Support for the Monarchy in the UK 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know The Guardian's definition of corruption? I mean the firm is essentially doing it's job accordingly with taxpayers' money, so what the complaint is that they are doing state functions which is part of their job and purpose? Even if you had a president I guarantee that he/she would more or less do the same thing with the funds handed to them only in this case it will be for political purposes and that will divide the British people, that I can 100% guarantee and from what I understand the British people are already divided as it is with Brexit, Scottish Independence and Irish Reunification.

If a president's son or grandson got married and it was televised on live television at some famous church, I guarantee that there will be as much of a fuss as there will be with a royal wedding if not more because there will be some political baggage, protests towards the president and several criticisms from rivaling parties about doing something against the multicultural community of your nation for corresponding with a religious group to even attending said wedding. Also, as much as it pains for me to say it, there won't be as much revenue made if it is a wedding relating to a president.

I am 100% certain if there was no money involved that people would care less about the argument of a republic or a monarchy. Uh, money, money and even more money, listen I want to be rich like the next person and I'd even like services to be free but the truth in the matter is that all good things in life are not free, there is and forever will be a price to the "good stuff". Yeah sure you could redirect those funds to maybe jobs or whatever but your country would just be a conformist in terms of types of government, we already have enough republics as it is.

So what? Does every single country on the planet needs to be a republic, where would the diversity be if every nation has the same type of government? I mean shouldn't individualism be supported in cultures and especially for types of government? If every single nation was a republic then this planet would be boring because we would all be the same government wise, would it be worth it? There wouldn't really a compare and contrast anymore. It would all just be mob rule, I like democracy but even I think there are a few down sides just like everything else, with nations becoming more divided which in turn would make the world even more unstable in my opinion.

As a person who lives in a republic let me say this, it's not all sunshine and rainbows, hell I personally wonder if it is really worth it? With just the president alone the United States might as well be called the Divided States at this point. Even chancellors and prime ministers can divide nations badly, we all remember previous and current prime ministers of France, Greece and Hungary can horrendously divide their people. Honestly with the divisions in America I wouldn't be surprised be California, Hawaii and Texas were to become independent nations in the future because of this fiasco.

-Frozen Royalist

Feel free to comment or criticize me if you wish.

Last edited:
You can't lay this situation on just one president. As if everything was sunshine and roses till Trump came on board. I didn't vote for him (or Hillary) however let's be real here...the division has been going on for years.

LaRae

You can't lay this situation on just one president. As if everything was sunshine and roses till Trump came on board. I didn't vote for him (or Hillary) however let's be real here...the division has been going on for years.

LaRae

I know I know, but it just feels more visible then before, I don't mind some nations being republics but I just feel that things have been becoming increasingly outrageous.

I know constitutional monarchies have their own issues but you don't really see kings or queens going onto twitter for everything now do we?

-Frozen Royalist

If the British people decide to change their way of life and become a republic then that will be their decision and their decision alone and it isn't for the rest of us to argue the way they should govern themselves.

When Australia next votes to become a republic - and it will - I am also confident they will go down the plebiscite route first with a simple question 'do you want Australia to become a republic?' and then a series more plebiscites to find out the type of republic if the answer is 'yes'. That way when the referendum question is put it will be virtually guaranteed to get up. That process could start within weeks or months of the Queen's death but could take a decade or so but it will happen.

I never understand why Americans, who lives in a republic, are so vocal about those of us who live in monarchies keeping that system. Surely it is up to us and us alone on a country by country basis.

Trump, of course, is the best advertisement around the world for the constitutional monarchy while Charles will give the republicans a boost - especially if Camilla is allowed to use the title of Queen.

I know I know, but it just feels more visible then before, I don't mind some nations being republics but I just feel that things have been becoming increasingly outrageous.

I know constitutional monarchies have their own issues but you don't really see kings or queens going onto twitter for everything now do we?

-Frozen Royalist
Of course it is more visible due to the current Face Book, Twitter, etc., account on all computers. It is the current instant news media. A poll was taken in 4 different major universities and less than 10% of all students get their news from TV or printed news. If it is not on Twitter or Face Book, or another site they don't know about it. Plus 45% believe that most on internet is 100% correct depending on the sites. It is the way of life for all future generations. Even my own late 20 something grandchildren have no idea who the "big names" news anchors are. Their most popular station on TV was the weather channel, and then only if an awful weather storm was affecting their home state. The world news of the future. We created, now we must endure and play the game.

I found this poll extremely interesting, TLLK, with regard to the different perceptions of the BRF in both Commonwealth and non-Commonwealth countries.
Also pleased to see that Harry has high international popularity figures, especially in light of the forthcoming wedding.

Across the world, views towards the Royal Family are more favourable than unfavourable (by 35% to 11% on average), though around half are either neutral (37%) or don’t know (16%). Outside of the UK, the most positive countries are Romania (58% favourable), Saudi Arabia (50%), India (48%) and the US (43%) – while Spain and Argentina are the most negative (only 18% favourable in each).

Individual members of the Royal Family tend to be viewed more favourably – notably the Queen (42% favourable on average), Prince William and Catherine (43% and 39% respectively), and Prince Harry (41%). Prince Charles receives the lowest favourability scores (24% favourable, the same as those who are unfavourable), though again just over half are either neutral or don’t know.

I don’t think I’ve seen a poll on the BRF that takes into account ‘world opinion’

Across the world, views towards the Royal Family are more favourable than unfavourable (by 35% to 11% on average), though around half are either neutral (37%) or don’t know (16%). Outside of the UK, the most positive countries are Romania (58% favourable), Saudi Arabia (50%), India (48%) and the US (43%) – while Spain and Argentina are the most negative (only 18% favourable in each).

Individual members of the Royal Family tend to be viewed more favourably – notably the Queen (42% favourable on average), Prince William and Catherine (43% and 39% respectively), and Prince Harry (41%). Prince Charles receives the lowest favourability scores (24% favourable, the same as those who are unfavourable), though again just over half are either neutral or don’t know.

I don’t think I’ve seen a poll on the BRF that takes into account ‘world opinion’

What is Camilla’s favourability score ?

There is some interesting information also on support for the monarchy in other countries. In Spain, for example, 37 % think that abolishing the monarchy would make the country better. That is a pretty high number and shows how the position of the Spaniish RF is far from secure. Surprisingly, support for the monarchy in Belgium is much higher than I would expect.

Last edited:

Yes I believe that this might be a first to conduct a poll on the BRF outside of the UK and Commonwealth nations.

What has popularity to do with support for a monarchy? It is very well possible that individuals, like a Crown Princess Victoria, or a Prince Harry, or a Queen Máxima enjoy great personal popularity, approval and likeability, but at the same time the answer on the question: "Do you prefer a system of hereditary succession, or a system in which the people elect the head of state?" can show total different figures. Enjoying personal popularity is not the same as support for a monarchy, which is what this thread is about. An often made mistake.

Last edited:
Rather surprised not to see Sophie Countess of Wessex on the list far more deserving of a place ahead of the York sisters.

What is Camilla’s favourability score ?

There is some interesting information also on support for the monarchy in other countries. In Spain, for example, 37 % think that abolishing the monarchy would make the country better. That is a pretty high number and shows how the position of the Spaniish RF is far from secure. Surprisingly, support for the monarchy in Belgium is much higher than I would expect.

What is the reason for your optimistic tone regarding Belgium?
In 1990, in 1999, in 2002, in 2003 and in 2014 the institute Ispo polled amongst Belgians.

In 1990 more than 60% of the Dutch speaking Belgians (3/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 2014 between 40-35% of the Dutch speaking Belgians (3/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 1990 only 40 % of the French speaking Belgians (2/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 2014 more than 60% of the French speaking Belgians (2/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

It means that the support for the monarchy is under 50% given the dominance of the Dutch speaking part. The rise in the traditionally far less royalist French speaking part is no genuine love for the monarchy but an expression of the French speaking part clamping themselves to the State (read: the mechanism which ensures that billions are transferred from the rich Dutch-speaking part to the French-speaking part).

So your optimism regarding Belgium is a little bit out of nowhere.

Koning is zijn Vlaamse meerderheid kwijt - De Standaard Mobile

https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/d...t-plus-royalistes-que-les-flamands?id=9454663

Last edited:
Rather surprised not to see Sophie Countess of Wessex on the list far more deserving of a place ahead of the York sisters.

This is what happens, as Duc_et_Pair has pointed out, when a poll is conducted to determine the popularity of a royal. These polled people see what's in the media and that's what determines their answers. Harry's being way up there along with HM, The Queen isn't surprising because there is a lot more focus and pictures around of these two while people like Anne and Sophie that keep on keeping on with little to no press coverage don't make the grade.

I would imagine that outside of the UK, not many people would know the correct answer to "who is HRH, Prince Edward married to?" They would draw a blank. I just fired this question at the hubby and he had no clue whatsoever what her name was. ;)

What is the reason for your optimistic tone regarding Belgium?
In 1990, in 1999, in 2002, in 2003 and in 2014 the institute Ispo polled amongst Belgians.

In 1990 more than 60% of the Dutch speaking Belgians (3/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 2014 between 40-35% of the Dutch speaking Belgians (3/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 1990 only 40 % of the French speaking Belgians (2/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

In 2014 more than 60% of the French speaking Belgians (2/5 of the population) did favor the monarchy.

It means that the support for the monarchy is under 50% given the dominance of the Dutch speaking part. The rise in the traditionally far less royalist French speaking part is no genuine love for the monarchy but an expression of the French speaking part clamping themselves to the State (read: the mechanism which ensures that billions are transferred from the rich Dutch-speaking part to the French-speaking part).

So your optimism regarding Belgium is a little bit out of nowhere.

Koning is zijn Vlaamse meerderheid kwijt - De Standaard Mobile

https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/d...t-plus-royalistes-que-les-flamands?id=9454663

In the Ipsos poll, only 17 % of the Belgians thought that a republic would make the country better and 26 % thought it would make it worse. Those numbers are better than in Sweden for example and, obviously, better than in Spain.

Note that, in most countries that were polled and which are monarchies, a plurality (around 40 %) think that changing the system of government to a republic "would make no difference" in terms of making the country better or worse. That is actually the "right" answer in my opinion: since the King is no longer involved in setting government policy, getting rid of him would have little practical effect on the way the country is run. Those who see no favorable effect in changing the system are less likely though to vote for the republic in a referendum and, combined with those who see a negative effect (again, over a quarter of the respondents in Belgium) , are close to two-thirds of the population.

In fact, based on that poll alone, the only country where there seems to be a strong republican sentiment is indeed Spain, where 37 % think that a republic would make the country better.

BTW, with respect to your previous post, "Do you prefer a system of hereditary succession, or a system in which the people elect the head of state ?" is not the same either as asking "Do you favor changing the system of government from a constitutional monarchy to a republic ?". The question , as you put it, highlights one of the most negative aspects (for most people) of a monarchy ("hereditary succession") and contrasts it with "the people electing the head of state", which BTW is not what happens in many republics where the president is elected by parliament or an electoral college rather than by direct, popular vote.It is a biased question then.

Last edited:
Going back to the UK, Camilla is the senior member of the RF who comes last as being named "the royal you like the most" (only 2 % worldwide and 3 % in the UK). That is not semantically equivalent to saying she is the "least liked" royal, but, most likely, suggests that her favorability score should be negative (i.e. more "dislikes" than "likes"), possibly even worse than the PoW's, whose net score was zero. I wonder why her favorability score was omitted from the press release with the poll results.

75% say the monarchy is important to the future of the country. Highest figure recorded. Up from 66% in 1997.

Via Ipsos Mori Twitter.

This is what I like to see. As long as the institution is popular, I don’t really care who’s in 1st, 5th or 15th.

75% say the monarchy is important to the future of the country. Highest figure recorded. Up from 66% in 1997.

Via Ipsos Mori Twitter.

This is what I like to see. As long as the institution is popular, I don’t really care who’s in 1st, 5th or 15th.

Personally I'd prefer it to be in the 80s but I suppose 75% is alright. I tend to view 70s to be like Cs while 80s and 90s being Bs and As respectively.

-Frozen Royalist

:previous: I think there are turbulent times to come with Brexit with the young angry at the older generation for wanting to pull out. The BRF, just by standing tall, being seen and being positive, can go a long way to be a unifying force in the UK.

It has never been in the 80s since they started polling it. The lowest it has been was 1997 but usually low 70s and that has been consistent since the end of WWII.

Sorry couldn't really find a page for the future of the British monarchy in the Commonwealth Realm so I decided to put this information here.

In regard to a comment made by a Canadian politician named Jagmeet Singh, there was a poll conducted on the popularity and support of Canada being a constitutional monarchy. The results were 54% in support and thought of Queen Elizebeth II and the monarchy as being relevant to Canada while 46% supported Jagmeet Singh said and thought of the monarchy as irrelevant. Keep in mind this was done on Yahoo but none the less the majority thought of the monarchy as relevant to Canada which is actually higher than the polls I've seen about Canada in the past.

I'm split between either Canada remaining in the Commonwealth Realm or establishing its own independent royal family. There's no doubt that Australia and maybe New Zealand will probably become republics in the future but I'd like to see some sort of constitutional monarchy for Canada in the future.

-Frozen Royalist

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/yahoo-ask...et-singhs-anti-monarchy-stance-184158468.html

That YouGov page isn't working for me. The figures aren't coming through.

Working for me. Try going to the site and clicking ratings and then political figures. Scroll down a bit and the poll is there.

That YouGov page isn't working for me. The figures aren't coming through.

1. Harry - 72% popular
2. HMQEII - 72%
3. William - 71%
4. Kate - 64
5. Prince Phillip - 55
6. Meghan - 52
7. Charles - 49
8. Anne - 46
9. Zara - 42
10. Sophie - 29
11. Camilla - 29
12. Edward - 28
13. Eugenie - 25
14. Beatrice - 25
15. Andrew - 23

Thanks for that. Glad to see Prince Philip is still included!

Thanks for the link Rudolph.

Fascinating to see how high the royals rank in 'The most popular public figures in the UK'.

1 Prince Harry =72%
2 The Queen =72%
3 Barack Obama =71%
4 Prince William =71%
5 Michelle Obama =67%
6 Duchess of Cambridge =64%
7 Bill Gates =58%
8 Prince Philip =55%
9 Duchess of Sussex =52%
10 Prince Charles =49%
11 Richard Branson =47%
12 Princess Anne =46%
(...)
15 Zara Tindall =42%
(...)
20 Countess of Wessex =29%
(...)
22 Duchess of Cornwall =29%
(...)
26 Prince Edward =28%
(...)
33 Princess Eugenie =25%
34 Princess Beatrice =25%
(...)
37 Prince Andrew =23%

What is the source, what was the polling method, how big and varied was the polling audience? The assumed "popularity" of the Sussexes is in contradiction to the daily vitriol I see about the couple.

The American Bill Gates, often filed under the obscenely rich and the American Barack Obama in the top 10, but the absence of British persons as Gareth Southgate (the well-liked succesful coach of the English national football team) or the immensely popular David Attenborough, makes me suspicious about this poll.

Despite the misleading name YouGov, it is a purely commercial polling company which sells polls about everything anyone is willing to pay for. In another poll of the very same YouGov the Queen is only 24th (!).

Link: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/enterta...avid-attenborough-most-popular-person-britain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom