Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In their engagement interview, the Sussexes spoke about their love of taking long country walks together. They also spoke about spending time ‘in the middle of nowhere’ & that they’d been ‘all over the place’.

Meghan has also written about her travels with her Mum, where they visited & hiked of the beaten path, far from tourist & shopping areas. Harry & Meghan appear to be a well rounded couple, sharing a love of nature. Perhaps they’ve already visited Balmoral & were not photographed, or maybe they’re not going?

If one isn't 'sporty' its very dull indeed...

That's not true at all. Many people adore the highlands without partaking in bloodsports or riding. For example, there's painting, sketching, photography, birdwatching, walking & picnics just for starters. Half my family live up there & I manage to spend time enjoying the place without ever killing anything or getting on a horse.

When holidaying with a group of people who all share the same/similar interests and you're in the minority, it can be hard to enjoy yourself or go and do your own thing without being too antisocial. I've just come back from a holiday with a group of family friends who all mostly had different interests to me (luckily the region of France we were staying in was beautiful enough for me to still enjoy the trip) so it was really hard to try and find things that suited all of us (even though we somewhat managed it in the end, and some people went off in smaller groups to do things they were more interested in). Perhaps that's another reason why the Sussexes haven't been to Balmoral regularly enough. Most of the BRF is into horse riding, shooting etc and when you don't enjoy doing that kind of thing there's not much to do unless you want to be very antisocial!

When holidaying with a group of people who all share the same/similar interests and you're in the minority, it can be hard to enjoy yourself or go and do your own thing without being too antisocial. I've just come back from a holiday with a group of family friends who all mostly had different interests to me (luckily the region of France we were staying in was beautiful enough for me to still enjoy the trip) so it was really hard to try and find things that suited all of us (even though we somewhat managed it in the end, and some people went off in smaller groups to do things they were more interested in). Perhaps that's another reason why the Sussexes haven't been to Balmoral regularly enough. Most of the BRF is into horse riding, shooting etc and when you don't enjoy doing that kind of thing there's not much to do unless you want to be very antisocial!
As Harry’s mother found out. Where did this narrative that Meghan doesn’t enjoy country pursuits come from? She was opposed to hunting, but that’s not all they do at Balmoral. She, unlike Kate, does ride. All indications are that Meghan enjoys nature, hiking, and other outdoor pursuits. She and Harry went camping early in their relationship, Balmoral or the adjacent lodge will certainly be more luxurious than camping! At Balmoral they have barbecues/picnics - she likes cooking. From all I’ve seen she’s a social person who will undoubtedly enjoy her time away with Harry’s family. We know Charles gets along with her and everyone will enjoy time with Archie.
It makes sense to me to spread the family visits out over the time the Queen and Phillip are at Balmoral, the grands and great grands get more individual attention doing it that way.

Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019

As Harry’s mother found out. Where did this narrative that Meghan doesn’t enjoy country pursuits come from? She was opposed to hunting, but that’s not all they do at Balmoral. She, unlike Kate, does ride. All indications are that Meghan enjoys nature, hiking, and other outdoor pursuits. She and Harry went camping early in their relationship, Balmoral or the adjacent lodge will certainly be more luxurious than camping! At Balmoral they have barbecues/picnics - she likes cooking. From all I’ve seen she’s a social person who will undoubtedly enjoy her time away with Harry’s family. We know Charles gets along with her and everyone will enjoy time with Archie.
It makes sense to me to spread the family visits out over the time the Queen and Phillip are at Balmoral, the grands and great grands get more individual attention doing it that way.

I wasn’t saying that Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities. I was just speculating - hence my usage of the word perhaps - that it could be a reason as to why the Sussexes haven’t been frequent visitors to Balmoral since it was being suggested she doesn’t enjoy the activities and was using my own personal experience as an example. Whilst it’s true Meghan enjoys cooking and riding, she might not like the whole holiday as there’s a lot more to it than that. I’m not trying to feed in the reports Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities, I’m just explaining myself again.

We don’t know if the Sussexes have been to Balmoral or not. If the Sussexes haven’t been to Balmoral, perhaps it’s Harry that doesn’t want to be there. Meghan & Harry have only been married for a year, prior to that, other than his childhood, when was the last time Harry was photographed at Balmoral? Who knows, perhaps Balmoral brings bad memories for him, at this time of the year when his mother died.
In more recent times, Harry has spent the last part of summer in Southern Africa working with his charities & other conservationists.

I would love to see the pics of the Sussexes at Barmoral. Not the pap stroll to church but more informal - enjoying the grounds with Archie.

Perhaps the remote wilds of Scotland don't appeal to the Duchess of Sussex ? Its certainly 'not for everyone' - Shooting/Fishing/Deer stalking are certainly 'minority' interests, and there is little else to do [other than endless 'walks', or riding] on a Scottish Sporting Estate !

Do we know if the Duchess rides ?

The Duke's mother LOATHED Balmoral .

But it was known that Diana didn't loathe Balmoral, she loathed the family situation and her relationship with Charles and the rest of them...being 'stuck' in a remote castle with them for days on end.

Meghan has said (there have been interviews and quotes posted in the past) she likes the country, certainly they are not living in London which could of happened. I do doubt the hunting/fishing has much interest to her, I don't think she's been around all that before.

Of course for me, being 'stuck' at Balmoral for weeks sounds like heaven. I can't imagine not liking it.

LaRae

Last edited:
I’m not sure how roomy Balmoral is, so, along with their schedules, the family have to take turns visiting. It would be nice if the whole family could be there all at the same time and release a summer family picture like their European counterparts. Of course I’m just dreaming though.

I have read Balmoral has 52 bedrooms. That might be an exageration. But there is also 7 bedroom Craigowan, Birkhall, William's three bedroom cottage and other properties on the estate. Certainly not as crowded as Christmas at Sandringham if the family all shows up.

Harry and Meghan conducted their courtship on the royal estates, so they’ve been up to Balmoral. It’s just up to their schedule, I would guess.

They mentioned they used Windsor during their courtship. They walked on the grounds where they had privacy. No mention of other royal estates.

I wasn’t saying that Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities. I was just speculating - hence my usage of the word perhaps - that it could be a reason as to why the Sussexes haven’t been frequent visitors to Balmoral since it was being suggested she doesn’t enjoy the activities and was using my own personal experience as an example. Whilst it’s true Meghan enjoys cooking and riding, she might not like the whole holiday as there’s a lot more to it than that. I’m not trying to feed in the reports Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities, I’m just explaining myself again.
I don’t have the impression that any of the family, except the Queen and Phillip and Charles and Camilla over at Birkhall spend lengthy amounts of time at Balmoral -family units seem to visit for a week or so then some one else arrives - @ least that’s been my impression through the years.
I agree that vacations with extended family & friends are sometimes rather complicated and Jack and Meghan being the new folks in the situation may face some adjustments, Meghan especially as a new mom to a 3-4 month old baby.

I don’t have the impression that any of the family, except the Queen and Phillip and Charles and Camilla over at Birkhall spend lengthy amounts of time at Balmoral -family units seem to visit for a week or so then some one else arrives - @ least that’s been my impression through the years.
I agree that vacations with extended family & friends are sometimes rather complicated and Jack and Meghan being the new folks in the situation may face some adjustments, Meghan especially as a new mom to a 3-4 month old baby.

Edward and Sophie do as well. Not as much as Charles and Camilla but they do seem to enjoy a few weeks in the summer.

Louise was seen riding with the queen August 13th so they have been up there for a few weeks. And it seems the same most years.

The family though seems to like the out door activities a lot. And their kids are at an age where they can get out and enjoy the estate more then the Cambridge kids and Tindalls. Peter's kids a bit more now.

Edward and Sophie do as well. Not as much as Charles and Camilla but they do seem to enjoy a few weeks in the summer.

Louise was seen riding with the queen August 13th so they have been up there for a few weeks. And it seems the same most years.

The family though seems to like the out door activities a lot. And their kids are at an age where they can get out and enjoy the estate more then the Cambridge kids and Tindalls. Peter's kids a bit more now.

Yes, the Wessex’s often spend a lot of time at Balmoral in the summer. I imagine they have their own family holiday abroad and then come to Scotland for the last few weeks of holidays. I also think Edward and Sophie are very aware of the fact that the Queen and Prince Philip are unlikely to see Louise and James grow up and get married etc so they try to see them as much as possible. Sophie said in an interview that she seems then most weekends because they go to Windsor to ride.

I guess the other cousins have their own families and friends to see over summer so they can’t spend as much time there. Again, Sophie said in an interview that the family is so big and places like Sandringham and balmoral are the perfect place for them all to get together and see each other.

After reading so much about the need and expectation of privacy for the Royals ...

... it has been fun to come across so many first-hand reports from walkers and hikers on the Balmoral estate, who have had close encounters with them.

There are now places on Balmoral where walkers can just doss down for the night for free, and several walkers/hikers have blogged about their experiences.

From watching the Queen do a five point turn after having lunch at some remote building, to watching Prince Philip man the BBQ for the Tindalls, etc.

Here are a few links for anyone interested.

And who knew the Royals even get out and about to some of these locations of a night and not just during the day.

There are now several cottages that you can also rent from the Queen, lots of photos in the slideshows of various interiors.

And pop along to the online Balmoral Estate shop ... I'm torn between the corgi dog shoulder bag and the pearl and Swarovski crystal tiara.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72925

https://bothiesonabike.wordpress.com/tag/gelder-shiel/

https://halfwayhike.com/2016/09/17/trekking-across-the-balmoral-estate/

https://frogmom.com/mother-daughters-backpacking-trip-lock-muick-scotland/

https://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/royal-opening-at-gelder-shiel-ernies-bothy/

https://www.balmoralcastle.com/cottages.htm

Last edited:
I know. And just emphasizes my point that royals come throughout the summer.:flowers:

I was responding to a post that made it sound like this weekend was some big family reunion and the Sussexes were not invited.

If you had correctly read my post you quoted you’d note that I qualified it with the proviso: “or so it seems” ....:ermm:

Last edited:
Photos of preparations at the lodge Meghan and Harry are being reported as going to be staying at Lady Reem -

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/23/harry-meghan-wont-joining-wills-kate-balmoral-castle-10619188/

Watch out for those bees Archie.

The pictured vehicle is the standard mode of transport for the security detail of most senior royals, this photo doesn’t necessarily mean it is connected to the Sussexes potentially visiting. Their attendance is speculative at this point because without the photographic evidence that we see with the others during this time of year at Balmoral I can’t tell either way whether or not the Sussexes as a family have been invited to Balmoral. I can imagine Meghan would enjoy a change of scenery and what Balmoral has to offer though but I just can’t see the couple turning down an invitation from the queen unless there is an emergency. If the Sussexes are already there or going to be, then with the barrage of negativity Meghan’s faced in recent times I think it would be a warm and kind public gesture of support from tq if Meghan was invited to ride alongside her on the way to ⛪

The pictured vehicle is the standard mode of transport for the security detail of most senior royals, this photo doesn’t necessarily mean it is connected to the Sussexes potentially visiting. Their attendance is speculative at this point because without the photographic evidence that we see with the others during this time of year at Balmoral I can’t tell either way whether or not the Sussexes as a family have been invited to Balmoral. I can imagine Meghan would enjoy a change of scenery and what Balmoral has to offer though but I just can’t see the couple turning down an invitation from the queen unless there is an emergency. If the Sussexes are already there or going to be, then with the barrage of negativity Meghan’s faced in recent times I think it would be a warm and kind public gesture of support from tq if Meghan was invited to ride alongside her on the way to ⛪

I suspect that H&M would have been invited up to Balmoral this summer, as all the family are. The choice to accept or not would have been down to H&M.

Also, based on pictures over the years it appears that the Cambridge's enjoy spending time with Anne's children and their families. Harry used to be part of that set earlier, query whether he is no longer close to that part of the family any more?

Last edited:
IIRC it's been several years since Harry was seen at Balmoral. He could of been of course and we don't know about it.

LaRae

IIRC it's been several years since Harry was seen at Balmoral. He could of been of course and we don't know about it.

LaRae

Whilst I have no specific "inside" knowledge on this, this could well be because Meghan does not like Balmoral.

LaRae

Whilst I have no specific "inside" knowledge on this, this could well be because Meghan does not like Balmoral.

Harry hasn't been seen at Balmoral longer than he has known Meghan.

Mature people who marry generally ‘get with the program’ and spend time with the in-laws regardless of where they are. It’s an investment in the solidity of a marriage, and Megan hardly seems like the sort who would whine and complain. Of course they will be/have been invited, and of course they will go.

There's nothing indicating she doesn't like Balmoral. Reportedly they went there at least once while dating and we have seen past comments (posted here previously) made by Meghan about liking the country. They chose to live in the Cotswolds well away from town...and then again instead of living in London they live at Windsor. Then there is the activity in remote locations to include stays in pretty primitive settings...pre-Harry as well.

LaRae

There's nothing indicating she doesn't like Balmoral.

I agree, but then again, it may well just be co-incidental that Harry does not appear to go to Balmoral any more. Or that he does go to Balmoral, and just does not go to church. All very possible.

They chose to live in the Cotswolds well away from town...and then again instead of living in London they live at Windsor.

The Cotswolds and Balmoral are very, very different places.

Mature people who marry generally ‘get with the program’ and spend time with the in-laws regardless of where they are. It’s an investment in the solidity of a marriage, and Megan hardly seems like the sort who would whine and complain. Of course they will be/have been invited, and of course they will go.

One would hope that is indeed the case here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but then again, it may well just be co-incidental that Harry does not appear to go to Balmoral any more. Or that he does go to Balmoral, and just does not go to church. All very possible.

The Cotswolds and Balmoral are very, very different places.

Since he hasn't been seen at Balmoral (according to pics and comments I've seen) before Meghan then it seems likely she has nothing to do with this.

Yes I realize the Cotswolds and Balmoral are very different...they are still what I would consider rural ..not in the city/suburbs.

LaRae

Did William attend Balmoral in years leading up to his wedding? I very much doubt it. And as someone else stated upthread a kind of maturity kicks in after marriage which Harry proves time and again demonstrating how far he has grown up and learned from past mistakes. The Sussexes esp Meghan would view it as being rude to turn down an invitation from tq unless something urgent crops up.

I also can’t see the Sussex family hiding away indoors if they do visit, hopefully we will see some snapshots ?

Last edited:
With the anniversary of Diana's death the end of this week, I don't look for Harry and Meghan to go to Balmoral now until after August 31. I believe Harry & William often/usually visit her burial site on the anniversary.

Exactly. Can someone even remember the last time he was there? I can't. Please inform me though. Interesting how everything always falls back on Meghan.

Anyways, not sure if they will go. I guess we shall see.

Last edited:
He must have visited Balmoral during the time of Zara’s wedding. So then? Before that it’s teenage year pictures.

Well, we know he was there in August of 1997. Perhaps the associations are just too painful.

He must have visited Balmoral during the time of Zara’s wedding. So then? Before that it’s teenage year pictures.

Why? Zara's wedding was in Edinburgh, over 100 miles from Balmoral.

I found one photo of the Queen and Prince Philip with Zara, William, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie that said it was 1999 at Balmoral. I haven't been able to confirm this yet.

Why? Zara's wedding was in Edinburgh, over 100 miles from Balmoral.

I'm just saying to be up there, and not be 400+ miles away it makes sense to have visited his grandmother at Balmoral. But :ermm:

The Cambridges have apparently flown home from Aberdeen on Logainair, the plane they should have flown on to start with ;);) There are no new photos DailyMail has just recycled last weeks one. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom