Succession to the Crown Act 2013, Part 1: 2011 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles is an Anglican, William is more of an Anglican than his father.....

That's an interesting observation because I always had the feeling that William is far less religious than Prince Charles.

I know there have been photographs of Charles and Camilla attending service when they have been at Sandringham without the Queen. Does anyone know whether either attends Church regularly?

The heart often rules the head. It's pretty easy to see a scenario where a RC marries into the RF, accepting the succession rules but whose feelings on the matter may well change. That royal will be sitting in mass, or attending confession, basically being told that their Anglican child is doomed to eternal damnation. That couldn't be easy to live with.

Huh?

I grew up Catholic as well. Most Catholics don't think this way. It's not 1930.

Really, people are talking about Catholics as if they are some "other" The Succession Act is glaringly bigoted. It does not prevent a member of the BRF from marrying any non-Christian. Theoretically Will could have married a Jew, a Hindu or a Muslim. Think of their internal conflicts in allowing the child to be raised Anglican.

I think any person who marries the heir to the throne and others fairly close in line really get the idea that the kids will have to be raised Anglican.

That's an interesting observation because I always had the feeling that William is far less religious than Prince Charles.

I know there have been photographs of Charles and Camilla attending service when they have been at Sandringham without the Queen. Does anyone know whether either attends Church regularly?

Catherine has been photographed many times wearing a cross. I think the couple take their Anglican faith very seriously.

Huh?

I grew up Catholic as well. Most Catholics don't think this way. It's not 1930.

Gracie - we don't fear, and we are not talking about what an individual Catholic might THINK or do - but are talking about the RC Church's response. Much of that policy remains much in the past. They tend to be fairly rigid on the issue of offspring, faith, and doctrine in that regard. I've known too many people denied the sacraments to be sanguine about the RCC being open minded on this issue.

So has Madonna. You can pick them up at any dept store jewellery counter.

But if the entire country is moving away from religion and particularly the Church of England, what mileage and what political points does Catherine score for wearing a cross. I personally believe she is a religious person and you obviously don't
Agree to disagree.

Charles is an Anglican, William is more of an Anglican than his father and William's children will be Anglican. After that the whole institution will worship at the Mosque of England , so really its a moot point.

I actually question whether or not William is actually a Christian - don't know why but get the sense he goes through the motions with no real faith whereas Charles has a real Christian faith.

We know that Charles and Camilla attend church regularly as there are reports of them going to church at Tetbury (near Highgrove), in Scotland, at Sandringham - and from being told personally by one of the ministers at the Queen's Chapel at St James Charles and Camilla are also regular attenders at services in London. She did say, on the other hand, that she had never seen either William or Harry at church except for the big occasions.

So has Madonna. You can pick them up at any dept store jewellery counter.

Point taken, but Madonna is a provocateur and an actor. Kate is not. If she's wearing a cross around her neck during royal duties, I can only conclude she is religious. She comes across to me very much as a what you see what you get kind of person, and as Duke of Earl said, in Britain, she will score no brownie points for wearing that cross.

While I say this I really have no skin in the game on the separation of church and state in Britain. I don't really care whether or not she's religious but it seems to me she must be. But I think that the schism, if and when it occurs, will have some ramifications that can't be dismissed, no matter what side of the coin you are on.

But if the entire country is moving away from religion and particularly the Church of England, what mileage and what political points does Catherine score for wearing a cross.

Maybe none at all. Wearing a cross seems to be a trendy thing for young people these days. It might vary from diocese to diocese, but in my family, wearing a cross was seen as a Catholic thing to do, not something Anglicans did.

Can someone explain the point of having a sovereign in 2013 if the very reason we have the House of Hanover is to uphold the Reformed Protestant Faith.
Call me old fashioned but when someone takes an oath, they should uphold it.
To many monarchists , the office of sovereign is a holy office and to like minded people we do not follow the latest fashions or whatever hairstyle Catherine is rocking. It is a religious office.

From where I sit, QEII is very much the epitome of the Defender of the Faith, is a staunch supporter of the CoE and will always uphold the oaths that she has taken to her dying day. I do not see this changing anytime in the near future nor do I think any sovereign that follows HM will do any different. I know there's been blips abounding about Charles and "Defender of Faiths" but I seriously do not see that coming to pass.

This issue pertains not to a monarch but who the monarch marries and the closest in line to the throne. It will never change that the heir apparent and those close to the throne must be of the CoE, but I would think that in these educated times, there would be no real threat to anyone should a spouse be Roman Catholic and the children who are close to the throne themselves are raised in the CoE. Its not like if one of their parents were RC, they were going to forbid black patent leather shoes for princesses or hand over the Crown regalia to the Vatican. :D

On an aside note, its not as if the CoE and the RCC are poles apart such as Buddhism and Scientology would be. I was raised RC and married a son of a Presbyterian minister. The first time we attended a Presbyterian service with his parents and an Angelican service with his sister, I was totally amazed at how they all were striking similar from the congregational prayers to the hymns.

I wear a cross and I'm an Anglican. I agree most Anglicans don't wear a crucifix but I know many who wear a cross.

But if the entire country is moving away from religion and particularly the Church of England, what mileage and what political points does Catherine score for wearing a cross. I personally believe she is a religious person and you obviously don't
Agree to disagree.

I am not saying Catherine is not a person of faith, I am just saying sometimes a cross is just a piece of jewellery just like a cigar is just a cigar.

Maybe none at all. Wearing a cross seems to be a trendy thing for young people these days. It might vary from diocese to diocese, but in my family, wearing a cross was seen as a Catholic thing to do, not something Anglicans did.

Well, could be. But from what I recall, Kate wears a very simple, unobtrusive cross - kind of the thing someone gets on their confirmation. The trendy crosses these days tend to be more ostentatious. I have a funky pink one I wear from time to time, and I have an Irish celtic necklace that looks like a rosary. They're trendy. Again, it's the simplicity of the piece that suggests she's religious. I find it odd that someone in her position would wear such important symbolism during a royal duty if she were not sending a signal to the world of her religious sentiment.

Again, I don't mind if she's religious or an atheist going through the motions. I am trying to look at her as objectively as possible.

Personally, I think that separation of monarch from church will be a difficult think for Britain, and commonwealth nations. Nobody believes in Divine Right, but still, the separation is part of a slippery slope towards the ordinary. For monarchy to survive, the must maintain the illusion of extraordinary. They are ordinary people, but they must live extraordinary lives.

The British royal family to me has always embodied stability and tradition. I think it's tradition in Britain, as it is in many places, to get upon on Sunday and go off to church in your spiffy clothing. There's many a non-believer who does it, believe it or not, recognizing that tradition, continuity and comfort that comes with attending church and a sense of belonging, a sense of national unity.

Even if the majority of Brits sleep in on Sunday, I think they still want to see the Queen (or the King) get up and go to church. The monarch sets the example. The example here is the importance of family life, tradition and all of the niceties that make up a routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catherine has been photographed many times wearing a cross. I think the couple take their Anglican faith very seriously.

So seriously that Catherine was not even confirmed until she got engaged to Prince William.

How does that question a person faith? We don't know the circumstances around her confirmation.

Last edited:
Well even if the CofE were disestablished there would be nothing to stop the monarch from getting up on Sunday and going to Church.
It is also possible that even if the church were to be disestablsihed she could not take it on as some sort of patronage rather like the RSPCA or any of her other patronages and presidencies that are not part of her state role if she wished and the CofE synod wished it.

The religious issue is moot in Australia as we already have separation of Church and State.

As for Kate wearing a cross as a sign that she has a deep faith - hardly - she only got confirmed a couple of weeks before the wedding and I doubt that she would even have considered to that if she was going to marry anyone else by William. It is an affectation - not a sign of faith in my opinion. I see no evidence of any faith with her at all - or from William.

The only members of the RF I think are committed to their faith are The Queen, Philip (although more to Orthodox than CoE although he will remain CoE as long as The Queen lives but if he outlives her I wouldn't be surprised to see him revert to the faith of his birth), Charles and Camilla. None of the others strike me as having any real faith at all - they attend church because it is the 'done thing' for the royals to go to church on Sundays at Sandringham and Balmoral where there is no way of getting out of it and not having the press notice.

By the way Charles said 'Defender of Faith' singular not plural. He will be Defender of the Faith when he becomes King, unless the parliament repeals the Act that created Henry and all future monarchs Defender of the Faith.

I actually question whether or not William is actually a Christian - don't know why but get the sense he goes through the motions with no real faith whereas Charles has a real Christian faith.

We know that Charles and Camilla attend church regularly as there are reports of them going to church at Tetbury (near Highgrove), in Scotland, at Sandringham - and from being told personally by one of the ministers at the Queen's Chapel at St James Charles and Camilla are also regular attenders at services in London. She did say, on the other hand, that she had never seen either William or Harry at church except for the big occasions.

I agree with you. I really don't think of William as being religious (any religion) at all which makes me question how seriously he would take any oath to defend the faith.

How does that question a person faith? We don't the circumstances around her confirmation.

It just looks as if it were done for appearances sake rather than because there was any commitment especially as there have been no reports of William or Kate attending Church except when on royal duty. Contrast this with the number of tweets of sigtings of Kate at the cinema or shopping in Waitrose.

In this day and age, if either William or Kate stepped inside a church there would be someone tweeting about it.

All opinion based on a bias. Whether Catherine came to her faith late, does not mean she can't be a religious person. It is not up to Charles to be 'Defender of the Faiths' whatever that is. Parliament will decide his Coronation Oath
Charles' track record indicates he is very selective in what he chooses to adhere to and what he turns a blind eye to.

Last edited:
The religious issue is moot in Australia as we already have separation of Church and State.

However do we manage? Surely not having an established church is the end of civilisation as we know it.

All opinion based on a bias. Whether Catherine came to her faith late, does not mean she can't be a religious person. It is not up to Charles to be 'Defender of the Faiths' whatever that is. Parliament will decide his Coronation Oath
Charles' track record indicates he is very selective in what he chooses to adhere to and what he turns a blind eye to.

You have your opinion. I have seen no evidence that either Kate or William do anything more than pay lipservice to any religious faith.

By the way Charles said 'Defender of Faith' singular not plural. He will be Defender of the Faith when he becomes King, unless the parliament repeals the Act that created Henry and all future monarchs Defender of the Faith.

Sometimes you just can't teach an old goat new bleats. You'd think after all these years here I would finally get it right eh? :bang:

All opinion based on a bias.

Opinion based on a fact. It's a mighty strong coincidence that she only chose to get confirmed after she became engaged to the future Defender of Faith/The Faith.

Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.

Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.

Thanks for the info and dose of sanity to the thread.

Opinion based on a fact. It's a mighty strong coincidence that she only chose to get confirmed after she became engaged to the future Defender of Faith/The Faith.

So your opinion is a fact, well that's good to know for future reference.

So your opinion is a fact, well that's good to know for future reference.

No, I did not say my opinion is a fact, I said I have an opinion - regarding Kate's level of commitment to the CofE - based on the fact she was only confirmed shortly before her marriage.

I think that we should get back to the royal debate as in the proposed legislation and avoid personal belief systems and individual royal beliefs. Let's keep a good debate going.

I think that we should get back to the royal debate as in the proposed legislation and avoid personal belief systems and individual royal beliefs. Let's keep a good debate going.

Agreed. Always count on cepe to keep the topic on track

I this this discussion provides a fine example of the very sorts of issues that arise because of the proposed legislation, the impetus for which occurred because of some - and only some - of the inherent inequalities in our system. You cannot really exclude personal belief systems, because the legislation in question relates to issues concerning personal beliefs.

I think we've all played rather well together, actually. We've had a go at politics and religion. Shall we move onto sex now? :lol:

I this this discussion provides a fine example of the very sorts of issues that arise because of the proposed legislation, the impetus for which occurred because of some - and only some - of the inherent inequalities in our system. You cannot really exclude personal belief systems, because the legislation in question relates to issues concerning personal beliefs.

I think we've all played rather well together, actually. We've had a go at politics and religion. Shall we move onto sex now? :lol:

I'd say YES, but this giraffe should head to bed. Oh, wait.....

Back
Top Bottom