The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Opinium Research is left-leaning and Labour supporting. It's polls generally show lower support.

So 66 percent is a good number given it's politics.

YouGov and Ipsos Mori have a broader polling base and their polls show support in the high 70s.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Two thirds (65%) of UK adults think Britain should continue to have a monarchy in the future. Only 19% hoped that Britain would become a republic at some point in the future, the lowest proportion seen in the four waves of this study.

Going into 2017: the Monarchy remains popular - Opinium

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Majesty

I think that number is going to go up over the next months as the Brexit negotiations start in earnest - and of course with a lot a noise from EU (that's part of the show).
Then people will haven a tendency to rally around national symbols.
- Perhaps with the exception of Scotland - that'll be interesting to see.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Majesty

Honestly, I don't see the UK becoming a republic any soon... Until something big happens, Uk will always be associated with the british monarchy...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Opinium Research's numbers are always a bit lower. It's a polling firm used mostly by the Left.

So given that, the monarchy is in great shape. Ipsos and YouGov consistently put support for monarchy in the high 70s.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
MORE than half of Brits want Prince William to be the next King, The Sun can reveal — while just a fifth reckon it should be his father Charles.

And in a further blow to the Prince of Wales, 36 per cent said his wife Camilla should be Princess Consort rather than Queen if he does take the throne.
Read more : https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/422644...parker-bowles/
Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes I saw it! Its beeing dicussed in 'The Monarchy after Elizabeth thread'.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Wow - only 36% don't want her as Queen.

That is a real improvement.

It wasn't that long ago that that figure was closer to 80% or even higher.

When she married support for her being Queen Consort was in single figures and now only a third are opposed.

Amazing how statistics can be interpreted.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

EXCLUSIVE POLL: Britons will NOT accept 'Queen Camilla'

From The Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...les-Meghan/ampw
Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
EXCLUSIVE POLL: Britons will NOT accept 'Queen Camilla'

From The Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...les-Meghan/ampw
"Queen Camilla" has never been feasible in practice. Charles knows it and that is why the PoW's official website still mantains that "it is intended" that she will be known as the Princess Consort.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

TBF if you ask a lot of people about a lot of things they would probably not choose it, but the question is how much are they against it? Enough to do anything?
E.g. ask people if they want to pay taxes almost everybody would say no, yet that doesn't mean every one of them is dodging paying taxes.

Clearly when asked about it directly (after a stream of Diana anniversary documentaries and media) and given a choice the vast majority of people don't want Camilla to be Queen yet I suspect when Charles becomes King and Camilla is automatically, by law, Queen most people won't care one way or the other to do anything about it.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Anything by 'the Daily Diana',/'Daily Health/Weather Scare',AKA Daily Express is not to be trusted or taken seriously..

When the sad Day comes, we shall see... but I too think, that 'amidst the grief' acceptance of whatever the Palace announces is likely and Public antipathy to the bereaved Prince [new King] is UNTHINKABLE.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Support for the Monarchy in the UK

The poll is meaningless. A poll also shows the more people want William as the next King. However that isn't going to happen. When the Queen dies, Charles is King and Camilla is Queen. People aren't going to take to the streets in protest.

I find the whole notion that only Camilla must be punished for her role in her husband's failed marriage and not be allowed to use her lawful title ridiculous.

The Queen if she wanted could have refused permission for Charles and Camilla to marry. She could have forced his hand -Camilla or the throne but she didn't.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Majesty

So amen with that!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The Queen if she wanted could have refused permission for Charles and Camilla to marry. She could have forced his hand -Camilla or the throne but she didn't.

She could have refused permission, but it wasn't an issue of Camilla or the throne - either she permitted the marriage and it happened, or she didn't permit it and it didn't happen.

Prior to the recent changes, the monarch's consent was required for a marriage to be legal; it's only now that a royal can marry without permission and be removed from the throne.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prior to the recent changes there was another way - the royal refused permission could have petitioned parliament and, after a year, if neither house objected the marriage could have happened legally. The question though would have had to be asked 'why didn't the Queen approve?' and she would have had to justify herself to the parliament.

As she already seeks the advice of the PM she would also have known that to refuse permission on the grounds of adultery or divorce, given the high percentage of divorces in the UK and having given permission to Anne to remarry, she would have been on very shaky ground had she tried that in 2005.

The new laws also only apply to the first six in the line of succession so from Beatrice down they don't need permission. The interesting one with that could arise when either Kate has a third child or Harry has a legitimate child and Andrew moves to 7th - would he then remarry Sarah? There would be nothing anyone could do about that if it happened once he is 7th in the line of succession.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The poll is meaningless. A poll also shows the more people want William as the next King. However that isn't going to happen. When the Queen dies, Charles is King and Camilla is Queen. People aren't going to take to the streets in protest.

I find the whole notion that only Camilla must be punished for her role in her husband's failed marriage and not be allowed to use her lawful title ridiculous.

Totally agree with your point of view for polls are just a waste of time and money and made by people that are wanting to cause an uproar over nothing. The past is just that..*the past* it can not be changed and Camilla should not be punished for things happen in life to all of us and sometimes those very things are out of our control.

I think Charles and Camilla will make a wonderful couple in the future and IMHO so many people really underestimate this man, he is brilliant, a great businessman, a very hard working man for the country, he has had his entire life in training for being coming king someday, a great marrige where they work together and show that they are a strong team for the country....what's to not like about him, a bad marriage that blew up, well who hasn't had a bad love experience that blew up in their face...I sure did and more then once the only difference is that mine are private while his went public for the entire world to see, so what......give the man a chance well he really does not need a chance now does he, Charles will be KING no doubt about it and then W/C will really be out there working for he, William will the the heir and hopefully have lots of time to do more and learn more from his father....yet now wanting that to happen anytime soon for HM is a big deal to me....I want her around for another decade or more........till at least 105 years!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY!

I cannot understand how people are still outraged over Charles' marriage breakdown, especially that is has been over 25 YEARS AGO! Anyone else would have been told to get over it!

Unless there is a change to the Act, Camilla will be crowned Queen. And rightfully too. In my eyes, she is an absolute treasure to the BRF.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Poll are only a waste of time or money when you don't get the answer you want. !!!!Otherwise they do give a bit of a view the way people are thinking
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Great Britain has been the epitome of continuity and its treasuring of all thing British with their pomp and circumstance and traditions are a huge part of the country's identity. Although there are certain areas that need to be flexible with the changing times, those can be made without infringing on those things that make Great Britain what it is and a big part of that is its monarchy.

One big drawback I see with perhaps making changes because of some people's opinion on Charles and Camilla is that should it be that the line of King and Queens and their consorts be changed in any way, it is stripping away a part of the long held traditions that have continued for centuries. In order to change the tradition for one person (for example, Camilla), that change would have to be in effect for all future Queen Consorts. To just change the way things are done for one person weakens the continuity of the monarchy.

Charles may decide that he'll instigate some changes but I honestly believe that he's as dutiful and as much as a traditionalist as his mother is. I don't see abdication being in his vocabulary either and by all indications, I think William's attitude is the same.