The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Well succession to a foreign crown isn't of importance to many Australians, even those who consider that the existing position to be discriminatory and unjust. The issue of an Australian republic is, however, of interest to a lot of us, republicans and monarchists alike. The republic is an Australian issue.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Well, as long as the British monarch technically is the regent of Australia, people should be interested in the succession issue. But I guess that many Australians hardly remember that they are part of the Commonwealth.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Are there any firm recent statistics on yes/no votes for the monarchy?

I just think if enough people want a referendum then one should be brought forward. For instance in Scotland, agreements went through parliament in Nov 2013, and the vote was less than a year later.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Well, as long as the British monarch technically is the regent of Australia, people should be interested in the succession issue. But I guess that many Australians hardly remember that they are part of the Commonwealth.
Why should the average Australian be interested in the succession issue? It is legislation which only affects one privileged foreign family living on the other side of the world and is only being enacted in the various Australian States and our Federal parliament because the consensus among legal and constitutional scholars is that it has to be done this way in order for the legislation in Britain, where it matters, to be effective.

Our Constitution provides that the executive power of the Commonwealth of Australia is vested in the British monarch and exercised by the Governor-General as the British monarch's representative. In reality, the identity of the British monarch from time to time doesn't matter a hoot here, because that person has no real involvement in the day to day running of our country and is irrelevant to our national identity.

I suspect most Australians know we are members of the British Commonwealth. We participate in the Commonwealth Games, and most Australians are quite interested in sport so that is information that is relevant to them. In fact the next Commonwealth Games are being held in Australia! But we can still be a member of the British Commonwealth as a republic and I am sure we will continue to do so when the time comes.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Most Australians don't care at all about the British royals or any other royals other than as a bit of fluff entertainment from time to time.

They aren't relevant to us on a day to day basis.

We get along quite well when they aren't here.

When Harry is here next month he will get coverage - in the media particularly the women's gossip magazines because they cover celebrities and that is what they are to us - celebrities - no different to pop stars or film stars.

It is just a matter of who is the celebrity visiting us this month - they will all get the coverage.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Commoner

So now that Australia's succession bill has received Royal Assent, does anyone have an idea when each country's succession act will be (simultaneously) proclaimed in each of the respective realms?

I wonder if they will try and do it before the UK parliament is dissolved on Monday for the election or will they wait until the court challenges in Canada are completed, which may well take years.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
Not, I hope, in my lifetime. I don't think the issue is as relevant (whatever that means) to Australians as republicans would like us to think. Republicans missed their chance in 1999, and you can't keep having referendums until the "right" answer gets through. Opinion polls do not show an overwhelming demand, or even a simple majority, for change. Republicans still haven't chosen a (new) preferred model, let alone a draft of the proposed changes to the constitution (or a draft new constitution). Until I see something concrete to consider, I must say the whole issue tends to bore me now, going, as it does, endlessly over the same old ground.
Exactly. A referendum was held not so long ago (1999). The issue as I see it, was thus settled for at least a generation.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Leaside View Post
So now that Australia's succession bill has received Royal Assent, does anyone have an idea when each country's succession act will be (simultaneously) proclaimed in each of the respective realms?
I wonder if they will try and do it before the UK parliament is dissolved on Monday for the election or will they wait until the court challenges in Canada are completed, which may well take years.
Well, there is no hurry as Prince George will be the heir anyway.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

The "ratification" process has now been completed in all Commonwealth realms. AFAIK, there is only one outstanding court challenge in Canada, which is likely to be heard in Quebec in June 2015 and, probably, will also fail like the previous one moved in the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Exactly. A referendum was held not so long ago (1999). The issue as I see it, was thus settled for at least a generation.
A generation is regarded as a period of 20 years and the referendum was 16 years ago so it is almost a generation since we voted.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Today, taking effect on the 26th, at least in New Zealand.

Monarchy Succession Updated | Monarchy New Zealand

"Today, at a special meeting of the Executive Council, the Governor-General of New Zealand promulgated the Royal Succession Act Commencement Order 2015. [...] These important updates will take effect from 1 pm on 26 March 2015 (New Zealand daylight time)."

I haven't heard of any other plans. Not that it makes much difference since I think Prince Michael is the nearest person to the throne impacted. 1:00 PM is an oddly specific time though, so I wonder if it's being done to take effect at midnight GMT (New Zealand is 13 hours ahead).
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Not that it makes much difference since I think Prince Michael is the nearest person to the throne impacted.
Tāne and Senna Lewis are are the nearest persons to the throne impacted by this Act. Tāne will move from 28th to 29th place, his sister will move from 29th to 28th.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Today, taking effect on the 26th, at least in New Zealand.

Monarchy Succession Updated | Monarchy New Zealand

"Today, at a special meeting of the Executive Council, the Governor-General of New Zealand promulgated the Royal Succession Act Commencement Order 2015. [...] These important updates will take effect from 1 pm on 26 March 2015 (New Zealand daylight time)."

I haven't heard of any other plans. Not that it makes much difference since I think Prince Michael is the nearest person to the throne impacted. 1:00 PM is an oddly specific time though, so I wonder if it's being done to take effect at midnight GMT (New Zealand is 13 hours ahead).
Yes it is done so that all the realms are coordinated.

Royal Succession Act Commencement Order 2015 (LI 2015/54) Contents – New Zealand Legislation

But oddly, I can't find anything else about any of the other realms announcing that their acts are commencing. (Midnight tonight (start of March 26) in London, 8PM tonight (March 25) in Ottawa, etc).
Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Courtier

They may want it done sooner. If baby C is a girl they may want it done before it becomes necessary, and the descenters will come out of the wood work. I mean necessary as in the D & D become pregnant with a third child, and it is a boy.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Well, there is no hurry as Prince George will be the heir anyway.
Everyone is assuming that because George exists that the issue is no longer relevant for his generation. However toddler George could become afflicted with some fatal disease or die in an accident, and if William & Kate's second child is a girl and Kate becomes pregnant with a third child the issue will be important again.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A small blow was struck for women on Thursday. At 11am, laws came into effect across the Queen’s Realms to change the rules of succession to the throne, with retrospective application back to 2011. Males are no longer favoured over females, so that an older sister will become sovereign ahead of her younger brother.

In a further blow to long-entrenched discrimination, a person will not lose his or her right to succession to the throne for marrying a Catholic.

This does not remove all discriminatory aspects of the rules of succession. Family and religion still play a critical role. A person can only be sovereign if he or she is a Protestant who is “in communion” with the Church of England, and can only inherit the throne if he or she is descended from Sophia, Electress of Hanover. That rules out most of us.
More: Power to the princesses: Australia wraps up succession law changes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Succession to the Crown Commencement Proclamation 2015

Quote:
I, General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Ret’d), Governor‑General of the Commonwealth of Australia, acting with the advice of the Federal Executive Council and under items 3 and 5 of the table in subsection 2(1) of the Succession to the Crown Act 2015, fix the beginning of 26 March 2015 by United Kingdom time as the time and day on which Parts 2, 3 and 4 of, and Schedule 1 to, that Act commence.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Great stuff!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Commencement of Succession to the Crown Act 2013 :Written statement - HCWS490 - UK Parliament
Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@BBCPeterHunt: The Succession to the Crown Act has now come into force. If Kate's baby is a girl she will not be overtaken by any younger brothers.

@BBCPeterHunt: A royal can now marry a Roman Catholic and become monarch. But a Roman Catholic royal still cannot be king or queen.