The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-07-2015, 01:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry isn't at all irrelevant, especially to the younger generation. He's very popular. Margaret and Andrew aren't comparable examples of 'irrelevance' to him as the Queen had four children who undertook royal duties, pushing Margaret to the background. Andrew was one of four, not one of two siblings, as Harry is.

With a new slim line monarchy and the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh gone, the new royal family would consist of the King and Queen, both elderly, and William and Kate (Prince and Princess of Wales) undertaking many hundreds of royal engagements a year each, even with obligations pared to the bone.

I can't see Charles or William insisting on Harry quitting royal life (at least while George and sibling are under 25) if only for strictly practical reasons! It would be interesting to see William and Kate, with a young family) undertaking 500 or more engagements a year each.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry has already said that he wants a full career in the army - that means 25 years - or around another 15 - 20 years before he retires - so he won't be a full time royal until then by which time he will be totally in Andrew's position.

Andrew was 2nd in line to the throne until he was over 22. Harry has never been that high in the line of succession and very soon will be down to 4th - the position Andrew had from 1984 until 2013. Harry is already in his 30s and has another 20 or so years in the army ahead of him if he gets his way and is any good in his job and thus will get promotions at certain levels.

He will be increasingly irrelevant - just as Margaret - again 2nd in line for many years before being pushed down by the Queen's children - and again Andrew became.

Margaret and Andrew were also extremely popular with the younger generation but they were replaced in the nation's affections as the new generation of direct line became more visible and more to the fore.

I think William and Kate should be doing around 200 - 300 engagements now and up it to 500 - 700 within 5 years rather than hiding out while allowing the elderly royals - those over retirement age, including Charles and Camilla, to start to take it easy.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Support for the Monarchy in the UK

Margaret and Andrew were not irrelevant at times either. Margaret was super popular as a young woman in the 50s and 60s. The same with Andrew as the dashing handsome Falklands hero of the early 80s but they both got pushed to side as the next generation came up. The same thing will probably happen to Harry. 25 years from now, people will be focusing on George and his siblings.

Harry is 4th in line now moving to 5th when the baby comes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Royal Highness

As far as reducing the working royals. Who would make that decision ? Could it just happen by the Queen (or King ) wanting to do it or it something the government would decide and would have to be voted on.
I'm talking of a major change that would cause a lot of charities to be without a royal patron etc

Old 02-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
As far as reducing the working royals. Who would make that decision ? Could it just happen by the Queen (or King ) wanting to do it or it something the government would decide and would have to be voted on.
I'm talking of a major change that would cause a lot of charities to be without a royal patron etc

It's the monarch. It is he / she who covers the expenses of the members of the royal family.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:50 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you. Well then it really doesn't matter what the poll says.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

From Opinium Research

Quote:
In a major snub for the senior royal, only 25% said they preferred him to be the next monarch compared with 53% for popular Wills.

The poll also found more than half of Brits believe getting rid of the Royal Family would be bad for the nation, with 64% wanting the monarchy to stay.

William, 33, also came out on top of the most popular royals, with 44%, ahead of his brother Prince Harry, his granny the Queen and his wife Kate.
Read more: The English people have spoken: We want Will as King | Latest News | Breaking UK News & World News Headlines | Daily Star
Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Courtier

But how many people took the poll? like only 500 maybe 1000.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Which is about par for the course. The poll is weighted and there is a margin of error.

Nothing really surprising. William has always been popular and for most of his adult life opinion polls have showed people would prefer him as their next king.

Its not a popularity contest though
Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Once again ... Why was this poll conducted at all?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ Which is about par for the course. The poll is weighted and there is a margin of error.

Nothing really surprising. William has always been popular and for most of his adult life opinion polls have showed people would prefer him as their next king.

Its not a popularity contest though
Polls are polls, they can say one thing, and the next year the other.

Give us Chas & Camilla Exclusive Sun poll reveals majority now want Charles and his wife on the throne

The Sun

Again, the British Monarchy is not a Miss UK beauty pageant ; so these polls are quite nonsense.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

The Daily Star has a miniscule readership for a 'red top'.. [although 'reading' is hardly necessary for people who take it, since it is mostly pictures].

Nothing it produces has an influence or relevance to the wider public.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Nobility

At first pass I thought the survey was done by Opium Research.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

From Opinium Research

Quote:
After 63 years and seven months on the throne, her popularity remains steadfast, with 71 per cent of British adults satisfied with how she conducts her duties, an opinion poll found yesterday.

The 89-year-old monarch, who is due to overtake Queen Victoria as the longest reigning monarch on Wednesday, heads an institution that most Britons think plays a valuable role, according to the poll by Opinium Research.

William, 33, is the Royal Family’s most popular member with 44 per cent backing, compared with 39 per cent for Prince Harry and 37 per cent for the Queen.

Kate, 33, is next in popularity with 32 per cent support and Prince Andrew’s daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie, were the least popular.

James Endersby, managing director of Opinium Research, said: “The Queen has always put her duty as ruler first, which probably explains why the majority of the British public have such positive feelings towards her.”
Read more: Queen has support from three quarters of nation as she becomes longest serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Courtier

William and Katherine are the most popular because they are young (ish) good looking (ish) and have a cute young family.In 20 years time when he is in his 50s William will probably be the least popular member of the family while George and Charlotte will be the most popular. This is what happens in the cult of the young.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, only begin at the top of this forum page, #13, and read down: then it is "We Want Wills!", then it is "We what Charles and Camilla!" and now again "Three quarters supports the Queen!". Three total different outcomes, three total different polls.

The latest UK General Elections are enough that pollsters, all of them separately and combined, can have it wrong, very wrong... So I congratulate Her Majesty with the fact that the Good Lord has given her a long life -that is actually what it is- and for the rest take all of these polls as they are: paper-fill.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

“However it is interesting to note there is a need for the Royal Family to take a more modern outlook, which is indicated in the support for William, who represents a more relatable generation of royals” - James Endersby, from Opinium Research

Some of the more interesting things to come out of the poll.

Quote:
Many people want to see future generations of the Royal Family try to connect more with the public.

A total of 42 per cent think the sovereign needs to be more progressive. More than half (56 per cent) consider the monarchy to be an elitist institution and a quarter (26 per cent) say the next monarch should be much younger.

More than twice as many people (53 per cent) think Prince William should be the next monarch than those who opt for Prince Charles (25 per cent).
Queen has support from three quarters of nation as she becomes longest serving monarch | Royal | News | Daily Express

Her Majesty has an Edwardian Court that maybe beginning to show some signs of being out of touch. Although the Queen herself is still immensely popular.

I think Charles will implement many changes when he is king. He is quite modern in his own way although many still see him as being more tied to the Queen's generation than to William and Harry's.

I think its natural that after so many decades of one monarch people are looking to the future and what it will bring.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

HMQs Court isn't remotely Edwardian !

No levees, no presentation at Court, no Court dress, and a vastly slimmed down Household.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

Queen of Queens . . . and of the Kings too | The Sunday Times
Quote:
ON THE eve of becoming the country’s longest-reigning monarch, the Queen has also been voted the greatest, ahead of Elizabeth I and Victoria.

A YouGov poll for The Sunday Times has given her a resounding lead, at 27%, more than the combined score of the Virgin Queen, on 13%, and Victoria, the Queen’s great-great-grandmother, on 12%.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This poll really doesn't surprise me much as the people who participated in the poll were voting for their real live flesh and blood and beloved monarch who most likely is the only monarch they really "know" outside of the history books.

Each one of the three Queen Regnants put their own special marks and meanings to their own eras. Speaks volumes for the British monarchy though if you ask me.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon