The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
State Visits before as for the former President of Poland Lech W. the whole royals were there, the 3 Kents, the Gloucester .
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all of those you mentioned in your post are involved somewhere in the various events that are going to be held during the Chinese state visit. Most likely though they'll be at the state banquet. We won't really know beforehand as its my understanding that the guest list is not released to the public.

This is a very big event between China and the UK. When William visited China last March on an official state visit, he presented the personal invitation from HM, The Queen to President Xi Jinping to visit the UK. It looks like they're definitely rolling out all the best red carpets (and the Chinese red flags too) and I'd be surprised if any of the extended royal family were left out. I'm really hoping we do get some photos from the state banquet.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

They have been doing the flag of the visiting nation and the Union Jack on the mall for several years. It isn't something new for this visit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with the posters who said the rehearsal was a bit eerie. It looked wonderful and almost in tune with the Halloween atmosphere...
Old 10-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

The Duke of Cambridge is to deliver a speech on the illegal ivory trade for broadcast on Chinese state TV, as the country's president arrives in the UK for a state visit.

Prince William to give ivory trade speech as China's President Xi arrives - BBC News
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles to miss State banquet because ‘he’s in need of rest’-
EXCLUSIVE Charles to miss State banquet because ‘he’s in need of rest’ | Royal | News | Daily Express

Nice try "wellinformed sources" but I don't think we're that crazy.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ Yeah. Charles just happens to be in need of 'rest' on the night of the Chinese State Banquet lol.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ Yeah. Charles just happens to be in need of 'rest' on the night of the Chinese State Banquet lol.
I mean..I'm not part of the Donald Trump crowd that will just believe anything,

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's called a diplomatic excuse ...
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Majesty

Frankly, I don't believe Charles even needs an excuse. He is not snubbing the Chinese president and his wife but on the contrary, will be not only meeting and greeting and welcoming them to the UK, but also lunch with them and have his own private time of discussion.

Perhaps its all been synchronized to perfection with Charles and Camilla remaining at home "to rest" () therefore putting William and Kate in a prime position to be able to fully participate in the state banquet as Will and President Xi Jinping will not only share conversations over dinner but also be seen together and put emphasis on the newfound cooperation that both countries are working towards with United for Wildlife's aims and purposes.

Maybe its only me but actually I see William's involvement in this state visit as more of a priority than Charles'. Out of all of the British Royal Family (and that includes HM herself), only William so far has an actual working relationship with President Xi Jinping himself.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry but they could not find another excuse? Perhaps more believable?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Frankly, I don't believe Charles even needs an excuse. He is not snubbing the Chinese president and his wife but on the contrary, will be not only meeting and greeting and welcoming them to the UK, but also lunch with them and have his own private time of discussion.

Perhaps its all been synchronized to perfection with Charles and Camilla remaining at home "to rest" () therefore putting William and Kate in a prime position to be able to fully participate in the state banquet as Will and President Xi Jinping will not only share conversations over dinner but also be seen together and put emphasis on the newfound cooperation that both countries are working towards with United for Wildlife's aims and purposes.

Maybe its only me but actually I see William's involvement in this state visit as more of a priority than Charles'. Out of all of the British Royal Family (and that includes HM herself), only William so far has an actual working relationship with President Xi Jinping himself.
Exactly! Although... will William even sit close to the president? Won't he be on the other side with the presidents wife? And the president be sitting with the Queen and Kate? Also, the banquet itself is not made for the deep discussions. That's done in the meetings :P But it might be a sign of William "hosting" the event more or less if he's that high up.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Exactly! Although... will William even sit close to the president? Won't he be on the other side with the presidents wife? And the president be sitting with the Queen and Kate? Also, the banquet itself is not made for the deep discussions. That's done in the meetings :P But it might be a sign of William "hosting" the event more or less if he's that high up.
Thanks for putting into words the concept I was fishing to find words for. In many ways, William is/was the go between for this state visit from personally delivering the invitation from HM and also probably the only person at the state dinner that Xi Jinping would be on familiar terms with before coming to the UK.
― John Lennon
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
According to the order of precedence (and if the Cambridges will attend the state dinner, still yet to be confirmed), the President will be seated between the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge (in the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall). Th China First lady will be seated between the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Cambridge.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
According to the order of precedence (and if the Cambridges will attend the state dinner, still yet to be confirmed), the President will be seated between the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge (in the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall). Th China First lady will be seated between the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Cambridge.
That was as I thought then :)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

According to the link, Charles and Camilla will attend the palace lunch though and will host President Xi for tea at Clarence House. As I said, it is a diplomatic way of snubbing the Chinese president (or, alternatively, Charles being intentionally sidelined by the British government) without showing that explicitly.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Charles' none attendance to the State Banquet could be seen as some kind of diplomatic snub, but whether is it or not I'm not sure we will ever really know.
One thing is for sure: given William's closer relations with China, the importance of his interest in anti-animal trading and his taking on more high-profile role in the family it seems to make sense that he would attend instead of Charles.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Majesty

Sometimes the best thing a father can do for his son is sit on the sidelines grinning from ear to ear with pride as his child makes his own mark on the world with confidence and grace.

I would imagine that Charles was very much settled somewhere watching his son's speech on Chinese TV with a big smile and a puffed out chest filled with pride thinking "that's my boy!"
― John Lennon
Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

According to these 'reliable' sources.

In August, Charles was going to completely snub the Chinese visit.

Two weeks ago, Charles was going to be sidelined during the Chinese visit.

Last week. Charles was not attending the luncheon or dinner.

According to official sources, Charles has a prominent role during the Chinese visit.

His tally with the President of China is now up to six.

1.) Charles will greet the Chinese Head of State at Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
2.) He will accompany the Head of State to the Horse Guards Parade.
3.) Charles & Camilla will meet privately at Clarence House with the Chinese President and his wife.
4.) The President and Madame Peng will join Charles and Camilla at The Prince's School for Traditional Arts.
5.) The President of China & Madame Peng will join Prince Charles and Camilla for tea.
6.) Charles will attend the Queen's luncheon.

The 'reliable' sources must not be very reliable.

I will wait for the pictures of Camilla in the Boucheron Tiara.
(Unless the President of China insisted on a less formal State Dinner then maybe only the Queen will be in her tiara.)

If photographs show Camilla or Anne seated next the President of China, I wonder if these so called 'reliable' source would crawl under a rock or will they spread more lies.

I'll await the outcome and their spin on things.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The State Banquet is not the most important part of this visit. Its the gloss.

Meeting between the President and the PM is key; meetings rank more highly than Banquets. Charles is meeting and talking to the President at Clarence House and William is talking to him at BP. Both of these are more meaningful IMO than the Banquet.

It seems to me that that both Charles and the Chinese have found a middle way and that is good. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some respect for a man who stands by his principles, even if they cannot say so.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-19-2015, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Another article from BBC News, including an overview of President Xi, a video of Prince William and a timetable of the visit:

Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in UK - BBC News