State Visit from the President of the Republic of Ireland: April 8-10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video:
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness attended a reception hosted by the Queen at Windsor Castle today. The event, part of the state visit by Irish president Michael D Higgins, is for a range of individuals, British and Irish, who have made a significant contribution to furthering co-operation and mutual understanding across the island of Ireland, and/or public service, enterprise and cultural life in Northern Ireland-
Home - ITNSource News

Look how beautiful Her Majesty look.

Video:
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness attended a reception hosted by the Queen at Windsor Castle today. The event, part of the state visit by Irish president Michael D Higgins, is for a range of individuals, British and Irish, who have made a significant contribution to furthering co-operation and mutual understanding across the island of Ireland, and/or public service, enterprise and cultural life in Northern Ireland-
Home - ITNSource News

Look how beautiful Her Majesty look.

From RTE News

President Michael D. Higgins & Queen Elizabeth greet Peter Robinson & Martin McGuinness - YouTube

Video:
The Irish President Michael D Higgins and his wife have had their formal farewell with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle this morning. The President will travel on to Coventry and Stratford Upon Avon-
Home - ITNSource News

President Michael D Higgins Speech at the Royal Albert Hall last night,Prince & Princess Michael of Kent get a mention in Irish & English ;)
It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael attending the event.

Well I must say, if I were living in a republic and could choose a president I would gladly choose Michael D Higgins. What a gracious man! I say this not least of all because he reminds me very much of my grandfather who was an Irishman and born in the 1890s!
It cannot go unnoticed that the Irish seem to have an inimitable knack of choosing good people for their president! This has been a delightful State Visit and will hopefully bring the peoples of the British Isles closer across the sea.

:previous: Wonderful comment, being of Irish and Scottish decent, I hope the same.

The British organization was impeccable, the splendour and the glitter was amazing as always. There is only one thing what wondered me. This is a State Visit by a neighbour, in fact the only neighbour on the British mainland, with a long shared history.

There was a State Banquet at Windsor Castle. There was a banquet at Guildhall. There was a reception at Windsor Castle. For so far the usual ingredients. In return, Culture Ireland organized a concert at Royal Albert Hall, as a "counter event", also as a token of gratitude for the warm reception and the enjoyed hospitality.

No Queen and Duke, no Prince and Duchess, no Prince Harry, no Princess Royal and Admiral Lawrence, no Duke of York, no Earl and Countess of Wessex, no Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, no Duke and Duchess of Kent. The only royals to attend this great Irish event were Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. With all respect to them (and I always admire Marie-Christine), I feel the reciprocity is lost out of the eye. This is not the president of Kazakhstan, this is the president of your country's very own and only neighbours, once a realm of the British Crown... I found the royal turn-out for the Irish event surprisingly low.

Picture from the Office of the President, showing President Higgins, Mrs Higgins, Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent at the Royal Albert Hall:
http://www.president.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/PresidentRHA-02-1024x682.jpg

Well I must say, if I were living in a republic and could choose a president I would gladly choose Michael D Higgins. What a gracious man! I say this not least of all because he reminds me very much of my grandfather who was an Irishman and born in the 1890s!
It cannot go unnoticed that the Irish seem to have an inimitable knack of choosing good people for their president! This has been a delightful State Visit and will hopefully bring the peoples of the British Isles closer across the sea.

What a lovely thing to say Jacknch ,I've always admired Michael D Higgins & he was my personal choice to succeed Mary McAleese in 2011,who herself did a wonderful job in her 14 years at the Aras.As I'm of both Irish & English decent I have personally enjoyed this highly successful State Visit & the warm reception the President & his wife received in the UK .Without a doubt this is dawn of a new era for Anglo-Irish relations and the role of Her Majesty in bringing about this must be applauded.

Well - here is just a grand photo from today - I wonder what the back story was? The little girl's name is Martha Wainwright.
Sabina Higgins Photos - First State Visit of an Irish President - Zimbio

Here, the picture is...odd until you understand that this is an actor's wig:
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sabina+Higgins+First+State+Visit+Irish+President+-ODRrwFG6H7l.jpg

I thought the visit was spectacular on both a large and intimate scale. I'm not surprised the Queen is so joyful, it is a huge step toward the future.

There is just something about Mr. Higgins that makes you want just reach out and cuddle him to death. I'm really not one bit surprised that HM and Mr. Higgins got along so well as I've discovered in the Queen's thread that they're both horse racing fans and I can imagine some very lively conversations they must have had.

With my grandfather, who was born in 1880, emigrating to the US and having his second family here, I was raised knowing about "the troubles" of the bygone years and its very special to me to witness this very historic State Visit and watch via photos and videos the warmth and the charm and the comraderie that hopefully is bringing peace and warm relationships between what was once feuding neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom