State Visit from the President of China: October 20-23, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I don't believe Charles even needs an excuse. He is not snubbing the Chinese president and his wife but on the contrary, will be not only meeting and greeting and welcoming them to the UK, but also lunch with them and have his own private time of discussion.

Perhaps its all been synchronized to perfection with Charles and Camilla remaining at home "to rest" :)rolleyes:) therefore putting William and Kate in a prime position to be able to fully participate in the state banquet as Will and President Xi Jinping will not only share conversations over dinner but also be seen together and put emphasis on the newfound cooperation that both countries are working towards with United for Wildlife's aims and purposes.

Maybe its only me but actually I see William's involvement in this state visit as more of a priority than Charles'. Out of all of the British Royal Family (and that includes HM herself), only William so far has an actual working relationship with President Xi Jinping himself.
Exactly! Although... will William even sit close to the president? Won't he be on the other side with the presidents wife? And the president be sitting with the Queen and Kate? Also, the banquet itself is not made for the deep discussions. That's done in the meetings :p But it might be a sign of William "hosting" the event more or less if he's that high up.

Exactly! Although... will William even sit close to the president? Won't he be on the other side with the presidents wife? And the president be sitting with the Queen and Kate? Also, the banquet itself is not made for the deep discussions. That's done in the meetings :p But it might be a sign of William "hosting" the event more or less if he's that high up.

Thanks for putting into words the concept I was fishing to find words for. In many ways, William is/was the go between for this state visit from personally delivering the invitation from HM and also probably the only person at the state dinner that Xi Jinping would be on familiar terms with before coming to the UK.

According to the order of precedence (and if the Cambridges will attend the state dinner, still yet to be confirmed), the President will be seated between the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge (in the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall). Th China First lady will be seated between the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Cambridge.

According to the order of precedence (and if the Cambridges will attend the state dinner, still yet to be confirmed), the President will be seated between the Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge (in the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall). Th China First lady will be seated between the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Cambridge.
That was as I thought then :)

Frankly, I don't believe Charles even needs an excuse. He is not snubbing the Chinese president and his wife but on the contrary, will be not only meeting and greeting and welcoming them to the UK, but also lunch with them and have his own private time of discussion.

Perhaps its all been synchronized to perfection with Charles and Camilla remaining at home "to rest" :)rolleyes:) therefore putting William and Kate in a prime position to be able to fully participate in the state banquet as Will and President Xi Jinping will not only share conversations over dinner but also be seen together and put emphasis on the newfound cooperation that both countries are working towards with United for Wildlife's aims and purposes.

Maybe its only me but actually I see William's involvement in this state visit as more of a priority than Charles'. Out of all of the British Royal Family (and that includes HM herself), only William so far has an actual working relationship with President Xi Jinping himself.

According to the link, Charles and Camilla will attend the palace lunch though and will host President Xi for tea at Clarence House. As I said, it is a diplomatic way of snubbing the Chinese president (or, alternatively, Charles being intentionally sidelined by the British government) without showing that explicitly.

Charles' none attendance to the State Banquet could be seen as some kind of diplomatic snub, but whether is it or not I'm not sure we will ever really know.
One thing is for sure: given William's closer relations with China, the importance of his interest in anti-animal trading and his taking on more high-profile role in the family it seems to make sense that he would attend instead of Charles.

Sometimes the best thing a father can do for his son is sit on the sidelines grinning from ear to ear with pride as his child makes his own mark on the world with confidence and grace.

I would imagine that Charles was very much settled somewhere watching his son's speech on Chinese TV with a big smile and a puffed out chest filled with pride thinking "that's my boy!" :D

According to these 'reliable' sources.:ermm:

In August, Charles was going to completely snub the Chinese visit.

Two weeks ago, Charles was going to be sidelined during the Chinese visit.

Last week. Charles was not attending the luncheon or dinner.

According to official sources, Charles has a prominent role during the Chinese visit.

His tally with the President of China is now up to six.

1.) Charles will greet the Chinese Head of State at Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
2.) He will accompany the Head of State to the Horse Guards Parade.
3.) Charles & Camilla will meet privately at Clarence House with the Chinese President and his wife.
4.) The President and Madame Peng will join Charles and Camilla at The Prince's School for Traditional Arts.
5.) The President of China & Madame Peng will join Prince Charles and Camilla for tea.
6.) Charles will attend the Queen's luncheon.

The 'reliable' sources must not be very reliable.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I will wait for the pictures of Camilla in the Boucheron Tiara.
(Unless the President of China insisted on a less formal State Dinner then maybe only the Queen will be in her tiara.)

If photographs show Camilla or Anne seated next the President of China, I wonder if these so called 'reliable' source would crawl under a rock or will they spread more lies.

I'll await the outcome and their spin on things.:D

Last edited:
The State Banquet is not the most important part of this visit. Its the gloss.

Meeting between the President and the PM is key; meetings rank more highly than Banquets. Charles is meeting and talking to the President at Clarence House and William is talking to him at BP. Both of these are more meaningful IMO than the Banquet.

It seems to me that that both Charles and the Chinese have found a middle way and that is good. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some respect for a man who stands by his principles, even if they cannot say so.

The State Banquet is not the most important part of this visit. Its the gloss.

Meeting between the President and the PM is key; meetings rank more highly than Banquets. Charles is meeting and talking to the President at Clarence House and William is talking to him at BP. Both of these are more meaningful IMO than the Banquet.

It seems to me that that both Charles and the Chinese have found a middle way and that is good. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some respect for a man who stands by his principles, even if they cannot say so.

I partly agree but its funny when W&K don't attend Banquets and the like so many people get worked up about it and stress the importance that they should be there but now that they're attending and Charles isn't it becomes just the 'gloss'

I partly agree but its funny when W&K don't attend Banquets and the like so many people get worked up about it and stress the importance that they should be there but now that they're attending and Charles isn't it becomes just the 'gloss'
Hahah, good point :p

The State Banquets have always been important. It's part of Her Majesty welcoming another Head of State to the UK.

do you mean me?

The 'needs to rest' excuse it garbage as it has been reported since this visit was announced that Charles wouldn't be at the State Banquet.

It makes sense to allow William to be in the position that Charles, if he attended, would fulfil, as it was William who personally delivered the official invitation for the visit.

This is a huge vote of confidence in William being made by Charles - 'see my elder son and his wife are ready for the big events on the international stage' is the message I am seeing in all of this.

Not a snub by Charles who will spend some quality time with the President - from the official greeting, in the carriages to BP and then again at their private meeting - while allowing William and Kate to make their debut at a State Visit. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles and Camilla aren't in the background that evening - see them off in person from KP, give some fatherly/step-mother-in-law advice etc and wish them well and even be waiting to hear all about it when they return (a chance for some 'baby-sitting even).

I have to agree. It's always been said that Kate and William must stay a bit in the background to not outshine the heir and his wife. Maybe this one is their grand occasion to glow... and it is an event that sooner or later they were bound to attend anyway...

I admire Charles stance on this. It's his way of putting focus on China's deplorable human rights record.

Charles is close to the Dalai Lama and in Tibet and China possessing a photo of the Dalai Lama will buy you time in a Chinese jail.

It's fantastic that someone with influence is making a stand. He is meeting with them but the fact that he refuses to attend the glitziest night of this visit is making a serious statement to the Chinese.

I think Charles will be a great king

I have to agree. It's always been said that Kate and William must stay a bit in the background to not outshine the heir and his wife. Maybe this one is their grand occasion to glow... and it is an event that sooner or later they were bound to attend anyway...

Agree. It's a perfect opportunity to use W&K. Nice PR for the BRF and for themselves.

I admire Charles stance on this. It's his way of putting focus on China's deplorable human rights record.

Charles is close to the Dalai Lama and in Tibet and China possessing a photo of the Dalai Lama will buy you time in a Chinese jail.

It's fantastic that someone with influence is making a stand. He is meeting with them but the fact that he refuses to attend the glitziest night of this visit is making a serious statement to the Chinese.

I think Charles is right in his principles, but I also admire Williams diplomacy. I mean... I wonder if they are playing a little "good cop, bad cop" now. Charles showing the world that this is not ok, while William is calming them and making them open up :p

There's room for both The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge's to attend this event. It don't have to be either or, but it's Charles's choice to not attend the banquet.

The State Banquets have always been important. It's part of Her Majesty welcoming another Head of State to the UK.

From a practical point of view, the State Banquet of course is not nearly as important as meetings with the prime minister, or certain business and trade agreements. However, the State Banquet is one of the greatest honors the monarch bestows upon the foreign visitor and is the high point of any State Visit. That is why the Royal Household puts out the best china, etc, which, otherwise, "does not see the light of day" as the Queen herself said in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u931xcXliWE

Last edited:
Have the names of the people attending the State Banquet been released?

Or is this a case of assuming?

Horror of horrors, Camilla could attend with William.:lol::lol::lol:
And Catherine can stay home with George who has a tummy ache that only mummy can cure.

Last edited:
Have the names of the people attending the State Banquet been released?

Or is this a case of assuming?

Horror of horrors, Camilla could attend with William.:lol::lol::lol:
And Catherine can stay home with George who has a tummy ache that only mummy can cured.
It has been confirmed that The Queen and Phillip will be there and Confirmed that Charles won't. The rest is "very probable guesses"

Camilla will not attend the state banquet alone.
In the absence of Charles, and according to the order of precedence, she's ranked AFTER the princesses by birth of the family (Anne and Alexandra). I doubt the duchess of Cornwall wants to be seen sided at the other end of the table....

Last edited:
There's room for both The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge's to attend this event. It don't have to be either or, but it's Charles's choice to not attend the banquet.

You keep saying it is Charles' choice.

Please produce actual evidence - i.e. a statement from CH or Charles' himself that says that it is his choice.

Otherwise you are stating as a fact something about which you are speculating.

Past history is not evidence of present decisions.

Camilla will not attend the state banquet alone.
In the absence of Charles, and according to the order of precedence, she's ranked AFTER the princesses by birth of the family (Anne and Alexandra). I doubt the duchess of Cornwall wants to be seen sided at the other end of the table....

That precedence applies ONLY when there are no men present AND is largely for private events only although Camilla did wait for Alexandra at a joint church service some years ago - for a few seconds.

If Camilla attends alone then she will take her precedence based on Charles' for the simple reason that there will be other male royals present and so they all take their precedence accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep saying it is Charles' choice.

Please produce actual evidence - i.e. a statement from CH or Charles' himself that says that it is his choice.

Otherwise you are stating as a fact something about which you are speculating.

Past history is not evidence of present decisions.

If Charles wanted to be there, he would be.

That precedence applies ONLY when there are no men present AND is largely for private events only although Camilla did wait for Alexandra at a joint church service some years ago - for a few seconds.

If Camilla attends alone then she will take her precedence based on Charles' for the simple reason that there will be other male royals present and so they all take their precedence accordingly.

what an interesting protocol. i didn't know this. is this specifically the way it is done in the UK household, or common to other royal houses? does this mean that in an event with the queen, beatrice and eugenie, alexandra, princess michael... camilla would come after all of them and before princess michael?

i also admire charles for his stance on this. bravo! if he can do it and doesn't, then who would?
i highly doubt however that when he is king this kind of behaviour would take place.

When Charles is King, he will have to follow the orders of the U.K. government. The Queen had to host a couple of dictators for state visits that she probably didn't want anything to do with but she had to do it because the government of the day wanted them to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

From a practical point of view, the State Banquet of course is not nearly as important as meetings with the prime minister, or certain business and trade agreements. However, the State Banquet is one of the greatest honors the monarch bestows upon the foreign visitor and is the high point of any State Visit. That is why the Royal Household puts out the best china, etc, which, otherwise, "does not see the light of day" as the Queen herself said in the clip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u931xcXliWE

Thank you for the video. I was surprised to realize how long ago this State Visit from Poland took place. Lech Walesa as President and the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Sir Angus Ogilvy in attendance. It sounded as though Prince Michael was speaking Polish or Russian to President Walesa. His cousin tells him to stop showing off.

If Charles wanted to be there, he would be.

Isn't this a bit of assumption?

Could Charles be under the weather? Or recovering from an illness?

Or maybe the Queen wants to promote Andrew?

We may see Andrew and Camilla at the head table,:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom