State Visit from the President of Singapore: October 21-24, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Michael's dress was hideous. Hurt my eyes.

Princess Michael attended but not Prince Michael. I guess Princess Michael was Prince Andrew's 'date'.

If Prince Charles redecorates BP, IMO, he will keep it to the same style as it is now with the same amount of 'clutter'. He and Camilla do not mind family pieces 'cluttering' their houses.

I totally agree about William having minimalistic taste. If he furnishes BP, it would look like a real estate staged house rather than a lived in house/Palace.

Poor Andrew, always the 5th wheel.

I hope they don't redecorate BP as I think it should remain the way it is as it's history. The people who live in the apartments can redecorate how they want, but the public rooms I feel should remain the same.

I think that is exactly what will happen - the palace is owned by the nation and not by the BRF so it is part of the nation's heritage and thus any refurbishment would have to meet the stringent requirements of the heritage people and after over a century of looking the way they do I think they will remain like that.

The palace was rewired electrically in 1949 and hasn't been done since for electricity but the palace itself looked great the last time I was there - but of course the carpets used for the summer openings aren't the same ones used for state occasions (they are replicas and harder wearing due to the 1000s of people who go through it each year.

Today's fabrics and rugs would never hold up like those used in the staterooms in 1901. I'm not really concerned about any redecorating, as I will be gone before the IKEA King (William) comes to the throne. By then, he'll probably be out of the "modern" mindset anyway. As people age, they want to be surrounded with photos, doo-dads and other things that add warmth to a place.

Last edited:
What the heck is an IKEA King?

When was the last time Buckingham Palace had any structural work on it?

I hope you are just making a joke. :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Yes, 'twas a joke. There is a Disney film, 101 Dalmatians, in which the villainess Cruella DeVille attempts to collect enough puppies to make a coat for herself. Naturally, she fails. When that movie was popular, there were Dalmatian print fake fur coats for children.

Interiors can change because also the taste changes in time. An example is the Royal Palace in Amsterdam (build 1648) which was restored in the 1960's, to the bare minimum of that time: lots of marble, no curtains but blinds, etc. In the period 2005-2010 the building was closed for another major restoration.

The "cold palace" was partially brought back in the Empire style of around 1800. Lost chandeliers and candelabras were re-found and restored. New tapestries and upholstery were ordered. The furniture all was painfully precize restored. Suddenly the palace has a "warm feel". So it does not need to return to an "empty" building, but often it will be more strict in style corresponding with a period.

Moses and Aaron Chamber (before): http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/766/205595-800-539.jpg

Moses and Aaron Chamber (after): http://perssupport.nl/apssite/binar.../2013/05/07/Vroedschapskamer+005+-+Ruigrokjpg

One of the guest suites (before):
http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/090/206309-800-542.jpg

The same guest suite (after): http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/gastenverblijf_1_56015!image/3631203778.jpg

The throne room (before): http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/ODMwWDYxNA==/z/31YAAOSwFAZTtZR7/$_85.JPG

The throne room (after): http://www.refdag.nl/polopoly_fs/schepenzaal_of_troonzaal_1_56033!image/3085116572.jpg

A restoration can result in a drastic change, as the pictures show.

Last edited:
Poor Andrew, always the 5th wheel. ... [snipped]
It is the interesting that the main wheel decided not to attend. I wonder what Singapore and its President did to Prince Charles. Techincally speaking, state visits are a part of Prince Charles' and his spouse' job.

Techincally speaking, state visits are a part of Prince Charles' and his spouse' job.

There are many things that are part of their jobs and state visits are just one of them. What's the point of having a large royal family if they can't cover for each other. Here in Sweden for instance the kings sister Christina often takes part in royal functions and she's not even officially part of the royal house. The same goes for Astrid in Norway.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Prince Charles was carrying out engagements in Scotland

There are many things that are part of their jobs and state visits are just one of them. What's the point of having a large royal family if they can't cover for each other. Here in Sweden for instance the kings sister Christina often takes part in royal functions and she's not even officially part of the royal house. The same goes for Astrid in Norway.
This means that Prince Andrew should not be referred to as the fifth wheel. He is not an unnecessary extra in this case. I am very very far from being Prince Andrew's fan, but he is criticised by royal watchers for no reason at all.

It is the interesting that the main wheel decided not to attend. I wonder what Singapore and its President did to Prince Charles. Techincally speaking, state visits are a part of Prince Charles' and his spouse' job.

And yet they miss quite a number of them - last year at this time as well there was a State Visit that they missed and earlier last year the most senior royal to attend the State Visit was Edward (besides the Queen and Philip).

Meeting European Heads of Mission is also an important role for the Head of State but this year it was done by Charles in Scotland - why - because it was on the same day. Surely that 'receiving' should have been done by The Queen?

The royal family organise their schedules months in advance so The Queen knew who was available for the State Visit and who she wanted or needed to be in attendance. She approved Camilla putting her son's book launch first and sent her eldest son and heir to Scotland to carry out duties there.

State Visits are NOT part of the job description of the heir to the throne at all given the recent evidence in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom