State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think this has anything to do with the media punching down. Meghan is an American citizen and has been outspoken about Trump, so of course the topic would come up.

The topic didn’t just come up. If you listen to the audio, the interviewer kept fishing for bad comments after Trump actually rose above it.

Her Majesty will show us all that this is all just Much Ado about nothing.
HM will show us this is to be a dignified and polite visit on all sides.

What could possibly go wrong!!!

Meghan's comments about Trump were said before her royal life and before he was the President. Trump is a moron for taking the clear bait and then lying about what he said. He didn't say "You interpreted it wrong." He said "I didn't call her nasty" and the audio proved he did. He has been in the public eye way to long to not understand how to say things. That is on him and his team for handling this in the worst possible way.

I agree that this visit will be fine. They will all be on their best behavior because it is expected but there is no denying that there is a big cloud over this visit and his comments did not help. Personally I am glad that Meghan is on maternity leave because if she was not I think her inclusion would have just been insanity for the media. It is already a mess and she not involved at all.

Ivanka has already arrived in London. Has there been any confirmation on the president's family attending the State dinner?

As a reminder, let's keep the discussion on Trump and not get into discussions about the personalities of other US Presidents and let's also steer clear of discussing Meghan's treatment in the media. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ivanka has already arrived in London. Has there been any confirmation on the president's family attending the State dinner?

According to the reports I've read, all four of his grown children (Ivanka and her husband Jared, Don Jr., Eric and Tiffany) will be at the State dinner. Ivanka is also going to be participating in some of the official and ceremonial events.

For the State dinner I would expect the royal ladies to wear tiara's, so I wonder if we will see Melania and Ivanka wear some spectular jewels as well.

His kids have no business attending but then again they do it in the states as well. Not even surprised Ivanka is doing official events.

According to the reports I've read, all four of his grown children (Ivanka and her husband Jared, Don Jr., Eric and Tiffany) will be at the State dinner. Ivanka is also going to be participating in some of the official and ceremonial events.

Is there precedent for this from ANY of the recent US presidents who have had adult children during their time in office?

Nixon?
Ford?
Carter?
Reagan?
Bush I or Ii?

I honestly do not understand why he feels the entire Trump kit and caboodle should be included?:ermm:

The topic didn’t just come up. If you listen to the audio, the interviewer kept fishing for bad comments after Trump actually rose above it.

I should have clarified but that quote was from soapstar

I don't think any president in my memory has brought all of their adult children over.It is going to cost us £32 million but I guess that too will be ignored.

The state visit is to honor the special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom, but I fear that the current president thinks that it's to specifically honor him. That's why he is bringing his four adult children.

Her Majesty has decades of diplomatic experience under her belt. I suspect she's going to need it. :whistling:

I am sure the visit will go down. Trump reveres monarchs and autocrats so he will be on his best behaviour. He should have just kept his mouth shut on Meghan because now that is all that is going to be focused on.

He made it thru the last trip there without saying anything that was an issue plus he's been to other State dinners without incident. He didn't call Meghan (the person) nasty. He was referring to her comments.

LaRae

Don’t worry, he will. We’ve been dealing with his behavior, so now it’s our friends across the ponds turn to take it for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I would be almost sure that he would have his share of "funny" and unheard of remarks at the banquet when the microphones have been switched off. We might never know - unless at some day The Queen´s diary might be made open to the public.
This man is just unable not to put his foot into someone´s mouth...

This is very inappropriate. We have a President, not a royal family. His children, with exception of Ivanka and Jared, have no official role in the government and should not mix in government business while they are still involved in private business. Even Ivanka's and Jared's roles are inappropriate. If other senior advisors are not given the opportunities to participating in the events, then they shouldn't either.

BTW, this is inappropriate even if it's a royal family. When was the last time any head of state brought his or her grown children on state visits to foreign countries?

Last edited:
I saw the interview. The interviewer asked him if he had heard the critical remarks that Meghan had made about him. He said No. The interviewer then quoted a couple of remarks attributed to Meghan. President Trump smiled and said he hadn’t heard that she made nasty remarks, but that he wishes her well in her new role.

It really was much ado about nothing.

Another proof of what a liar Trump is! :bang:He said it, it´s on tape and that´s a fact. He´s so fake news! Even serious news magazines in Germany report about this story claiming he actually said this!

Just heard that massive demonstrations in London of estimated a quarter of a million people against this controversial visit are expected!

Last edited:
When was the last time any head of state brought his or her grown children on state visits to foreign countries?

It's actually not that uncommon. The Queen of Denmark brought her son Crown Prince Frederik with her to Argentina only a few months ago, I believe that The King and Queen of Sweden have brought Crown Princess Victoria with them on state visits to some Scandinavian countries and the former Queen of the Netherlands brought her son and daughter-in-law with her to the Middle East. In the case of Queen Margrethe and Queen Beatrix I assume the reason for them bringing their family is that both of them had lost their husbands.

It's actually not that uncommon. The Queen of Denmark brought her son Crown Prince Frederik with her to Argentina only a few months ago, I believe that The King and Queen of Sweden have brought Crown Princess Victoria with them on state visits to some Scandinavian countries and the former Queen of the Netherlands brought her son and daughter-in-law with her to the Middle East. In the case of Queen Margrethe and Queen Beatrix I assume the reason for them bringing their family is that both of them had lost their husbands.

There is a difference in that those mentioned children are the heir to the throne. And of course, as you mentioned, the cases with Queen Margrethe and Queen Beatrix are due to them not having a spouse to accompany them. And none of them brought ALL of their grown children. Just reeks of personal perk on official business.

Last edited:
Sergio Mattarella, the president of Italy, is usually accompanied by his eldest daughter Laura. She has accompanied her father on 19 foreign visits so far. President Mattarella is of course a widower.

Today Britain welcomes the President of the United States, and his wife..

There will be protests, but just as the previous President was welcomed here it will be for the office and for the Nation he represents, and not [necessarily] the individual who occupies the role.

At the beautiful American cemetery, at Madingley in Cambridgeshire, 9,388 D-Day soldiers are buried. Those young men travelled across the Atlantic to help a friend in need, at the behest of their President. This week, we welcome the current President, for their sake.

The Sun is shining in London today, to welcome our honoured guests..

#GodBlessAmerica

Last edited:
I'm very happy to welcome the USA on this state visit. :flowers:

This particular president however... not at all. I hate those state visits where the visitor is a fascist, racist, despot, warmonger, climate change denying, narcissistic moron but we've had them before & survived.

SkyNews has been preparing us: :lol:

#GodSaveTheQueen

Last edited:
Am I a Trump fan? No, I can't stand the man! But this is a state visit from the head of state of the UK's closest ally, and I for one is looking forward to it.

Especially seeing this lady, the one I'm talking about below, meeting yet another of ''her'' presidents (even though she has met him before). - Post from February:
Well, this is a day to be GENEROUS with the words.

67 years: As the most successful and popular head of state in history; as beacon of stability, continuity, service, duty and morality; as diplomat and as international icon.
And who at the age of 92 had almost 300 engagements last year (up from 2017).

Hmm, was there anything more, yes, an ITV article with a video of the gun salutes in Green Park and some facts about HM in numbers (link).

And last but not least: As a royal watcher/reporter said it on twitter, ''Long Live Elizabeth the Great'' who, as royal author/commentator, Robert Hardman said it last year, has really ''won the hearts of the world.''
And in addition to that, head of state of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, and as a commentator said it last year, yes, even bigger than a US President on the world stage!!

--------------------

TV-coverage from Britain's two news-channels throughout the day:

BBC News: The live-links have unfortunately been removed.

Sky News: Live-link.

--------------------

ITV News: Live-link without commentary.

Edit: They are arriving at Stansted Airport now.

Edit: And there they are.

Last edited:
:previous: HM and her family will behave with absolute courtesy, welcoming the President and his Lady plus their entourage. The conversation will be animated, the food, exquisite. HM's staff will treat them with the respect due to a head of state and his wife.

There will be no international incidents, no rudeness, no ill-manners because this is what Queen Elizabeth and her family were born to do . . . entertain the PM, her Ministers and invited exalted political guests or Royal Heads of State. She's been attending it since she was eighteen and hosting it since she was twenty-five.

Queen Elizabeth has more inbred diplomacy in her little finger than most politicians have in their entire body and she would never allow the House of Windsor to be held in contempt. Butcher, murder, amiable buffoon, prickly new heads of state, those who have become friends and those who loathe each other. Whatever their perceived status, they will be received as honoured guests.

It is all the same, HM will host an impeccable Banquet (not sure about the accommodations due to the renovations at BP), and fly the flag (and diamond tiaras, necklaces, earrings and bracelets, orders, sashes and medals) for the UK and they will all play "Let's Pretend".

Last edited:
I want to say that George W Bush attended at least a few State Visits when his father was President. I'm not sure if he or any of his siblings and their spouses traveled abroad for any State Visits. I also want to say that I'm not sure how fair it is to judge Trump for his adult children accompanying he and Melania for this particular trip when the last time we had a President with adult children in their 30s or older was thirty years ago - that's a lot of stale data by which to make a comparison.

Yes, I can see that. The nasty comment isn’t new. He’s called other women nasty. He’s gonna say something crazy while he’s over there so y’all better be ready for it.

The “ nasty” comment regarding Meghan was quoted out of context and was iinduced by the reporter asking the question. That is typical of the relationship between Trump and the (often) anti-Trump media.

Fortunately....or unfortunately..the president puts his comments in writing on Twitter most of the time. It is very difficult to be quoted out of context when one takes to boasting on social media about ones ..ACHOMLISMENTS almost daily:whistling:

Was he quoted out of context in this particular instance? Yes i believe so. But the "anti-Trump media" would have nothing to damage him with if the man was not such a narcissist who felt the need to pronounce a out EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. often in a crude and undignified manner.

He brings it on himself!:bang:

ETA: Sunnystar...the answer is NO...the much maligned Bushes did not tote their adult siblings or children to rub shoulders with the queen on the taxpayers dime. I have NO idea how or why Trump justifies this

Last edited:
Fortunately....or unfortunately..the president puts his comments in writing on Twiiter most of the time. It is very difficult to be quoted out of context when one takes to boasting on social media about ones ..ACHOMLISMENTS almost daily:whistling:

Was he quoted out of context in this particular instance? Yes i believe so. But the "anti-Trump media" would have nothing to damage him with if the man was not such a narcissist who felt the need to pronounce a out EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. often in a crude and undignified manner.

He brings it on himself!:bang:

Yes, Trump is narcissistic and often rude, and he also makes erratic comments. However, that doesn’t change the fact the coverage of hiim, especially in the US media, is unbalanced and biased.

Meanwhile, it appears that Prince Harry, following on his father’s precedent during the Chinese state visit, will have lunch with the POTUS, but will not attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace. If that is confirmed, it will be another unfortunate example of personal politics interfering with royal duties.

Nasty-gate is a three-day story because Trump took the bait from a tabloid reporter looking to make headlines. The American media for the most part is not letting him off the hook nor will it never let him live it down. Meghan is just the latest woman he insulted because she criticized him. And with the critical issues going on with Brexit and a new PM Trump needs to stop providing the media aammunition - like starting a Twitter fight this morning with Mayor Sadiq Khan and dragging NYC mayor Bill De Blasio into it for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom