The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Set To Become Longest-Serving Monarch
Quote:
The results from Sky Data found that 70% of people think Britain should remain a monarchy forever, with 61% saying they did not think the monarchy was a waste of money.

Some 58% also said they trusted the Queen more than most politicians. Some 1,117 Sky customers were questioned with data weighted to match the profile of the UK population.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
HMQs Court isn't remotely Edwardian !

No levees, no presentation at Court, no Court dress, and a vastly slimmed down Household.
I was struck by this reference to "Edwardian Court" because the I think the royal household is vastly different now to what it would have been in the Edwardian era.

Another phrase that is often used is that the Monarchy is an "elitist institution". In a technical sense, yes of-course it could be deemed to be elitist because the role of being the monarch is not open to everyone (and how many other institutions exist like that!?).
However, in real terms, the monarch and the institution exists for the benefit of the nation and the country as a whole rather than for itself. And where there exists something that is of national importance, such as the human personification and symbol of the State and the representative of the nation, you want it to be the very best it can possibly be!

On the matter of connecting with the people, it is difficult to see how this can be achieved more so than it is already doing. I guess it relates to personality, visibility etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Sky News @SkyNews
The monarchy remains as popular as ever, according to a Sky poll #longestreign

Quote:
A comprehensive majority of Britons have been in favour of retaining the monarchy whenever it has been polled, although it has grown even more popular in recent years following the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

And almost 75% of Britons now say the monarchy is integral to British culture.

Sky's political analyst Harry Carr said: "Even following her notorious 'annus horribilis' and her fraught relationship with Princess Diana, the Queen herself and the monarchy in general have remained ever popular.

"As we look back in history in celebrating the Queen's landmark as Britain's longest-serving monarch, these findings show the overwhelming popularity of retaining the monarchy not only now, but in perpetuity.

"And with a popular new generation of royals coming to the fore in Princes William and Harry, the monarchy does appear to be in safe hands."
Read more: Sky Data: Most Britons Want To Retain Monarchy
Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Courtier

In, no doubt the interest of balance, The BBC interviewed a member of I believe ' Republic ' today.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/08...chy-here-stay/
Quote:
The British public fully support the monarchy continuing. Over seven in ten (71%) adults believe the British monarchy should remain, with less than a fifth (18%) saying we should have an elected head of state instead.
This poll had the support for the Monarchy at 69% in 2011, and at 73% in 2012.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Monarchy popular as ever ahead of Queen’s 90th Birthday celebrations

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...ebrations.aspx

Brits hail The Queen, William and Kate: trust in royals soars ahead of Her Majesty's 90th birthday | UK | News | London Evening Standard
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Monarchy popular as ever ahead of Queen’s 90th Birthday celebrations

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...ebrations.aspx
I have seen most polls on the monarchy and this is one of the highest I've seen. And finally a poll from Ipsos MORI - the first since 2013. I'm surprised that the numbers are so high, especially after the sex stories about Andrew, Nazi pictures in the Sun, EU thing in the Sun, William/Kate hate in the media etc.

Quote:
The Monarchy remains as popular as ever, and opposition to the Queen retiring has risen substantially since the turn of the century, a survey by Ipsos MORI for King's College London has found ahead of the Queen’s 90th birthday on Thursday (21 April).

The telephone survey of 1,001 British adults finds support for keeping the Monarchy remains at the same high level as in the past (76% favour Britain remaining a Monarchy compared to 17% preferring a republic). Three-quarters of the public (75%) say they think the Monarchy has an important role to play in the future of Britain, a slight increase since polls conducted at the end of the 20th century, when the figure was between 67% and 70%.
Monarchy/Republic:
Would you favour Britain becoming a republic or remaining a monarchy?

2016: Monarchy: 76% Republic: 17% Dont Know: 7% - one of the best polls I've seen.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2016:
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...aspx?view=wide

King/Queen or elected President:
Do you think Britain should continue to have a King or Queen as our head of state, or should we have an elected President?

2016: King or Queen: 86% Elected president: 12% Don't know 2% - the highest number I've seen on the royal family.

Future of the Monarchy:
Q Do you think the monarchy does or does not have an important role to play in the future of Britain?

2016 Does: 75% Does Not: 20% Don't know: 4% - the highest number I've seen.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Role of the Monarchy in Britain's Future 1998-2000:

Abdication:
Quote:
Most of the public do not think the Queen should retire, even though she turns 90 this year. Of those who were asked simply whether they thought the Queen should abdicate at some stage or should remain Queen as long as possible, only one in five (21%) thought she should ever give up the throne, while more than two-thirds (70%) thought she should remain Queen. Support for the idea of her stepping down has fallen substantially since the question was asked in 2001 when a third, 34%, said she should do so.
Do you think that the Queen should abdicate at some stage, or should she remain Queen as long as possible?

2016: Remain Queen: 70% Abdicate: 21% Don't know: 9% - the highest number I've seen for the Queen to remain on the throne.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Should the Queen abdicate at some stage 1981-2001:

Quote:
Support for the Queen retiring is a little higher when some reasons why she might do so are put forward. Half of the participants were asked a different question, which reminded them that the Queen is 90, that Prince Charles has waited longer than any other heir to the throne in British history, and that other European monarchs have recently retired when they reached old age. With this prompting, one in three (32%) said they thought the Queen should retire at some stage, although almost twice as many, 61%, said she should remain Queen for life.
If people had known the facts - then I think even more people would say she should remain monarch for life.

See this post:
The Mechanics of Abdication and of Succession to the Throne

Charles God/Bad King:
Quote:
Three Britons in five (60%) think that Prince Charles will make a good king when he does come to the throne, while 22% think he will make a bad king; 18% said they didn’t know. The public’s view of Prince Charles has improved significantly since ten years ago, when only 52% thought he would make a good king and 28% a bad one. However, he still falls short of the levels of approval that he achieved at the start of the 1990s, before the public break-up of his marriage to Diana, Princess of Wales. In June 1991, 82% said that they thought that Prince Charles would make a good king, and just 5% that he would make a bad one.
Do you think that Prince Charles will make a good king or a bad king when he comes to the throne in future?

2016: God King 60% Bad King 22% Don't know 18% - Good numbers for Charles and up from 2006.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Prince Charles as King1991-2006:

Roger Mortimore, Professor of Public Opinion in the Institute of Contemporary British History at King’s, said:
Quote:
“The Queen is our longest ever reigning Monarch, and the public are clear that they want her reign to continue. She has succeeded in keeping the institution popular, and most people now think the Monarchy will still have an important role in Britain’s future. Moreover, the public are increasingly confident that Prince Charles will make a good king when the time comes. The outlook for the Monarchy looks bright.”

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with the Queen 1992-2012

No new polls, but these figures are very high even in the 1990s:
Old 04-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

It's to be expected. In events as big as this you really see a strong amount of unity amongst the English. I'm not strictly a royalist, but I tend to worry that if the monarchy ended there wouldn't be that one element that the English could gravitate towards that represented the whole nation instead of any one particular party.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

Marvellous !!! GSTQ.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why Monarchy is a Good Thing
Why does the UK love the monarchy? - BBC News
Old 05-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Ipsos Mori - High satisfaction levels with Royal Family as the Queen turns 90

Queen 86% satisfied, 5% are dissatisfied

William 76% satisfied, 6% dissatisfied

Charles 71% satisfied, and 11% dissatisfied

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...-turns-90.aspx
Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Ipsos Mori - High satisfaction levels with Royal Family as the Queen turns 90

Queen 86% satisfied, 5% are dissatisfied

William 76% satisfied, 6% dissatisfied

Charles 71% satisfied, and 11% dissatisfied

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...-turns-90.aspx
Rudolph, It is an error on Ipsos Mori's website. If you go into the PDF links, then you will see that Williams approval ratings are on 79% not 76%. A spokeswoman for Ipsos Mori has also said that they are on 79%.

When these very high numbers came two days ago, then I just waited for what the genius Richard Palmer would write - and here it is:
William's popularity is declining, poll finds | Royal | News | Daily Express

Richard has compared William's numbers with those that were made in June 2012.

I will now go through the numbers.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with the Queen 1992-2012:

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the Queen is doing her job as Monarch?

As you can see the Queen's numbers were very high even during the 1990s. They were on 75% and 74% in 1992/1996 and on 72% in December 1997 (These figures were very high even though it was just after Diana's death.) Her numbers dipped to 66% in March 1998, but were back at 73% in August 1998 and 71% in June 2000.

After the Queen Mother's death in 2002, the Queen's satisfaction numbers become very high.

82% in May 2002 (Golden Jubilee), 85% in April 2006 (80th birthday), 90% in June 2012 (Diamond Jubilee) and 90% in November 2012 - just 7% were Dissatisfied.

Now her numbers are on 86% and her dissatisfaction numbers ar down to just 5%. I did know that her numbers would be high this year as well, but I was very surprised that they were so high (especially after the Scotland thing, the Eu thing and the media's attempts to politicize the Queen.)

Her numbers are just incredible (especially in a country like the UK.)

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with Prince Charles 1997-2012:
https://ipsos-mori.com/researchpubli...aspx?view=wide

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince Charles is doing his job as Prince of Wales?

As you can see Charles's satisfaction numbers were on its highest in June 2012 with 78% (which was very high) and just 13% were Dissatisfied. This poll was done 4 days after his widely praised speech to the Queen at the Diamond Jubilee Concert.

Now his numbers are on 71%, which are very high and his second highest - just 11% are dissatisfied.

Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Satisfaction with Prince William
https://ipsos-mori.com/researchpubli...aspx?view=wide

Q Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge?

William and Kate become very popular in 2011, and his satisfaction numbers on 89% in June 2012 was very high - just 5% were dissatisfied.

Now his numbers are on 79% (very high), and just 6% are dissatisfied.

We must remember that he mostly received positive media coverage in 2012, and that most people assumed that he would be a full-time working royal when he left the armed forces.

Both I and most people have supported him in his choices through polls, but here they ask - Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge? Then it's not surprising that more people says don't know, because he's not a full-time working royal and he's received strong criticism in the press lately. They have called him lazy, workshy and boring.

I for one are very surprised over how high his present satisfaction numbers are, and the don't know people are likely to say that they are satisfied when he starts working full-time with his royal duties.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm always told it's not a popularity contest, because if it were William would be the next king and not Charles.

A 'don't know' response is just that. Some have no opinion on the royals but as usual Richard Palmer tries to spin this as a negative. William's dissatisfied number in 2012 was 5%, in 2016 it's 6%.

William's 79 percent job satisfaction rating is probably twice that of the Prime Minister's

Not exactly a national crisis for the monarchy
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm always told it's not a popularity contest, because if it were William would be the next king and not Charles.

A 'don't know' response is just that. Some have no opinion on the royals but as usual Richard Palmer tries to spin this as a negative. William's dissatisfied number in 2012 was 5%, in 2016 it's 6%.

William's 79 percent job satisfaction rating is probably twice that of the Prime Minister's

As I said in my above post: We must remember that he mostly received positive media coverage in 2012, and that most people assumed that he would be a full-time working royal when he left the armed forces.

Both I and most people have supported him in his choices through polls, but here they ask - Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Prince William is doing his job as Duke of Cambridge? Then it's not surprising that more people says don't know, because he's not a full-time working royal and he's received strong criticism in the press lately. They have called him lazy, workshy and boring.

I for one are very surprised over how high his present satisfaction numbers are, and the don't know people are likely to say that they are satisfied when he starts working full-time with his royal duties.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

As always with today's media, why let facts get in the way of a good story. They've tried to rile people up for a good year now and it clearly has not worked. However, they must continue because negativity sells. And I agree, the 'don't knows' are probably people that don't care about the monarchy one way or another.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

More than half of Britons want WILLIAM to be the next king | Daily Mail Online

Another poll regarding public support for the monarchy. Two thirds indicating that they wish to keep the monarchy.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that this is coming as a surprise... I mean, it would be something really interesting if the result had changed dramatically, but the support for the monarchy is strong as ever, and I think it will remain steady for many years to come, or as long as HM is still reigning.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think you can find as many articles on DM about how P.William should be the next monarch as that he unfit to be a monarch

Everything to keep the public reacting...
Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

It's not a DM poll. It was conducted by Opinium Research. Succession to throne is hereditary, not a popularity contest.

Although I think its a positive thing the younger royals like William are popular. A rising tide lifts all boats.

He is a complete breakdown

Two thirds think there is a still role for the monarchy – Opinium
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It's not a DM poll. It was conducted by Opinium Research. Succession to throne is hereditary, not a popularity contest.

Although I think its a positive thing the younger royals are popular. A rising tide lifts all boats.

He is a complete breakdown

Two thirds think there is a still role for the monarchy – Opinium

The support for the monarchy in that poll seems to be lower than in other recent polls. Why is that ?