State Visit from the President of the Republic of Ireland: April 8-10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that also depends on where you are, and what time you're awake.

Tuesday with the welcome ceremony and the state dinner is a rest day for the NZ tour party and George's play group engagement is Wednesday afternoon which would early morning in the UK so it does not really conflict with the big events of the state visit.

I was actually hope the Cambridge's would've been able to attend this State Visit but we didn't know their tour schedule at the time. I guess they will be able to attend the Singapore's State Visit in October.

So excited to have a state banquet to look forward to on my 21st Birthday! If only I was the one in the tiara ;)

I'll be keeping my eye out for the arrival of the President and his wife this afternoon.

RTE will have some coverage tomorrow I'm off work so I'll tune in, have either of the Mary's (former President's) been invited to the state dinner does anyone know ?

RTE broadcasts starts at 11.40 am tomorrow morning & the State Banquet will also be live at 8.25pm tomorrow night.

Live on RTE? Damn I wished I still lived at home in Northern Ireland (and wasn't working tomorrow night) as I could have watched it. Will it be on the BBC as well?

Live on RTE? Damn I wished I still lived at home in Northern Ireland (and wasn't working tomorrow night) as I could have watched it. Will it be on the BBC as well?

Yes,RTE are gone slightly gaga on the Queen of late.

I'm sure it will be live on the BBC News,I have a funeral tomorrow so I'm going to miss quite a bit of it all!

Last edited:
Now that's what I'm talking about. Broadcast these events Live, so the people can see it.

Wasn't there a state banquet last night? I couldn't find any Pictures.

As far as I know the visit only starts today

No problem I think the confusion was President Higgins arrived in the UK yesterday

No problem I think the confusion was President Higgins arrived in the UK yesterday

Yes the President & his wife arrived in London yesterday but the Official Visit starts today.

Last edited:
Ceremonial welcome & carriage ride to the castle almost over,I never noticed the bells ringing at Windsor on previous State Visits.One Irish commentator quipped it was the Angelus bells (which still ring daily on Irish radio at 12 noon).

I'm so glad that we are getting a chance to actually watch this historic State Visit. I know it's happening because this is such an historic occasion but I really do wish more of these State Visits were broadcast Live either on a news channel or perhaps from the official Monarchy website.

I'm so glad that we are getting a chance to actually watch this historic State Visit. I know it's happening because this is such an historic occasion but I really do wish more of these State Visits were broadcast Live either on a news channel or perhaps from the official Monarchy website.

Its wonderful to be able to watch this historic visit live,such a pity I'm gonna miss tonight's State Banquet ,hopefully I'll be home in time to catch the end of it.

The Live Coverage starts back at 4:15PM UK Time.

I am a-tingle with the importance of the moment. This is what can happen when people focus on what they agree about rather than what sets them apart. And focus on the future, rather than the past.
Actually, that's an excellent recommendation for life in general and behavior on the Forums in particular. :flowers:

Last edited:
Nice touch using the Band of the Irish Guards for the Windsor welcoming ceremony. The Irish Guards went to Cyprus on deployment after St Patrick's Day so they were not available.

I loved this morning I think President Michael D was fantastic

Truly historic moment in history. Time has a way of healing old wounds. May both nations prosper together in harmony and friendship for many years to come.

Irish President Michael D Higgins has arrived in Britain for his country's first ever visit by a head of state.
His four-day trip is a sign that relations between the two countries have been transformed since the Queen's historic visit to Dublin in 2011.
But it has been overshadowed by the decision to invite Northern Ireland's deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, a former IRA commander, to a state banquet at Windsor Castle this evening.
Former MP Mr McGuinness, who refused to take his Commons seat because of the oath of allegiance to the Monarch, snubbed a gala banquet in honour of the Queen during her visit to Ireland in 2011.

Irish President Michael D Higgins arrives in Britain for historic state visit | Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom