Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, perhaps next summer an invitation will be extended to the Sussexes, too. Their absence amongst other major family members at Balmoral for the second year running stands out like a sore thumb, no two ways about it.

What makes you think they have not been invited, not everybody goes the same weekend. ?

Oh well, perhaps next summer an invitation will be extended to the Sussexes, too. Their absence amongst other major family members at Balmoral for the second year running stands out like a sore thumb, no two ways about it.

There is no reason or evidence to believe they were not invited. The family visits balmoral at different times. Harry was attending the rugby finals yesterday, one of the reasons they would not be in Scotland today.

Zara and the Yorks are also not there. It's not lack of invitation.

There is no reason or evidence to believe they were not invited. The family visits balmoral at different times. Harry was attending the rugby finals yesterday, one of the reasons they would not be in Scotland today.

We never know just who is invited when to Balmoral. Its the Queen's down time and not for public consumption. Same with Birkhall and staying with Charles and Camilla.

For all we know, the Sussex family may have decided to make a touring trip of it and drive to Balmoral. Twice. Without anyone the wiser. They could have stayed at Birkhall and Balmoral or even the Castle of Mey and we'd not know about it.

Not every move that is made during private down time is required to be put into the public domain. :D

Who says they weren't invited? There is no reason to think the Queen would not invite all her grandchildren. Zara and her family are not there either, York girls missing too. Doesn't mean they weren't invited.

LaRae

Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. Major royals as in senior ‘working royals’ were in attendance - but not the Sussexes. :sad:

By the way, neither the York girls nor Zara are working royals, as in working on behalf of the ‘crown’/queeni. :ermm: (they also each had representation there at some point this summer in parents who ARE working royals.

I am not suggesting that Meghan/Sussexes are being deliberately snubbed by tq or anything of the sort but it doesn’t seem right whichever way I try to look at it. Meghan was married in the spring just last year after all, and still hasn’t been there or so it seems. JMO :sad:

I’m done here.

Last edited:
I think the point that you're missing, Lady Reem, is that the summer hiatus at Balmoral is the Queen's down time. What happens at Balmoral, stays at Balmoral and its never published or included in the court circular unless, for some reason, the Queen goes into "Queen mode".

The family that gathers for a visit at any time are not there as the hierarchy of the "Firm" or classified as working royals or non-working royals. They come to spend time with their mom and dad and Granny and Gan-Gan or Aunt Lilibet.

The Queen always hosts a Ghillies Ball during her Balmoral stay. Everyone participates down to the cooks and the maids and the staff and protocol and class and precedence is forgotten. This is a good article that describes just how much the Queen enjoys her Scottish castle. :D

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/culture/a22884050/queen-gillies-ball-balmoral-dance/

A nice family gathering today for the Sunday Church Service at Crathie Kirk.

York girls were in Balmoral few weeks ago.

Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. Major royals as in senior ‘working royals’ were in attendance - but not the Sussexes. :sad:

By the way, neither the York girls nor Zara are working royals, as in working on behalf of the ‘crown’/queeni. :ermm: (they also each had representation there at some point this summer in parents who ARE working royals.

I am not suggesting that Meghan/Sussexes are being deliberately snubbed by tq or anything of the sort but it doesn’t seem right whichever way I try to look at it. Meghan was married in the spring just last year after all, and still hasn’t been there or so it seems. JMO :sad:

I’m done here.

I think some posters put too much emphasis on heirarchy and precedence :ermm:

This is the queen's private summer holidays. She is up there for a good chunk of the summer and different family members join her through the summer. Some are titled, some are not, some are working royals, some are not. The emphasis and importance is they are Family.

We have no idea if Meghan has been there or not. The only time we see them usually is at church. Its rare we catch sight of them arriving in Aberdeen. I find it unlikely Meghan has never been to Balmoral since they got married.

And again Harry had an event for rugby yesterday afternoon. One of the obvious reasons they wouldnt be there this weekend.

York girls were in Balmoral few weeks ago.

I know. And just emphasizes my point that royals come throughout the summer.:flowers:

I was responding to a post that made it sound like this weekend was some big family reunion and the Sussexes were not invited. Just pointing out there were other close family members who didnt come this weekend either.

Anyways it was nice to see so many out to church this morning. This is the family holiday for the royals I would love to be a part of. The area is beautiful, I'd spend as much time as possible.

Meghan’s a city slicker. It maybe as simple as she doesn’t want to spend time in Scotland. They didn’t go to Balmoral last year and maybe it’s not their cup of tea.

Of course the Sussex's were invited - for all we know they have been already or will be going in a few day. Every member of the family is invited by the Queen, even Sarah Ferguson is invited even if that means fitting her in when Philip is not there so of course the Sussex's are invited.
This week happened to be when William and Catherine attended. Charles and Camilla have been there for weeks (with the odd interruption for duties/holidays overseas) and attend church every week as does the Queen. Saying every senior royal was there is not fair, at some point they were going to be because the Queen and Charles&Cam are there all the time. I'm sure the Sussex's knew when others were visiting and if they wanted to visit at the same time they could of, I can't see HM ever turning anyone away. I believe the focus is always on making sure the school aged children are accommodated in the school summer holidays, the Sussex's do not yet have any children of that age but again that is not to say they were not invited or would not have been welcome at anytime.

Things like this work both ways - an invitation has to be made to attend (and I'm sure an open invitation is always there) but it also has to be accepted. You can't blame the Queen, Charles, William, Kate or even the corgi's for the Sussex's not attending if they choose not to.

Seems like I remember an article talking about how The Sussexes went to Balmoral while they were dating.

LaRae

Meghan’s a city slicker. It maybe as simple as she doesn’t want to spend time in Scotland. They didn’t go to Balmoral last year and maybe it’s not their cup of tea.

I don't think that's quite accurate. She's talked in the past about liking the country spaces. We don't know when they've been to Balmoral ..you can assume they haven't been ...but they are pretty good flying under radar most of the time.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen will be at Balmoral for more than another month.

With so many of the younger royals now having school aged children she has to have them up in August as they have to be back south for the start of the school year.

I would therefore expect the Sussexes to go up in September, probably for Harry's birthday, as they don't have school aged children and so there is no need for them to be in London/Windsor in early September.

Photos of preparations at the lodge Meghan and Harry are being reported as going to be staying at Lady Reem -

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/23/harry-meghan-wont-joining-wills-kate-balmoral-castle-10619188/

Watch out for those bees Archie.

Of course they didnt fail to bring up the two big subjects

1. That it is a sign of the ongoing feud with Cambridges, that they have been banished to the remote rustic cabin not main home :whistling:

2 And the expensive private jet flights and eco talk

Seems contrary points. Either they are not staying at the main lodge because they are on bad terms with the Cambridges, or they are not staying there because they want to show they can be thrifty. I guess it doesnt have to be contrary. Technically they could stay at Birkhall with Charles to avoid the Cambridges, but chose the rustic lodge to be economic.

The whole economic is a joke. They are staying at a home privately owned by the queen. Its not like Balmoral is a luxury hotel to pay for. Could argue it might be more expensive security wise to have them at an outer cottage and not at the main well secured home.

:previous: interesting that the article alleges the ‘Middleton parents’ are at the big house, yet we did not see photos of them attending church or disembarking from the now infamous commercial plane that William & family arrived on.

The Queen will be at Balmoral for more than another month.

With so many of the younger royals now having school aged children she has to have them up in August as they have to be back south for the start of the school year.

I would therefore expect the Sussexes to go up in September, probably for Harry's birthday, as they don't have school aged children and so there is no need for them to be in London/Windsor in early September.

Exactly. With the Phillips, Tindalls and Cambridges having to work around the school start date, this is a convenient time for them to visit Balmoral.

Exactly. With the Phillips, Tindalls and Cambridges having to work around the school start date, this is a convenient time for them to visit Balmoral.

I am sure the family would have had a great time together, with the Queen, Philip, C&C, the Cambridges, Anne and family and the Wessex' all up at Balmoral.

It is a pity that H&M are not there (or perhaps they are there, and just not pictured going to church for whatever reason), they may well have enjoyed the family get together. For Meghan who did not grow up with a large family around her, this could have been a unique experience: the fun, the noise, the pressures, the compromises, the sulks, the bonhomie and camaraderie......

Last edited:
Didnt Meghan get that at Sandringham over the last two Christmases?

Didnt Meghan get that at Sandringham over the last two Christmases?

Sandringham at Christmas is probably a very different environment from Balmoral at August: informal, lots outdoors, far more relaxed....

And the Wessexes.

The Tindalls are not currently at Balmoral. Zara is at the Wellington Horse Trials in Hampshire.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how roomy Balmoral is, so, along with their schedules, the family have to take turns visiting. It would be nice if the whole family could be there all at the same time and release a summer family picture like their European counterparts. Of course I’m just dreaming though.

Perhaps the remote wilds of Scotland don't appeal to the Duchess of Sussex ? Its certainly 'not for everyone' - Shooting/Fishing/Deer stalking are certainly 'minority' interests, and there is little else to do [other than endless 'walks', or riding] on a Scottish Sporting Estate !

Do we know if the Duchess rides ?

The Duke's mother LOATHED Balmoral .

Last edited:
So apparently did Queen Mary and Princess Margaret, among other royals. And how do we know Kate for instance fishes and rides horses at Balmoral?

And if Meghan disliked the British countryside so much it's a wonder that the Sussexes chose a Cotswolds farmhouse to live in for several months after marriage, as well as Windsor for that matter, over KP.

^ Aberdeenshire is far removed [in every respect] from the Cotswolds - it isn't 'smart', doesn't appeal to Londoners [much], and there is no nipping to interesting shops , as there are no equivalents to Cirencester or Cheltenham.

If one isn't 'sporty' its very dull indeed...

So apparently did Queen Mary and Princess Margaret, among other royals. And how do we know Kate for instance fishes and rides horses at Balmoral?

And if Meghan disliked the British countryside so much it's a wonder that the Sussexes chose a Cotswolds farmhouse to live in for several months after marriage, as well as Windsor for that matter, over KP.

Possibly because they want to avoid the attentions of the press....

Harry and Meghan conducted their courtship on the royal estates, so they’ve been up to Balmoral. It’s just up to their schedule, I would guess.

Harry and Meghan conducted their courtship on the royal estates, so they’ve been up to Balmoral. It’s just up to their schedule, I would guess.
I thought that they met up at Windsor.. or he went to the US/Canada....

It was said that Harry and Meghan visited the Queen at Balmoral in the autumn of 2017, after Africa. And Meghan does ride. There were photos of her on horseback that she posted on her blog The Tig, when it was around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom