The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just looking at the Succession the the Crown Act wiki page and;

Quote:
The first reading of the bill in the House of Lords took place on 29 January 2013. The bill passed second reading on 14 February 2013 and was reviewed by committee on 28 February 2013. The report stage was on 13 March 2013, and the third reading is scheduled for 22 April.
I'm intrigued that this didn't make a fuss though;
Quote:
On 21 January 2013, the House of Lords Constitution Committee published a report opposing the Government's plan to fast-track the bill, citing the legislation's "constitutional significance" and "possible unintended consequences."

Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal baby bill nears final vote despite U.K. changes - Politics - CBC News

Canada appears set to become the first Commonwealth nation to pass legislation changing the laws of succession, although some Liberal Senators are questioning the rush since it has not been passed in the UK and that there are Uk amendments to the original act. I think the Liberal Senators are correct, there is no good reason to pass a Bill that may require amendments almost as soon as it is passed. It seems sloppy but the PM apparently does not want his own parliamentary agenda slowed down by debate on this bill.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Canada appears set to become the first Commonwealth nation to pass legislation changing the laws of succession...
There have been a fair number of critiques to the way the PM is handling it here. In rushing it, and not discussing things with the provinces he's risking a constitutional crisis.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I know Quebec thought they should have been consulted but haven't read about any other province being too upset. I don't think there is a risk of constitutional crisis I just think it is silly to rush through an act of Parliament that has yet to be passed in its final form by Westminster and that Ottawa may have to go back and amend in the fall session. There is no good reason to rush it at all. Even if Baby Cambridge is a girl that doesn't present a problem unless Baby Cambridge 2 is a boy and that event is likely 2 or 3 yrs away if it happens at all.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Majesty

The Succession To The Crown Bill is set to become law sometime next week after it finishes its final stage in Parliament and goes off for Royal Assent:
Succession To The Crown Bill Set To Become Law Next Week
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Majesty

It doesn't take effect though until passed in the other realms. Canada and NZ, I believe has started the process but none of the others.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It doesn't take effect though until passed in the other realms. Canada and NZ, I believe has started the process but none of the others.
Section 5 of the latest version I can find provides:
"Commencement and short title
(1) This section comes into force on the day on which this Act is passed.
(2) The other provisions of this Act come into force on such day and at such time as the Lord President of the Council may by order made by statutory instrument appoint.
(3) Different days and times may be appointed for different purposes.
(4) This Act may be cited as the Succession to the Crown Act 2013."

I find sub-section 4 interesting and wonder what they have in mind.

Queensland has started the ball rolling here by introducing its Succession to the Crown Bill 2013, on the basis it considers each State has to pass its own legislation here. As far as I know, no other State has done anything yet.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It does take effect in UK.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Majesty

Qld does believe that each of the states have to do so but the federal government disagrees I believe. I think that they could easily be waiting until after the baby is born and if it is a boy simply put the whole thing on the backburner. As far as I am aware the other states don't think they have to also pass the legislation - which could lead to a High Court ruling having to be made on the constitutionality of Qld's decision (which I have read is on the cards after Qld has passed - that the federal government will be using this issue to define State's rights - not the issue itself but the fact that Qld sees itself as a separate Crown to the federal government).

The federal parliament goes into its winter recess on 27th June and has a 6 week break - taking it to mid-August and will return basically to dissolve the parliament in the lead up to the September election.

So if not passed in the next 9 weeks or so it will be left to the new government to even introduce the legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
It does take effect in UK.
No it doesn't as that could see different children being heirs to different crowns at the same time.

If William and Kate have a girl first and then a boy and the legislation has only past in the UK but no where else and everyone dies the daughter would be Queen of the UK and the boy King of the other realms.

It was agreed at the time that it wouldn't take effect until it had passed all the other realms for that very reason.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
So if not passed in the next 9 weeks or so it will be left to the new government to even introduce the legislation.
What are the chances of the law being passed in the next nine weeks?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Nobility

When they want something done, you would be surprised how quickly things can get done.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Majesty

Nil

The next nine weeks will be taken up with legislation on the books and the new budget.

This legislation will pass in Australia - just not as fast as elsewhere and if the federal government do argue the constitutionality of the Qld legislation before passing it at federal level it could be years not weeks or months.

The issue itself isn't a big deal here but rather the issue of Qld deciding that it is a separate Crown in its own right - which also raises the issue of a republic - does that also have to be voted on in each state or could we end up with a republic at federal level but monarchies as state level - or even vice versa - a state holds a referendum on being a republic first (a friend of my late father's who specialies in constitutional law argued back in 1999 exactly that. That of course is only one person's opinion and others disagree but...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Nobility

The Queen wants it, she is very popular now, as is D&D of Cam. It does not affect anyone but the baby, and that's only if it is a girl. QE became queen after a few "What Ifs" actually took place. She wants to know that this will not happen again. The Cornwall & Cambridge issues will be fixed as it becomes necessary. Right now the Queen wants to know that a girl will not be pasted over.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Nobility

It only really becomes an issue when the Cambridges have a second baby. The first baby will be next in line under current legislation even if it is a girl. If a daughter gets a baby brother that's when it becomes a problem.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Majesty

She can want all she likes but as we live in democracies she has to wait until each of the different democracies go through their respective processes.

She can't order us to do anything - not can Britain anymore.

Each realm is totally separate and is in personal union with the monarch and that is all.

British laws don't apply in any of the other realms.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
The Queen wants it, she is very popular now, as is D&D of Cam. It does not affect anyone but the baby, and that's only if it is a girl. QE became queen after a few "What Ifs" actually took place. She wants to know that this will not happen again. The Cornwall & Cambridge issues will be fixed as it becomes necessary. Right now the Queen wants to know that a girl will not be pasted over.
I'm not sure which "What Ifs" you are referring to. Before the abdication, it was never expected that Princess Elizabeth would become Queen. If George VI had a son, he would have displaced both Elizabeth and Margaret but I don't think anyone expected this. The Queen Mother didn't have easy pregnancies.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think those are exactly the what ifs. What if David abdicates and Bertie takes the throne, what if Bertie becomes king and never has a son.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
It only really becomes an issue when the Cambridges have a second baby. The first baby will be next in line under current legislation even if it is a girl. If a daughter gets a baby brother that's when it becomes a problem.
Even then, there are still two heirs ahead of that baby, so there's still time. The change is retroactive to October 2011 no matter what happens between the agreement and its coming into force.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Majesty

The only problem would be if the Cambridges go girl and then boy and The Queen, Charles and William all die before the legislation passes in all realms as regardless of when the laws are backdated to, if they aren't passed they don't come into effect and once the boy, in that scenario, is King he can't be made to give it up for his older sister.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 AM
Nobility

More "What If's". Did I say anything about "Forcing" or "Laws"? I guess I should have said "wants", "desires", "it would please her" to have this past.