The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Thanks! I thought so because when they announced that she had cancelled a visit the 1st October this engagement hadn't been prevously announced but I guess this state visit is a bid deal
I think if Catherine is well enough to attend the welcoming ceremony, there shouldn't be any other reason for her and William not to attend that State Banquet later in the evening though. That part makes no sense to me.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

I long to see her in a tiara very much

Old 10-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I long to see her in a tiara very much
It would be the perfect opportunity to see William & Catherine in their finery because if Charles & Camilla don't attend, it would be Catherine who would sit next to the President and Her Majesty The Queen at the State Banquet. The video of the State Banquet would likely be put up on the official Monarchy YouTube website and we'll be able to see parts of the State Banquet that isn't published. We would see if Catherine has been given the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think if Catherine is well enough to attend the welcoming ceremony, there shouldn't be any other reason for her and William not to attend that State Banquet later in the evening though. That part makes no sense to me.
There is one very simple reason not to attend: it's a dinner.
There are no free places around the table.
State Banquet's seating plan (several weeks of planning) is confirmed both by the Queen and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

They may have always been attending the State Banquet. They don't announce who is attending. We know they weren't going to the Irish one because they were in NZ. They were the last royals to visit Singapore and maybe the Queen thought this would be a good one for them to start their state banquet careers off.

Is C&C on their way to Columbia for this state visit? Because the pickup thing is usually done by them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
There is one very simple reason not to attend: it's a dinner.
There are no free places around the table.
State Banquet's seating plan (several weeks of planning) is confirmed both by the Queen and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Couldn't someone we've never heard off be chucked orff the table to allow William and Catherine to attend?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate is obviously still feeling poorly if there are contingency plans for the carriage ride let alone the State Banquet.

A formal sit down dinner is probably too much to ask at this point
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

With HG its a struggle to swallow your own saliva without vomiting. It really must be hell for Catherine.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

I see no problems with them not attending the state banquet.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I see no problems with them not attending the state banquet.
I really don't see any problem either with them not attending the State Banquet. She may be feeling better enough to go to the ceremonial welcoming but I would imagine that sometimes even the smell of food is enough to make her feel queasy.

Also, for the ceremonial welcome, it would be easy to pick an outfit that's comfortable to wear whereas a formal dinner with gown and tiara may be just a bit too much for her right now.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really don't see any problem either with them not attending the State Banquet. She may be feeling better enough to go to the ceremonial welcoming but I would imagine that sometimes even the smell of food is enough to make her feel queasy.

Also, for the ceremonial welcome, it would be easy to pick an outfit that's comfortable to wear whereas a formal dinner with gown and tiara may be just a bit too much for her right now.
I agree with you.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Couldn't someone we've never heard off be chucked orff the table to allow William and Catherine to attend?
No - that is bad manners and HMQ wouldn't do that. She makes a plan, invites the people and that is it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Normally Charles and Camilla do this role. Will they be in South America at the time? I find it weird that even William won't attend the banquet, even if Kate doesn't.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

One must first be invited to attend a State Banquet
Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Normally Charles and Camilla do this role. Will they be in South America at the time? I find it weird that even William won't attend the banquet, even if Kate doesn't.
They are not in S America. Tour starts 28 October till 5 November

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Heir Apparent

State visit of the President of Singapore: 21-23 October 2014

Did one of the royal correspondents actually say that WK are not going to the state dinner because they don't normally say what royals are attending ahead of time?

They actually have guests on standby for state dinners that eat in a room off the state dining room in case they need a filler. It's usually some members of the royal household. It's like the Oscars.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

This maybe a low key state visit - like one last year that only had Edward and Sophie attending the state meal even though other royals were around. Anne will be in Australia at that time so she won't be there and it is normal for Camilla to take a week in a spa or somewhere similar to prepare for a visit to a hot climate so I wouldn't be surprised if she won't be there either. That would leave Sophie as the senior royal woman available.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Did one of the royal correspondents actually say that WK are not going to the state dinner because they don't normally say what royals are attending ahead of time?

They actually have guests on standby for state dinners that eat in a room off the state dining room in case they need a filler. It's usually some members of the royal household. It's like the Oscars.

It's totally understandable if they can't go to the State Banquet because Catherine isn't up to it. Other than that, what will it take for them to attend a simple State Banquet? The whole thing is rather simple. You sit for two speeches, stand for two national anthem and the rest is eating and chatting. It's not that hard. It's crazy to take the lead in the welcoming ceremony and then not attend the dinner. I think it's all down to how Catherine feel. If she's all good, they'll go.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It's totally understandable if they can't go to the State Banquet because Catherine isn't up to it. Other than that, what will it take for them to attend a simple State Banquet? The whole thing is rather simple. You sit for two speeches, stand for two national anthem and the rest is eating and chatting. It's not that hard. It's crazy to take the lead in the welcoming ceremony and then not attend the dinner. I think it's all down to how Catherine feel. If she's all good, they'll go.

Morning sickness is misunderstood by those who have never had it. You don't just throw up in the morning, you can be physically sick all day & night, anytime of the day & night. I can't imagine anything worse then feeling nauseas, knowing you could be physically ill at any moment AND having to make polite conversation when the smell of food is making your stomach turn. It is also exhausting when the nutrients you take in are coming right back out! Kate will be drained physically and her energy levels are not the same.
Be happy for her to turn up at the welcome ceremony. I agree, if she is over this period by then and feels fine, she will make the call.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 10-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

If we take the HG and put it to the side, does anyone think that WK would be going to the state dinner if she wasn't pregnant?

On paper, this one seems ideal since they were in Singapore in 2012. But the palace seems reluctant to use them for state dinners or the other types of receptions at BP that are often held. WK have only been to a couple of the other receptions. Which makes their attendance at the Diplomatic dinner last yr seem strange because its the most protocol heavy thing the palace does.