State Visit from the President of China: October 20-23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we can only expect that from Maxima !
Or HGD Stephanie! Stephanie wore 6 different tiaras for her first six tiara events! Even Maxima can't top that. I think Maxima already repeated a tiara for her fourth event.:lol:
Phantastic! A stunning look. What is known about those earrings? They are to die for.

As the future queen, Catherine should wear more significant jewels. But, again, she cannot be seen in public overshadowing Camilla (the future princess consort).

The papyrus tiara is far to be an insignificant jewel. It's way more substantial thant the Cartier halo.

The papyrus tiara is far to be an insignificant jewel. It's way more substantial thant the Cartier halo.

Was it ever worn by a queen consort or a consort to the heir apparent though ? That is my test for "significance".

PS: The Queen Mother wore the Papyrus, but only as Duchess of York, and then Princess Margaret had it as one of her personal tiaras.

Last edited:
I disagree! It was good enought for the former Duchess of York, aka Queen Mum. It was also good enough for Princess Margret. It's beautiful, and the Duchess of Cambridge can wear it with pride.

Who cares? We should all be happy she is there in a tiara! :)

She looks fabulous! Thanks goodness her hair is up! Great height to the tiara... Much better than that little Halo tiara. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

well, so far kate isn't disappointing - she looks her usual poised self. i like the papyrus tiara - it's beautiful and delicate. maybe kate prefers to wait longer in her role to use something different and maybe more exotic. as much as i would like it, i think it wouldn't look good if she started using all the tiaras available out there, using some associated to other royals or digging out for some less known tiaras. she would be accused immediately of 'stealing the show' and of being a gold digger, so i think this choice is appropriate.

mme peng is looking great in that tailored white suit. what i found strange is that their gift to the queen was, among other things, some CDs of mme peng's music - i think that's slightly egocentric and inappropriate in my opinion but hey... (using a state visit to show off your previous life as a singer? really?)

i can't wait to see more pictures of the state dinner and what will happen tomorrow!

Stunning red dress...short sleeves...no Royal Family Order.

Based on the video from Telegraph, the Chinese First lady looked stunning. Catherine's, The Duchess of Cambridge, red dress was all right. I liked the delicate tiara. A Chinese lady, who walked with Prince William, had a much better red dress. Mrs Cameron's dress was noisy and odd.

Last edited:
The state banquet is live on BBC News Channel and Sky News. I know some of you complain of the lack of live images from event like this, but it's the media that normally don't bother to show it (if the guest isn't from the US or China.)

And both The Queen and Kate looks fabulous.

Kate looks beautiful and the red dress is fabulous. I love that she's wearing the Lotus...I much prefer it to the Halo.

Looks like no RFO.

The procession was just in ! Catherine is seated next to President Xi, but hidden behind a chandelier though. I am not so keen on her red dress. A frail Queen Elizabeth is speaking now.

PS: She is not frail while speaking, but looked frail when she was coming in. She just explicitly mentioned Prince William's recent trip to China.

Last edited:
Kate is wearing the heck out of that tiara on Sky News right now!

I hadn't thought much of it before now but it's just wonderful against her dark hair. A great shape and size for her!

Well, based on what I can see from the screen caps, Kate looks fabulous - I love the tiara and the dress.

The procession was just in ! Catherine is seated next to President Xi, but hidden behind a chandelier though. I am not so keen on her red dress. A frail Queen Elizabeth is speaking now.

PS: She is not frail while speaking, but looked frail when she was coming in. She just explicitly mentioned Prince William's recent trip to China.

Could also see Princess Anne bet she was seated in the on the long side of the tablesin the middle and therefore could only be seen from the back when walking in.

President Xi is speaking now. Unfortunately no translation is available in the live stream.

PS: They've just shown Edward and Samantha Cameron. Also the Duke of Kent and Alexandra.

Last edited:
Kate must wear a tiara every day from now I think. It looks so AWESOME on her. She looks like a princess for 200% now!

Perhaps she will have the Royal Family Order for her 5th wedding anniversary or so. IMO, she should have received it already...

Kate looks beautiful! "Wearing that dress like she's doing it a favour"

Who's the lady wearing a tiara and sitting next to George Osborne? Anyone know?

Kate must wear a tiara every day from now I think. It looks so AWESOME on her. She looks like a princess for 200% now!

Perhaps she will have the Royal Family Order for her 5th wedding anniversary or so. IMO, she should have received it already...

Sophie didn't get hers until almost 5 years into her marriage and she's the only one we can really judge Kate by. I would imagine Kate will get it in the next year.

The lotus flower diadem is also nice seing the oriental connection of the motifs. The halo diadem has more quality, carat and a better design but the lotus does nicely with the guest from the far orient.

Sophie didn't get hers until almost 5 years into her marriage and she's the only one we can really judge Kate by. I would imagine Kate will get it in the next year.
But Camilla got hers 1 year after her marriage. And Kate has given birth to 2 children (including the future heir) now which Camilla of course could not.

No Family Order and no Sash for the Duchess of Cambridge.

Even Diana had only one sash (the House of Orange Order) and all this because Queen Elizabeth does not grant decorations to female spouses while she did to Prince Bernhard, Prince Félix, Prince Henrik and Prince Claus.

Because of reciprocity then the other head of state does not grant decorations to female spouses either. Queen Beatrix was not that narrow-minded and created Diana a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the House of Orange (Crown Order), the same Dutch Order as Prince Charles already had.

"The Dutch Order" (in Diana's own handwriting!) / collection of the Chancellery of the Netherlands Orders

Diana wearing the Order (State Visit Queen Beatrix 1982)

Last edited:
But Camilla got hers 1 year after her marriage. And Kate has given birth to 2 children (including the future heir) now which Camilla of course could not.

Its difficult to make sense of all this. Camilla got her RFO after one year but Sophie also has the Order of St John which Camilla doesn't.

Harry just got his first order earlier this year.

Last edited:
Even Diana had only one sash (the House of Orange Order) and all this because Queen Elizabeth does not grant decorations to female spouses while she did to Prince Bernhard, Prince Félix, Prince Henrik and Prince Claus.

Because of reciprocity then the other head of state does not grant decorations to female spouses either. Queen Beatrix was not that narrow-minded and created Diana a Dame Grand Cross in the Order of the House of Orange (Crown Order), the same Dutch Order as Prince Charles already had.

"The Dutch Order" (in Diana's own handwriting!)

Diana wearing the Order (State Visit Queen Beatrix 1982)

I am sure Kate looked lovely tonight, but, if you compare her to Diana on the 1982 State Banquet in honor of Queen Beatrix, you can see that the BRF is clearly downplaying their carat power. Not that the family doesn't have it anymore, but times are different now, I guess.

I am a little surprised that Kate does not have the RFO - but then she is only at the minute not a fully working royal so based on that i guess it takes longer to build up years of service to the Queen. Sophie again at the start was only a part time royal with a career and it wasn't until 2002 that she became a full working royal.

Its difficult to make sense of all this. Camilla got her RFO after one year but Sophie also has the Order of St John which Camilla doesn't.

Harry just got his first order earlier this year.

Camilla is a Dame Grand Cross in the Royal Victorian Order (picture), like Sophie. So she got her high decorations pretty quickly. The Order of St John given to Sophie is a different one, it is not a dynastic Order but an Order of chivalry, to award merits. Apparently Sophie has been contributing to the ideals of that Order (caring for the sick and the needy). Kudos for her.

I am sure Kate looked lovely tonight, but, if you compare her to Diana on the 1982 State Banquet in honor of Queen Beatrix, you can see that the BRF is clearly downplaying their carat power. Not that the family doesn't have it anymore, but times are different now, I guess.

I am sure that when King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima bring a State Visit to the United Kingdom, the carat power will go up. Today was a "businesslike" visit as the guests did not fully commit to the usual dresscode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla is a Dame Grand Cross in the Royal Victorian Order (picture), like Sophie. So she got her high decorations pretty quickly. The Order of St John given to Sophie is a different one, it is not a dynastic Order but an Order of chivalry, to award merits. Apparently Sophie has been contributing to the ideals of that Order (caring for the sick and the needy). Kudos for her.

I know but my point it difficult in Britain to make sense over who gets what and when.

The Order of St John is still awarded personally by the Sovereign and other royal ladies have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom