State Visit from the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not happy with Mrs Mays gown tonight. The top half looks all wrong to me for several reasons. She could have done better.
Hello magazine have a nice photo of Lara Trump and Eric outside BP. She looks very nice. Would love to see Ivanka's choice of dress for the banquet and Tiffany's.

The Obama children met HM on a PRIVATE visit to London with their mother. The carriage ride on the palace grounds was a treat for the youngest on her 8th birthday from the queen.

I laugh(without mirth) at posters trying to find a parallel with the Trump posse heading to London en masse during a State visit obviously for the sole purpose of rubbernecking and rubbing shoulders with royalty. There IS no parallel in presidential history.

As an American citizen and tax payer I am ashamed, embarrassed and disgusted

I am too, Moonmaiden23, thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno
Yes, Trump is narcissistic and often rude, and he also makes erratic comments. However, that doesn’t change the fact the coverage of hiim, especially in the US media, is unbalanced and biased.

Meanwhile, it appears that Prince Harry, following on his father’s precedent during the Chinese state visit, will have lunch with the POTUS, but will not attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace. If that is confirmed, it will be another unfortunate example of personal politics interfering with royal duties.

Prince Harry attended the Lunch with POTUS & family; Prince William and Duchess Kate attended the Banquet. So how are Prince Harry’s personal politics interfering with his royal duties? Can you use the same analogy for Prince William and Duchess Kate for not attending the lunch?

No Archbish of Cadbury ? Did he 'boycott' ?

I am somewhat surprised that the First Lady didn't wear any remarkable piece of jewelry, but I guess it makes sense as she would be outshone by the magnificent items from the Royal Family's collection and could have looked like a "nouveau riche" trying to show off.

I am not happy with Mrs Mays gown tonight. The top half looks all wrong to me for several reasons. She could have done better.
Hello magazine have a nice photo of Lara Trump and Eric outside BP. She looks very nice. Would love to see Ivanka's choice of dress for the banquet and Tiffany's.

Ivanka was in cornflower blue with a full skirt and short train, she was sitting beside Sophie Wessex.

I am somewhat surprised that the First Lady didn't wear any remarkable piece of jewelry, but I guess it makes sense as she would be outshone by the magnificent items from the Royal Family's collection and could have looked like a "nouveau riche" trying to show off.

The First Lady looks beautiful as always and I think struck the right note for the occasion. You are right, there can be no competition with Royal Jewels. :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno
Yes, Trump is narcissistic and often rude, and he also makes erratic comments. However, that doesn’t change the fact the coverage of hiim, especially in the US media, is unbalanced and biased.

Meanwhile, it appears that Prince Harry, following on his father’s precedent during the Chinese state visit, will have lunch with the POTUS, but will not attend the state banquet at Buckingham Palace. If that is confirmed, it will be another unfortunate example of personal politics interfering with royal duties.

Prince Harry attended the Lunch with POTUS & family; Prince William and Duchess Kate attended the Banquet. So how are Prince Harry’s personal politics interfering with his royal duties? Can you use the same analogy for Prince William and Duchess Kate for not attending the lunch?

Excellent point!

Last edited by a moderator:
I laugh(without mirth) at posters trying to find a parallel with the Trump posse heading to London en masse during a State visit obviously for the sole purpose of rubbernecking and rubbing shoulders with royalty. There IS no parallel in presidential history.

From what I've seen nobody, myself included, have been "trying to find a parallel" here. Instead we've replied to questions or given examples fully aware that it doesn't compare to the guest list for this State visit.
I replied to a statement that a monarch would never bring their family with them on a state visit and someone else did the same to a statement about presidential families having never been guests of the Queen.
You're free to laugh all you like, but don't put words in my mouth.

That picture came from Eric's Twitter.

Melania has worn a couple of great dresses today. LOVED her Herve Pierre hat. The evening gloves were a great touch..that should come back!

I really liked Ivanka's blue Caroline Hererra dress tonight.

Lara's dress was a very pretty Monique Lhullier and again evening gloves!

The BRF ladies are their usual...I did love the Queen wearing all the Rubies!

Trump did tweet the family had been wonderful to them and everything was going well...and everyone seemed fairly relaxed in photos so day one seems to have been a success.

LaRae

Well JFK did impose his in laws Stas and Lee Radziwill at the official dinner given by the Queen in 1961, allegedly much to HM's displeasure (divorced people in the 60's you know ...).
It was less "in masse" though, and the Radziwills lived in London ...

Edit : Eunice Kennedy Shriver, JFK's sister, was there too ...

Last edited:
As the guests were walking to their seats, Duchess Kate kind of broke the line to shake some lady's hand, I wonder who she was!!

A detectable message in HMQ's speech this evening, and one delivered in a far more subtle manner than the ill-mannered Khan blimp...

Attachments

• speech.jpg
    speech.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 95
From what I've seen nobody, myself included, have been "trying to find a parallel" here. Instead we've replied to questions or given examples fully aware that it doesn't compare to the guest list for this State visit.
I replied to a statement that a monarch would never bring their family with them on a state visit and someone else did the same to a statement about presidential families having never been guests of the Queen.
You're free to laugh all you like, but don't put words in my mouth.

With all due respect, if my comments don't describe you there was no need for you to respond in the first place.

My post was directly at participants who WERE trying to find equivalence.

And they ARE here.

Last edited:

As an American citizen and tax payer I am ashamed, embarrassed and disgusted

Perhaps it is uncalled for.
But to be honest, if I were ever in that position, I would do anything to finagle an invitation, crass or not!

It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing; how many people ever get to attend a state banquet at Buckingham Palace?
I just know I wouldn't be able to resist, so I find it hard to blame Trump's offspring. :lol:

I certainly understand Mirabel...thanks for an honest reply ;)

Well, its a shame this visit went forward.

The BRF have all been gracious, of course.

Camilla's cheeky wink was trending today lol

Wow, everybody in white? This ladies did they arrange to be in white? I like Kate dress, Melania looks nice but I do not think the dress is great thing, though she couldn't use a tiara I am sure she could have some diamons pins on her hair.
Ivanka looks nice, but it is not my cup of tea her dress.
An incredible regal night

Well, its a shame this visit went forward. The shameful conduct and words of our president being the new norm.

What shameful words ? His speech was great .

What shameful words ? His speech was great .

I was not referring to his speech tonight, but his comments about Meghan, Kate, Diana and people overall and his general boorish behavior toward many.

Pro and anti Trump factions clashed in the street.

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to provide evidence for this, because as a Londoner i've seen none.
Why you would imagine the [wholly] impartial BRF to provide a rallying point for one faction or another I do not know...

State Visit by the President of the United States: June 3-5, 2019

Well, its a shame this visit went forward.

Camilla's cheeky wink was trending today lol

I really dislike defending Trump. He is incredibly ill mannered. But he is the President. Situation is what it is. Of course the visit happened.

And frankly- I’m sure HM has dealt with far worse foreign visitors.

I really dislike defending Trump. He is incredibly ill mannered. But he is the President. Situation is what it is. Of course the visit happened.

And frankly- I’m sure HM has dealt with far worse foreign visitors.

Yep that's it exactly. People are acting like this is the first boorish president we've ever had. Some of them have been far worse than 'The Donald'...in actions not just stupid comments.

I get that many people in Europe are left leaning but really...the behavior is hypocritical IMO.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom