State Visit from the President of China: October 20-23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine in red with a Lotus tiara, Very cliche.

Bright red at the head table when everyone is in muted colors... The 'look at me' syndrome.

The Duchess of Gloucester was suffering from the same syndrome then. It must be contagious. :ermm:

You know, I'm just glad the Cambridge's are stepping up their game on the official duty side. It puts to rest all the speculations that they wouldn't attend a State Banquet until Charles is on the throne or until they are full-time members of the royal family. It was just time for William and Catherine to fully participate in a State Visit. Tomorrow, they'll carry out another engagement with the President and First Lady.

Interesting headline. It's too bad that Sophie Rhys-Jones and Camilla Shand were unable to attend. They could have given Kate Middleton and Birgitte Henriksen some company. I think Marie Christine von Reibnitz might have been there as well.

IMO, the reason Charles and Camilla did not attend was because the Queen wanted to see if Catherine was good enough to receive her Family Order.

The Queen outfitted Catherine with all her jewels and place her at the head table so that she can listen to Catherine to see if Catherine passes the State Dinner conversation and etiquette test.
Catherine was seated between two Chinese gentlemen - a bit hard to pass the conversation part of the test when the parties don't speak a common language. Queen Elizabeth was more likely eavesdropping on her husband hoping he didn't make another of his famous off the cuff remarks.
What struck me was how well the red of Catherine's dress blended with the colors of the rooms and the floral arrangements.
What surprised (and delighted) me was the Queen wearing sapphires, I sort of expected rubies so it was a treat to see the more rarely worn sapphire tiara.
Next up - Harry needs to attend a state banquet. Of course he can perhaps be spared front table center depending on who else is present.

The Duchess of Gloucester was suffering from the same syndrome then. It must be contagious. :ermm:

Not mention Camilla's huge hat earlier if that's not a look at me everyone then I don't know what is.
Kate's dress was great.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Does the queen really have one more free RFO? Or it is necessary to find diamonds, to make a miniature, etc. It's quite expensive thing

AFAIK, there should be three in the Vaults. The Queen Mum's, Princess Margaret's and Diana's. Actually, I can see Kate being given Diana's for the obvious reasons. Not that we'll ever know of course, but it wouldn't be a surprise. :)

If the Queen was displeased with Katherine I don't think she would've let her wear the bracelet Prince Philip gave her as a wedding present.

Exactly!! That gesture right there should put a stop to all the silliness and pot stirring about their relationship. It won't and that to me is just plain sad.

I thought everyone looked amazing and lovely to see Princess Alexandra there. Considering just how sick HRH was not so very long ago, it really is a gift to all of us this elegant lady is back in the Royal swing of things again. Plus I adore The Ogilvy Tiara. It is IMO, one of the very, very few successful attempts of taking a set of brooches/hair clips (can't remember which) and redesigning/converting them into a very beautiful Tiara for a very elegant Princess.

I was hoping one of the Royal Ladies would be wearing Red tonight and we didn't only have one, but two!! It's not just a nod to China's Flag, but is a very important and symbolic colour in Chinese culture, because it's the colour of Good Luck and Fortune. At Chinese New Year, it's tradition to give a certain amount of coins (I forget how many coins are given each year, as Numerology's used to figure out just what the Lucky Number of Coins are IIRC) in red pouches. When the number of coins are combined w/the red of the pouches, it's supposed to increase how much Good Luck and Fortune the person/s will have during the New Year.

It's been a few years since I learned that, and we all know how Memory can be, but AFAIK Red being such an important colour and why to the Chinese is right. So for both Kate and Brigitte to be wearing Red Gowns to *this* State Banquet wasn't for attention seeking, but showing their Guests they truly hope and wish this Visit is very Lucky and filled w/Good Fortune foe both China and the UK. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the RFO, there are 14 known recipients. Six currently-Duchesses of Kent, Gloucester, Princess Alexandra plus Sophie, Anne and Camilla. 8 that are deceased: Queen Mary, Margaret, Diana, Queen Mum, Princess Mary, Dowager Duchesses of Kent & Gloucester and Princess Alice Countess of Athlone.

Queen Mary, Princess Mary and Marina died before the 70s so those orders got reused most likely. Alice Countess of Athlone died in 81. You had QM, Marg, Anne, Di, Duch of Kent, Gloucester, Alex, dowg. Duch of Gloucester . Alive all at the same time with the order so there are at least eight. So with 6 current holders there are 2 for sure that are left.

Last edited:
Thanks to CCTV we have great videos of most of the Chinese State Visit including the guest arriving to the banquet and not just blurry images of a few members of the royal family and all without the nonsense chatter of some television stations. (Hopefully, someday, they will not place a large floral arrangement infront of Princess Anne so that she is visible.)

CCTV zoomed in to show Princess Alexandra and the Duchess of Gloucester reading the translated speech of President Xi Jinping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaTw5PNLhM

The Queen's carriage is pulled by a team of six horse. Prince Philips' carriage was pulled by a team of four horse and Charles and Camilla's carriage was pulled by only two. It was quite a bumpy ride for Charles, Camilla and guest.:lol: (23:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCBPd-upPFs

The Queen was subtle. She was not wearing green shamrocks.

The Lotus tiara and a different color dress would have been more appropriate.

The Duchess of Gloucester, is barely visible and there is no comparison.

Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra wore silver/white dresses.
White is more faux pas though, and The Queen wore that. It's a colour of mourning for the Chinese while red is a colour of happyness and good fortune. And since the room is so much red it's not as screaming as it would have been in another room. I think it was a very nice way to honour the guests.

This thread is all over the place....so a bit of housekeeping is necessary.

Please note that topic posts [i.e. maternity leave of Sophie and Kate, not so nice nick names, criticisms of the board, etc.] have been deleted as off topic. There are plenty discussion boards where you can call people names other than the ones that they have chosen to go by...this isn't one of those places.

Speculative posts about what Kate would rather be doing instead of being a working member of the BRF or interpreting the Queen's actions in regards to Kate have been deleted as well.

In addition, please continue the discussion about Kate's lack of RFO and the time frame of other royal ladies who have received this honor, in
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...er-royal-orders-and-decorations-12757-23.html . All Discussion about Catherine's workload should be here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...e-duties-roles-responsibilities-37233-86.html .

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please contact a member of the moderation team via PM.

Last edited:
White is more faux pas though, and The Queen wore that. It's a colour of mourning for the Chinese while red is a colour of happyness and good fortune. And since the room is so much red it's not as screaming as it would have been in another room. I think it was a very nice way to honour the guests.

No, her country her rules.
When the Queen visited China in 1986 she did not wear white. From the video you can see she wore red when she visited.

Nice side to the video one of speakers is Camilla's uncle who passed away 12 days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HFOkjhR3o

Last edited:
:previous:

"Her country her rules"? Are you serious? I mean... this is diplomatic situations. I'm not saying the Queen did diplomatically wrong (especially since Mrs President wore white earlier in the day), but to say that she shouldn't take into the account the culture of the visitors just seems... ignorant.

I have never been to Laeken or to Buckingham Palace (I've only seen them from the outside). I've been to the Dam Palace and to the Brussels Palace though and I must say I find the latter much more impressive than the former. Well, at least that is my personal opinion.

The Royal Palace in Brussels is "new" as the current state was completed in 1934 (!) Also Buckingham Palace is "new" in comparison with the palace in Amsterdam which has kept the original in- and exterior since 1655.

In the 1960's the palace was almost stripped to the bare marble 17th C state but in 2013 an extensive restoration has been finished and the whole interior has got the "warm" and lush feeling back. All in the 1960's removed curtains, chandeliers, carpets, furniture etc. were re-found on the atticks and depots and the palace looks totally different now.

Typical interior after the 1960's restoration: picture (back to the 17th C !)

Typical interior after the 2008-2013 restoration: picture (back to the 19th C !)

"Her country her rules"? Are you serious? I mean... this is diplomatic situations. I'm not saying the Queen did diplomatically wrong (especially since Mrs President wore white earlier in the day), but to say that she shouldn't take into the account the culture of the visitors just seems... ignorant.

This is standard.
When you or anyone visits another country you follow their rules. When they visit your country they follow your rules.

Last edited:
This is standard.
When you or anyone visits another country you follow their rules. When they visit your country they follow your rules.
Ofc you follow their rules as in stuff like that, but it doesn't mean you throw their rules out the window if they're your guests.

In the background of the first picture in the article you can see Catherine next to Tim Laurence.

President Xi Jinping and Peng Liyuan: China's first couple tour UK | World | News | Daily Express

Catherine seems to really like Tim, she always winds up next to him at events. After William, I think Tim is her favorite "Windsor".
Who ccan blame her. He seems absolutley delightful, and very safe. He must be really comforting for her to have around :)

You know, I'm just glad the Cambridge's are stepping up their game on the official duty side. It puts to rest all the speculations that they wouldn't attend a State Banquet until Charles is on the throne or until they are full-time members of the royal family. It was just time for William and Catherine to fully participate in a State Visit. Tomorrow, they'll carry out another engagement with the President and First Lady.

One key factor that placed the Cambridges in a prime role for the Chinese state banquet is because of the already ongoing diplomatic work with conservation and illegal poaching that William already has in the works with China. William's efforts are bringing China on board for the poaching issue. William hand delivered the invitation from the Queen to visit the UK. It was also William that was given a spot on Chinese TV the night before the banquet to address the Chinese people in regard to endangered animals. It wasn't just time for them to attend a state banquet. There were many reasons why they attended and played a key role at the head table.

I would imagine also that Kate had the full go ahead from the Queen to wear the red dress she did also. We know HM is very much involved in these state banquets from everything on the menu right down to the placement of the finger bowls and wardrobe would be no exception. Although Kate, at first glance, seems to be sticking to her penchant for simplicity, from head to toe, she wore some pretty impressive pieces on loan from HM. I don't think I have ever seen anyone but HM wear the bracelet that Philip had designed and had made for her as a wedding preset before. To me, that speaks volumes.

Relax I was not speaking against Charles and Camilla...I was just wondering why they weren't there...I just figured being a high profile event the seniors would be attending.

However since you brought it up...Charles was the PoW at 20 so he should of been doing them. William is merely the heir to the heir and not a full time royal.

LaRae

Well, it´s pretty striking that Charles and Camilla normally do attend every state banquet while residing in London, no matter if they welcomed the guests before or not! I´ve been seeing a TV report yesterday and it was said that Charles is very much opposed against China´s treatment of Tibet and its politics with human rights in general.

Because it would be some kind of an insult to the Queen, and to the other female members of the BRF.
I think the Duchess of Cambridge is just not the kind of woman to make such a statement for now...
And if she is really so passionate about it, alternatives to ivory exist. An order sans ivory could be made especially for her ...

No, there are no alternatives because this satin light yellow bow is, so to speak, an integral part of this specific order; you just couldn´t leave it (of course you could, but no one would ever do it). The Queen´s father´s was light pink and her grandfather´s blue. The order itself is always stiched to that bow.
Princess Diana herself once wore a flaming red dress and her RF order.

Well, it´s pretty striking that Charles and Camilla normally do attend every state banquet while residing in London, no matter if they welcomed the guests before or not! I´ve been seeing a TV report yesterday and it was said that Charles is very much opposed against China´s treatment of Tibet and its politics with human rights in general.

As much as I do realize Charles' personal feelings about China, Tibet and human rights, I don't think his non-attendance at the state banquet was for that reason. I seriously believe it was orchestrated that Charles and Camilla stay home and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge step into their position. Its a father's nod to his son's endeavors in diplomatic relations with China and a way to showcase it publicly. I'm willing to bet that Charles is one proud papa right about now. :D

As much as I do realize Charles' personal feelings about China, Tibet and human rights, I don't think his non-attendance at the state banquet was for that reason. I seriously believe it was orchestrated that Charles and Camilla stay home and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge step into their position. Its a father's nod to his son's endeavors in diplomatic relations with China and a way to showcase it publicly. I'm willing to bet that Charles is one proud papa right about now. :D

Why would it be a problem for all of them to attend? Normally state banquets are held with many members of the RF possible.
And isn´t it a bit strange for an heir to the throne not to attend and important event like this which only occurs about twice a year only yards away from his own home (5 min. walk, 30 sec. by limousine)?:whistling:

No, there are no alternatives because this satin light yellow bow is, so to speak, an integral part of this specific order; you just couldn´t leave it (of course you could, but no one would ever do it). The Queen´s father´s was light pink and her grandfather´s blue. The order itself is always stiched to that bow.
Princess Diana herself once wore a flaming red dress and her RF order.
I don't think they mean ivory as the colour of the bow. The portrait is painted on the material ivory

Well, who feels good about about the Tibet troubles? And were I ever so lucky to meet/know the Dalai Lama, I'd not much care that China was warned me off the friendship, either.

Someone earlier mentioned that the POW began attending state banquets by age 20. Will is 33. He made the formal invitation tho the President in his own visit to China. It was time. We know the generations are shifting focus/taking on responsibilities and taking learning opportunities. And look at the press coverage that was garnered. We got oodles of photos and screen grabs. And didn't have to wait a day to see most of them as we have for many state banquets.
We should be over the moon about all this. We got the tiaras. We got a lot of fashion and jewels to look at. People smiled and shook hands.

Charles and Camilla took on the afternoon greeting duties. It's not as if they hid below stairs. Can we move on?

@RoyalReporter: The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing a burgundy dress by Dolce & Gabbana today as she and Prince William host China's President Xi.

@KensingtonRoyal: The Duke and Duchess, the President and Madame Peng watch a film on the #UKChina Year of Cultural Exchange https://t.co/C1TXmJZdTh

@RoyalCentral: President Xi visited Imperial College with the Duke of York this morning (via @TheDukeOfYork)
https://t.co/TJ3xpXUMWK

@RoyalCentral: Photo time with Jackie Chan for William, Kate, President Xi and Madame Peng(via @QueenVicMirror)
https://t.co/gjTTnJgUOD

After an official welcome that glittered with royal engagements, the second day of Chinese state visit to Britain will focus on trade and the economy.

But President Xi Jinping’s day started with a touch of glamour, as he and his wife were greeted by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at an event celebrating creative ties between the two nations.

Stealing the show in a plum-coloured lace dress, Kate looked relaxed as she chatted with First Lady Peng Liyuan, a style icon in her own right, outside Lancaster House, in London, this morning. It comes just hours after the 33-year-old dazzled in a red gown at a state banquet at Buckingham Palace.

Later, Mr Xi will be hosted by the Prime Minister at Downing Street for a working lunch and talks with Cabinet ministers. The Government hopes this week’s state visit will secure more than £30 billion of trade deals, including huge investments in infrastructure projects.

Tonight the visiting dignitaries will join the Duke of York at a banquet at Guildhall, hosted by the Lord Mayor and the City of London.
Read more: Kate and William greet Chinese president on state visit | Daily Mail Online

It's so lovely to watch these videos! Could someone tell me who is the lady in grey wearing a tiara at minute 27:42 of the first video? She seems to be expecting and is very elegant and beautiful. She is also sitting in a prominent position.
I have read on another board that the lady is the Marchioness of Cholmondeley. Her husband the David_Cholmondeley,_7th_Marquess_of_Cholmondeley
is Lord Great Chamberlain of England.
Catherine was seated between two Chinese gentlemen - a bit hard to pass the conversation part of the test when the parties don't speak a common language. Queen Elizabeth was more likely eavesdropping on her husband hoping he didn't make another of his famous off the cuff remarks.
What struck me was how well the red of Catherine's dress blended with the colors of the rooms and the floral arrangements.
What surprised (and delighted) me was the Queen wearing sapphires, I sort of expected rubies so it was a treat to see the more rarely worn sapphire tiara.
Next up - Harry needs to attend a state banquet. Of course he can perhaps be spared front table center depending on who else is present.
I assume that many of the highest ranking Chinese guests spoke English well enough, so it must have been possible for Kate to keep up with the dinner conversation. Otherwise there would have been an interpreter placed behind those guests who don't speak English.

I agree about the red gown blending in with the scene. A blue gown would have stood out much more.
[...]
I would imagine also that Kate had the full go ahead from the Queen to wear the red dress she did also. We know HM is very much involved in these state banquets from everything on the menu right down to the placement of the finger bowls and wardrobe would be no exception. Although Kate, at first glance, seems to be sticking to her penchant for simplicity, from head to toe, she wore some pretty impressive pieces on loan from HM. I don't think I have ever seen anyone but HM wear the bracelet that Philip had designed and had made for her as a wedding preset before. To me, that speaks volumes.
I agree that the Queen must have known about Kate's red gown beforehand, and she must have approved it, or it wouldn't have been worn. HM always is very careful about every detail of these banquets. Also I can't imagine that HM would have just dug out some jewels from the vaults without making sure that they fit with the gown to be worn. The Queen and the court probably took good care that the Cambridges were prepared in every detail of the protocol, including right gown and right jewels.

Why would it be a problem for all of them to attend? Normally state banquets are held with many members of the RF possible.
And isn´t it a bit strange for an heir to the throne not to attend and important event like this which only occurs about twice a year only yards away from his own home (5 min. walk, 30 sec. by limousine)?:whistling:

I think that if Charles and Camilla had attended, they would have been seated where the Cambridges were placed and if the Cambridges did attend and seated elsewhere, the diplomatic part that William has played surrounding the China visit would have been lost in the shuffle. William is the most senior royal to visit China in almost 30 years. HM, The Queen visited China last in 1986 I believe.

HM obviously, to me, wanted Will and Kate to take a primary role in this banquet. Its her party and she issues the invites and I don't think many send regrets as a R.S.V.P.

One key factor that placed the Cambridges in a prime role for the Chinese state banquet is because of the already ongoing diplomatic work with conservation and illegal poaching that William already has in the works with China. William's efforts are bringing China on board for the poaching issue. William hand delivered the invitation from the Queen to visit the UK. It was also William that was given a spot on Chinese TV the night before the banquet to address the Chinese people in regard to endangered animals. It wasn't just time for them to attend a state banquet. There were many reasons why they attended and played a key role at the head table.

William and Kate 's position at the table was strictly precedent. If his father and stepmother were there, William and Kate would have been in the legs of the u with the other royals.

We also don't know what goes on behind palace doors, WK could be have been penciled in for last fall's state dinner for Singapore who they visited 2 years earlier but Kate's HG from Charlotte caused them to have to skip the dinner and just do the welcoming. We aren't ever going ever know.

Apparently Catherine forgot that a State Visit is an event at the highest protocollary level. The casual look with hanging hairs (giving her a slouching look) is conflicting with the matronly dress. The First Lady of China effortlessly blew the future Queen of the UK away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom