State Visit from the President of Mexico: March 30-April 2, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the pics Lucien.
Has there ever been a state visit from mexico before?
x

Belga(EPA) & ANP(EPA/AFP/WPA).

BelgaPicture - Category details

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

Rex(Roo) and Daylife(AP/Getty) have photos.

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7972816.stm

"In pictures: Mexican state visit(Getty)."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...t-given-George-Orwells-1984-by-the-Queen.html

"Mexico's president given George Orwell's 1984 by the Queen."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...y-the-Queen-on-his-state-visit-to-the-UK.html

"Felipe Calderon, president of Mexico, is welcomed by the Queen on his state visit to the UK."

A photogallery.

Last edited:
Wow, what a tiara on HM! Anyone have any idea which one it is? Looks like aquamarines -- that center stone is a stunner!

...and now I'll answer my own question. :) It's an aquamarine and diamond tiara made by Garrards in 1957. The center stone was originally a part of a necklace given to The Queen by the President and people of Brazil (so it seems it's sometimes called the "Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara"). Here's a link from the Royal Collection.

Last edited:
Wow, what a tiara on HM! Anyone have any idea which one it is? Looks like aquamarines -- that center stone is a stunner!

...and now I'll answer my own question. :) It's an aquamarine and diamond tiara made by Garrards in 1957. The center stone was originally a part of a necklace given to The Queen by the President and people of Brazil (so it seems it's sometimes called the "Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara"). Here's a link from the Royal Collection.

You are correct Ella Kay! I do find this design rather unfortunate, the big center stone of the tiara just ruins the entire look. The base of the tiara is actually nice, the half circles aren't al that bad but it seems they just had one big aquamarine left, didn't know what to do with it and though, let's place it in the center.

If they would alter the piece so that the top only has the half circles and use the big aquamarine as a brooch I think it would look much better.

-
Any ideas about the programme btw, or doesn;t the British Royal website release that?

Does anybody know if Charles & Camilla were present?
According to the Court Circular, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of York, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, with Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were the only Royals present.

I believe the duchess of Cornwall was ill?

Well, all the best to her!

It seems the duchess of Gloucester was 'replacing' the duchess fo Cornwall as she was seated next to the president. The duchess was wearing her Indian tiara that was inherited from princess Marie-Louise by the princess Alice, Dss of Gloucester.

Well, I can't say I'm all too happy about the Duchess of Cornwall missing the banquet because I so enjoy her tiara events. When is the next one?
However, it is always nice to see the Duchess of Gloucester and her very nice collection of jewels. She is a lovely lady indeed~!

Mexican President Felipe Calderon sits with Prince Andrew, Duke of York
during a question and answer session at a UK-Mexico Business Seminar
on March 31, 2009 in London, England

-------> Pic

Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester, Lady Mayoress Lin Luder, President of
the United Mexican States Felipe Calderon, Lord Mayor of the City of
London Ian Luder, Senora Margarita Zavala and Prince Richard, Duke
of Gloucester pose for a photo before the State Banquet at Guildhall on
March 31, 2009 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester, Lady Mayoress Lin Luder, President of
the United Mexican States Felipe Calderon, Lord Mayor of the City of
London Ian Luder, Senora Margarita Zavala and Prince Richard, Duke
of Gloucester pose for a photo before the State Banquet at Guildhall on
March 31, 2009 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Duchess looks lovely again, I wonder of the Lady Mayoress own the tiara of if its borrowed or does it "go with the job" and belong to the city of london?:flowers:

It's so boringly predictable that the Gloucesters would go to the Guildhall banquet. I wish they would rotate it more. I would love to see Edward and Sophie attend now and then; Prince and Princess M or Princess Alexandra. It dosn't help that the Gloucesters are my least favourites in the family. I always think that the Duchess adores being Royal and looks a bit too smug when she's at the centre of whats going on. I know that goes against popular opinion but it's what I've always felt about her. I wouldn't mind if she and her husband had a bit of charisma but IMO they don't so I find their constant presence at Guildhall banquets irritating. Lets see some other Royals at them!

P.S. Are those blue and red dresses she wore to the banquets the only ones she has?

The Duchess looks lovely again, I wonder of the Lady Mayoress own the tiara of if its borrowed or does it "go with the job" and belong to the city of london?:flowers:
Even nowadays, many women own tiaras, either new, secondhand or inherited. :flowers:

Pics 2.4.2009

Mexican President Felipe Calderon and his wife Margarita Zavala
bid farewell to Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip, the
Duke of Edinburgh after a four day State visit, at Buckingham
Palace on April 2, 2009, in London, United Kingdom.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

It's so boringly predictable that the Gloucesters would go to the Guildhall banquet. I wish they would rotate it more. I would love to see Edward and Sophie attend now and then; Prince and Princess M or Princess Alexandra. It dosn't help that the Gloucesters are my least favourites in the family. I always think that the Duchess adores being Royal and looks a bit too smug when she's at the centre of whats going on. I know that goes against popular opinion but it's what I've always felt about her. I wouldn't mind if she and her husband had a bit of charisma but IMO they don't so I find their constant presence at Guildhall banquets irritating. Lets see some other Royals at them!

P.S. Are those blue and red dresses she wore to the banquets the only ones she has?

Prince and Princess Michael have attended the Guildhall banquet - certainly Marie-Christine is one woman who loves her royal status :rolleyes:

The Duchess of Gloucester is fanatastic at these sorts of events - she is always dressed correctly -normally in either the blue dress or red dress as they are classic state visit gowns and rather than waste money she recycles these probably for the past 15-20 years goodness thats way her, Anne, Alexandra and the Queen are the 'perfect' royals in the way they carry out their duty. DoG always has beautiful jewels (she has collection to rival any major royal with at least 6 tiaras), always in the correct orders and decorations for the visit.

I really appreciate the work she and her husband do for the Royal family (she was the first female member of the British family to visit troops in Iraq) and they leave certain more senior members to be shamed for their pityful engagement count :whistling:

Actually im going to start a campaign for the Duchess to be given the Garter she certainly deserves it

Last edited:
I know, and I really enjoyed watching the Michaels of Kent at the Guildhall. I hoped that it would be the start of them going reguarly but it seems that they were only asked when the Duke of Gloucester was out of action with a motorcycle injury and when he recovered it was back to him and his wife doing it nearly all the time again. I don't disagree that the Duchess dresses nicely etc but I do find them really boring as a couple and I have a feeling that she would be really snobbish. I think Princess M does like being Royal but it dosn't bother me because she seems to have a bit of personality and glamour to go with it as does Princess Alexandra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom