State Visit from the President of the United States: May 24-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama made a greater faux pas than those mentioned! He addressed the Queen as 'you' throughout his speech. Even Prince Charles addresses his mother in the third person in public! Who wrote that speech?!?

Than we must agree to disagree. Cause I don't like getting kisses from people I don't know...so I am going to go with that faux pas (Jimmy Carter kissing the Queen Mother).:ohmy:

Of course you can. Andrew attended the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee on behalf of his mother in 2007. It's just that Edward and Sophie seem to be the one's who work the Continental circuit for whatever reason.

In addition I believe either Charles or Phillip attended the Henri and Maria Theresa's wedding. I can't remember off hand who was in the picture but they definitely attended solo.

Still I would be a bit sad if I consistently attend such events by myself.

Last edited:
It depends on whose protocol. The band was out of place. It was obvioous he was still speaking. They were rude. And, actually, at dinners a band playing an anthem is ridiculous. He, certainly, didn't let us down.

Of course you can. Andrew attended the King of Thailand's Diamond Jubilee on behalf of his mother in 2007. It's just that Edward and Sophie seem to be the one's who work the Continental circuit for whatever reason.

It is rare though, which I find really bizarre. I was not stating that it has NEVER been done; I was simply saying that it's not done very often. Then again, Andrew may decline all the invitations.

I love the dress Mrs. Obama is wearing.

I like the dress HATE the hair. What is up with that?

Is it me or does the Queen wear white or light colors for evening wear a lot? Any mention of a guest list or other pics?

His words were good but the order was totally wrong.

The band was not wrong when it came in but Obama was wrong in the way he worded his speech - he gave the toast and then kept going - WRONG WRONG WRONG - once he offers the toast he has one thing to do and one thing only - SHUT UP because he has finished. Offering the toast ends the speech - it is that simple. The band is trained to start the anthem on hearing the toast offered - that is their cue and Obama was simply wrong.

It wasn't the band's fault but Obama's and he has to take the blame for not doing things the right way.

I have read a number of people who think that Mrs Obama looked good at the evening function but can anyone tell me when she put on all the weight - she used to look good but that dress made her look overweight and top heavy - far from flattering.

I thinkt that everyone looked & behave wonderful at both events. My only thing is with the 1st ladies Dress. Poor thing she had to fight with it in the wind. Not a fan of jacket either, she still looked great.

& She like me once, spring & summer comes. The sleeves are gone. I can't stand having my arms covered during the hot weather. & she has great arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, how some people can get worked up about something trivial when there was a much more important event going on...

I doubt Catherine needs to be lectured about being too tanned and I also don't think this forum is the right place to discuss things like that :whistling:
bravosmiley.gif

Very well stated.

I like the dress HATE the hair. What is up with that?

Is it me or does the Queen wear white or light colors for evening wear a lot? Any mention of a guest list or other pics?

I not sure I like the hair either. But I guess she wanted to do something different with it. For me, it's not awful but not fantastic either. Still, the dress is a winner for me.

No sign of the Cambridges tonight?:sad:

I think you saw all that you are going to see of the Cambridges.

The photo op allowed them (mainly Catherine) to become familiar with these type of events (State visits), but notice it wasn't live, it also allows the focus to be on the Queen and Obama, because lets face it...there would be a lot of focus on Catherine, her dress, her tiara. She can get that in Canada. This quite different from Diana and Sarah who were just thrown out there. There is going to be a gradual push for William and Catherine.

The President referenced the War of 1812...where the Brits set fire to the White House??!:ohmy:

Please tell me I misunderstood...

Although it was DURING the War of 1812....August of 1814.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Michelle's dress. I would have preferred her hair down though.

The Queen looks nice. It does seem like she wears a lot of white for evening events.

I posted a while back that Edward and Sophie have one of the best deals going in the BRF! :lol:

In a few weeks they will travel to the French Riviera as guests of HSH Albert, probably be put up to stay in the magnificent Hotel de Paris if not the Palace itself, dine on haute cuisine by four star chef Alain Ducasse on a beautiful terrace overlooking the Meditarranean, be treated to wonderful firework displays and concerts...all on Prince Albert's dime!

Wow! The First Lady looks stunning! I had no idea this was going on, thank you. :flowers:

Michelle really brings her "A" game when she dons evening wear...that black off the shoulder gown is SHEER ELEGANT PERFECTION much like the ivory Tom Ford last night...I prefer her in lighter colors to showcase her beautiful skin tone, but why quibble..she looks great!:whistling:

BTW ZaJa...that photo in your avatar is said to have been JFK's favorite picture of his wife...she looks so gorgeous there, and I never realized she had freckles....

Last edited:
If I recall, that was was the cover of Newsweek or Time when Jackie died as well. Its a great picture.

But yes, Michelle does great style in evening wear, I always find her daytime ensembles to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

So no other pictures of tonight's dinner?

Last edited:
Thanks for the new pictures, monic! I didn't know there was another event tonight. Michelle looks fabulous although I'm not a fan on the necklace - too busy for my tastes. I think I was so distracted by the necklace I didn't even notice her hair! I love all outfits from last night as well...I wish it was de rigor here in the US to wear tiaras! I'd love to see Michelle rocking some sparklies!

If I recall, that was was the cover of Newsweek or Time when Jackie died as well. Its a great picture.

But yes, Michelle does great style in evening wear, I always find her daytime ensembles to be a hit or miss kind of thing.

So no other pictures of tonight's dinner?

Zonk...what a MEMORY you have...you are exactly right. TIME used that very photo of Jackie on it's cover the week of her death, and NEWSWEEK used an equally stunning one of her in a raspberry coloured wool suit taken in 1961.

Both magazines got a lot of criticism for choosing photos of her in her youth rather than a more current one, but they were both beautiful. I have both magazines, by the way.

Now I am hearing that the President referred to HM in his speech as "you??" :bang:

Okay...I think we need to sack the entire Office of Protocol. Seriously...what the %^$# are those folks getting paid for??

SACK ALL OF THEM AND HIRE ME!!:lol:

:previous: Yes, he did. I can't IMAGINE what the heck he was thinking of. I've been known to write 2010 in 2011 (even now really not during the month of January) but 2008?!

I have both copies of the Jackie magazines as well. Its a great picture. I've got like 3 tubs of royalty magazines, cut articles about the Kennedys (at least Jackie and JFK's death) and the BRF!

Zonk I am looking for the article entitled "The Kennedys and the Windsors" or something like that...it was in either "Royalty Monthly" or "Majesty" magazine around the time that JKO died...do you know which one I am referring to?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow! The First Lady looks stunning! I had no idea this was going on, thank you. :flowers:
They all look amazing. I will say that I love this Black dress more than the one from last night. I thought that she looked great in the white dress, but the the Opera Gloves just did not do it for me.

I really like Michelle's dress. I would have preferred her hair down though.

The Queen looks nice. It does seem like she wears a lot of white for evening events.
I thought that maybe if her hair was pulled up more on top of her head instead of a Low Bun, but the hair up is good. The White on the Queen ( though she also looked great) it kind of washes her out abit. Some color on the dress or Colored jewels would have been even better.

Michelle really brings her "A" game when she dons evening wear...that black off the shoulder gown is SHEER ELEGANT PERFECTION much like the ivory Tom Ford last night...I prefer her in lighter colors to showcase her beautiful skin tone, but why quibble..she looks great!:whistling:

BTW ZaJa...that photo in your avatar is said to have been JFK's favorite picture of his wife...she looks so gorgeous there, and I never realized she had freckles....
BINGO.

That's just shameful. One would think the man would be knowledgable when it came to proper way of making a speech at a state function. No wonder so many in the world see Americans as uncultured and ill mannered.

All in all, I'm not as embarrassed as when George H.W. Bush threw up on the Japanese prime minister or when Ronald Regan fell asleep while conversing with the Pope.

Not as embarrassed by a LONG shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom