The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not really sure if the act having received Royal Assent really means anything. Basically, to quote Wikipedia, "All laws of Canada, both provincial and federal, must conform to the Constitution and any laws inconsistent with the Constitution have no force or effect." This means that even though it's received Royal Assent this law can be considered invalid if it violates the Constitution of Canada - and it arguably does.

The current government is claiming that "The changes to the laws of succession do not require a constitutional amendment. The laws governing succession are UK law and are not part of Canada's constitution," however a 2003 Ontario Superior Court ruling states that the rules of succession are "by necessity incorporated into the Constitution of Canada." Thus the government's claiming that this isn't a constitutional amendment, but precedent states that it is, and if it is changing the constitution then the proper steps haven't been taken. Furthermore aspects of the law itself are in violation of the the constitution. I'm in favour of the changes (I'm even willing to ignore the fact that the discrimination against Catholics is in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms), but I think that in making the change the government should adhere to Canadian law. In not doing so there's a precedent being set.

A better article is here: Changes to royal succession face legal fight in Quebec - The Globe and Mail

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Courtier

I say let Quebec become there own country ( The majority Are French I think?) or give them back to the French. I know it the heaviest Republicanism province in Canada but Quebec (not everybody but most) disrespect to the Queen on Victoria Day sickened me.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I say let Quebec become there own country ( The majority Are French I think?) or give them back to the French. I know it the heaviest Republicanism province in Canada but Quebec (not everybody but most) disrespect to the Queen on Victoria Day sickened me.
Here,here ... excellent idea !
Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Okay...

1. The issue of Quebec separatism is different from the issue of republicanism in Quebec. The majority of people living in Quebec (according to Angus Reid polls) do not wish to separate from Canada, but do wish for more autonomy for Quebec.
2. People living in Quebec are Québécois or French-Canadian and do not desire to be given back to the French. Some wish for an independent nation, others for a more autonomous nation within Canada - the situation is similar to the situation in Wales or Scotland. That they largely speak a dialect of French does not make them a continued part of France.
3. What happened in Montreal on Victoria Day was a republican, pro-separation rally. This does not necessarily represent the views of the Québécois overall, just the views of one group. Furthermore it has nothing to do with the Succession to the Throne Act.
4. You can support the overall change to the succession without supporting the means to the change that the government has taken. I am a Canadian and I am a monarchist. However, I also believe that it is important that Canada maintain its autonomy and it's distinctly Canadian relationship with the crown, and I believe that in failing to adhere to the constitution the government has violated Canada's autonomy. I support the Succession to the Throne Act in theory, but I do not like how my government is disregarding the constitution and ignoring Canadian federalism in the way that it is choosing to pass this act.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Let's pray for a boy, lol.
Prayers will not already help; sex of the baby is already fixed.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

I honestly can't blame William and Catherine if they hope for a boy. Seems like that would be much easier than a firstborn girl. It shouldn't be though, but it seems like it's some headache-inducing issues.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I honestly can't blame William and Catherine if they hope for a boy. Seems like that would be much easier than a firstborn girl. It shouldn't be though, but it seems like it's some headache-inducing issues.
I think the headache inducing issues, at least succession-wise, come about because of the rush to change the laws. It's as if they expect the child to be a girl who is immediately displaced by a younger brother who is then immediately pushed into the throne.

There is no need to rush this act, despite the behaviour of some of the governments suggesting that it is necessary. It isn't necessary for 3 reasons:
1. In order for the Cambridge Baby to become monarch regardless of gender the Queen, Prince Charles, and Prince William all need to die. While the Queen might not be as young as she once was, barring disaster it's unlikely that the three of them are all going to die anytime soon.
2. If the Cambridge Baby is a girl then in order for her to be displaced a male Cambridge Baby would have to be born. Given as Cambridge 1 hasn't been born yet we're looking at at least another year before Cambridge 2 is born. Worrying about the succession issues here is putting the cart before the horse.
3. The law is designed to be retroactive and applies to any birth after 2011. Thus even is Cambridge 1 is a girl and Cambridge 2 is a boy and the law isn't passed until 2018, Cambridge 1 is still going to inherit (unless HM, Charles, and William all die before the law is passed, but after Cambridge 2 is born).
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly, the people communicating this to us are either politicians or so-called royal journalists, none of whom seem to either understand the process, acknowledge the role of the realms, or understand the implications.

We predicted this would happen way back in December.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

I think the reason it was rushed thru was Nick Clegg was pushing it and using baby c as a excuse. If they waited to see what baby c is and he is a boy, do they even bother with it.

I do find it funny that people are talking about fairness regarding the monarchy. That is what makes it a monarchy. It isn't a fair process. If you want to be king/queen conquer a country.

Do people sue Vatican City wanting to make non Catholics pope because it isn't fair that everyone can't be pope?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think the reason it was rushed thru was Nick Clegg was pushing it and using baby c as a excuse. If they waited to see what baby c is and he is a boy, do they even bother with it.

I do find it funny that people are talking about fairness regarding the monarchy. That is what makes it a monarchy. It isn't a fair process. If you want to be king/queen conquer a country.

Do people sue Vatican City wanting to make non Catholics pope because it isn't fair that everyone can't be pope?
There is a no-longer-member who warned us of this. I say, let Canada's bits do as they please. The world will not stop on it's axis and maybe, that is a good thing. Imagine the future Queen stopping everywhere but... where she is not wanted. Oooh, wait - that is, in effect what happens today!

Even better - feminists. please go vacation in Queensland, most of Canada and avoid Quebec. Money talks.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see what the fuss is about. Each country has to go through its own necessary constitutional process. If a countrys government acted improperly or is challenged well there are courts to sort it all out. There is no great need to rush the process along, and certainly not a need to override constitutional requirements or boycotts of realms.
Hopefully Baby Cambridge will be a prince and then everyone can slow down, take a deep breath and act according to their respective laws and constitutions.
By the time William and Baby Cambridge come to the throne I think it is likely that most of the other realms will have become republics anyway.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
3. The law is designed to be retroactive and applies to any birth after 2011. Thus even is Cambridge 1 is a girl and Cambridge 2 is a boy and the law isn't passed until 2018, Cambridge 1 is still going to inherit (unless HM, Charles, and William all die before the law is passed, but after Cambridge 2 is born).
Good point.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

As to the rushing it, that is basically the argument all around, just substitute on PM's name for another. The problem is that in some of the realms this rush is causing for constitutional review. It's one thing to pass a law, it's another thing to violate a realm's constitution in doing so.

As to the fairness, I'm assuming you mean in reference to the Catholic issue. This isn't about the fairness, it's about religious discrimination. The head of a church has to be a member of that church, that makes sense. And in the English sense it makes sense for the monarch to be CoE because the monarch is also the head of the church. However, only in England is there a relationship between monarch and church. In Canada we have a constitutional right to freedom of religion that isn't extended by law to our monarch. That's the problem being argued here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

There is a no-longer-member who warned us of this. I say, let Canada's bits do as they please. The world will not stop on it's axis and maybe, that is a good thing. Imagine the future Queen stopping everywhere but... where she is not wanted. Oooh, wait - that is, in effect what happens today!

Even better - feminists. please go vacation in Queensland, most of Canada and avoid Quebec. Money talks.
What does Australia or Quebec's issues with the change have to do with feminism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about. Each country has to go through its own necessary constitutional process. If a countrys government acted improperly or is challenged well there are courts to sort it all out. There is no great need to rush the process along, and certainly not a need to override constitutional requirements or boycotts of realms.
Hopefully Baby Cambridge will be a prince and then everyone can slow down, take a deep breath and act according to their respective laws and constitutions.
By the time William and Baby Cambridge come to the throne I think it is likely that most of the other realms will have become republics anyway.
I really agree with the first part of what you've said here. I won't debate the likelihood of other realms becoming republics. I think opinions on the matter fluctuate over time, with some realms having a stronger relationship with the monarchy than others.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
What does Australia or Quebec's issues with the change have to do with feminism?
I suspect the the poster's comment arises from the fact the changes are to make male and remove the discrimination in favour of males.

However I welcome the direction to holiday in Queensland. I live a 45 minute drive from the border and I need very little encouragement to nip up there for a bit of a holiday. Port Douglas is particularly nice at this time of year but even Brisbane will do.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. If you were if a first born girl this would be obvious.

2. I understand that major issues with the change are with voicing Commonwealth choice in the matter and the "Catholic Issue."

That said, I find, often that when people vote with the power of their their purchasing as a persuasive element, it has an effect. A mitigating effect. Women should express the power in their purchasing dollars on this issue, IMHO. No more Quebec originated mail order Prescriptions for me!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

So by your reasoning a boycott of the US should have been organized for those states that failed to pass the ERA as a constitutional amendment.

Quebecs issue is that the provinces were not consulted on what they, and many others, view as a constitutional change requiring the approval of all 10 provinces. It is the process used by the federal government not the changes themselves that is objected to.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So by your reasoning a boycott of the US should have been organized for those states that failed to pass the ERA as a constitutional amendment.

Quebecs issue is that the provinces were not consulted on what they, and many others, view as a constitutional change requiring the approval of all 10 provinces. It is the process used by the federal government not the changes themselves that is objected to.
Yes, I have never spent a penny here since then. Or at least not voted for any of those turkeys who did not support the ERA. And yes - I would avoid Quebec for just this reason. You can't cow me, I am a feminist and proud of it. And, again, I am off topic. Mods - SLAP ME! Shutting up now. Jumpy claps, everyone!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Serene Highness

With regards to the Catholic issue, the new law would allow a person in line to marry a catholic and retain his/her right to the crown. The monarch has to be CoE so this only becomes a big deal when the direct heir is involved and the person marrying is unwilling to allow their children to be raised Anglican.

The monarch being head of the Church of England is from Henry VIII. Canada choose to make its head of state the British monarch with full knowledge of the ties of church and state in England. Is the British sovereign a citizen of the UK or the UK, Canada and the rest of the realms? Because if the royals are just UK citizens ( autumn and the girls not counting) the freedom of religion in Canada doesn't apply to them.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

1. If you were if a first born girl this would be obvious.

2. I understand that major issues with the change are with voicing Commonwealth choice in the matter and the "Catholic Issue."

That said, I find, often that when people vote with the power of their their purchasing as a persuasive element, it has an effect. A mitigating effect. Women should express the power in their purchasing dollars on this issue, IMHO. No more Quebec originated mail order Prescriptions for me!
I am a first born girl. The blatant sexism in the protest to the law isn't apparent.

I have no problem with the reform to the succession to allow for absolute primogeniture. Neither, from what I've read, do the people who are trying to block it. Despite that being the main reason behind the law it is not a reason for the blocking of the law.

The problem here is primarily that in enacting this law the Canadian government violated the Canadian constitution. No one is saying that the succession shouldn't be changed to allow for absolute primogeniture, just that in changing the law the government should be adhering to constitutional law. A law made that violated the constitution is not valid - this law violates the constitution, thus it is not valid.

In Canada in order to change the constitution the federal government has to cooperate with the provinces. This has not happened. According to Canadian common law the issue of succession to the Canadian throne is a constitutional matter. To change something that is a constitutional matter the provinces have to be involved. This has not happened. While the law may involve equal gender rights the protest against the way the law was passed has nothing to do with the gender rights that it's promoting.

Furthermore, the law itself also violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In this anyone in Canada has the right to the freedom of religion. However, in restricting the succession to the throne to not allow Catholics to succeed this law is violating that freedom.

Quote:
With regards to the Catholic issue, the new law would allow a person in line to marry a catholic and retain his/her right to the crown. The monarch has to be CoE so this only becomes a big deal when the direct heir is involved and the person marrying is unwilling to allow their children to be raised Anglican.

The monarch being head of the Church of England is from Henry VIII. Canada choose to make its head of state the British monarch with full knowledge of the ties of church and state in England. Is the British sovereign a citizen of the UK or the UK, Canada and the rest of the realms? Because if the royals are just UK citizens ( autumn and the girls not counting) the freedom of religion in Canada doesn't apply to them.
Canada didn't chose to make it's head of state the British sovereign, Canada was a colony that at confederation chose to continue it's relationship with the crown (at the time not doing so wasn't entirely an option, however we have chosen to continue that relationship since then).

The British monarch is not the head of state of Canada. The Canadian monarch is the head of state of Canada, they just happen to be the same individual. The Canadian monarch is a Canadian citizen, and it has been argued (by none other than Prince Philip) that the spouse of the Canadian monarch is also a Canadian citizen.

The monarch of England has to be CoE. The monarch of Canada does not.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The lawsuit isn't even by Quebec. The government of Quebec hasn't made any legal challenges, and I don't think the current government has expressed an opinion on the issue at all. The suit was filed by a few third parties with no connection to the provincial government. I'm not sure it's even a given that they have the standing to sue the government over such an issue.