State Visit from the President of the United States: 2017 [Postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking News on Sky News: Now over a million.

Irrelevant. The Queen hosted Ceaucescu and Mugabe in the past. Recently, she hosted Xi Jiping, who is a notorious human rights violator. She doesn't take responsibility for her actions as Head of State; the government does. That is how all European constitutional monarchies function.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems No 10 Downing Street are making sure they let it be known the Private Secretaries to The Queen, Charles, and William were involved in inviting Trump to the U.K. for a State Visit too. Kinda creating some distance and making sure the royals share some of the backlash, lol.

Last edited:
The visit should be canceled, but I don't think it will happen, sadly.

Love the coins to commemorate The Queen's Sapphire Jubilee.

Why do you think that the state visit should be cancelled?

Paddy Ashdown was on Sky News says that a state visit by Trump to the UK will see the biggest demonstrations the country has ever seen and said it will cause huge embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.

And reliable sources say that Trump and his people have demanded cariages and horses down the Mall (which is unusual for US state visits due to security reasons)

Some quotes from this article:
Trump and Charles in climate*row | News | The Times & The Sunday Times
Trump’s team is also concerned that he will face a wave of protests, with thousands of people taking to the streets to denounce him.

Trump’s state visit has also sparked concerns that the president will betray the confidence of the Queen and tweet about their exchanges.

Many interesting articles on this (which does not belong in this thread) that I could have posted, but the state visit thread is closed.

Last edited:
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

I don't see how people protesting would be an embarrassment to the Queen. There were probably protesters when the Chinese visited.

President Trump can request horses and carriages but if other Presidents were not allowed to travel in them. The secret service isn't going to let him do it. They fly the armored presidential car over for a reason. No way does he travel in a wooded carriage. It's going to be like when Obama came. The beast car, no Horse Guards welcome, review the troops behind the walls of the palace.

Last edited:
And reliable sources say that Trump and his people have demanded cariages and horses down the Mall (which is unusual for US state visits due to security reasons)

Many interesting articles on this (which does not belong in this thread) that I could have posted, but the state visit thread is closed.

Could you just post a couple urls, because I've done an extensive Google search and only manage to come up with one article related to this from the past week which is on DailyMail and we all know the quality of that publication.

It does have an interesting section within the article that speaks to "EIGHT PREVIOUS STATE VISITS THAT ATTRACTED CONTROVERSY"

No10 rejects calls to cancel Donald Trump's state visit | Daily Mail Online

However, there is NO mention of Trump asking for or demanding any carriage ride down the Mall.

Regardless what happens when Trump visits the Queen I'm sure the security people on both sides can handle things.

LaRae

It seems No 10 Downing Street are making sure they let it be known the Private Secretaries to The Queen, Charles, and William were involved in inviting Trump to the U.K. for a State Visit too. Kinda creating some distance and making sure the royals share some of the backlash, lol.

Prince Charles didn't attend Xi Jinping's state dinner, which I interpret as a deliberate personal boycott, although I know some forum members will disagree. He could do it to Trump too if he wanted to, but I doubt he will.

I don't see how people protesting would be an embarrassment to the Queen. There were probably protesters when the Chinese visited.

President Trump can request horses and carriages but if other Presidents were not allowed to travel in them. The secret service isn't going to let him do it. They fly the armored presidential car over for a reason. No way does he travel in a wooded carriage. It's going to be like when Obama came. The beast car, no Horse Guards welcome, review the troops behind the walls of the palace.

In fact, even the Emperor of Japan faced protests on his state visit to the UK (because of the issue of the Japanese detention camps during World War II). There will be protests for sure, but that is OK.

The Trumps will probably stay at Windsor anyway, where the guests will be better shielded from the protesters.

Could you just post a couple urls, because I've done an extensive Google search and only manage to come up with one article related to this from the past week which is on DailyMail and we all know the quality of that publication.
The BBC, Sky, ITV, the Telegraph, the Times, the Express, the Sun, the Mirror, the Fail etc have all had articles about this state visit thing. And the news channels is full of it.

However, there is NO mention of Trump asking for or demanding any carriage ride down the Mall.
I read about the horse thing in the Times article in my post, which you quoted from.
“They do not want the president to be put in an awkward position where he’s being lectured. They want horses down the Mall, tea with William and Kate. They want all that pomp and for it to go seamlessly, and one of the risk factors is Charles.
I read about the cariage thing in another article yesterday (don't remember where) and I also read (on twitter I think) from a journalist who had heard that Trump vanted a balcony appearance.

Last edited:
The BBC, Sky, ITV, the Telegraph, the Times, the Express, the Sun, the Mirror, the Fail etc have all had articles about this state visit thing. And the news channels is full of it.

I read about the horse thing in the Times article in my post, which you quoted from.

I read about the cariage thing in another article yesterday (don't remember where) and I also read (on twitter I think) from a journalist who had heard that Trump vanted a balcony appearance.

Apologies for my failure to read your post clearly enough. I thought that article was mainly about the tension between Prince Charles and President Trump. However, when I see something like someone read on Twitter that a journalist had heard that Trump wanted a balcony appearance, I can in no way take that with any certainty as being factually correct.

I mean NO disrespect to you personally. My incredulity is merely toward second or third hand information coming from a journalist.

I thank you so much for circling back around to answer my questions, my friend. Greetings from Pittsburgh. Laura

:flowers:

I know, but the secret service reluctantly allowed the pope to drive in an open car during his visit to the United States.

In fact, even the Emperor of Japan faced protests on his state visit to the UK (because of the issue of the Japanese detention camps during World War II). There will be protests for sure, but that is OK.

The Trumps will probably stay at Windsor anyway, where the guests will be better shielded from the protesters.
The so-called royal experts said until yesterday that it would take place at Windsor due to renovations of BP.

But it looks like Trump and his people would like it to take place in London.

However, when I see something like someone read on Twitter that a journalist had heard that Trump wanted a balcony appearance, I can in no way take that with any certainty as being factually correct.
I agree! And I don't think there are many on this forum who complain more about the British press than me, but some of this comes from serious political reporters.

Although I'm 95% sure that we are not going to see Trump on the balcony with HM, I do not dare to say anything for sure.

Because we live (apparently) in a world where anything can happen.

The Secret Service probably can't order a Foreign Head of State like the Pope is to do certain things. It most likely can only recommend. The Secret Service would have more authority with the US President's security arrangements.

Read more: Why Queen will welcome Donald Trump despite protests
On dozens of occasions the Queen has opened up her home and extended the hand of hospitality to foreign heads of state.

It is always her name on the invitation of a state visit, after all how could any world leader turn down an opportunity to meet Her Majesty?

But she doesn't get to choose her latest guest - these visits always come at the request of the government and Foreign Office.

They decide who is worthy of a full state visit and the latest invitation to President Trump is no different.

The momentum behind this petition asking to scrap President Trump's state visit has still come as a surprise, with over a million signatures claiming "it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen".

Does she see it that way? I doubt it. While the palace has so far stayed quiet about the visit, the Queen realises it is her duty to be friendly and welcoming to all of her guests, and that her hospitality is an important way in which she can serve our country.

She knows the quiet power the Royal Family has on the international stage; they are a secret weapon for the government. An audience with the Queen is enough to make any world leader feel special.

Read about the 7 others: Eight controversial state visits to the UK
The upcoming state visit by Donald Trump is not the first time a trip by a world leader to the UK has been marked by controversy.

Downing Street insists the visit will go ahead, despite worldwide outrage over Mr Trump's 90-day travel ban on people from seven mainly Muslim countries including Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

He will be the third US president, after Barack Obama and George W Bush, to be invited to enjoy the pomp and ceremony that comes with such an exclusive invitation by Queen Elizabeth II.

But as a petition calling for Mr Trump not to meet the Queen during his visit passes one million signatures, here's a look at a few previous state visits that have been dogged by protests:

7. Romania's Nicolae Ceausescu - 13-16 June, 1978

It was the first state visit by a Communist head of state to the UK and Romania was already well-known as one of the most corrupt and oppressive of the Soviet Union's Cold War satellite states. At the time, the Queen took drastic steps to avoid meeting the dictator, according to royal author Robert Hardman. "While walking her dogs in the Palace gardens, she spotted Ceausescu and his wife Elena heading in her direction. As the Queen told a lunch guest some years later, she decided the best course of action was to hide behind a bush rather than conduct polite conversation," he wrote. The Romanian leader was honoured by the government during his visit in an attempt to improve relations within Europe during the Cold War. However, his knighthood was revoked shortly after he was deposed in 1989.

This thread will remain closed until we get closer to the State visit.

As the article actually says Donald Trump has apparently said he won't visit if he won't get a rapturous welcome. This is unlikely, so if that's his stipulation then it won't go forward. However as none of this is confirmed, and nothing has come from either The White House or Downing Street on the matter, the visit has not been postponed.

Trump to May: I'm not coming on state visit unless I'm welcome in the UK - ITV News
Phone conversations between President Trump and Prime Minister May did indeed took place about the visit and the President's worries.
Transcripts of the phone calls - including Mr Trump's comments to Mrs May about the state visit - were circulated afterwards.
Copies were sent to the Foreign Office, the British Embassy in Washington DC as well as to staff in Downing Street.
The visit may not be postponed yet, but there are definitely struggles to schedule it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom