The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2018, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has never been in the 80s since they started polling it. The lowest it has been was 1997 but usually low 70s and that has been consistent since the end of WWII.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry couldn't really find a page for the future of the British monarchy in the Commonwealth Realm so I decided to put this information here.

In regard to a comment made by a Canadian politician named Jagmeet Singh, there was a poll conducted on the popularity and support of Canada being a constitutional monarchy. The results were 54% in support and thought of Queen Elizebeth II and the monarchy as being relevant to Canada while 46% supported Jagmeet Singh said and thought of the monarchy as irrelevant. Keep in mind this was done on Yahoo but none the less the majority thought of the monarchy as relevant to Canada which is actually higher than the polls I've seen about Canada in the past.

I'm split between either Canada remaining in the Commonwealth Realm or establishing its own independent royal family. There's no doubt that Australia and maybe New Zealand will probably become republics in the future but I'd like to see some sort of constitutional monarchy for Canada in the future.

-Frozen Royalist

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/yahoo-aske...184158468.html

Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Majesty

New YouGov poll. Pretty much good news for everybody. You can click on an individual royal and delve deeper into the numbers if that's your thing.

6276 interviews - YouGov Ratings data collected between May 2018 and March 2019

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/politic...ty/royalty/all
Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 PM
Majesty

That YouGov page isn't working for me. The figures aren't coming through.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Majesty

Working for me. Try going to the site and clicking ratings and then political figures. Scroll down a bit and the poll is there.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That YouGov page isn't working for me. The figures aren't coming through.
1. Harry - 72% popular
2. HMQEII - 72%
3. William - 71%
4. Kate - 64
5. Prince Phillip - 55
6. Meghan - 52
7. Charles - 49
8. Anne - 46
9. Zara - 42
10. Sophie - 29
11. Camilla - 29
12. Edward - 28
13. Eugenie - 25
14. Beatrice - 25
15. Andrew - 23
Old 03-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Majesty

Thanks for that. Glad to see Prince Philip is still included!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:26 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the link Rudolph.

Fascinating to see how high the royals rank in 'The most popular public figures in the UK'.

1 Prince Harry =72%
2 The Queen =72%
3 Barack Obama =71%
4 Prince William =71%
5 Michelle Obama =67%
6 Duchess of Cambridge =64%
7 Bill Gates =58%
8 Prince Philip =55%
9 Duchess of Sussex =52%
10 Prince Charles =49%
11 Richard Branson =47%
12 Princess Anne =46%
(...)
15 Zara Tindall =42%
(...)
20 Countess of Wessex =29%
(...)
22 Duchess of Cornwall =29%
(...)
26 Prince Edward =28%
(...)
33 Princess Eugenie =25%
34 Princess Beatrice =25%
(...)
37 Prince Andrew =23%
Old 03-30-2019, 02:29 AM
Gentry

Intresting. Harry has surprisingly high rank there.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:59 AM
Majesty

What is the source, what was the polling method, how big and varied was the polling audience? The assumed "popularity" of the Sussexes is in contradiction to the daily vitriol I see about the couple.

The American Bill Gates, often filed under the obscenely rich and the American Barack Obama in the top 10, but the absence of British persons as Gareth Southgate (the well-liked succesful coach of the English national football team) or the immensely popular David Attenborough, makes me suspicious about this poll.

Despite the misleading name YouGov, it is a purely commercial polling company which sells polls about everything anyone is willing to pay for. In another poll of the very same YouGov the Queen is only 24th (!).

Link: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertai...person-britain
Old 03-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Do we have any information on the background of these 6000 people and the questions they were asked?

That information is also important to judge the accuracy of polls - which have been notoriously wrong in the UK over the past decade or so on many issues e.g. the referendum and the elections (including the YouGov polls on those issues).
Old 03-30-2019, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
What is the source, what was the polling method, how big and varied was the polling audience? The assumed "popularity" of the Sussexes is in contradiction to the daily vitriol I see about the couple.

The American Bill Gates, often filed under the obscenely rich and the American Barack Obama in the top 10, but the absence of British persons as Gareth Southgate (the well-liked succesful coach of the English national football team) or the immensely popular David Attenborough, makes me suspicious about this poll.

Despite the misleading name YouGov, it is a purely commercial polling company which sells polls about everything anyone is willing to pay for. In another poll of the very same YouGov the Queen is only 24th (!).

Link: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertai...person-britain
With the ratings options, you can select the category of people so that's why you can get different people at the top depending on which category you go for. However, the ratings for each person remains the same regardless of which category they've put them in.

For example, Attenburgh has a rating of 87% positive & only 3% negative versus the Queen at 72% positive & 10% negative so Attenburgh will always rank above her in any list that they're both included in.

Attenburgh comes top in the entertainment category but the Queen isn't in that list. She's in the public figure list but he isn't (I don't know why not).

There's nothing to stop journalists (or anybody) compiling their own popularity lists from the YouGov data, providing they use the actual ratings for each person.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
[.....]

Attenburgh comes top in the entertainment category but the Queen isn't in that list. She's in the public figure list but he isn't (I don't know why not).

[....] .
That is exactly the illustration that anyone can shop freely in these polls.
Attenborough is #1 overall.

But hey, let us file him under celebrity (????) and not as a public person (????), an eminent scientist and world-wide advocate for nature conservation. Let us include Obama and Gates as public person but again not Attenborough. Quod erat demonstrandum: YouGov says "You pay, we make. Anything is possible."

It is the same as filing Melania, Amal and Merkel in the top 3 as most powerful women in the world. But of course not the female CEO of the world's biggest telecom giant Huawei. Who has ever heard about her? Pfff. But if you pay, no problem, YouGov will create a nice clickbait poll result for you.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is exactly the illustration that anyone can shop freely in these polls.
Attenborough is #1 overall.
But hey, let us file him under celebrity (????) and not as a public person.
Let us include Obama and Gates as public person but not Attenborough.
Quod erat demonstrandum: YouGov says "You pay, we make. Anything is possible."
Well obviously you can rank people according to category & define your own categories. The ratings aren't secret & you don't have to pay to see them - they're there to see for anyone so I don't know what your problem with it is.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well obviously you can rank people according to category & define your own categories. The ratings aren't secret & you don't have to pay to see them - they're there to see for anyone so I don't know what your problem with it is.
It is the framing. Not saying that 23 public persons are more popular than the Queen.
No, let us filter it out. Wow hey... what an approval rating, the Queen has!

It is the same as Perrier ordering a poll about most liked drinks. Coca-Cola, Heineken, Pepsi, topping the polls???? Mais non ! Tweak the poll: exclude sugary drinks and beer. Et alors, voilà ! Perrier is #1 as most liked refresher! That frame hangs in the media. But it is not the truth. It is a tweaked and partial truth.

But Perrier got what it wanted. As a statistician by profession I can reveal: any outcome is possible. I can talk bananas straight with an Excel sheet.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Surprised to see Zara Philips poll so high seeing as she doesn't perform any royal duties.

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 03-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Surprised to see Zara Philips poll so high seeing as she doesn't perform any royal duties.
It might be because she has quite a lot of media coverage due to her sporting career & sponsorships. She has some celebrity status unlike lesser known royals eg Sophie.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It might be because she has quite a lot of media coverage due to her sporting career & sponsorships. She has some celebrity status unlike lesser known royals eg Sophie.
Yes I was thinking about that afterwards still quite a decent score for Zara.

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think with Zara as she has no public duties and no HRH she is perceived as not costing the public anything so that means people are less likely to dislike her. She is seen as a sportswoman more than a member of the RF.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Zara works hard and is a pleasant person, who does not ned to rely on "Royal status".. and who clearly wants to get on with her life, which involves running her business and horsey interests... I would admire that..