The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
it's absolutely new territory. All previous British abdication included renouncement of succesion rights for all descendents. So, indeed, Andrew would succeed Charles.
In modern world Charles' or William's abdication will require new laws.
Very good point. I didn't stop to think that an abdication by Charles would affect his own descendants' right to the throne. We're veering off topic here but I don't think this issue will ever be a cause for worry. Nil. Never. Uh-huh. No way, no sir, no ma'am. Charles is prepared, able and more than willing to step up to be King

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Please forgive my not going back and reading all 55 pages of this thread. I am coming late to the discussion. My question is: Is the Catholic barrier now removed and if so, are all those who were removed because of this, mainly Kents, now back in? I thought so, but I have read some things that make me not so sure and I know you guys will know.

Thanks, Ana

Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Von Cleves View Post
Please forgive my not going back and reading all 55 pages of this thread. I am coming late to the discussion. My question is: Is the Catholic barrier now removed and if so, are all those who were removed because of this, mainly Kents, now back in? I thought so, but I have read some things that make me not so sure and I know you guys will know.

Thanks, Ana

The barrier to those who marry Catholics is removed. The barrier to those who are Catholics is still in place. So, Prince Michael of Kent is back in the succession, as is the Earl of Saint Andrews, however the Earl's elder children are still barred on account of being Catholics.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
it's absolutely new territory. All previous British abdication included renouncement of succesion rights for all descendents. So, indeed, Andrew would succeed Charles.

Actually, it is up to Parliament to decide. Th order of succession can be officially changed only by an act of Parliament. When Edward VIII abdicated, he had no children and was suceeded by his brother (the present queen's father). The act of Parliament that gave effect to the abdication also removed any future descendants of King Edward VIII from the line of succession to prevent any future challenge to the King George VI's legitimacy should Edward VIII ever had issue. In William's case, I cannot imagine a scenario where Parliament would also remove him from the line of succession if his father abdicated.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Gentry

Ok, that clears up my confusion. Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

This isn't absolutely new territory, and the idea that an abdication is for an entire line in every situation is false.

Edward VIII's descendants were barred from the succession because his abdication was officially directly related to his choice of wife. John Balliol and Richard II both abdicated without their descendants being explicitly barred from the succession, but their heirs were displaced by usurpers. Mary of Scots and Edward II were both forced to abdicate and were succeeded by their heirs, while James II kind of abdicated and Parliament chose which of his children got to be the heir.

Abdications that explicitly bar a line from succeeding tend to be done because there is some apparent problem with the line - wrong religion, wrong heritage - or because there is a political upheaval and a line is being overthrown.

If Charles were to abdicate it wouldn't displace his sons or grandchildren from the line of succession in any way - no more than Juan Carlos I or Albert II abdicating prevented their sons from inheriting their thrones.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly Ish.

If Charles abdicated, unless there were serious reasons to also remove William, George, Princess and Harry, the succession would carry on as normal.

Abdications, now require legislation in all the various realms as well and there is no way that they would approve the removal of someone who is a known person, unless that person also wished to be removed so even if Charles and William asked to be removed they couldn't remove George until he is 18 and old enough to ask for himself. They could remove any future children but not those already here.

With Edward VIII a major reason for removing future children was exactly that - they weren't already born to a legitimate marriage. Charles' heirs are here and from a legitimate marriage, able to take over etc.

As for the new law and those married to Roman Catholics - yes they are now back in the line of succession but not those who are actually Roman Catholics. That means Prince Michael is back in but not Lord Nicholas who converted to Roman Catholicism.

The DM line of succession I saw yesterday was missing a number of people - not to mention had Mr Michael Tindall in the line rather than Mrs Michael Tindall.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Look at the Romanov family of Russia. Lots of sticky points there due to (sometimes forced) abdications.

LaRae
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

You can't compare one country to another though as there are different laws in place to cover different eventualities. What may be able to happen in one country could very well not be allowed in another.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 AM
Nobility

Succession changes being challenged in Canada

British royal succession law will be contested in Quebec court Monday
Old 06-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
MONTREAL — Two law professors are going to ask a Quebec court Monday to quash the Harper government’s move to change a federal law dealing with succession in the British monarchy.

In 2011 the leaders of 16 commonwealth countries agreed to change the succession rules to allow the eldest heir to take the Throne whether male or female.

Before the change, if the eldest child was a woman, she would have been passed over in favour of her brother.

The Harper government made the change by a simple federal law in 2013.

But University of Laval law professors Patrick Taillon and Geneviève Motard said it was a change to Canada’s constitution that should have required the consent of the provinces, which Prime Minister Harper never sought
More: Quebec law profs declare federal monarchy succession law ‘unconsitutional’ | Globalnews.ca
Old 06-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

We have to wait and see what the Canadian courts will say, but, in the worst case scenario, Canada will have a different line of succession for a while ( at least until the Succession Act is passed "properly", i.e. with the consent of all 10 provinces). The first person affected by the new rules is, however, currently number 29 in the line of succession. In practical terms then, there will be minimal impact if the new law does not apply immediately to Canada.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
We have to wait and see what the Canadian courts will say, but, in the worst case scenario, Canada will have a different line of succession for a while ( at least until the Succession Act is passed "properly", i.e. with the consent of all 10 provinces). The first person affected by the new rules is, however, currently number 29 in the line of succession. In practical terms then, there will be minimal impact if the new law does not apply immediately to Canada.

In the worst case scenario the courts allow Harper's disregard of the constitution to stand....

Best case scenario is the courts agree that the way the law was passed violates the constitution and the Canadian federal and provincial governments implement the change in a way that doesn't invalidate Canadian sovereignty while also not pushing Canadian republicanism.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The current hearing in a Quebec Superior Court over how someone gets to be King or Queen of Canada is a case that monarchists, such as myself, find fascinating, but would rather not by taking place in the public spotlight.

If the court decides that the Harper government acted correctly two years ago when it changed the succession rules with a simple act of Parliament to say that Canada will do what the British do, people who think the monarchy in Canada is no more than an ongoing, unacceptable relic of our colonial past will say, “Aha!”

If the court says — as ultimately I hope it does — that the monarchy in Canada is not the same as the monarchy in Britain or anywhere else, and the succession rules for this country can only be changed in this country by a constitutional amendment requiring the assent of Parliament and all 10 provincial legislatures, we will trigger the four most paralyzing words in our political lexicon: opening up the Constitution. In this case, too, the republican hounds will be unleashed in a dreary, baying debate over whether Canada should retain the monarchy at all.
More: Michael Valpy: Who takes the Crown? | National Post
Old 03-12-2016, 06:55 AM
Majesty

Heirs in line to succeed the Queen include 'miracle worker' who talks to angels | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Serene Highness

Well, it seems like the only one on this list, who has any chance of getting near a throne, must be Märtha Louise. And even with her, we're talking about the Norwegian throne and not the British one. It is very interesting though to see how little you have to care of your "royal reputation", when you end up so low down on the list.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the text about Succession on the royal.uk site has been updated from the old royal.gov site.

In any case, the discussion of Parliament's role is lucidly and emphatically explained. https://www.royal.uk/succession

The Mrs. Michael Tindall made me chuckle.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It might make you chuckle, but it makes me fume and swear and want to throw things.

Isn't that archaic notion of a married woman's identity being subsumed within that of her husband long past its use-by date? Why do women tolerate it any longer?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

If it is that way for the wife of an untitled person why allow wives of peers to take their husband's titles?

It is the formal way of doing it of course but if it changes then we have to take away all references to a wife's status coming from her husband so Kate goes back to being Ms Catherine Middleton as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge is simply her style as the wife of HRH The Duke of Cambridge - different styles but same principle.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Make the changes across the board. That would be fine with me. It's all archaic and unjust. The whole system of royalty and peerage is archaic and unjust, but my main grievance is with the way married women lose their own identity and are treated differently than married men, and - particularly - how readily most people so readily accept it. This all goes back to the outdated doctrine of coverture that I rattle on about so much.

Coverture is no longer a part of the law, so why do women, for formal purposes, still lose their own identity when they marry? And why is it fair for a woman who marries a royal to become an HRH princess automatically when a man who marries a royal woman is not treated the same way. If the elevated status were due to marriage alone, it would work both ways, but it doesn't. It's unjust and unfair. In this respect, Philip and Henrik are right. But, of course, the sort of woman who marries a prince, or, perhaps, the sort of woman a prince is going to be prepared to marry, will not be a feminist who will reject the "HRH Princess" style and all that goes with it.

It's all about a married couple becoming the one legal person on marriage, and that person is the husband, not the wife. That is no longer the case under the law; it only lives on in social tradition. Women now have complete equality under the law, so why on earth do they allow themselves to lose their identity this way, and be formally referred to as Mrs (husband's name). It's high time that a married woman was at least able to be known as Mrs (if she chooses) (her first name) (husband's surname, if she chooses to use it). That form should not be reserved only for divorced women, but would give a woman the option to take her husband's surname but retain her own first name as part of her formal name. And why should a woman's name indicate her marital status? Married men use the same style they had when they were single; they are not tagged as married, so why should a woman be tagged that way with "Mrs"?