State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If im not mistaken we will see some more glittering pics this evening with the banquet at the Guildhall...

I think Carla dressed with class and elegance. Nothing outstanding but nothing to be shamed of. She is representing a country and trying not to outshine her husband. The colors were a little boring...I was hoping for somethign along the lines of Caroline of Hanover (but even she makes a mistake every now and then) but on the whole.... I thought she looked nice.

And yes, Anne's dress is a repeat. Its still a great dress...but I wonder what she would like in another color. Any pics of Sophie's dress?

Does anyone know how this visit is being reported in France?

I know Carla is very tall and probably doesn't want to wear heels because she would tower over her husband. I wish she would have worn heels with a few of those outfits it would have made a big difference. Sounds like the British media is in love with her. I think she did well considering a year ago she was sitting in her home somewhere singing folk songs.

Maybe - but show me one pic of Diana at an official occasion wearing such ugly clothes and such non-existing colour. I'm not fond of her purple coat either - somehow she is not the best ambassador for French Fashion. Just compare her outfits to those CP Mary wears on representing Danish Fashion.

i actually thought she dressed superb. i can't judge on what a representant of french fashion she is simply because i don't know whether she was dressed with clothes from a french label or not, but if it were french, i'd definitely buy it. i think they were all exquisite combinations.

i doubt she can be compared with mary. to start with, carla is no ambassador to french fashion at the moment and has no official duty to promote it, as mary does. also... how can we compare the clothes wore by someone representing danish fashion and someone else representing french fashion? this is very much linked to how different the two tastes and cultures are in that regard. so obviously, the way they are going to dress is very much dependant on the actual style the countries convey: while danish fashion strives for innovation and novelty, french fashion tends to be relatively traditional with that 'french something'.

Does anyone know how this visit is being reported in France?

Carla is of course on all the covers, praised for her style, discretion ...a "sans faute" for many newpapers. (Just seen her speech in english in the news by the way). Some papers are iritated by the Christies thing and are not very sweet with the british press.
Some critics for the president: sometimes out of place, not at ease...

Any pics of Sophie's dress?

According to the court circular, sophie did not attend...neither did princess alexandra or the duchess of gloucester...

In the photo of the group coming into the banquet at Windsor, who is the older lady in white with a sash at the end?

I seen a closeup of Princess Michael's gown, just exquisite.

Could you post the close up pic of Princess Michael's gown Charlottestreasures as I saw it from a distance and it looked beautiful so I would love to see it up close?

Judging from the news reports and pics I have seen of the Guildhall banquet the Duke of Gloucester appears to have gone on his own. He attended the Windsor banquet on his own also so I suppose the Duchess must have fallen ill or something as she was due to have attended these events with him.

Stunning, she is just stunning. I would say this visit is a real success for them both. The right mix of just being....French, the passion which showed in his speeches, her demure sense of style and refined manner. She is the First Lady of France, and showed nothing but the best representation for the French Republic....

It matters because they had a lot riding on this both domestically and internationally. They both rose to the occasion and whether we like, agree, dislike, love, hate, whatever, it was a success....at least to me..

Could you post the close up pic of Princess Michael's gown Charlottestreasures as I saw it from a distance and it looked beautiful so I would love to see it up close?

You can see her in the background of this photo from Getty. and the other is a close-up that I seen posted on another board - Glittering Jewels .

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Princess Michael

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/80391664.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933B836CAF14D5D5C8FFF76FB81FE2BB31284831B75F48EF45

From close-up I have the feeling that Carla had some plastic surgery either on her nose or on her lips.
This morning German "RTL" mentioned her being admired of wearing Dior because it´s a French level but has a british designer. So a clever decision.

From close-up I have the feeling that Carla had some plastic surgery either on her nose or on her lips.
This morning German "RTL" mentioned her being admired of wearing Dior because it´s a French level but has a british designer. So a clever decision.

She had her work done years ago. I remember seeing Carla on Style with Elsa Klensch on CNN Saturday mornings when I was a kid, and her face looks exactly the same as it did back in the early 90's. Obviously, she's had some work done on her nose and other places, but it's nothing new and everyone knows it.

As for the state visit. It seems to have been a success. Everyone looked divine (especially Carla who looked fabulous), and I'm sure the overall purpose was accomplished.

It matters because they had a lot riding on this both domestically and internationally. They both rose to the occasion and whether we like, agree, dislike, love, hate, whatever, it was a success....at least to me..

Yeah, to me either. I enjoyed every detail of this Visit. Carla was very beautiful and I believe everyone felt enchantée by her presence and style. :flowers:
I loved to see the Queen's tiara, what a beautiful piece of art.

Thank you all for the great pictures!

I think she looked very appropriate for this visit. I think she just can't win if she wore heels and really colorful clothes she would have been accused of trying to get attention. When she dresses simply she is dull and boring. I loved the purple coat and dress and the last evening gown I think she looked lovely.

Judging from the news reports and pics I have seen of the Guildhall banquet the Duke of Gloucester appears to have gone on his own. He attended the Windsor banquet on his own also so I suppose the Duchess must have fallen ill or something as she was due to have attended these events with him.
It is likely so, i got the same thought as well. She could have been sick, and unable to attend the events. Also missing out is Princess Alexandra of Kent as well.

Thanks for the photo!:flowers:
The champagne colour and emeralds match well. I commend Princess Michael for her glamorous outfit.

Madame Sarkozy’s gala dress became her well. Slightly paraphrasing Zonk, it was a good, but not outstanding choice. As for Madame Sarkozy’s wardrobe in general, I have to say that she opted for simple clean lines and somewhat cold tones (grey, navy, claret, or purple). I like her style because I follow the above approach when it comes to my own wardrobe.
It is great that Daily Mail provided a close-up of Rashida Dati’s dress. She is so effortlessly chic.:wub:

Last edited:
Please can someone tell me if there a particular reason why the President received the Order of Bath rather than a different order ? Also, was he wearing the same sash at the Guildhall or was this the Legion d'Honneur?

The Queen typically gives the Order of Bath to visiting heads of states, including other sovereigns (I believe the King of Jordan received it on his 2001 state visit). She rarely hands out the Order of the Garter to another head of state, usually only other monarchs and only after they have been on the throne for many, many years. King Hussein of Jordan is the only non-European monarch I am aware of who has ever received the Garter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom