The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Off-topic posts about the presidency of Barack Obama have been deleted.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Battle Royale: Who’s the Most Popular British Royal? - Speakeasy - WSJ
Quote:
In anticipation of this weekend’s U.S. visit by Prince William and his wife, Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, we took a look at the royal family’s reception—online and in the media.

Who’s the most popular member of the royal family? “Listening” software company iQ media measured the number of mentions select members of the royal family—Queen Elizabeth, Princes Charles, William and Harry, and Princess Kate Middleton—received in the past two years on TV, online and social media.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

sheesh "Princess Kate Middleton"

dont know whether to or

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
sheesh "Princess Kate Middleton"

dont know whether to or

Laugh. You have to laugh. Otherwise it'll just break you in the long run.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Courtier

I'm glad to see The Queen came in first. I wonder why they didn't measure Prince Philip? I'd like to believe he would have gotten second place.

I also hate when they butcher titles/names. The Duchess of Cambridge is a lovely title, and it's very straightforward too. They think they are talking down to their dense readers, but really it's lazy journalism. I swear I once saw an article that said "HRH Liz" in reference to The Queen.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

HRH for The Queen isn't totally incorrect as she was born with that designation and doesn't stop holding that style just because she holds a higher title. Inaccurate because she holds a higher designation and that should be used but not incorrect.

Referring to Kate as Princess Kate/Catherine is incorrect as she has never been a Princess in her own right and in the UK only Princesses in their own right are entitled to the designation of Princess own name. Referring to her as Kate Middleton isn't incorrect as that is her maiden name and thus is still a form of her name - but it isn't the highest or most recent designation of her name. Calling her Princess William would also be a correct form but why demote her by calling her Princess at all?

I doubt that Philip would have come in second had he been included. Why - this is a measure of mentions on social media - how many people who use social media even know who Philip is? Social media is used far more by younger people than older people - and it would be the oldies who know who Philip and Charles are but the younger generation would all know who The Queen is as she is on the coins, the subject of the National Anthem etc.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I doubt that Philip would have come in second had he been included. Why - this is a measure of mentions on social media - how many people who use social media even know who Philip is? Social media is used far more by younger people than older people - and it would be the oldies who know who Philip and Charles are but the younger generation would all know who The Queen is as she is on the coins, the subject of the National Anthem etc.
I can assure you that most young people in Britain know who Philip and Charles is, but they can't even name the so-called minor royals.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Royals and Malala are our moral leaders | The Sunday Times
Quote:
THE Queen and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge provide the best moral leadership for Britons, ahead of church leaders including the Archbishop of Canterbury, according to a poll.

A YouGov survey for The Sunday Times, in which respondents were asked to choose three or four names from a list, found 34% of people see the Queen as giving the strongest moral lead. In second place were Prince William and Kate, who were named by 30%.
The Queen is in first place with 34 percent, W&K are second with 30 percent and Malala is third with 19 percent
Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince HARRY is the nation's favourite royal with Kate, Duchess of Cambridge in second place | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Prince Harry, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Queen, Prince William and Prince Charles might make up the top five, but other royals have also proved popular.

Among them are Princess Anne in sixth place, the Duke of Edinburgh in seventh and Zara Tindall in eighth.
Here are the results in full:
1. Prince Harry (31 per cent)
2. The Duchess of Cambridge (26 per cent)
3. The Queen (21 per cent)
4. The Duke of Cambridge (19 per cent)
5. The Prince of Wales (seven per cent)
6. Princess Anne (six per cent)
7. The Duke of Edinburgh (four per cent)
8. Zara Tindall (four per cent)
9. Prince George (three per cent)
10. Princess Eugenie of York (one per cent)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Obviously, no correlation between popularity and time spent working as a full time royal.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Eh, these popularity polls change from minute to minute.
They're not to be taken seriously.

(For example, I'm betting many people have Eugenie confused with Beatrice, who has a much higher public profile).
Old 01-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

These polls are constantly changing. It's either The Queen, William, Catherine or Harry who is the most popular.

Prince Harry named UK's favourite royal beating the Queen and Kate * | Daily Mail Online

The Queen is most admired person in Britain says poll
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...MPmFL8w8QPI8Rw

God Save the Queen, future kings and Prince George! Poll reveals confidence in the monarchy is at an all-time high | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Asked which member of the Royal family they most admire, 26 per cent of people said the Queen, 19 per cent the Duke of Cambridge, 17 per cent Prince Harry and 12 per cent the Duchess of Cambridge.

The survey found that 38 per cent of people are in favour of Prince William being the next King - compared with 42 per cent who said it should be Charles.
The Queen, Charles and William have a good approval rating, that's what counts.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...aspx?view=wide

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...aspx?view=wide

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...cord-high.aspx
Old 02-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen is ‘most admired woman’ in UK
Quote:
A recent YouGov poll has shown that The Queen is the ‘most admired woman’ in the UK, and the 4th most admired woman in the world.

The poll, which was carried out across 23 countries and asked over 23,000 people, saw a scattering of Royals make the cut. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were popular in many countries, no doubt aided by their high-profile tour of New Zealand and Australia, and short trip to Washington D.C. and New York last year.

The Duke of Cambridge was voted the 16th most admired male in the world, and ranked as the 5th most admired on the UK list for men. His wife, The Duchess of Cambridge, held similar rankings as the 15th most admired woman worldwide and 5th in the UK.
William and Kate both rank in the top five for the UK
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Courtier

"The Queen the most admired woman in the UK." Darn Tootin!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Majority of Britons want to stop funding 'minor' royals such as Prince Andrew and Sophie Wessex | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Royal Family might be more popular than ever before but the majority of Britons think funding for some parts of the institution should be cut.

Although taxpayers are happy to fund the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Cambridges and Prince Harry, a new poll has revealed that most want the rest to take a pay cut.

That would mean Prince Andrew, the Princess Royal, the Wessexes and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, among others, losing any form of public subsidy.

Currently, the Royal Family is funded by a combination of the Sovereign Grant, which replaced the annual Civil List payment and three other grants in 2011, and money from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall.
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/05...l-family-down/ - From YouGov
Quote:
Most British people say that apart from the core royal family of the Queen, Charles and his descendants, the rest should no longer receive money from the taxpayer and royal estates

In terms of public opinion, the British royal family is enjoying something of a heydey.

The Queen has long since recovered from the dark days after Princess Diana's death, Wills and Kate are very popular, and even Prince Charles has enjoyed a turnaround in the past five years.

However, new research from YouGov reveals that the extent of the British public's enthusiasm for the royal family is very strictly limited to the 'core' royals in the direct line of succession.

The minor royals are not thought to warrant any support from the taxpayer or even the Royal Duchies.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I am unsure how I feel about paying for the others. I agree that the family does need slimmed down but that will happen naturally with age as Edward, Alexandra, Richard and Birgitte will die in the next 10-20 years, leaving the rest in their 60's and 70's. I don't think nor do I see Beatrice or Eugenie (or Louise and James for that matter) working for their uncle when their parents die so they will not be replaced.

Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie will all die (though i'm unsure about Sophie as i'm convinced she's got the fountain of youth at Bagshot Park but she isn't sharing it with Edward). Whether they pass on during Charles' reign or William's reign will only leave, in theory, William, Kate, George and "unborn", Harry, his spouse and possible two children.

I also think that the Queen is sort of being penalized for having 4 children. If she had only had Charles and Anne then this problem would not have occurred as Anne's children were not going to be royals either way so it would have only been Charles' children. It was her choice to have more children as much as it's a human right, but I feel that she is sort of being charged with it now as the public don't want to support her two younger children who did not ask to be born.

Quote:
The cost to the taxpayer of the royal family is around 58p per head per year, or around 0.005% of total public spending.
From this aforementioned article.

To be fair if we has to stop funding the other royals I doubt they will go without. Anne, Andrew and Edward's own personal finance stands in the millions due to inheritance so I am sure they will all cope.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Majesty

It is always funny to read about how much the British royal family costs taxpayers. I assume that Prince Charles will streamline the family under the pretence of saving taxpayer funds.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

You aren't really paying for the other royals. The Queen uses her private income from the Duchy of Lancaster to fund their activities like Charles uses the Duchy of Cornwall to fund his family. The Sovereign Grant money comes from the income from the Crown Estates where all of it is turned over to the government and a small portion is return to the Royal Household to pay for building maintenance, staff, garden parties etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

So I asked myself what drives these numbers? Clearly, the public polled does not see the value in the work done by all those carrying on events on behalf of the crown. So maybe 50% of the engagements undertaken don't translate into appreciation by the public. Maybe those unappreciated events are what needs trimming? Maybe "rah rah economic development" and "happy new playground" ribbon cutting has become passe.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Does it not occur to the Daily Heil, that the reason the Wessex's , the Gloucester's and the Duke of Kent are unappreciated, is that their sterling work receives virtually NO press coverage...