State Visit from the President of the Republic of Ireland: April 8-10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The State Visit of President Higgins to the UK
Live coverage of the state banquet at Windsor castle, where the President will give a speech- 8:25pm UK Time-

RTÉ News Now Live - RTÉ Player

Videos:
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have greeted the President and Mrs Higgins at the Irish Embassy on behalf of the Queen. They spent some time inside talking before leaving for Windsor Castle, where the President will meet Her Royal Highness the Queen.
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=PRINCE CHARLES GREETS IRISH PRESIDENT

The President and Mrs Higgins, accompanied by Prince Charles and Camilla, have arrived at Datchet Road, Windsor, where they received a Royal Salute and welcome by the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh before the State Drive up to Windsor Castle. Once inside Windsor Castle, the President Inspected the Guards with The Duke of Edinburgh, and gave a new coat to the Irish Guards mascot. The visit marks the first state visit by an Irish head of state to the United Kingdom-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=IRISH PRESIDENT MEETS THE QUEEN IN WINDSOR

Last edited:
I hope Windsor Castle has laid out the long-handled spoons tonight...

I'm just not getting the 'historic' aspect here. Mr Higgins has visited the UK several times since becoming President. This is just a normal state visit the same as for any other country. This one's just a bit fancier than his previous visits.

The really historic one was when the Queen went the other way, particularly given the very high threat to her life while in the Irish Republic.

Before anyone complains, I was born and raised in Northern Ireland, although I've lived away from the province for going on 6 years now. I know the issues between the Irish and the British as well as anyone.

On a lighter note, I didn't think there was a shorter head of state than the Queen, but apparently I was wrong!

In some ways that is probably the way both countries would like us to think. Its historical and important because its a 'first' but I think IMO most people in both countries probably don't see it as necessarily a show stopping historical, important event. But then again that is one of the reasons why its been able to take place now.

As usual, the British hosts have displayed a fantastic ceremonial and splendour. They are among the best.

As usual, the British hosts have displayed a fantastic ceremonial and splendour. They are among the best.

I have to say that no other country does pomp like the British Royals do.

Oh it's a superb State Visit! Very much looking forward to seeing images and footage of the banquette and speeches! I was agog with excitement when the Queen visited Ireland and hopefully BBC News will do live reporting!
I might add that it seems strange that the President of Ireland is gentleman, I've was so used to it being a lady!

As usual Dman, thank you for the links !

For those of you who love Irish humour (that's me!) this quote on Twitter from a Times reporter

Lucy Bannerman ‏@Lbannermantimes
Irish press awed by all the horsey pageantry at Windsor Castle: "All we gave her was a couple sausage rolls+a handshake!"

The Queen is rocking her Cambridge Emeralds. The Queen seems to be suffering from a cold.

Last edited:
The Queen is rocking her Cambridge Emeralds. The Queen seems to be suffering from a cold.

and her Delhi Durbar necklace - just wonderful

We can say that President Higgins is a brilliant speaker !

Stunning pics. Camilla is wearing the dress she wore to the Dutch Inauguration last year.

I've just watched the BBC excerpts of today's (or yesterday's for me) ceremonies.

It was a lovely tribute by the Queen to wear emeralds as Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle.

I haven't heard President Higgins' speech at the banquet but the line from the Queen's speech that struck me was her comment that we must strike a balance between looking back at what cannot be changed and looking forward. An apt comment given Anglo-Irish history.

Just as it was symbolic gesture that the Queen visited Croke Park during her visit to Ireland, it was a nice gesture by the President to go to the plaque in honour of Lord Mountbatten while at Westminster Abbey.

I'm looking forward to more coverage throughout the week.

Last edited:
I think the Queen rode in the Australian state coach. Could be wrong.

Much as I think she looks great in the Boucheron Honeycomb, which I think she's really made her own, I'd love to see Camilla in the Delhi Durbar again, just to change things up.

I think the Queen rode in the Australian state coach. Could be wrong.

Much as I think she looks great in the Boucheron Honeycomb, which I think she's really made her own, I'd love to see Camilla in the Delhi Durbar again, just to change things up.

You are correct (according to the Guardian) and I have edited my post to correct it.

Thank you.

I'm just glad that we got a chance to see the State Banquet tonight. I liked watching the guest gather in St George's Hall and find they're seats. I'm also glad that we got a chance to see The Queen, President and members of the royal family's procession into the Hall for the Banquet.

If only we can get them to continue to do this for other State Banquets, including the one that's coming up in October.

You are correct (according to the Guardian) and I have edited my post to correct it.

Thank you.

The only reason I noticed is that the Australian coach is probably my favourite of the closed carriages, apart from the Gold State Coach which we we almost never see, so I'm always glad to see it! The Australian is a true work of art in every respect.

The Australian is the most comfy of all the state carriages. The gold state coach is apparently the worst to ride in which is probably why it wasn't used for the diamond jubilee.

The Australian is the most comfy of all the state carriages. The gold state coach is apparently the worst to ride in which is probably why it wasn't used for the diamond jubilee.

It was nice to see the Australian State Coach being used. It is relatively new, only dating back to our Bicentennary in 1988. It has electric windows, heating, and hydraulic stabilisers. A warm and comfy ride. Australian State Coach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, can that convert to a car, Roslyn? I'd love to drive a spiffy vehicle like that! :D

Last edited:
I would think the coat is just a new version of the red coat he was sporting on St Patrick's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom