The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was most impressed at Anne being above Charles in terms of popularity and how little her negative scores are compared to many other royals.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree it was strange not to see Camilla mentioned - even if they were doing that based on the fact she married into the family, they'd then have to leave Catherine, Meghan, etc out of the poll and that wouldn't give the most accurate results.

Nice to see Anne has had a popularity boost too, especially since she's one of the lesser known of HM's children to the general public.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I was most impressed at Anne being above Charles in terms of popularity and how little her negative scores are compared to many other royals.
If you add up the two positive scores - positive and quite positive they are both on 44% three above Meghan with only Edward and Andrew lower than these three. In other words Charles and Anne are equally the fourth least popular.

If the Queen looks at these figures I am sure she would be disappointed that four of the least five members of the family are her children.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Gentry

Princess Anne is very widely respected for all her charity work. So is the Countess of Wessex, who is very popular and never causes any trouble. The only person who's really out of favour at the moment is Prince Andrew, because of all the Jeffrey Epstein stuff.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Added prince Philip and simplified it to positive vs negative:

Based on positive
  1. HM The Queen - 73% positive / 10% negative
  2. William - 71% positive / 9% negative
  3. Catherine - 66% positive / 9% negative
  4. Harry - 57% positive / 18% negative
  5. Anne - 44% positive / 12% negative
  6. Charles - 44% positive / 22% negative
  7. Meghan - 41% positive / 29% negative
  8. Philip - 40% positive / 24% negative
  9. Edward - 22% positive / 21% negative
  10. Andrew - 16% positive / 47% negative

Based on negative (with most negative at the end)
  1. William - 71% positive / 9% negative
  2. Catherine - 66% positive / 9% negative
  3. HM The Queen - 73% positive / 10% negative
  4. Anne - 44% positive / 12% negative
  5. Harry - 57% positive / 18% negative
  6. Edward - 22% positive / 21% negative
  7. Charles - 44% positive / 22% negative
  9. Meghan - 41% positive / 29% negative

How could they forget about Camilla? And Sophie should have been included as well. Although I expect she would have a relatively high number of 'in between' or 'I don't know's, just like her husband.

And it's clear that the queen, William and Catherine are in their own league with 65% + positive and 10% or less negative. And Andrew is in his own league as well on the other end.
Made one more list: positive - negative. You could look at it as their approval rating.
  1. HM The Queen - 73% positive / 10% negative = 63
  2. William - 71% positive / 9% negative = 62
  3. Catherine - 66% positive / 9% negative = 57
  4. Harry - 57% positive / 18% negative = 39
  5. Anne - 44% positive / 12% negative = 32
  6. Charles - 44% positive / 22% negative = 22
  7. Philip - 40% positive / 24% negative = 16
  8. Meghan - 41% positive / 29% negative = 12
  9. Edward - 22% positive / 21% negative = 1
  10. Andrew - 16% positive / 47% negative = -31
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

In fairness they've only included the Queen, her husband, children, grandsons and grand-daughters-in-law so I'm sure who ever was seen as "least popular" would upset her. That said Edward and Anne have pretty small "unpopular" figures, most have just gone for "no strong feeling" which given how little media coverage these royals get is no surprise really. Its only really Andrew who has what I would see as bad scores. Out of the senior royals Charles and Meghan stand out with lower scores than the others. Thats just IMO.

My point in comparing Charles and Anne was that he does much more high profile things and appears to get much more media coverage than Anne yet still scores the same. If you wanted to look at it in terms of "value for money" you could argue Anne outdoes him getting the same scores with less resources, coverage etc. That said I think she trades on a good reputation that goes before her.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Interesting new poll from Public First:

http://www.publicfirst.co.uk/wp-cont...1/PF_Royal.pdf

[...]

Which way would be the best way for country for senior royals to spend their time (pick up to three)

Promoting charities in the UK 53%
Recognising efforts of local 44%
Promoting British business overseas 37%
Promoting union of Eng,Scot, Wales & NI 31%
Visiting hospitals 24%
Campaigning on whatever personal causes 17%
matter to them
and on and on....
It surprises me that 31% of the public is seeking to have senior royals intervene for a highly political cause, which would represent a direct challenge to the aim (Scottish independence) of one of the major political parties.

Quote:
Members of the RF should keep away from anything controversial so as not to divide the country 50%
Members of the RF should prioritise the promotion of social causes they believe in, even if a lot of people have different views 36%
I would be interested in seeing these figures broken down into respondents who believe the Royal Family agrees with the respondent's own views on divisive causes, compared with respondents who believe the Royal Family disagrees with the respondent's own views on divisive causes. I have suspicions that some percentage of the public would be pleased to have the Royal Family promote divisive views with which they themselves agree – while standing against having the same Royal Family promote divisive views with which they disagree.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Added prince Philip and simplified it to positive vs negative:

Based on positive
  1. HM The Queen - 73% positive / 10% negative
  2. William - 71% positive / 9% negative
  3. Catherine - 66% positive / 9% negative
  4. Harry - 57% positive / 18% negative
  5. Anne - 44% positive / 12% negative
  6. Charles - 44% positive / 22% negative
  7. Meghan - 41% positive / 29% negative
  9. Edward - 22% positive / 21% negative

Based on negative (with most negative at the end)
  1. William - 71% positive / 9% negative
  2. Catherine - 66% positive / 9% negative
  3. HM The Queen - 73% positive / 10% negative
  4. Anne - 44% positive / 12% negative
  5. Harry - 57% positive / 18% negative
  6. Edward - 22% positive / 21% negative
  7. Charles - 44% positive / 22% negative
  9. Meghan - 41% positive / 29% negative

How could they forget about Camilla? And Sophie should have been included as well. Although I expect she would have a relatively high number of 'in between' or 'I don't know's, just like her husband.

And it's clear that the queen, William and Catherine are in their own league with 65% + positive and 10% or less negative. And Andrew is in his own league as well on the other end.
Camilla and Sophie should have been included in this research. I do not understand why they were not included.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I would be interested in seeing these figures broken down into respondents who believe the Royal Family agrees with the respondent's own views on divisive causes, compared with respondents who believe the Royal Family disagrees with the respondent's own views on divisive causes. I have suspicions that some percentage of the public would be pleased to have the Royal Family promote divisive views with which they themselves agree – while standing against having the same Royal Family promote divisive views with which they disagree.
The data is quite detailed being provided for gender, geographical area, social status, stance on Brexit and political leaning; so while they didn't ask whether they 'agree' with the perceived view of the BRF on divisive causes, that might give you the insight you are looking for.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Courtier

Camilla is the next Queen consort. She should have been included in these polls.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's very odd to me that as detailed as the data is in one sense, that two important members of the royal family were omitted. I wonder what the decision making process around that was?
Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The data is quite detailed being provided for gender, geographical area, social status, stance on Brexit and political leaning; so while they didn't ask whether they 'agree' with the perceived view of the BRF on divisive causes, that might give you the insight you are looking for.
The details provided are informational, I agree, but unfortunately I lack the necessary knowledge about the public's perceptions of the British Royal Family's views to make an educated guess about, for example, the percentage of SNP voters who perceive the BRF as sharing/not sharing their views on divisive causes.