belief in a form of government. Unless we actively pursue an overthrow of our government, our beliefs do not preclude allegiance to the nation in which we hold citizenship. It's true that at various times in history it has been more or less life threatening to claim one of the above labels. We're all a work in progress.
I disagree but that's what's great about living in a free country where we can all express our opinions and not being risk to be killed or jailed. . All I was trying to say is that we don't live in a country based on a monarchy so I don't think it is correct to say that we are Monarchist just because we admire the royal family. There seems to be a better term out there.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I disagree but that's what's great about living in a free country where we can all express our opinions and not being risk to be killed or jailed. . All I was trying to say is that we don't live in a country based on a monarchy so I don't think it is correct to say that we are Monarchist just because we admire the royal family. There seems to be a better term out there.
I must have misunderstood your post. Of course admiring the royal family doesn't mean a person is a monarchist.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
But don't you think that at some point the system has to do you guys live says that much longer than they used?
I see no reason to change a system that has worked well for centuries.

There has been one king who needed a regency due to mental infirmity and one due to a minor monarch since 1485.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Courtier

I said this a while back about the Future of the English/British Monarchy: First:
I like Prince Charles. I have always like him but I have came to like him more over the last few years especially during the Diamond Jubilee last Year. I like the Documentary (Family Videos) he did and the Tribute he paid to his Mother at the Jubilee concert you could tell that Queen Elizabeth got a little emotions (genuinely moved) but she held back. You could tell he love his mother and that there is special bond there. I think Charles will make a Good King and will do a Good Job, his private life (The Diana/Camilla thing) should not get in the way of it or should not stop him. He is not the first King and will not be the last to have affairs and make mistakes before they came to the throne or after acceding. There are King who did much worst things then Charles ever did! I am not trying to open up another can of worms but Diana had her faults as well and cheated also let not forget (Diana was nice person but I never understood why some made her out to be some saint). obviously they both had their faults but Some peoples need to move on and let it be history. Camilla seem like a decent person to me. I have came to soften up to her more but not totally. I think Charles will make a fine King when it his time. . Charles is most trained Ready King you could have in my opinion. He has had his whole life to prepare. Whether peoples like it or not Charles will be King when The Queen dies even if he is 64 or 77 or even if He is only King for 1 years or 20 years. it won't matter because Charles is next in line not William And the first in Line to the throne to succeeds.

Anyway I think The British Monarchy will last for a long time. Charles will do a Good Job and William will be Popular. The British Monarchy in times of Controversy and Scandals always recovers and it image is never completely damaged or tarnished. It popularity may have dipped a bit at times but it always remains high and it recovers Eventually Like it did in the 1871 with scandals and Controversy's surrounding Edward VIII and as well as the fact there was a Republican Movement going on also Victoria became Unpopular because she had been in seclusions for years and would not be seen in public and refuse to come out if isolation, the British monarchy was unpopular during the late 1860s and 1870s. eventually after she was forced to come out into the public and The Movement died down Eventually she became very popular again after Edward almost died and Victoria had a Assassination attempt (She had been ill that year as well) and they were seen together in a parade through London in February 1872 and the movement died, The British Monarchy became popular again and Public opinion of Victoria and Edward approved. Victoria Golden Jubilee brought her out of her shell and she enjoyed Public Life again. Victoria was at her most popular during the last ten years of her reign.

That is lot like in the 1980s and 1990s with all the Scandals, Controversy, affairs, Divorces going on, The popularity and image did fall and they were criticzise but not like it did in the 1860s and 1870s and no serious movement happened. Eventually The monarchy and ( Elizabeth) again improved in image in popularity and survived, the Popularity of the Monarchy has never fallen below 60% in the last 70 Years and today it still very Popular(Now above 80%) ) with lot of Support for it. Elizabeth is now more Popular then she has ever been during her reign (Much like Victoria was at the end of her rein) Charles Image has been improved. The British Monarchy is now Very Popular with strong supports and also stable again after the 1990s. The monarchy was the closet at being abolished in the 1870s then the two Centuries before or the Century that followed, Now it's had more support a d is more popular then it ever been.

It would really take a Huge Scandal or a Massive Controversy or embarrassment to really knock down the British Monarchy and abolish it! The British Monarchy is still the Most Popular and famous Royal Family in Europe and in the World. It will be the last one standing of all the current Royal Families in the world( And Europe) and the last one to ever fall!
Remember they already abolished the Monarchy once in 1649 when Charles I was beheaded but was restored 11 Years later in 1660 with His Son Charles I
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

It looks like you made some interesting points, but I can't bring myself to read the whole post because of the horrible font. Just a friendly suggestion that you might want to pick something more readable, like the default font here.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Courtier

Sorry about that. I wrote it Down on my Ipad notepad then pasted it on here.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

BritishRoyalist's post is actually coming up on my laptop in a font which is slightly bigger than the norm. No problem reading it.

I agree that it would take some sort of major scandal or controversy to bring down the monarchy at this point. Not about private lives, but some sort of corruption or serious misuse of the monarch's powers or of public money.

What all the royal families have working for them at the moment is the extent to which politicians, and the political system generally, have lost the trust and respect of the people. It's quite frightening in the UK how cynical and distrusting we have become of politicians of every hue. Some support the monarchy for the simple fact that it prevents such politicians from ascending to the highest position in the land.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the United States (i.e. Presidential security, the US and the Commonwealth, etc.) have been deleted as off topic. This includes posts about who is and who is not a member of the British Royal Family.

Let's get back on topic...support for the monarchy in the United Kingdom. Key word...United Kingdom.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Courtier

I was just wondering about this., At what point in History was the Support and Popularity of The British Monarch at it lowest ever? Was it in the late 1860s-1870s during Victoria Reign that the Popularity of the Monarchy was at it lowest ever?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, suspect, and many not want to say this, after Diana died. It does seem trivial, but they are hypocrites, so many divorces, yet Wallis Simpson was "that woman" Camilla is "that woman", too. The system seems to work and if you are happy, why change it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I was just wondering about this., At what point in History was the Support and Popularity of The British Monarch at it lowest ever? Was it in the late 1860s-1870s during Victoria Reign that the Popularity of the Monarchy was at it lowest ever?
Tricky question because views will vary from the time of absolute monarchy, through changes to the parliamentary democracy to constitutional monarchy.

I think one of the all time lows was during the last 30 years of George III's reign when the King was mad; lost America; Prince Regent and all of his brothers were ridiculed and despised and people worried about about the future of the monarchy. They were thought debauched with many children born out of wedlock (different times). Victoria was seen as a breath of fresh air in when she came to the throne.

Of course the Catholic majority at the time of the Reformation were not pro-Henry VIII.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would argue that support for the monarchy may have been at an all-time low at the end of the reign of Charles I.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Courtier

I think you might be right about George III, I never thought about that. Also from what I read Britons were pretty fed up with his sons as well (extravagance lifestyles, High Debt, Infidelities, etc) Victoria was really a breath fresh air compared to her uncles and the end of her Grandfather Reign. She was Very popular unlike her uncles. I read George III was popular but then eventually became pretty unpopular
Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I would argue that support for the monarchy may have been at an all-time low at the end of the reign of Charles I.
That is true! Charles I is the only Monarch to cause the Monarchy to be abolished.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Majesty

I would have to agree Ish - 1640s which resulted in the overthrow and execution of the monarch.

Next the late 1860s-early 1870s when Victoria was absent and Albert Edward was involved in the divorce scandal.

Then the late period of George III - his sons not married and rather dissolute but that was offset by the victory against Napoleon and although George himself wasn't in charge by that time Prinny was rather popular as a result and a royal wedding and expected heir to boot.

The week after Diana's death was the lowest in the 20th C I think with real threats to the safety of the family that week.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Nobility

I would agree that the end of the reign of Charles I would have to have been the lowest point simply because opinion can be measured after a fashion. Any other period it's difficult to say because methods of measuring public opinion have changed so much and I dare say the class/es of people whose opinions would be considered would also have changed over the years. We have a much better idea of the popularity of the family or individuals now simply because of the sophistication of opinion polls and the steps taken to try to make them truly representative (if they wish to be seen as a reputable poll).

On the subject of the Hanovers though, when I was a child I had a book on the Kings and Queens of the UK and to illustrate the unpopularity of the Georges it repeated a (supposedly) popular rhyme that did the rounds of the time.

I sing in praise of Georges four
For providence could stand no more.
Some say that far the worst
of all was George the First.
But yet by some tis reckoned
worse still was George the Second.
And what mortal ever heard
any good of George the Third.
When George the Fourth from earth descended
Thank God the line of Georges ended.

How reliable the book/quote was I have no idea.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Nobility

Would now be a good time to have a referendum on whether to keep the monarchy or not?

While Liz is on the throne the outcome would likely be a majority yes vote, but if Charles in king when a referendum is held, the monarchy may be less popular.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

No - there will never be a referendum on this subject within the next 50 years IMO.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
No - there will never be a referendum on this subject within the next 50 years IMO.
The popularity of the monarchy will no doubt drop when the Queen has passed, I was thinking a referendum now (with an almost guaranteed high yes vote) would help silence any criticism of the institution in the coming years.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Would now be a good time to have a referendum on whether to keep the monarchy or not?

While Liz is on the throne the outcome would likely be a majority yes vote, but if Charles in king when a referendum is held, the monarchy may be less popular.
No there is no need for it. The monarchy is a safe as houses. Oh by the way her name is not Liz it's Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.