State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madame Royale--always a pleasure! And, I am in complete agreement with you. I am waiting impatiently for this tiara to reappear on the head of our Duchess. I think she would look wonderful wearing it and she needs a more subdued piece.
That being said, the riviere alone is enough to make me happy!

What can I say, jcbcode99? You're a woman of remarkable taste! Indeed, t'is always a pleasure...:flowers:

I find that Carla Sarkozy seems to dress well - but her shoes are awful! She looked like a schoolgirl today upon her arrival in her flat, plain shoes and tonight --- again flat shoes that don't go with her dress at all.
Is she afraid to wear heels which would be more elegant because then she would be taller than her husband?
Queen Noor was always taller than King Hussein and she always looked so elegant -
I mean it is a fact: Carla is taller than her husband so go ahead and wear heels and not those dumb flat shoes which look cheap and too youthful -

i see nothing wrong with carla's shoes. in fact, i like them. they seem a special design of some jimmy choo's in flat. it would obviously be completely inappropriate to wear high heels when she is clearly the tallest out of her husband, the queen and prince phillip, even in flats.

i prefered her purple dress, this one makes her look much older! it is nevertheless still very elegant and the shoes are the highlight!

For me The Queen's dress, which I know is a typical style or at least the same dress she wears often, is kind of saggy!!

Always white in eveningwear,there isn't a tablecloth left by now.
Dubbed her "Tablecloth Lilly" years ago,dear Lillibeth,the outstanding and astounding octagenarian.

The press coverage is excellent, and impressive, this morning in France. Of course Carla is on all the covers. She's praised for her retro style and her discretion, the new french glam weapon.
As you can see in my earlier posts i was not at all fan of the "Sarkozy circus", but i must confess that i am quite pleased by the new first lady: charm, elegance and the most discretion. Hope that she will stay like this...

As it is known that the queen reads the Telegraph, I guess she'll smile about this article about the mother of Nicolas Sarkozy:

Nicolas Sarkozy, his mother and the Queen - Telegraph

Nicolas Sarkozy, his mother and the Queen

A quote from the article:
And, more significantly, she is of the same generation as the Queen and may find they have much in common over the cucumber sandwiches. So after Mme Sarkozy Snr has made sure Nicolas has taken off his naff Rolex and that Carla's dress isn't too low-cut, she can settle down with Her Majesty to enjoy a mutual complaining session about their difficult sons: why on earth did he have to marry again? Why on earth does he spend so much money? And isn't it a shame about his ears? For once on a state visit, the Queen could be amused.

And now ladies and gentlemen a very expected lady, perfect as usual:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Thank you for the pictures. :flowers: Needless to say I think Camilla looked fantastic, I was very disappointed with Mrs Sarkozy's evening outfit after her earlier elegant attire when she arrived. :flowers: The suit she then wore, was a complete disaster.

I hate to agree with the D Mail on anything, but they are right when they say that Mrs Sarkozy seemed to spend a lot of time 'posing' for the cameras.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Carla Sarkozi was very well all the time. The first outfit was a bit boring (especially the color of it) but she behaved perfectly well.
I liked her gala dress a lot! The color is beautiful, and the shape of it is really apropriate. I don't care if she didn't wear big jewel. She is already so pretty that she doesn't need them to shine.
Camilla and the french ministers were very elegant too. And the Queen was regal and lovely (as usual!!).

What makes me surprise is the presence of the mothers/mothers in law. It is so weird. They may be great fans of Queen Elizabeth but this should be an official trip, not a family tour to the Palace. They were the worst dressed, imo.

Thank you for the pictures. :flowers: Needless to say I think Camilla looked fantastic, I was very disappointed with Mrs Sarkozy's evening outfit after her earlier elegant attire. :flowers:

Some papers have comments saying that Carla Bruni was like a model playing the role of "First Lady" in all demureness. Well, sounds plausible. But does anybody think she would have chosen the same drab clothes if Diana was still alive and married to Charles? I seriously doubt it.

And how unfair to compare a sixty-year-old "normal" woman to a fourty-year-old ex-model. If they wanted a fair comparison I must say I liked the pics of Camilla better, as she seemed to be the genuine article while Carla Bruni obviously posed. And in some close-ups you can see that Bruni is already far advanced in aging. She seems to have already reached the point of the, as we say in Germany, F or F-decision: Fett oder Falten, means fat or crinkles.:D Bruni obviously goes for crinkles...

Somehow I find that the style Bruni displayed was not genuine - it's not what she usually wears in France on similar occasions (or so some papers claim) and it's not what the First lady of France should wear in my humble opinion. Is drab grey really the fashion colour of this spring?

I

What makes me surprise is the presence of the mothers/mothers in law. It is so weird. They may be great fans of Queen Elizabeth but this should be an official trip, not a family tour to the Palace.

I wonder if this will become fashionable? Bringing the whole family to an official visit? Maybe Andrew started the trend when he took his daughter with him on tour? :D

The Queen looked great! Wow, this is a gorgeous Tiara! Suits her very well.
The Duchess of Cornwall also looked really elegant.

I don't want to comment on Carla Sarkozy's outfits.

Somehow I find that the style Bruni displayed was not genuine - it's not what she usually wears in France on similar occasions (or so some papers claim) and it's not what the First lady of France should wear in my humble opinion. Is drab grey really the fashion colour of this spring?
I think she was caught, if she had worn anything 'exciting', the papers would have ripped her to shreds. Every media outlet was full of the nude picture, she had to try to downplay it. Why I don't know, it was taken a few years ago, most people have a past and although it is not something I would choose to do..... As many of the people interviewed in the street told Sky news, it just proves that 'the media are scum'!

13 pages (and counting) of comments, news and pics. We can say that this tour is successful, from both the British-French and TRF points of view. :D
Two bonuses: a curtsey for HM from Madame Sarkozy (not required by protocol but a mark of personal respect); and the increased number of 'gala' pics that have been made available compared to the usual meagre one or two that BP allows the public to see.

Lastly, on behalf of the British Moderating team, I would like to give a special thanks to Paty for the extensive pic, news and gallery contributions she has made to this thread. :flowers:

Warren
BritMod

Last edited:
PRESIDENT SARKOZY'S SPEECH TO MEMBERS OF UK HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT

Article from BBC
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Sarkozy woos the British

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today Events

The President of The French Republic and Madame Nicolas Sarkozy will formally bid farewell to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle.

11:00h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will visit Carlton Gardens, the President will lay a wreath at the Statue of General de Gaulle.

11:20h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will visit 10 Downing Street.

12:30h
The President of The French Republic and the Prime Minister will visit the Emirates Stadium to attend the UK-France Summit where they will give a Press Conference.

13:30h
The President is entertained to luncheon by the Prime Minister on behalf of Her Majesty's Government.
Madame Sarkozy is entertained to luncheon by Mrs Brown at Lancaster House.

15:40h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will proceed to Greenwich.

16:15h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will then visit the Old Royal Naval College.

17:30h
Recepcion to the French comunity.

19:30h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will attend a Banquet at Guildhall given by The Lord Mayor and Corporation of London.
They will be acompanied by the Duke and the Duchess of Gloucester

Source/ British Monarchy web and Elysee Palace

Last edited:
I really think that it's the best evening look for Camilla so far:
-Beautiful dress
-Good color
-Not too much cleavage
-Nice combination btw the necklace and the tiara (far more lighter, and elegant, than the 5 rows of the Greeville Necklace).

I am certqainly in the camp that believes that Camilla (and surprisingly, Anne) looked great at the banquet. Camilla's dress and jewellery suited her perfectly, and she certainly looked very comfortable and very regal - not that I am suggesting the two are mutually exclusive.

The clothes and jewellery that Camilla wore (other than the tiara) were the same as what she wore on her 60th birthday - again reinforcing the view that she is a conssummate recycler of her wonderful collection of dresses and gowns.

As has already been mentioned on the forums, Anne, looked very elegant and rather surprisingly, appeared to havee a new dress on. Surely that must be the first new dress for state occassions that Anne must have got in over 10 years!

So many nice pics, thank you for posting!:flowers:

I watched a coverage from BBC World last night, nice to see beginning of the banquet live and so to feel bit of the special atmosphere.

The royal ladies looked great! Good to see the Duchess of Cornwall next to the Queen and the French president. She looked so stunning!:wub:

Mr Sarkozy is a real good speaker, i enjoyed to hear (and see) his speech before the dinner.

Ms Sarkozy looked pretty, but not glamorous (IMO) .For a First Lady she will need more charisma too. We´ll see if she will get another image than to be an ex-model, good for another scandal...

Last edited:
Well, I am happy as I can be seeing the Queen Mother's ruby necklace re-emerge. That is just completely exciting--but even more so is the brooch which Queen Elizabeth is wearing!!!!! It was her mother's, and QEQM wore it to her coronation, and over on the RJOTW message board it has been agreed that the brooch has not been seen since 1937! This IS an exciting day for us jewel enthusiasts!
Now, the Burmese--not my favorite, but it's growing on me. HM always looks wonderful.
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall---is that the riviere she wore for her 60th birthday party, the one which was the Queen Mother's? She looks spectacular--the tiara doesn't look heavy, the necklace is perfect--she looks wonderful--except that she needs a sash......
The Princess Royal looks FANTASTIC. Truly. I am impressed, normally, she's a little frumpy, but she looks elegant.
Princess Michael, I think that is her in the group photo--always looks wonderful.
Mrs. Sarkozy--stunningly beautiful woman. WIsh I could see the necklace better.
No Countess of Wessex?????

jcbcode99 - Are you sure the ruby necklace was from QM? I thought it was the one the Queen had bought for herself from auction in the 1960s.

Carla look very cute in this photos and very relax. Like her shoe too..
I am not sure about the brown shoes with the grey suit and the purple coat, I mean black shoes would have been more appropriated, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think she was caught, if she had worn anything 'exciting', the papers would have ripped her to shreds. Every media outlet was full of the nude picture, she had to try to downplay it.

But that obvious way? Looking like a pupil from the lycee? I wonder why Dior did create such an outfit at all - I doubt it would sell even at sales because it looks so unfashionable - even slim Carla Bruni looked in it as if she was pregnant.... :D

As for "exiting" - there surely is more variety in French fashion than this or "daring". IMHO she looked as if she was a sinner on her way to confession, already wearing the penitent's sackcloth and ashes. I mean, even Camilla who was dressed rather low-key appeared a peacock compared to that drabness.

Why I don't know, it was taken a few years ago, most people have a past and although it is not something I would choose to do..... As many of the people interviewed in the street told Sky news, it just proves that 'the media are scum'!
The media? It was Christie's who gave the media the excuse - they could have selected another moment for bringing that picture to auction, IMHO.
Maybe the French press is not too happy having an Italian First Lady with a racy past after they were presented a French dame before they voted the husband président and now the Sarkozy's trying to show what an exceptionally well-behaved and close family they are, bringing even their mammas as kind of chaperonnes for Carla... :D

Carla Sarkozy has looked totally appropriate the entire trip. Her down played outfits the first day and the stunning blue gown for the banquet. And to top it off the striking purple jacket she wore was just outstanding. I am glad that she pulled her hair up for the banquet dinner, she looked very chic and simple. Bravo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom