The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

State visit from the United States to the United Kingdom in 2017

British PM Theresa May has just announced in a joint press conference in Washington DC that US president Donald Trump has accepted an invitation from Her Majesty The Queen to pay a state visit to the UK later this year accompanied by First Lady Melania Trump. Further details will be provided when available.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Majesty

The announcement is unsurprising as the countries in question are said to have special relationships.

Hopefully Mrs Trump will have nice ensembles.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How degrading for HM the Queen that she has to receive & kowtow to such a couple. One would have hoped they could have spared her this humiliation, especially at this advanced age.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Savourous to say the least ...
Theresa May seems quite in a hurry to built a new chapter in the "special relationship", and of course the Royal family is requisitioned and the Queen happy to oblige.
Can't wait, can't wait ... but maybe a BBQ at Balmoral would be enough, who knows ? :

Donald Trump promises 'double state dinner' in his White House - POLITICO
Old 01-27-2017, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

HM is simply a pawn of the government and was always going to be one of the first people to host the Trumps to a State Visit. The UK needs to the US, particularly as they prepare for Brexit and HM and the BRF will be used to ensure that relationship continues.

HM has hosted way worse and future monarchs will do so as well.

HM has kowtowed to whomever the British government of the day has told her to and she will continue to do so. If she doesn't wish to do so then her alternative is to abdicate as it is her duty to obey the demands of her government.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think the during her long reign QEII has met with worse people than Trump (murderers like Mugabe etc) so I think she will deal with it professionally, as always.

After 'touch-gate' with the Obamas (Michelle patted QEII on the back) the press will be on highest alert to produce stories.

I lived in London when Obama visited and it was a nightmare. There were three helicopters going back and forth to the US embassy, one carrying Obama, two for distraction. Obama's car 'The Beast' got stuck on a ramp. I am sure with Trump there will be lots of drama, too. Looking forward to this visit!!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
How degrading for HM the Queen that she has to receive & kowtow to such a couple. One would have hoped they could have spared her this humiliation, especially at this advanced age.
The Queen will do her duty, always.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well...it's an event to look forward to.

I wish my British friends on this forum and across the U.K. were getting a President worthy of such a visit.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

If you can break bread Nicolae Ceaușescu, you can break bread with anyone. Trump is democratically elected
Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Whilst I do not like Donald Trump and have the greatest respect for the Queen and am personally a believer in the system on Monarchy I'm sure the Queen (Who has never once been elected to office) will do her duty without complaint in meeting the democratically elected President of her country's closest ally.
The Queen has/had met the current President of Syria, President Putin, Mobutu Sese Seko, Robert Mugabe, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Yoweri Museveni & Nicolae Ceausescu. Whilst I do not like or respect Donald Trump as a person I think any outrage at the Queen meeting him is ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whilst I do not like Donald Trump and have the greatest respect for the Queen and am personally a believer in the system on Monarchy I'm sure the Queen (Who has never once been elected to office) will do her duty without complaint in meeting the democratically elected President of her country's closest ally.
The Queen has/had met the current President of Syria, President Putin, Mobutu Sese Seko, Robert Mugabe, Nursultan Nazarbayev, Yoweri Museveni & Nicolae Ceausescu. Whilst I do not like or respect Donald Trump as a person I think any outrage at the Queen meeting him is ridiculous.
Should the outrage (for those who are outraged) be directed at Theresa May then ? After all, the golden rule of any modern European constitutional monarchy is that ministers take responsibility for the monarch's actions.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
A reigning monarch of the UK does not meet leaders of different countries out of kindness. Usually the UK gets investments and money in return. Money and expensive gifts reign supreme on the British Isles.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Trump has already offended the Duchess of Cambridge and he hasn't even met her yet. He's also been very nasty towards the late Princess of Wales.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

This visit will be "interesting" PR wise for KP and Clarence House, considering the strong links between Harry and the Obamas and the strong views of Charles about global warming ...
William, and maybe Kate, will be full time royals by the time of the visit. Wonder how the PR team will handle their meeting with such a, let's face it, controversial figure.
A said previously, no worries about HM, she entertained much, much worse.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
What nonsense. HM will welcome the democratically elected President of the UK's closest ally with the same grace and class as she did every other US President. There will be no 'kowtowing', just a respectful welcome to the head of state of an important nation.

She won't be the last European head of state to do so either.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Besides, this could be an excellent conversation starter

Donald Trump claimed Princess Diana 'was crazy' and he 'could have slept with her' | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well...there's no telling what nonsense he'll come up with about the royal family after this upcoming visit.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Press Association ‏@PA
#Breaking Donald Trump has accepted an invitation to make a state visit to the UK, Prime Minister Theresa May says

I saw that.
When is such a visit likely to take place?
Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From the bits and pieces that I've read, it seems to point towards a summer visit.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
The Queen has welcomed Ceausescu, Mugabe and Putin into her home for state visits. She has met Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams - members of a terrorist organisation who killed hundred and hundreds of her people, including Lord Mountbatton.

The Queen will do what is required of her as head of state. Like it or not, Mr Trump is the democratically elected head of the UK's closest ally. We can't just sit in a corner in a huff until he's voted out, much as many people in Europe would seemingly prefer.
Words of reason. Baudouin and Fabiola maintained what I'll characterize as "decent" relations with Franco, Mubutu, Tito and Ceausescu, other Soviet bloc countries and the Communist Chinese leadership. They never let heir personal feelings be revealed. I do know that Baudouin passed a priest off as a Belgian government official during travels in China so they could receive communion every day.

Heck, it's said Queen Elizabeth was very upset about the behavior of the Mobutus during their 1973 trip. All the pics of them together she seems quite strained.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9abfbcb7c1...utu-e10ra0.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...ture-id2629799

Closed Thread